Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

MCX Spear (Page 1 of 29)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 29
Posted: 10/13/2019 10:28:09 PM EDT
GearScout Guide: First Look at the Sig Sauer MCX Spear (NGSW-R)

Saw it in GD.

Sig, shut up and take my money, once there's a civvie version. And then incorporate some of those goodies into the MCX.

@coregon

What's the scoop, buddy?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:
Finally got mine unfortunately it is neutered for CA almost feel embarrassed posting this…

Probably very few in CA at the moment. Just happy to have one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476203/IMG_7728_jpeg-2890687.JPG

Fixed stock/ no flashider and fin grip
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:
Finally got mine unfortunately it is neutered for CA almost feel embarrassed posting this…

Probably very few in CA at the moment. Just happy to have one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476203/IMG_7728_jpeg-2890687.JPG

Fixed stock/ no flashider and fin grip
View Quote

Just curious, what’s something like this going on the street in CA? I imagine it’s crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ErauRifleman:

Just curious, what’s something like this going on the street in CA? I imagine it’s crazy expensive.
View Quote

I haven’t seen another I didn’t pay crazy money for it under 4k with tax. I’m guessing it would be very expensive
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you go through Wilde Built Tactical. I know they have really good service for Cali compliant transfer and or do it in their AZ facility
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Muffins760:
Did you go through Wilde Built Tactical. I know they have really good service for Cali compliant transfer and or do it in their AZ facility
View Quote

No I haven’t heard of them to be honest.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone chopped the barrel on their Sig Spear yet? I want to cut it back to have an OAL 16” with a P&W
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Rainier Arms came through for me once again with my 4-32x50 NX8 NF.

Got it mounted up last night, looking forward to seeing how this rifle really preforms.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 5:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#9]
Got the SPEAR out to a local 100y indoor range today. Put 120 rounds through it, 175 FGM SMK, 168 FGM SMK, 168 Winchester subsonic and ppu M80 147. All shooting was done in about 2 hours, suppresses, and the gun was pretty hot.

Attachment Attached File

The federal 168 SMK shot better than the 175s. I did a lot of 3-5 shot groups with most around .75-1.5moa. I decided to shoot some 10s, ended up ~2moa.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 168gr subs were just for fun, minimal sound, almost no recoil. Shot 10” low and grouped about 4moa.

Finally the 147 M80 was a disaster, it was PPU so my expectations were limited. Patterned like a shotgun.

Attachment Attached File

I’m going to pick up a variety of 168s and see where that takes me.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I threw the SPEAR and the SCAR 17 on a scale the Spear is about 8 ounces heavier.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:18:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lenaburg] [#11]
So the mpx/mcx 2pos tele stock fits beautifully on the Spear. Gives it a HK G3 A3 collapse stock vibe. Also like the B5 fixed sopmod stock on the factory folder. Yes, she is thick and heavy. 13.5lb with the folder and full mag. Havent weighed it with the new collapse stock.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
She's a big girl.  But in a good way, like the chick that grew up on a farm tossing hay bales, but still looks slammin in a bikini.  Stronk like ox.

I finally got a hold of some Varget, so I'll load up some rounds and see what she can do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Are these CHF/CL barrels?  Button?  Nitrited?  I am looking for info on their website but it doesn't mention the barrel properties.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I joined a local 1000y range yesterday. Once it cools down a bit, we’ll see what happens when we start stretching her legs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward to seeing a thorough report! I haven’t seen any long-range accuracy tests on the SPEAR yet
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By htxdriller:
Looking forward to seeing a thorough report! I haven’t seen any long-range accuracy tests on the SPEAR yet
View Quote

I’m looking forward to it too. I’m pretty sure I’ll get out this weekend to ring some steel. Report to follow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone here any rumors on when Sig will release the 6.8/Fury barrels?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent my 16" barrel to get chopped to 13" turns out the handguard (7 mlok vs 8 mlok slots) and possibly the gas block or plug length is not the same and am unable to get it cut to 13". My fault for assuming it was the same

Anyone out there looking to trade thier 13" barrel and handguard for my 16" barrel and handguard?

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jle57:
Sent my 16" barrel to get chopped to 13" turns out the handguard (7 mlok vs 8 mlok slots) and possibly the gas block or plug length is not the same and am unable to get it cut to 13". My fault for assuming it was the same

Anyone out there looking to trade thier 13" barrel and handguard for my 16" barrel and handguard?

https://i.imgur.com/tyRpevb.jpeg
View Quote

Consider cutting to 14.5"?

Looks like that'll work unless the gas block on the 16" won't allow even that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Spear out today and shot it out to 800y. I am an absolute rookie at this stuff, I’ve never shot past 300 until today. I had an absolute blast and I think the rifle did excellent.

