Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 2/2/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980]
https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html
This is my first AR-308/AR-10 type rifle and it is awesome! Reviews and reports indicate this rifle is capable of running with the big names in the AR-308/ AR-10 pack. It is a best buy for the price and a serious contender. Don't be fooled by its entry level price. This is not an entry level rifle, but is it a top teir battle rifle?
The SIG-Sauer Tread 716i: 21st Century Battle Rifle

Expensive vs. Inexpensive: POF Revolution DI vs. Sig 716i

Would you choose a .308 for a fighting rifle? India's new Sig 716i rifle.

NEW Sig Tread 716i Review: A Long-Range AR-10

The Sig 716i TREAD .308 Win

Update 6/17/21
My SIG716I TREAD is an accurate and reliable rifle. I've shot 460rds throught it and it just keeps getting better. It's spec'd with the following gear.
Optic: Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD mounted in an Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm SPR mount.
BUIS:  Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights
Trigger: Stock single stage lightened from 8.5lbs to a clean crisp 4.5lb pull using the JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit.
Charging Handle: SIG716I Ambi Charging Handle.
Muzzle Attachment: SureFire ProComp 7.62 Muzzle Brake. Stock: VLTOR EMOD stock.
Attachments: Magpul M-LOK Rifle Bipod, Magpul M-LOK MVG, Magpul MOE-K2+ Pistol Grip.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#1]
@ctrop
Gonna post here too for reference. The Receiver Extension Tube (RET) on the 716I is 7½" exact. It is screwed all the way in. It also has 4 drainage holes similar to the 516G2 and HK416. I wonder if this Big Gurl can pass the Over the Beach test? Just another benefit of the 716I IMO.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@coregon @goloud
Can you guys help me out?

Are those excess gas venting holes in the RET or is the 716I "Over the Beach" capable?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GLD1980:
@ctrop
Gonna post here too for reference. The Receiver Extension Tube (RET) on the 716I is 7½" exact. It is screwed all the way in. It also has 4 drainage holes similar to the 516G2 and HK416. I wonder if this Big Gurl can pass the Over the Beach test? Just another benifit of the 716I IMO.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20221121_174053_jpg-2609479.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20221121_174159_jpg-2609481.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20221121_175212_jpg-2609496.JPG
@coregon @goloud
Can you guys help me out?

Are those excess gas venting holes in the RET or is the 716I "Over the Beach" capable?
View Quote

Great question. I have no clue - I never noticed them before. Neat find.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#3]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Great question. I have no clue - I never noticed them before. Neat find.
View Quote

@goloud

A few around the web think I shill for SIG and they cannot comprehend why I like SIG products so much.
It's really in the little details, small things like the 716I drainage holes or it's keyed handguard with a unique clamping system to increase handguard rigidy, or the dual ejectors on the bolt or extra venting holes on the carrier. This is where SIG is good at providing extra value and great craftsmanship at affordable price points for the level of quality attained.
Maybe it's also because I like their products so much I tend to focus on the positive not their negative and out of the 14 SIG's I've owned, only the first, a Gen1 556 SWAT FDE ever had an issue. Unfortunately a small roll pin not properly installed rendered the stock inoperable, but the weapon still functioned. SIG fixed the stock ASAP and sent me a new one too which I got lucky and sold for a profit!
I've read so many complaints about SIG customer service but their Firearms and Electro-Optics customer service has never failed me. Maybe it's because I practice and train with my firearms before I put something into my starting lineup so I am able to identify deficiencies, possible problems and concerns I may have and work with SIG to make my guns run like fine tuned automobiles. I don't compete and I live in this world with realistic expectations so I am easy to please I guess.

After being active on ARF lately I realize I am a poor.... Yet I found a way to spend over 13k with SIG in 2022. These fuckers got me good lol. This past Friday I finally got the 16" MCX G2 TAP from Proven.This has been my grail gun. I feel like I can finally work towards suppressors and NVG's now..... Although the 365 Macro, Cross and the M400 SDI Patrol X series would fit in my plans great. Only complaint I have is SIG needs to remove the "X"  moniker from all their guns and let the guns create their own fame. They will all do just fine. The X should be reserved for a special class of SIG pistol else they'll just be like XD's or other X type designations designed to hype up consumers with a name when the gun could of did even better without it.

