Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2024 1:49:53 AM EDT
I live in Tennessee and do most of my shooting in Kentucky, near my parents house. My SBR just collects dust because I don’t want to do the form 5320.20 every time I want to take it shooting a mere forty-five minutes away, across state lines.

Is there a way to do the form to encompass a span of time, rather than having to do a form for every weekend?

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that you can fill in the form to cover a 365 day span within the calendar year. There are a couple of pages google will pull up from attorneys on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes fill in the dates with First day of year to last day of year. Note training purposes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are a couple of links:

Gun trust lawyer

National gun trusts
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, my understanding is you need to fill one out for each location that you plan to go to. I am not an expert at this, just been reading a lot lately due to just being approved to “build” my SBR. I am certain other members are more knowledgeable than I.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:
Yes fill in the dates with First day of year to last day of year. Note training purposes.
View Quote
This. I try to submit every November for the following January 1 through December 31. I submit one for each state I may go to.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:27:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#6]
Originally Posted By AuburnPhoenix:
Also, my understanding is you need to fill one out for each location that you plan to go to. I am not an expert at this, just been reading a lot lately due to just being approved to "build" my SBR. I am certain other members are more knowledgeable than I.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Also, my understanding is you need to fill one out for each location that you plan to go to. I am not an expert at this, just been reading a lot lately due to just being approved to "build" my SBR. I am certain other members are more knowledgeable than I.
I fill one out for the place I'll be going most often in each state.
Any date range, as long as it is no more than a year, should be acceptable. So, file one today to cover 14-Jan-24 to 13-Jan-25.

For purpose, avoid claiming things like practicing drivebys in Memphis and you'll be good to go. I boilerplate mine with "classes, recreation, and photo shoots."

Note - the AFT has a fillable form. ( Linky )  Save this to your computer and fill it out. (SAVE IT) Print, Sign, and either mail or scan & email to the ATF Fax address. When next year comes around, open the form, update the dates, print & sign again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I just do mine for a year at a time. Quick trips or heading to a state I don’t have a .20 for and want to bring something specific. I’ll just pull the stock off or put a brace on. Anything that gets it out of NFA configuration.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
Any date range, as long as it is no more than a year, should be acceptable. So, file one today to cover 14-Jan-24 to 13-Jan-25.

For purpose, avoid claiming things like practicing drivebys in Mephis and you'll be good to go. I boilerplate mine with "classes, recreation, and photo shoots."

Note - the AFT has a fillable form. ( Linky )  Save this to your computer and fill it out. (SAVE IT) Print, Sign, and either mail or scan & email to the ATF Fax address. When next year comes around, open the form, update the dates, print & sign again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:

For purpose, avoid claiming things like practicing drivebys in Mephis and you'll be good to go. I boilerplate mine with "classes, recreation, and photo shoots."

You can sign them electronically, you don’t have to print/sign/scan. The electronic signature just has to be wet ink style, it can’t be a computer font signature.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the quick responses and the references everyone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
You can specify up to a year. That’s what I do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Side Note - You cannot mix 'ownership' on one form.

If you have a mix of items registered to you personally, a Trust, LLC, and/or other entity, each of those items needs to be on a form filled out for that 'owner.'
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I do them for a year to bring mine to my cabin.  Typically do November to November as I do not head out there as much during the Winter.

They used to allow you to do one form with list of all guns attached; now they want only three per form.
Top Top