Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2008 5:26:35 PM EDT
I am going through my brass to sort what is usable and what is not. I really need to figure out how picky I need to be when it comes to the headspace readings I get from my Lyman gage. The pictures below are of 3 different cases. The first is clearly within usable limits, the third is clearly not usable. The middle one if borderline and I am trying to determine if it is in the usable or not category. This will help me decide how discriminating I have to be with the rest of my cases. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 6/19/2008 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Re-sized cases should look like pic #1...........Pic#2 and Pic#3 does not appear to pass my "M1 eye test."  Course, you could lay a straight edge across the end of the gauge............see IF the straight edge is touching the gauge or the case head.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I had 50 sized cases ready for trimming, but after rechecking them against your standards I have only 12 that are suitable for reloading. Any reason why so many cases would fall out of specs? Improper sizing perhaps?

I got these in a trade from someone on the EE who said they were once fired, but I wonder if these have been fired many more times than that.

Edit: I took your advice and placed a straight edge against the top, in most instances the case is only a sliver above the top of the gage, the area between the straight edge resting on the case and the gage itself is the equivalent of a sheet of paper or two.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had 50 sized cases ready for trimming, but after rechecking them against your standards I have only 12 that are suitable for reloading. Any reason why so many cases would fall out of specs? Improper sizing perhaps?

I got these in a trade from someone on the EE who said they were once fired, but I wonder if these have been fired many more times than that.

Edit: I took your advice and placed a straight edge against the top, in most instances the case is only a sliver above the top of the gage, the area between the straight edge resting on the case and the gage itself is the equivalent of a sheet of paper or two.

I can't say IF the cases you bought were actually, "once fired or not."

Anyway, try re-sizing cases this way........

6) I use a single station press (RCBS Rock Chucker). You could use a progressive Dillon IF you wanted to. It's a personal choice. But, with whatever press you choose, consider shell plate/shell holder and/or press "flex.”  I use a regular FL size/de-capper die, NOT the small base dies. To begin, FL size and de-cap, 1 or 2 cases for a test. Gauge the re-sized case(s), to confirm that the "correct size" has been achieved.  I use a Forster Products case gauge (the Wilson gauge is also a popular choice).  Insert a case into the die, the headstamped end of the case, needs to be at or between the high and low cuts on the gauge, to pass. This checks the headspace.  While the other end, is used to check if the case will need to be trimmed (a job for later on).   IF, it’s not the “correct size,” your die setting will need adjustment. Lower the ram and simply screw the die in or out a little. Don’t forget about the lock nut. Then, re-size another couple of test cases and check your work again. Repeat the test and adjustments, as needed.  When you're satisfied that your test cases are properly re-sized, do the entire lot.

IF the straight edge touches both the case head and the gauge (either at high or low cut, of the gauge)..........it passes.  IF the case is between the high and low cut on the gauge..........it passes.  

IF the straight edge touches the case and not the high cut side of the gauge.........it fails.  If the case is below the low cut on the gauge..........it fails.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Admittedly I am not using the most advanced of equipment, a Lee Hand Press, since I have just a small studio apartment to work in. Are there any techniques I could use to adjust my sizing weith this press to perhaps get better results? My die is a Lee full length resizing die.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
While the excess length may be slight, it wouldn’t take much (esp. in an AR) to jam things up.

Little strange that you’d have this much variation in a batch that presumably you sized all at the same time.

Any possibility the die loosened up on the press as you sized the cases?  (I’m assuming you used the Lyman gauge to initially set up the sizing die and were getting proper length cases at the start.)

Alternatively, maybe the expander ball caused an issue?  I’d try resizing the problem cases with the expander ball removed to see if that changes anything (though obviously that’s just troubleshooting and not ultimately a workable solution).

If the expander ball turns out to be the problem, maybe a bit more lubricant inside the neck would help.  Or maybe the ball needs to be polished.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet you got real big muscles by now........

I figure......that you're not getting the full benefit of the press re-sizing the cases "all the way."  It may be an issue of press flex or just plain, not having the case go "all of the way" into the sizer die.  So, press those handles together, "all the way."

Don't forget to use a good lube.

Aloha, Mark

PS........IT COULD BE that the LEE lock nut on the die got loose a bit.  Maybe enough to have the die move a bit?
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
You my want to add your comments (about the LEE hand press) to this thread.........

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=246599

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I went back and sent those cases through another resizing operation, and I now have only 14 that do not pass the gage test.

It appears I wasn't pressing the cases fully in when I was resizing, I was stopping on alot of them before the handle came fully in contact with the press body. I screwed the die in another 1/4 turn because it wasn't in quite far enough and I made sure each time I resized I  squeezed the press arm until it came in contact with the body. That really made the difference! Another newb mistake on my part.....learning curve:)

Thank you again for the helpful and friendly pointers in solving my problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes the case rims pick up dings (esp out of a semi-auto) and that will hang up the case in the gage.  They should still feed fine though in that situation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Well at least you'll have muscles.  Hey, maybe you could convince the girlfriend to help. Tell her, that re-sizing cases will expand her ___________.  Clear throat......

While, the rest us, will still be using those "girlie man" presses.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you,
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello,
I am new "reloader" and own a Lee Haqnd prees. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Take the cases that did not pass and turn then around. Try putting them in the guage base first. I bet they won't go.

It's the rim that is dinged up spin them in a lathe and file or just file the burrs off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top