Take it easy to all of you and have a great Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Been lurking around this thread for a while now and thx to you guys I just ordered the above model from Interstate Guns. Understanding and taking in all the pros and cons from this thread and others alike, I do believe for the price point I got it at, on sale, it was the best choice for my intended use. This will actually be my first 308 in an AR platform and I'm excited to see what it can do and what I can do with it, hopefully in the months to come I'll be able to report back with some good data.

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dee_NY:

Been lurking around this thread for a while now and thx to you guys I just ordered the above model from Interstate Guns. Understanding and taking in all the pros and cons from this thread and others alike, I do believe for the price point I got it at, on sale, it was the best choice for my intended use. This will actually be my first 308 in an AR platform and I'm excited to see what it can do and what I can do with it, hopefully in the months to come I'll be able to report back with some good data.

View Quote

@Dee_NY

Hell yeah that is good to hear!

We look forward to hearing your range reports and seeing some pics. Take it easy!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]

@Dee_NY

We look forward to hearing your range reports and seeing some pics. Take it easy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Dee_NY

Thanks and happy holidays...
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So looking to capitalize on the sales, can anyone advise me on which mags to get? Are they essentially the same or is there a significant difference dependent on the choices of ammo?

Magpul PMAG GEN M3  

OR

Magpul PMAG Gen M3 M118

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
So looking to capitalize on the sales, can anyone advise me on which mags to get? Are they essentially the same or is there a significant difference dependent on the choices of ammo?

Magpul PMAG GEN M3  

OR

Magpul PMAG Gen M3 M118

Thanks in advance...
View Quote

" is specifically designed for SR25/M110 pattern rifles using longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition up to 2.830" OAL*."
"To accommodate longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition, this magazine may not drop free from all makes of lower receivers."
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
@GLD1980

Man, I ended up going on a hike with the wife today and during the 5 hour collective car ride there and back I found this thread and went on the journey of reading through all 18 pages.

Thanks so much for putting this together and your dedication to spreading knowledge of the platform. It’s pretty awesome.

I’m on the precipice of picking up either a 716i Tread or a Ruger SFAR after the holidays if I can find either in stock. Does the current 716i still come with the same trigger now as it did in years past? I like the look of the Snakebite model but even the normal 716i is topping out my budget so I don’t think it’s in the cards for me, sadly. I’m not as tech savvy with guns as many on this forum but I really liked all of the things previously discussed on the Sig (almost too many positives to mention).

Do we have any leads on where might be the best place to pick one one of these up now? It seems that they’re going for $1500 most places I can find em. (1/2)
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Also I have to say I really appreciate all the suppressor talk. This will likely be my first and only auto loading .308/ 7.62 NATO rifle and I fully plan on it being my first suppressor host once my wife and I move from TN soon. Glad to see it still works well without modification and doesn’t have a silly amount of blowback in the shooter’s face.

It seems that the SFAR is still too new to have a thread of this caliber (heh) going for it, but I’m drawn to it as a competitor to the 716i on its low weight, parts compatibility, awesome price, adjustable gas block, and seemingly low recoil for the round it’s chambered in. If any of you have an SFAR and a 716i I’d be very interested to know your thoughts.

Realistically by the time I am ready to pull the trigger (heh) in a month or so I’m not sure if the SFAR will have the street cred for me to want to drop the coin on it. I know Ruger tends to beta test new products with their customers and I’m not certain I want to take that on.

It’s worth noting that my intended use for this rifle is fun, using it for some 3 gun/ 2 gun matches shooting in the “Heavy” division which sound like a ton of fun, and MAYBE hunting. Currently I run a Savage MSR-15 Recon but I’ve got a friend who runs a 716i and it just looks awesome.

