Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2005 1:00:52 PM EDT
I want to scope my FAL, who makes the better mount, in your opinions. learning more and more everyday here, thank-you         Norman
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
fixed stock or para?

if you have a fixed stock and want to go cheap Tapco has a pretty nice one.
Arms or DSA make a nice one too
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
when the falfiles are back online you might want to check on the new mount being developed that will work for both standard and para...
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the new Gen 4 Tapco, and works like a champ.  Nicely machined and finished.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
that's for the info, the gun is a fixed stock. I'll look at the tapco. thanks a million    Norm
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
50, if you decide to go with a Tapco let me know, I have one that I pretty much never used( bought it mounted it, shot maybe 20 rounds, and now my para is here, I can't use it.

James
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn't find the ARMS mount on their site.  Do they not make it anymore?  Anyone know where to find one?
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
50, if you decide to go with a Tapco let me know, I have one that I pretty much never used( bought it mounted it, shot maybe 20 rounds, and now my para is here, I can't use it.

James

Hey that's great! you can email me @ [email protected], and we hammer out the details.   thanks a million James                           Norman
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
sending a quick Email, but I will be offline for a bit
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the DSA mount, rock solid, no problems whatsoever.

rk
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

rk

How was it to install? It replaces the dust cover entirely, correct? I'm looking for one for my DSA Para, but DSA is way back ordered and wont have the extreme duty mount for over a month.
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
m4,
they are in stock now call and talk to Dorthy, theycalled me Wednesday about them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rk

How was it to install? It replaces the dust cover entirely, correct? I'm looking for one for my DSA Para, but DSA is way back ordered and wont have the extreme duty mount for over a month.

yes they both do.  The only difference between the Tapco and DSA is that the DSA one is heavier and has a 5th lock down screw oh yeah and another $30 also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2005 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with the DSA. It's bulky and heavy, but it works. The ARMS eventually shoots loose (mine has), and the Grenadier mount looks like another FALFiles F*ckup in the making, though I'd like to see it succeed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go with the DSA. It's bulky and heavy, but it works. The ARMS eventually shoots loose (mine has), and the Grenadier mount looks like another FALFiles F*ckup in the making, though I'd like to see it succeed.

i currently have the dsa and it is an excellent mount.  i would not rule out the grenadier mount as grenadier is producing the railed forend for Leitner-Wise so it should be a quality piece.  it should interface with a free floating railed forend for the fal that will give it a continous rail on top.  i'm taking a wait-and-see attitude but if it works as advertised i may switch...
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 DSA mounts, no complaints.  The Grenadier mount sounds interesting...quick detach, no screws or locking plates.  If it works I may switch also.
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The Grenadier mount and freefloat handguards looks fantastic, but I have my doubts that either will really become reality as the release date is already been pushed back by several months.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#18]
it's been pushed back so grenadier can  produce the Leitner-Wise railed forend for the usmc...
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I couldn't find the ARMS mount on their site.  Do they not make it anymore?  Anyone know where to find one?

Mounts Plus

Standard FAL = ARMS #3
Para FAL  = ARMS #4
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#20]
My arms mount also shot itself out. I fired less than 200 rounds with it mounted. I was going to swap the mount with another fal and upon removing it i found that it had massive play on all sides. I would go with the dsa mount last i checked it was something like $60 vs the $110 for the arms mount.

Also arms doesnt make the mount its farmed out to mounts plus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered the Grenadier mount today.  Ships mid May.  Cost me $89 part of a group buy.  This mount should be the one for FAL owners.  I have not owned an ARMS mount but I have tried DSA, TAPCO 4th gen.  Of these 2 the DSA is hands down the winner.  My complaints about the DSA are that it marks the reciever if you take it on and off, which I did about every other cleaning.  It is also very clunky looking and makes the FAL look odd IMHO.  On the plus side the DSA mount is very solid and well built and always returned to Zero or near enough for a battle rifle.  The TAPCO mount was crap but it did not mark up the reciever.  I was going to get an ARMS from Mounting Solutions but I saw the Grenadier thread on the FALFILES so I got in on that.  It cost less than the ARMS and it has the benefit of being all one piece of material while the ARMS is riveted together.  I am sure the ARMS mount is a fine piece of kit I just thought I would try the little guy first.  There used to be a mount called the Q-D Pro but they are hard to find, they are almost non exsistant.
Just my experience.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
the Grenadier mount looks like another FALFiles F*ckup in the making, though I'd like to see it succeed.

Well that's a ballsy and baseless statement!!! Considering you don't know me, Darren or our company's capabilities. Have you ever conceived a concept, refined the design and put it into production? It's a lot easier said than done.  How long did it take DSA to release there U.S. made para parts kit or a .223 FAL?  It has taken them over a year to release the para kit and and the .223 is yet to be released. And this is a company 100 X's large than we are!!!

