Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 6:40:58 PM EDT
Here's a few pics. I haven't cleaned it yet, obviously.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a nice looking SG. The muzzle looks pristine. It would be interesting to see how it gauges.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Good looking Garand. Now go clean her up and shoot!!

BTW, is that 5 - 4's I see in the serial #?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good looking Garand. Now go clean her up and shoot!!

BTW, is that 5 - 4's I see in the serial #?

Yep, 44444. I thougt it was a neat number
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
man i want a grand.

hey on the service grade approx how much live left in the barrel?

i have no idea what gauge is so plz bare with me..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
man i want a grand.

hey on the service grade approx how much live left in the barrel?

i have no idea what gauge is so plz bare with me..

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
i read it but i have know idea what muzzle guage means

help a brother out
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i read it but i have know idea what muzzle guage means

help a brother out

It's basically a scale/device used to determine barrel wear at the muzzle.  Ranges from 0-3+.  anything over 3 is generally considered worn.  Some barrels will still shoot good groups with a worn muzzle as there are many factors in play.  Some won't.  

ETA: That Service Grade looks almost identical to one of mine.  I swear the stock was swapped.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle.That cartouche is clean and crisp,never seen a nicer one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The stock and acceptance stamp are nice. It has the clear look of an HRA stock with the "big back porch"

The back porch is the area behind the received heel. Springfield's usually contour closely with the receiver. HRA's have the more oblong lobe like yours.

I'm jealous for my HRA.

JR
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding my Man !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, I post some updatd pics once I get things cleaned up. I ordered a new set of springs for her and I'll do a detail strip when they arrive.
Wood is just getting a light clean-up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow!  Nice M1 Twonami!!!  I bet that makes you feel better coming home.

That is slick.  I'm sure some private in bootcamp was real happy to have that s/n to memorize.

That is a really nice springfield, nice stock, nice color!   I wish I had original finish and not greek black that looks awesome.

Was that a greek SA SG or a US SA SG?

SoS

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow!  Nice M1 Twonami!!!  I bet that makes you feel better coming home.

That is slick.  I'm sure some private in bootcamp was real happy to have that s/n to memorize.

That is a really nice springfield, nice stock, nice color!   I wish I had original finish and not greek black that looks awesome.

Was that a greek SA SG or a US SA SG?

SoS

greek from the paperwork, someone named Jimmy decided to personalize the wood. I'll try to get a picture of it. the X44444X number is so cool
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's what Jimmy "wrote" on the stock.
I'm not sure what the first word is

but the 2nd and 3rd are pretty obvious
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Two,

I think that is Greek for hezbolah, well the greek equivalent anyway, it roughly translates as  "kill them all, ah F@#$ It, lets go eat"

seriously you could try the steam iron on the writing.  It looks pressed in with a bullet tip or something similarly shaped.  I Don't know if I'd want to strip it, the color of the wood looks nice and I wouldn't want to F it up.

I stripped my birch stock and am waiting on my chestnut ridge stain and I'm not sure if I did the right thing.  I know I had a lot more success steaming the dents out after I stripped though.  They wouldn't do half as much raising as when under the oil.  

Edited to add my new rule is to do nothing for a couple weeks on surplus.  Kind of like the carpenters rule of measure twice cut once.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice!

Got ammo?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]
What kind of cartouche is that?  It kind of looks like the logo on my Henkel knives.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nice!

Got ammo?

yep, bought over 1,000 rounds of the CMP greek surplus
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Jimmy's getting UPSET!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jimmy's getting UPSET!

Jimmy the sex offender?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top