Looking forward to reading more info!
(2/2)
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Even had to split this post up because I made an account to come comment and had a character limit for being a newbie
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:18:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#12]
@zachatac

Thanks for dropping in... So let me start by saying that between the 2 rifles your looking at the Ruger SFAR is definitely going to be noticably lighter when it comes to 2 gunning and features an adjustable gas block, 5R barrel and some other cool features. It is costs less and the initial reviews seem pretty damn good..... Admittedly I also love my Ruger's, but that's where the line ends and the SIG in my opinion will keep on going. The SIG is a masterpiece for the price... With it's rifle length gas system, the extra gas venting ports in the bolt carrier, and its H2 Buffer, it does not need an adjustable gas block. Suppressor feedback has been remarkable. Ofcourse some have choosen a suppressor with poor compatibility but with its tapered muzzle I would imagine SIG Suppressos would probably perform the best. Yes the SIG weighs more but it is built up. The rail on the Ruger appears to be the same rail from the MPR I own and it is most likely not the best for zero hold reliability but it's a good handguard. Yes you can change it to a much better handguard but you get where I am going...? More costs as things start adding up which will happen with the SIG too, so don't get caught up by initial costs! The SIG716I has a keyed handguard with a dual screw locking clamp on the top of the handguard and above the barrel nut that creates it's rigidy....
The 716I is designed specifically for the Indian Ministry of Defense, to be fielded along the Line of Control (LOC) bordering Pakistan and China, a very harsh terrain with close, intermediate and longer range engagements at varying weather extremes. The 716I is built up to withstand the rigors of combat in this environment, it wasn't designed to be the lightest rifle on the block, which the Ruger may be in comp with POF for by the way!
Another beauty of the Ruger is it's less proprietary than the SIG, readily accepting a range of aftermarket accessories whereas the SIG is more proprietary but built with attention to fine detail from a great manufacturer. Look at the SIG gas block, it's pinned in with dual pins that are huge and very difficult to remove. It's barrel is built up, for automatic fire if applicable, and its gas system and buffer system is timed to provide a soft shooting experience. The only changes necessary or allowable to the 716I are all user preference items anyways ie. the charging handle, trigger, stock and grip.

Honestly, I too want a Ruger SFAR, has a quick Recce type, handy light heavy hitting AR for SHTF, Hunting or bugging out. My 716I is setup in a DMR/CSASS type role. I would not want to run and gun with the 716I set up like this but I could If forced. Although the SFAR and an LPVO or Red Dot/Magnifier combo would be dope....

Good luck with whatever you choose man! Either gun will outlive us I bet so either will be a great choice... They're just built for different tasks but the 716I stripped will still hold its own IMO.

716I is $1499 everywhere and looks like most qualified professional deals are OOS. Any one else know of good deals chime in please!
GunDeals had this deal on the Snakebite
https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/sig716i-tread-snakebite-308win

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone switched to 18’ in the Sig?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine today! This is a badass gun! Recoil is surprisingly smooth and gentle for a .308

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#15]
Originally Posted By styles:
Has anyone switched to 18’ in the Sig?
View Quote

@styles
I honestly didn't know SIG made the 716I in an 18" barrel. Where did you find 18" models? I know one of the older 716G1 DMR piston guns came with an 18"bbl I believe but other than that please let us know where to go.

Thanks

Originally Posted By ErauRifleman:
Just got mine today! This is a badass gun! Recoil is surprisingly smooth and gentle for a .308

https://imageshack.com/i/pmUG4JNEj
View Quote

@ErauRifleman

Great looking 716I. I am very glad you got one. It's a great, tough and reliable gun and it is so fun to shoot. Keep us posted on your experiences with your 716I! Welcome to the club.

ETA... Is that the Bravo4 BattlePack you have mounted for an optic?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn’t say they offered 18” models. I’m asking if anyone has switched barrels.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By styles:
I didn’t say they offered 18” models. I’m asking if anyone has switched barrels.
View Quote

My apologies, I misunderstood you. Great question though. I too look forward to any answers that come out.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#18]

@ErauRifleman

Great looking 716I. I am very glad you got one. It's a great, tough and reliable gun and it is so fun to shoot. Keep us posted on your experiences with your 716I! Welcome to the club.

ETA... Is that the Bravo4 BattlePack you have mounted for an optic?
View Quote

Yep sure is. I really like the Bravo4 Battle Pack. It’s an optic I found that fits very well with a lot of different rifles I have and it’s crystal clear. Very good optic for the money
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Aero Precision M5 AR-10 5,000 Round Test

Team 716,

Guess what I'm doing right now.....?

