Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 6:21:11 PM EDT
Something to think about as you squeeze that first one off on a strange rifle.....

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Still havn't seen one !

Seen a few do that ( Pic ) with bad Bubba ammo and squibs though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Later,

Badredfish

Don't worry, It was only a SA Inc Commercial aftermarket Garand  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposedly it was the first time out.

Edit to add:  This is also typical of the damage  from the "Bad" Korean ammo if one lets go.

Do not know the ammo used in this particular incident.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, I don't think it going to buff-out!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
So what's the story with that picture?  Soft primer cause an out-of-battery experience?  Is the shooter ok?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]
HOLY CRAP!!!  

Hope noboby was hurt.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn. The shooter needs to ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
How big was the stain in his pants?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So what's the story with that picture?  Soft primer cause an out-of-battery experience?  Is the shooter ok?  

Not an OOB

Bad brass + hot ammo. What happens is the case head splits from the primer hole to the case rim, Hot pressurized gas takes the path of least resisteance which is down. Pressure blows out stock and usually any rounds left in enbloc, M1 stocks at least good quality GI ones usually break into 4 pieces, Butt, forend and two sides and sometimes bend the trigger housing down from the pressure. This cheasy Boyds really grenaded ! Probably saved the trigger housing at the least...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what happened to the shooter.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny, that looks just like what I said would happen with a case separation in the thread on headspace.

Boy, I musta been wrong.

Tim
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That definitely reinforces the need for eye protection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Boy, I musta been wrong.

Tim

Bingo !

Seperated case would still seal against chamber .
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Bingo !

Seperated case would still seal against chamber .

That's alright, you just keep drinking the kool-aid.

Tim
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I had an oob kb in my M1A from RG not seating in a Barnett match chamber.  Very similar, vented down and banana peeled the bottom of the mag.  A hot piece of somthing hit me right under the left eyelid.  A good pair of shooting glasses.....Oakleys, or Wiley-X (the interchangeables are $75 and can be worns as shades) is a small price to pay for your vision.  This incident also caused me to wear safety glasses during just about every metal work, shop, or lawn activity as well.  WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]
About 12 years ago a friend of mine bought a Garand and had it rebarreled in .308. He shot the hell out of it and was always looking for cheap .308 ammo. We went to a gun show and found some cheap .308 ammo and split the 1000 rds. I had just gotten a M1A from Springfield Armoury and wanted to break it in.
Luckily for me my friend decided to take out the Garand and pop a few caps. He called me and said that his Garand blew up. I guess he fired a few clips and another guy at the range said that it sounded real loud. He thought that the guy never heard a Garand before and just kept shooting. The next shot was very loud and he felt the gun literty blow out of his hands. The Garand's stock looked like kindling wood!!! Surprisingly my friend was not hurt. The receiver was not damaged but the trigger housing was twisted. The ammo was military ball from some foreign source. He/we were reimbursed for the ammo and the dealer paid for all damages to the Garand. Guess he was glad that he wasn't sued. This was a major dealer in our area not some fly by night outfit. I assume that he contacted  many people on the ammo for returns. I'm glad that I didn't fire any in the M1A. I'm not sure if that cast receiver would have held up as well as that old Garand's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
About 12 years ago a friend of mine bought a Garand and had it rebarreled in .308. He shot the hell out of it and was always looking for cheap .308 ammo. We went to a gun show and found some cheap .308 ammo and split the 1000 rds. I had just gotten a M1A from Springfield Armoury and wanted to break it in.
Luckily for me my friend decided to take out the Garand and pop a few caps. He called me and said that his Garand blew up. I guess he fired a few clips and another guy at the range said that it sounded real loud. He thought that the guy never heard a Garand before and just kept shooting. The next shot was very loud and he felt the gun literty blow out of his hands. The Garand's stock looked like kindling wood!!! Surprisingly my friend was not hurt. The receiver was not damaged but the trigger housing was twisted. The ammo was military ball from some foreign source. He/we were reimbursed for the ammo and the dealer paid for all damages to the Garand. Guess he was glad that he wasn't sued. This was a major dealer in our area not some fly by night outfit. I assume that he contacted  many people on the ammo for returns. I'm glad that I didn't fire any in the M1A. I'm not sure if that cast receiver would have held up as well as that old Garand's.

Sounds like that 7.62 Indian garbage...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's unfortunate that we have so few details to go on, but I would not be surprised to learn that this was an OOB incident.  If there is more information, please let us know of it.

No more details required, True OOB would not do that to an M1/ M1A.

Everyone Screams " OMFG My M1/1A OOB KB'd !!! " not even knowing what a OOB really is or even how they're rifle works !

99.999 % of all M1/1A KB's are ammo problems not Out of Battery firings .
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's unfortunate that we have so few details to go on, but I would not be surprised to learn that this was an OOB incident.  If there is more information, please let us know of it.

No more details required, True OOB would not do that to an M1/ M1A.

Everyone Screams " OMFG My M1/1A OOB KB'd !!! " not even knowing what a OOB really is or even how they're rifle works !

99.999 % of all M1/1A KB's are ammo problems not Out of Battery firings .

+1, I had a garand KB on me due to bad ammo and fortunately the stock didn't grenade like that one, it just split from the front ferrule to all the way past the pistol grip. It scared the hell out of me, but I replaced the stock and the rifle is fine. Those garands are tough!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top