I shot 140rnds of federal GM 168SMK, verified my 100y zero with the scope and the RMR, then using the Hornady ballistics calculator stated working my way out to 800. We had a 11-13mph headwind but it was almost straight on so i didn’t have to mess with windage much.

Started prone, immediately my badger level broke, gotta be a fluke, I’m sure they will replace it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

100- zero
200- 2MOA elevation
300- 5MOA
400-10MOA
500-14MOA
600-18.5MOA
700-24MOA
800-30.5MOA

Anything under 500 took zero effort to keep it on steel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#21]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
It started getting hot so I moved below into the shade, tested my adjustments several times moving between distances.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Had 9 rounds left and decided to split them between 7 and 800 yards, ended up needing to add another MOA to my elevation but couldn’t tell until I drove down. Still pleased that I hit steel still 9 times.

700 5 shots
Attachment Attached File

800 4 shots
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent range report. Thanks!

Griff
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Well done, thank you for sharing
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#25]
Originally Posted By Jerad:

I have Sig Tango6T, it’s the appropriate optic for the XM7, but It’s not ideal for me. Too low of power, not an ideal 1x and resolution isn’t great.  I almost put a vortex Gen 3 1-10 on it, but decided I’d go with higher mag on this build in anticipation of the 277 barrel and ammo.

If I was sticking with .308, it would be the 1-10 vortex. I have one on a Super Duty and it’s amazing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
Any mid-range optic suggestions for the Spear?  I have a Razor II HD on my Scar 17, I have been meaning to switch to a Gen 3 with the 1 - 10 and think maybe that would be a good optic for the Spear as well, but the Razor is heavy.

I have a Nightforce 5 - 25 on an M82 but can't imagine putting something that big on the Spear.  I have a Nightforce 1 - 8 on my Spear LT, and a Trijicon Credo 2 - 8 on a Virtus.  I'm thinking maybe another Trijicon with an offset red-dot is a good balance.

I would like to SBR this gun with a 13" barrel and suppressor if they ever become available, maybe even just an ACOG?

Edit - and for what it's worth, I walked into my LGS yesterday looking for suppressors, and they had the Spear sitting on a display shelf for $4,153.  I couldn't say no.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1688875374686-2879984.jpg

I have Sig Tango6T, it’s the appropriate optic for the XM7, but It’s not ideal for me. Too low of power, not an ideal 1x and resolution isn’t great.  I almost put a vortex Gen 3 1-10 on it, but decided I’d go with higher mag on this build in anticipation of the 277 barrel and ammo.

If I was sticking with .308, it would be the 1-10 vortex. I have one on a Super Duty and it’s amazing.

Jerad I ended up with a Gen 3 Razor 1 - 3, installed it today.

I liked your Nightforce setup enough I copied it for an SR25 APC, should be arriving this week from Eurooptic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By doolz:

Consider cutting to 14.5"?

Looks like that'll work unless the gas block on the 16" won't allow even that.
View Quote

Yeah! If I can’t find a 13 to trade. The shop is recommending 14.675”, im seeing if he can make 14.5 work if im running a RC2.

If anyone has a 13 inch barrel and handguard they would want to trade plus 400 on my end lmk!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I took the Spear to a local indoor range to get the scope dialed in, was very happy with the gun.  Very pleasant to shoot, and the factory trigger is great.

I'm not a great shot but I think this will be ~1.5moa gun for me.  I haven't cleaned it yet and these were the first 60 rounds I put down range today.

This was 5, 5 shot groups with 168 gold match and a Razor Gen 3 1 - 10.  I had a little bit of a hard time with the eyebox at 10x magnification, may have to play with positioning of the scope a bit.

At any rate, I'm happy and had fun.

Even fits in my Geissele tennis bag...

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#28]
I cleaned the Spear, installed a Geissele MCX trigger, and checked the barrel torque.  I haven't seen exact specs for the Spear, but the LT is 60 in-lbs so I went with that.  If that is accurate, screw #1 was a little under-torqued.  Screw #2 was fine.

Not sure the Geissele trigger will be worth it - the factory trigger really is that good, and I have Geissele triggers on almost every rifle I own.  The factory did have a very subtle first stage, Geiselle has a more defined first stage.  We'll see.

Also always interesting to see the evolution of the bolt/carrier/spring assembly.  The Spear is very different than all the others.

Anyone know of an aftermarket charging-handle for the Spear?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I cleaned the Spear, installed a Geissele MCX trigger, and checked the barrel torque.  I haven't seen exact specs for the Spear, but the LT is 60 in-lbs so I went with that.  If that is accurate, screw #1 was a little under-torqued.  Screw #2 was fine.

Not sure the Geissele trigger will be worth it - the factory trigger really is that good, and I have Geissele triggers on almost every rifle I own.  The factory did have a very subtle first stage, Geiselle has a more defined first stage.  We'll see.