I am laughing my ass off thinking of all the people who said pass on SIG junk and get the Aero Precision M5E1. They said it was the way to go and a much better rifle for the money than the 716I. They said that Aero uses Ballistic Advantage barrels and BA guarantees 1MOA.

Frankly I am at a loss for words and I don't know what to say.... I'm starting to think that maybe "THEY" were wrong! I understand this is a small representation of Aero's total M5E1 sales but I'm sure SIG has also distributed more AR-308's to date compared to Aero, and there exist no such video of a 716I struggling to make hits or operate.

@lucasbotkin if your on ARF, I can send you my SIG716I to test out? I can also reach out to SIG and ask if they can sponsor ammo for the testing....

I wonder how my 716I would fare? What do you all think?

Dan
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLv2k9NuIJU
Team 716,

I am laughing my ass off thinking of all the people who said pass on SIG junk and get the Aero Precision M5E1. They said it was the way to go and a much better rifle for the money than the 716I. They said that Aero uses Ballistic Advantage barrels and BA guarantees 1MOA.

Frankly I am at a loss for words and I don't know what to say.... I'm starting to think that maybe "THEY" were wrong! I understand this is a small representation of Aero's total M5E1 sales but I'm sure SIG has also distributed more AR-308's to date compared to Aero, and there exist no such video of a 716I struggling to make hits or operate.

@lucasbotkin if your on ARF, I can send you my SIG716I to test out? I can also reach out to SIG and ask if they can sponsor ammo for the testing....

Dan
View Quote

you do know that they ran it without lube until round #2336, and then they lubed it.  Video would more appropriately be titled "how many rounds can you go without lube, suppressed".

I would like to see the 716I perform the same test, and the SFAR.  no lube, overgassed out the wazoo, go.  It would be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

you do know that they ran it without lube until round #2336, and then they lubed it.  Video would more appropriately be titled "how many rounds can you go without lube, suppressed".

I would like to see the 716I perform the same test, and the SFAR.  no lube, overgassed out the wazoo, go.  It would be interesting.
View Quote

Agreed, I am going to reach out to Lucas about that. It would be great to see if it's tough enough. I am glad he didn't say anything disparaging about Aero!
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Agreed, I am going to reach out to Lucas about that. It would be great to see if it's tough enough. I am glad he didn't say anything disparaging about Aero!
View All Quotes

no, but you sure did...
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#23]

no, but you sure did...
View Quote

Where did I say anything negative about Aero @x248716x ?
Go through all 18 pages of this thread... I doubt it I've ever said anything negative about Aero.
Many have said that the Aero is either the better gun or better value and I handled objections by comparing facts! I do still think my 716I is a better gun but I never said the Aero is a piece of shite. This is a one gun sample and there are many stories of Aero's performing great, but there are no videos of a SIG716I struggling period is my point!
Not one video and with the sample size of SIGs in the wild we should've had many already according to the naysayers.

I personally want to see a SIG, Ruger, DD, Aero, POF, Springfield & S&W shoot out. I would bet on either the SIG or DD coming out on top but the Ruger may honestly surprise us. Winner goes against LMT, H&K, LaRue, Knights and Noveske to see if the entry and mid teir guns can run with the big boys!
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Go through all 18 pages of this thread... I doubt it I've ever said anything negative about Aero.
Many have said that the Aero is either the better gun or better value and I handled objections by comparing facts! I do still think my 716I is a better gun but I never said the Aero is a piece of shite. This is a one gun sample and there are many stories of Aero's performing great, but there are no videos of a SIG716I struggling period is my point!
Not one video and with the sample size of SIGs in the wild we should've had many already according to the naysayers.

I personally want to see a SIG, Ruger, DD, Aero, POF, Springfield & S&W shoot out. I would bet on either the SIG or DD coming out on top but the Ruger may honestly surprise us. Winner goes against LMT, H&K, LaRue, Knights and Noveske to see if the entry and mid teir guns can run with the big boys!
View All Quotes

no, but you sure did...

I would agree that you did not say anything disparaging about Aero, that the inference would be entirely up to the reader of what you said, if that were the case.

I also agree on the point of equal testing of the SIG, but would not say HA until we see the results of those tests. I have about enough South African R1M1 to run such a test, but that's gotta last me
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

I would agree that you did not say anything disparaging about Aero, that the inference would be entirely up to the reader of what you said, if that were the case.