Since X-mas eve of 2004 Darren and I have:
*Formed Grenadier Precision LLC (a state registered company) not some yahoo's working out of the back of their truck
*Applied for a Type 7 FFL (approved by main office, pending interview with local ATF branch)
*Acquired both state and federal Tax I.D. numbers
*Have designed, developed and are manufacturing an AR FF rail system (for use with L.W. piston driven uppers) which are being readied for field trials by the Marines MED unit in Iraq
*Been to Shot Show on request/invitation of Mr. Paul Leitner-Wise
*Designed and developed the FAL COP scope mount (Production to start in the next few weeks)
*Aquired two provisional patents (soon to be up-graded to Patents)
*Designed and opened a web-site ( www.grenadierprecision.com ) with an e-commerce web-store
plus countless other business related activities

"Another FALFiles F*ckup in the making!!!"

So how do you figure?

Darren and I have way over 300 combined hours of design and development of this mount. Our mount improves on the  Williams QD Pro mount design, which is a tried and proven design. Over $15K in capital have been investment (software, five extrusion dies, extrusion samples, retainer plate dies, fixtures, tooling, CNC programming and machine time to name a few.) into the FAL COP mount and the ARM-R F.F. rail system. We where offered an opportunity to design and develop a free-float rail system for the Leitner-Wise's piston-driven AR upper as no F.F. rail design on the market met L.W.'s requirements. We made a business decision to put the FAL COP on the back-burner while we moved forward with designing and developing the ARM-R/C (7.125") and ARM-R/M (9.125") for Leitner-Wise. We knew our resources (time and $$$) would be tied up. Twelve of our FF rails will be shipping out to the Marines in Iraq for T/E in the next few weeks. Not many companies get this sort of opportunity.

I have done a lot of dealings with many members of the FALFiles with my exotic wood furniture sets. My reputation and work speak for itself and I'm not going to screw it up now regardless of what anyone thinks or says. When we first announced this project (X-mas eve) we where swamped with inquires on where to send funds. Darren and I refused to accept any pre-orders because we did not have a firm production time-line (machine time is on short supply around here). Now that the ARM-R project is wrapping up (the production run doesn't require too much of our time), we can now focus on the FAL COP mount. We opened up the group buy in order to get a hard number on the production run. Even at this time we have not asked for any funds to be sent. Some people have chosen to send funds by PayPal, M.O. and checks at this time. These payments will not be touched until the product is ready to ship. People getting on the group buy through our e-store using a credit card will not be billed (charged), we are just capturing the C.C. number.  A week or two prior (depending on number of orders) to shipping of the mounts we will start charging these accounts.    

Here is a view of the Scout model:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1212307

General Spec's:

*Aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum
*Mill-Spec gray anodizing
*1913 picatinny rail
*One piece design (no locking plates or marred receivers)
*All machining done by CNC milling center  (i.e. interface rails, OAL, ejection port, front radius, rail grooves, T-marks and text)
*Designed to fit FN spec. upper receivers
*Convertible from standard to para with no tools
*Models available: Standard and Scout
*Models to be available ACOG, stripper clip and Tri-Lux (T-bar)

"Another FALFiles f*ckup in the making!!!" I think not!!!! The only ones that have something to loose here are Darren and I. Sorry for the long winded reply but I take crap like this as a personal attack.

Link Posted: 4/8/2005 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#24]
YeeeeeeeHAAAAA!!  Jesse, we made it to the big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have personal trolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love the internet!

Talking shit about us is OK!  We like having personal trolls.  They are like groupies from a paralell universe.  When you talk shit about the FAL FILES membership though.....  

Link Posted: 4/9/2005 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've had an ARMS (early variant) since about 1997. With over 4000 rounds under it, it holds well.

I'm buying one of the GP mounts: the integral rail is the cat's meow, and the profile is leaner than that of the ARMS or DSA (BTW- I sold 2x DSA: the damn rails just plain don't cut it as real RTZ platforms).

As for the Files snafus: bugger off.

"It is not the critic who counts...."
TRR
The Aorbonne
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WTF does that mean?  "looks like a F*ckup" but "I'd like to see it succeed".  Sounds like a bunch of nonsence a Democrat would say.  Please sit down and be quiet while the adults talk.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Over the years, there has been a ton of group buys go south on the FALFiles. I almost, got burned on Jen's STG kit group buy, and Williams Alloy receiver.

I suppose it is unfair to lump GP with these others. Perhaps. I'm being overly cynical and using overly harsh language.  Still, I'd be very  hesitant to throw my money in on any new product group buy before one has been delievered to anyone.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow if things work out. Like I said, GP is seems set to make some very good products; and I hope they offer better performance than whats currently out on the market.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
What the hell do I have to do with Jen's financial dealings, Williams arms, or the other shit you mention.  You "almost" got screwed on an Aluminum FAL receiver?  I didn't.  You know why?  An aluminum FAL receiver is a STUPID idea!  How our products are stupid in comparison is beyond me.

