Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2005 6:07:48 PM EDT
I recently purchased some 250rds of 1970's production, Indian M80, .308 FMJ ammo from a catalog vendor. Before I use it, I thought that I'd get some feedback from you guys here at ARFCOM.

It came 50rds on strippers packed in a cloth bandoleer. I bought 5 bandoleers to try them out. If they are OK, I planned to buy some more.

I've seen the thread that warns about the Korean 30.06 ammo (bad news = grenade guns).
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
It is shit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't buy any of it, personally....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
By all reliable reports - it is crap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#4]
As I mentioned above, I have already bought some (to try it out). Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this ammo? Is it known to misfire or is it just a poor performance ammo??? I have a couple of .50Cal ammo cans with "the good stuff" but I'd hate to waste my better ammo playing in the Chirt Pit. That's why I bought some of the Indian ammo to try out.  I know that this isn't 30.06 but I just wanted to make sure that there weren't any dangers in using this stuff. I'd hate to have any friends injured while shooting my rifle and ammo. And given the price of this stuff, I can let them shoot a good long time and not have to worry about the expense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
avoid it

get the aussie stuff
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've seen the thread that warns about the Korean 30.06 ammo (bad news = grenade guns).

Actually it was only a few lots of Korean .30-'06 that were problems.  Later lots (probably anything after PS-160) should be fine.  The last stuff I saw at the funshow was lot PS-177, and it shot fine.

And I'll concur with the others here; everything I've heard about Indian .308 is bad.  Most of what I've heard is that it is not at all consistent, but you could tear it down and build reliable ammo from the cases and bullets (I wouldn't trust the primers myself).
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I SHOT 5 HUNDREDS OF THE SHIT FTF-FTE POS FOR AMMO IMO. Now a buddy of mine that is tight ass when it comes to money has shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds of it and loves it for blasting rocks and shit with. Its your gun do as you please but I don't shot ammo from country's where you can't drink the water.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There were quite a few threads/rants about the Indian 308 in the AMMO Forum.

IIRC------

Loose bullets
Crooked bullets
Pushed in bullets
Split necks
Dented shoulders
Case splits when firing...
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a can of I think 900 rds (maybe 1000 rds) when it first appeared, but after looking it over I decided not to fire it in any of my guns. If anybody wants it, I'll bring it to Bulletfest and you can trade me an 18 pack of Budweiser for it. I'll even throw in the ammo can with the deal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Here you go:

Indian Ammo Warning Thread

Click on the link from this URl and check it out. Complete with "after" pictures from cetmerifles.com.

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here you go:

Indian Ammo Warning Thread

Click on the link from this URl and check it out. Complete with "after" pictures from cetmerifles.com.

Thanks Guys! THAT's what I was looking for. I'll closely inspect my ammo to look for the potential flaws. Now I wish that I had asked first, before making that impulse buy.
I'm just glad that I didn't buy more. I knew that I'd get great assistance from the members here (as always).
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought a can of I think 900 rds (maybe 1000 rds) when it first appeared, but after looking it over I decided not to fire it in any of my guns. If anybody wants it, I'll bring it to Bulletfest and you can trade me an 18 pack of Budweiser for it. I'll even throw in the ammo can with the deal.

I'll take it.

Deal!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks Guys! THAT's what I was looking for. I'll closely inspect my ammo to look for the potential flaws. Now I wish that I had asked first, before making that impulse buy.
I'm just glad that I didn't buy more. I knew that I'd get great assistance from the members here (as always).

No problem.

Take care.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I have bought/ shot over 7k rounds of indian ammo with no problems whatsoever, but who knows, maybe I am lucky.  To clarify, I bought over 1 year 10k rnds, starting in 2003 and I have had no problems with the just over 3k I have shot.  About average accuracy, and so far have removed 2 rounds for deformed brass,but that is it.

I would run it again, especially for a 18pk of beer,,,lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]

I have bought/ shot over 7k rounds of indian ammo with no problems whatsoever, but who knows, maybe I am lucky. To clarify, I bought over 1 year 10k rnds, starting in 2003 and I have had no problems with the just over 3k I have shot. About average accuracy, and so far have removed 2 rounds for deformed brass,but that is it.

I would run it again, especially for a 18pk of beer,,,lol.

I need to take you to Vegas with me!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought of getting it, but heard too much bad stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought of getting it, but heard too much bad stuff.

+1, I think J&G sells it for $89.00 per 1k rounds. They claim all of the bad stuff has been weeded out. I dunno, you get what you paid for and if you're shooting it through an expensive rifle I'd hate to think I spent a ton of money on a nice rifle and ruined the thing on cheap ammo. It's like driving a high end sports car and complaining about the cost of 87octane gas. Just my opinion. My buddy ordered some of the indian stuff around 2 years ago when everyone was having the problems with it, and we shot a bunch of it through his brand new  at the time Savage 10FP. We had to weed out about 1/3 of the case just because it was visibly bad.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I paid $69 for 640rds in ammo can, '80s headstamp I think. I looked it over a little, it was packed in ten round plastic bags, it looked pretty clean, so I went ahead and bump fired it. No problems! Accuracy About 8" groups at 50 meters! But definantly good bumpfire fodder!! I hope to see the dealer I got it from tomorow at the show, maybe I'll by more, hopefully he'll at least still have the Larson AR mags!
Good luck.

ETA: The weapon was Springfield M1A with maybe two hundred rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Please be careful.

Keith
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I never saw anything with a made in india label that was well made
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
i got a couple cans of the 640 rnd in plastic bags stuff.  my cetme eats it like candy. accuracy is consistant as i am.  hits pop cans at 50 yrds every time.  i have heard about bad lots though.  i think it is a crap shoot with this stuff
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got some left from a can that was packed in then round plastic sleeves.  Best I could do was about 10" groups at 100 yards.  Went bang every time.  

If you are looking for cheap blasing ammo, ok. but if you really want to hit anything maybe look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I read the warning linked above.  I would not suggest using this ammo for anything now.  

Maybe I should read all of the posts before I pen my yap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#27]
]
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, I shot some at the range Sat. I picked through them first. And I DID find some crap in the lot. I wonder if the retailer will replace the bad ones?????
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#29]
IMHO it should be issued with 2 rolls of toilet paper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#30]
A guy I've shot with has gone through 1280 rounds, no problems.  01 headstamp.  I don't beelive he culled any of it either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A guy I've shot with has gone through 1280 rounds, no problems.  01 headstamp.  I don't beelive he culled any of it either.

OH, but culling is SOOOO much fun!

I wonder if I should send these bad ones back to........ __________________ --- No, I won't slam the vendor... just yet.  Let's see what they say when I call them.....

edited to add:  Just glad that I didn't buy a case or two of this stuff up front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top