I also agree on the point of equal testing of the SIG, but would not say HA until we see the results of those tests. I have about enough South African R1M1 to run such a test, but that's gotta last me
View Quote

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I appreciate your views and opinions and thank you for always keeping us on point and technical. I would love to see the SIG run through it's paces... I believe it would do well but if it didn't then we ask SIG to refine it!

You should see the raucous I've caused at the SnipersHide lol....
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/the-sig-716i-tread-308-may-be-the-best-ar-308-ar-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/

Take a peek at the last page some just really hate SIG.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonecutter6] [#26]

View Quote

They then called the test after a "bolt failure" that was in reality a $0.75 pin. They were willing to swap out an entire BCG, buffer spring, and Charging Handle; but they weren't willing to change out a cheap pin. The reality of the situation is that it is likely those pins are made by relatively few manufacturers and aren't sexy for the boutique folks to churn out. Most bolts, be they high to low-end likely have the same pin inside. After listening to their initial criteria for testing, they were willing to buy another $1200 rifle if it failed in the first 800rds. Odd for sure, machines break, especially if they aren't properly oiled/lubed. You wouldn't run your Toyota or Porsche without oil, why run a gun dry especially in hot, dry, dusty weather with high round count days. It looked like a pretty good test but calling it for the failure that they called it seems odd.

That all being said, I snagged a 716I Snake Bite this afternoon and I am definitely ready to build it up and start running some rounds down range with yall. Picked it up at Smokey Mountain Guns & Ammo in East TN. They had six of the black rifles in-stock, of which I had originally intended to pick up. I went with the Snake Bite because it had a better trigger and tbh I was going to paint the black one anyway, might as well get one with the FDE. Here's hoping the extra $200 over the base model is worth it.

I traded out the slim-line stock with a Magpul CTR, I swapped the Sig grip with a Magpul MIAD, additionally I removed the small forward handstop/grip. I did find it odd that for a rifle with 2 QD sling swivels built into the receiver there was not a forward QD on the rail. That was easily remedied with some 550 cord as a temporary fix until an MLOK QD gets purchased. I snagged a pair of M118LR Magpul mags for this rifle as well, too bad they are 25rd mags, would have liked them to be 20s as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Stonecutter6:

They then called the test after a "bolt failure" that was in reality a $0.75 pin. They were willing to swap out an entire BCG, buffer spring, and Charging Handle; but they weren't willing to change out a cheap pin. The reality of the situation is that it is likely those pins are made by relatively few manufacturers and aren't sexy for the boutique folks to churn out. Most bolts, be they high to low-end likely have the same pin inside. After listening to their initial criteria for testing, they were willing to buy another $1200 rifle if it failed in the first 800rds. Odd for sure, machines break, especially if they aren't properly oiled/lubed. You wouldn't run your Toyota or Porsche without oil, why run a gun dry especially in hot, dry, dusty weather with high round count days. It looked like a pretty good test but calling it for the failure that they called it seems odd.

That all being said, I snagged a 716I Snake Bite this afternoon and I am definitely ready to build it up and start running some rounds down range with yall. Picked it up at Smokey Mountain Guns & Ammo in East TN. They had six of the black rifles in-stock, of which I had originally intended to pick up. I went with the Snake Bite because it had a better trigger and tbh I was going to paint the black one anyway, might as well get one with the FDE. Here's hoping the extra $200 over the base model is worth it.

I traded out the slim-line stock with a Magpul CTR, I swapped the Sig grip with a Magpul MIAD, additionally I removed the small forward handstop/grip. I did find it odd that for a rifle with 2 QD sling swivels built into the receiver there was not a forward QD on the rail. That was easily remedied with some 550 cord as a temporary fix until an MLOK QD gets purchased. I snagged a pair of M118LR Magpul mags for this rifle as well, too bad they are 25rd mags, would have liked them to be 20s as well.
View Quote

@Stonecutter6

Welcome to the club! Honestly I believe Aero to be a solid rifle. Had the gun been given a proper once over and been properly lubed it would of ran better I'm sure. The accuracy seemed off for the BA 1 MOA guarantee. That was an Aero Factory M5E1 DMR right? I was expecting more. Small sample though means nothing definitive. Although it did bring me a smile thinking of all the individuals that went out of their way to either warn me from purchasing a SIG, criticize the 716I platform for being SIG Indian junk, or find another excuse to not accept that it is a solid rifle.