Also always interesting to see the evolution of the bolt/carrier/spring assembly.  The Spear is very different than all the others.

View Quote

Rifle looks great and the optics choice is solid! The G triggers are fantastic.

Did you remove the firing pin safety with the MCX trigger? I removed mine, I need to reinstall it and see if the rifle works, the hammers are pretty different.

I'll check my torque too, didn't consider that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Did you remove the firing pin safety with the MCX trigger? I removed mine, I need to reinstall it and see if the rifle works, the hammers are pretty different.

View All Quotes

I left the safety in place, the trigger I bought has that little shroud which I though makes it work?  I haven't yet taken it back to the range, I need to later this week and see if it has any issues.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]

I left the safety in place, the trigger I bought has that little shroud which I though makes it work?  I haven't yet taken it back to the range, I need to later this week and see if it has any issues.
View Quote

I could be wrong but that little metal bridge is just to support the hammer on recoil and minimize hammer breakage. The height of the hammers is what you need to look at. To lift the firing pin safety the OEM hammer is tall, I have a standard geissele trigger in mine not the MCX version and the hammer is much shorter. This is why it removed the firing pin safety. Left the spring. So far I’m only 240 rounds in, but it has been reliable. No light primer strikes during cycling leading to detonation when I don’t want a bang.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I went to the range and shot 20 rounds and it did fine.  No light primer strikes.

Obviously, that's not a huge sample size but so far,  so good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I went to the range and shot 20 rounds and it did fine.  No light primer strikes.

Obviously, that's not a huge sample size but so far,  so good.
View Quote

This is good to hear, I'd like to have my G trigger with the safety, I'll order a MCX trigger and see if it works in mine too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#34]
^^Not an absolute endorsement on my part, I need to shoot more rounds through it, but it seems to work.

I think it was all winchester white box/M80.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
@coregon

Looks like the newest XM7 rifles being delivered no longer have a forward assist.  Is that change going to follow to the civ side?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Wanted to get a more comfortable stock when shooting prone. I was at Triggrcon last weekend and saw this stock from Luth-AR. It fits the bill perfectly. Carbine stock with full adjustability. Stock still folds with the stock fully retracted. I’ll shoot it soon and see how it really functions.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Wanted to get a more comfortable stock when shooting prone. I was at Triggrcon last weekend and saw this stock from Luth-AR. It fits the bill perfectly. Carbine stock with full adjustability. Stock still folds with the stock fully retracted. I’ll shoot it soon and see how it really functions.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_4990_jpeg-2967502.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_4991_jpeg-2967503.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_4992_jpeg-2967504.JPG
View Quote

No more offset dot?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Wanted to get a more comfortable stock when shooting prone. I was at Triggrcon last weekend and saw this stock from Luth-AR. It fits the bill perfectly. Carbine stock with full adjustability. Stock still folds with the stock fully retracted. I'll shoot it soon and see how it really functions.

View Quote
I want the stock from the MCX-MR.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#39]

No more offset dot?
View All Quotes

No more offset dot?

It's there, on the right side, just not visible in the photos.

Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I want the stock from the MCX-MR.

O yea, that would be bad ass! A cross stock will fit, I just haven't tried one yet. I like that I can swap this stock in a few secs when I want to go back to my 1-6x.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#40]

It's there, on the right side, just not visible in the photos.

O yea, that would be bad ass! A cross stock will fit, I just haven't tried one yet. I like that I can swap this stock in a few secs when I want to go back to my 1-6x.
View Quote

What stock are you liking for the 1-6?

I’m still on the B5 wave with my Vudu 1-10
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Looks like a real competitor to the SCAR 20! What kind of accuracy are you seeing with that setup?
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks like the XM7 has some production changes based on soldier feedback:

Soldier Systems: US Army Begins Fielding Next Generation Squad Weapons

1. Remodeled handguard
2. Deletion of forward assist

"They also removed the forward assist from production versions of the XM7 to reduce the weight of an unneeded feature."

And so I guess that ends the forward assist debate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Klems:

1. Remodeled handguard

"They also removed the forward assist from production versions of the XM7 to reduce the weight of an unneeded feature."

View Quote

One user claims that the left side charging handle can be used as a forward assist.  That doesn’t seem right but I don’t have an XM7 to check myself.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

One user claims that the left side charging handle can be used as a forward assist.  That doesn’t seem right but I don’t have an XM7 to check myself.  
View Quote

It’s not. It’s a slide with a pin that acts on the front of the bolt carrier. Doesn’t forward assist anything
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]
When does the 6.5 Creedmore come out?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Klems:

1. Remodeled handguard

View Quote

What changed on the handguard?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Biggest change seems to be a shovel nose profile similar to the SURG and RSAR versions of the MCX.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 4:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#49]
N/m, really didn't belong!
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Was it in sale? $4200 now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 29
MCX Spear (Page 1 of 29)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top