Personally I think your rifle is worth it in just the Stock & Trigger upgrade, that's not even counting the Compensator or finish. Post some sweet pics of how you set it up! Let us know how it shoots and share experiences with it whenever you get time. Take care!

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#28]

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I appreciate your views and opinions and thank you for always keeping us on point and technical. I would love to see the SIG run through it's paces... I believe it would do well but if it didn't then we ask SIG to refine it!

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/the-sig-716i-tread-308-may-be-the-best-ar-308-ar-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

There is a lot of SIG hate going around in just about every forum. Individuals sacred cows are being gored by SIG, weather it be pistol or rifle, causes some interesting reactions.

I'd love to see the 716 with the ambidextrous bolt hold open/release.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

There is a lot of SIG hate going around in just about every forum. Individuals sacred cows are being gored by SIG, weather it be pistol or rifle, causes some interesting reactions.

View Quote

@Zerlak

Agreed on all points especially on the SDI type fully Ambi 716I. The new Snakebite SE is a step in the right direction. @Stonecutter6 did your SE come with the Ambi Charging Handle too?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#30]

@Zerlak

Agreed on all points especially on the SDI type fully Ambi 716I. The new Snakebite SE is a step in the right direction. @Stonecutter6 did your SE come with the Ambi Charging Handle too?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

@Zerlak

No Ambi-CH on mine. That is one thing that is very annoying right out of the box. That tiny little latch is easy to miss when going for the CH. If it is supposed to be an Ambi-CH I'll definitely make the call to Sig. They did hook me up with a free Ambi-CH on my Gen 1 MPX a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I am sure it has been covered but I added the Sig Ambi CH and I also added the Odin MPX - Extended Mag Release to my 716i.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#32]
ARCA rail on the bottom of the 716i is a great fit for those who like ARCA

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#33]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLv2k9NuIJU
Team 716,

Dan
View Quote

For what it's worth outside of AR15.com Aero's 308 BCGs are known to be shit and the source of many reliability issues with the platform. It's not surprising most of Lucas' issues were related to that. The M5 receivers are good to go as are the lower parts. I would not use a BA barrel or Aero BCG in an M5 build I expected to run hard and be accurate. I would expect the 716i to chug right along without issue as it should being a standard issue infantry rifle.

I don't have a whole lot of rounds through my 716i. It's hovering right around 1000 with the majority being M80 ball and some hunting ammunition. With an H3 buffer and silicon on the charging handle there is almost no gas to face with my Sandman S installed and it runs without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 8:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#34]
Originally Posted By jhon:

For what it's worth outside of AR15.com Aero's 308 BCGs are known to be shit and the source of many reliability issues with the platform. It's not surprising most of Lucas' issues were related to that. The M5 receivers are good to go as are the lower parts. I would not use a BA barrel or Aero BCG in an M5 build I expected to run hard and be accurate. I would expect the 716i to chug right along without issue as it should being a standard issue infantry rifle.

I don't have a whole lot of rounds through my 716i. It's hovering right around 1000 with the majority being M80 ball and some hunting ammunition. With an H3 buffer and silicon on the charging handle there is almost no gas to face with my Sandman S installed and it runs without a hiccup.
View Quote

@jhon

We must be cosmic brothers because everything you typed is exactly how I feel. I didn't actually know Aero's BCG's had issues but it didn't do too hot in that video. My main takeaway really was the BA barrel accuracy issues. I would still build off an Aero receiver set in a heartbeat and that video did nothing to make me think lesser of Aero or lose confidence. I just thought it funny because Aero owners have talked some serious smack about the 716I.... It's awesome to hear your gun runs solid with the can and I like your trade craft for getting no gas to the face, that's smart.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone used a 716 with sf rc2 762 ?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By xxflyingturtlexx:
Has anyone used a 716 with sf rc2 762 ?
View Quote

@goloud has supported this thread with his silencer usage reports. They can be found about 7-8 pages back. They are also published on The Firearms Blog (TFB) I believe. Run a search on TFB and it should turn up results
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]

@goloud has supported this thread with his silencer usage reports. They can be found about 7-8 pages back. They are also published on The Firearms Blog (TFB) I believe. Run a search on TFB and it should turn up results
View Quote

Thank you GLD.

I don’t have that Surefire can, but I’ve run several others. It suppresses nicely.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
For those interested, I called Sig customer service the other day and was actually able to order some spare parts for my 716
to have on hand.  I was able to order firing pin retaining pins and other small parts and that have started to come in.

I was also able to place an order for firing pins, but they are not cheap.  $49.95 each.  

At least they are becoming available.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#40]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Thank you GLD.

I don’t have that Surefire can, but I’ve run several others. It suppresses nicely.
View Quote

@goloud
Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By scottfn308:
For those interested, I called Sig customer service the other day and was actually able to order some spare parts for my 716
to have on hand.  I was able to order firing pin retaining pins and other small parts and that have started to come in.

I was also able to place an order for firing pins, but they are not cheap.  $49.95 each.  

At least they are becoming available.  

View Quote

@scottfn308
This is great news. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By ErauRifleman:
https://imageshack.com/i/pm7YfwQnj
View Quote

@ErauRifleman
That's one sexy SIG. Congrats!

So on to other news fellow 716I enthusiasts....

After recently stirring the pot at SnipersHide over the 716I a fellow user respectfully asked if I could post a 716I vs LaRue OBR thread in the LaRue Industry Forum here. I already know the OBR is a beast but is it worth the extra money? I honestly don't know. Anyone with experience with both rifles please chime in with honest unbiased opinions. It's a tech forum so keeping it focused on specs and not feelings is what I am hoping to find.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/LaRue-OBR-vs-SIG-716I/219-302997/
Thanks for all of your time. Take care.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:10:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#41]
@goloud
I just read this TFB article and found it very interesting.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/12/27/tfb-review-ruger-sfar/
I have a few Rugers and every time after properly inspecting, I've had to straighten rails or properly  torque bolts to spec, but my Ruger barrels have been pretty spot on. I havent tried to shoot dimes at distance yet but that is next for all my big guns. It's funny though because the SIG Haters here and over at the S-Hide have swore Ruger is a better option than the SIG but I wanted to let the dust settle before I make my mind up even though I will eventually get one. I'm sure it is a great rifle, or has potential to be but I do not think it is a SIG 716I. It may be lighter but in regards to durability in reference to firing schedules or harsh environment performance, I don't see the SFAR keeping up. I may be wrong but I see the Ruger SFAR has bringing lightweight, reliable and accurate to the table against the SIG's sheer structural strength, durability, reliability and accuracy. After reading the TFB article I am starting to think I may be wrong and the Ruger is not the new Bell at the Ball! What's your take Pete? I appreciate your research, findings and views!

Thanks for your time!

Dan

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I was surprised by the accuracy issues in the Ruger SFAR review. Ruger is a great company to work with who has maintained quality while producing innovative firearms.

I have a SFAR sitting in the box ready to review. I need to get it out on the range.

Thanks for reading Dan!

@goloud
I just read this TFB article and found it very interesting.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/12/27/tfb-review-ruger-sfar/
I have a few Rugers and every time after properly inspecting, I've had to straighten rails or properly  torque bolts to spec, but my Ruger barrels have been pretty spot on. I havent tried to shoot dimes at distance yet but that is next for all my big guns. It's funny though because the SIG Haters here and over at the S-Hide have swore Ruger is a better option than the SIG but I wanted to let the dust settle before I make my mind up even though I will eventually get one. I'm sure it is a great rifle, or has potential to be but I do not think it is a SIG 716I. It may be lighter but in regards to durability in reference to firing schedules or harsh environment performance, I don't see the SFAR keeping up. I may be wrong but I see the Ruger SFAR has bringing lightweight, reliable and accurate to the table against the SIG's sheer structural strength, durability, reliability and accuracy. After reading the TFB article I am starting to think I may be wrong and the Ruger is not the new Bell at the Ball! What's your take Pete? I appreciate your research, findings and views!

Thanks for your time!

Dan

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#43]
@coregon

Is there any chance you can provide information on the 2nd batch of 72,000 716I's that were ordered by India?

I was surprised when a user at  SnipersHide posted a few Indian News "Fluff" Hit pieces about India scrapping the 2nd 716I contract due to failures to extract and reliably function.... I am 99.999% sure this is all BS and I've already reached out to India end users through a forum of theirs here.
https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/indian-army-sig-sauer-716-assault-rifle.81277/page-103
They've clarified the issue has not being gun related but directly related to out of spec OFB manufactured dirty machine gun ammo being used on 716I's and that the news stories are just BS National Inquirer type sources.

Is this all rumor mill BS or can you possibly shed some light on this issue?

Thanks for your time,

Happy New Years!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#44]
@coregon

Is there any chance you can provide information on the 2nd batch of 72,000 716I's that were ordered by India?

I was surprised when a user at  SnipersHide posted a few Indian News "Fluff" Hit pieces about India scrapping the 2nd 716I contract due to failures to extract and reliably function.... I am 99.999% sure this is all BS and I've already reached out to India end users through a forum of theirs here.
https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/indian-army-sig-sauer-716-assault-rifle.81277/page-103
They've clarified the issue has not being gun related but directly related to out of spec OFB manufactured dirty machine gun ammo being used on 716I's and that the news stories are just BS National Inquirer type sources.

Thanks for your time,

Happy New Years!
View Quote

Their issues were 100% ammo and other decision related.  

They complained of FTE, which was proven to be ammo.  They complained of inability to meet their accuracy req's (which included an optic), while not providing an optic to their end-users, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currently] [#45]
Originally Posted By coregon:

They complained of FTE, which was proven to be ammo.  They complained of inability to meet their accuracy req's (which included an optic), while not providing an optic to their end-users, etc.
View All Quotes
@coregon

Thanks for your time,

Happy New Years!

Funny coincidence, those were the same complaints why I got rid of my 716 first gen and its replacement second gen after I returned it to the factory 3 times.  (Not 716i).  

Can tell you for a fact it wasn’t ammo as I spent almost a grand on milsurp, Federal Gold Match, and every other brand I could get my hands on.  Three different optics that performed excellent on other platforms.  Four other shooters, two of them I consider better than my skill level.  I got minute of pie plate no matter what I shot.  

Only way to reliably unload a chambered round was to shoot it out or take a billy club to the charging handle. Motaring was rarely successful.  

I sold it at a loss with full disclosure to a dealer that did gun shows.  

It is curious that the same complaints are emerging.  

OTOH, my 516 is a tack driver and has never hiccuped on any ammo.  So they killed the model … can’t get parts anymore that are proprietary.

ETA: Autocorrect sucks
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Currently:

Funny coincidence, those were the same complaints why I got rid of my 716 first gen and its replacement second gen after I returned it to the factory 3 times.  (Not 716i).  

Can tell you for a fact it wasn’t ammo as I spent almost a grand on milsurp, Federal Gold Match, and every other brand I could get my hands on.  Three different optics that performed excellent on other platforms.  Four other shooters, two of them I consider better than my skill level.  I got minute of pie plate no matter what I shot.  

Only way to reliably unload a chambered round was to shoot it out or take a billy club to the charging handle. Motaring was rarely successful.  

OTOH, my 516 is a tack driver and has never hiccuped on any ammo.  So they killed the model … can’t get parts anymore that are proprietary.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Currently:
@coregon

Thanks for your time,

Happy New Years!

I don’t know the details of your situation.  My comments above are not my opinion, they are the admissions of the Indian military.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
@coregon

Thanks for your time,

Happy New Years!

@coregon

Thank you very much for the response. I assuming they used the above mentioned complaints as justification to cancel the remaining 72,000 units? Or are they still trying to achieve a better deal and renegotiate this deal?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I purchased a 716I tread for my son for Christmas. Worried about parts because I didn't research enough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
I purchased a 716I tread for my son for Christmas. Worried about parts because I didn't research enough.
View Quote

@NEXT23

I wouldn't worry to much about parts. If anything happens send it in and they will fix it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:I wouldn't worry to much about parts. If anything happens send it in and they will fix it.
View Quote

... until they run out of parts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Top Top