There are more shiesters, backstabbers, power plays, raw ignorance, trolls here per square inch than just about anywhere on the internet.  I would send out product to just about any of the FAL FILEs members prior to receiving payment.  I have always done that and have never been burned.  I would never do that here unless I knew the person.  There is more collective knowledge on the Fal Files than anywhere I have found.  This FAL files is one of the best moderated forums on the internet.  Hell the main guy is a nuclear engineer.  You need hip waders to get through some of the BS around here.

My point is you talk out your ass.  People are hard on companies for being anti-civvy, anti-gun, yet every chance they get they criticize, spread fictitious rumors and act as though they want to destroy the industry they expect so much from.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Well well..I just pre-paid for a GP scout mount a couple days ago.  I think it takes guts, along with a lot of money and hard work to venture into something like this and to hear guys trash it before it comes out pisses me off royal.  I can stand the wait as I feel confident it will be worth waiting for.
If it takes longer than mid May to ship, then I'll keep waiting.  I applaud all their efforts in producing what looks to be a great product in the making.

I have both ARMS and DSA mounts and have had zero problem with either.  I even had a couple of Williams QD Pro mounts and would recommend them too if you can find them.  I never had a Tapco mount so won't comment on it.  Actually, NO ONE should comment (especially trash talk) on anything they have not personally experienced....get the drift?

Faltothebone

Link Posted: 4/10/2005 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#30]
i ordered a scout mount a couple days ago.  if i don't like it i can always go back to my dsa mount.  however i am really looking forward to the scout mount/free floating railed forend combination as soon as these products are avaliable.  thanks guys for bringing 21 century thinking to the FAL!
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What a thoroughly asinine comment    It only takes a wee bit of experience with FAL mounts to look at these guys' design and see that it will be superior to any that are or have been on the market. I've dealt with Jesse before and have no doubts the mount will be all it should be. Attitudes like yours are why vendors are reluctant to pursue new designs for our rifles and offer them. And to bash the venture without having seen the mount and before it even makes it to the market...
Lee
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Let's just back away from the table, and prove that GP can pull this off. Then we can remind G-3 that revenge is a dish best served cold. The IMBEL group buy and the WAC GB are certainly bad landmarks in the evolution of the Files. But as of now, the Files flourishes w/o much more than user contributions. There aren't large amounts of cash coming in from Vendors, because the FAL market is a bit 'niche'.

That said, I've ordered by GP "COP"/bodycover. If it goes south, it won't be becasue of the Files, or the character of those running it. GP has invested heavily in sound design and metallurgy. Let's all enjoy, w/o the hyperbole.

Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the ARMS mount on my Izzy clone. It's rock solid. I also just ordered an GP Scout mount on Friday for my HB Izzy. Looks like a fantastic product to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have the ARMS mount on my Izzy clone. It's rock solid.

Yep. So far so good.

Link Posted: 4/12/2005 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#35]
48thHighlander,

I apologize for my first post about your products and company. It was unfair. I was too quick to send that message off. I wish you success.

Best of Luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#36]
GP guys, are things still on schedule for middle next month?  I just ordered one and am eager to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#37]
We are still on track.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#38]

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=4c5c171656fa618e97e13de8ba1834dc&postid=1224153

We love the FAL crowd first. We want to bring the fal products to market first. Allthough as a budding biz, we needed to make this RAS for the LW first. It is the ONLY RAS on the market specifically designed for a gas piston operated M4. It was our opportunity to hook up with a manufacturer and kinda corner the market with a product that is a one of a kind. Jesse put some cap head hex screws in the front, but in actuality, the top is retained by locking pins and thumb screws. When you loosen off the screws, you slide the top rail toward the front, and it pops off. We designed it to be easy for anyone to install without removing the barrel, the FSB or Flash hider. You can install it in about 5 mintutes after about 30 seconds with the dremel. You just cut off your delta ring, delta spring and clip and front handguard retainer and plop it on in a few minutes. You get a Return to Zero top cover that can be taken off in seconds. The thumb screws are retained and cant fall out. BTW, this works AWESOME on a standard AR, the only difference is clearance is left for a gas piston system. On the rifle this is a KICK ass unit.

Today, we went in to the shop and as Jesse said, had them G-file a whole run of these as there were issues that did not meet our standards. I don't even want to tell you how much that decision cost us.  

We want this to truely represent our vision, and if it does not 100%, it gets G-filed. Obviously binning whole runs of RAS systems is not an economically sound decision, but we want nobody to find fault in our system or question our QI on any product. The machinist was pissed. I don't know why.....he is the only person that is making money from this thing so far, and with the amount of money we are spending, he will be the only one to make money on it for a long time.

Anyway, I ain't crying the blues. Our vision for this company is to make the best over engineered parts money can buy. I just hope that vision is compatible with making a profit at some point.  Maybe I am crying the blues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Hang in there Jesse, things will go your way over time. I applaud your dedication to excellence. Looks like a great design!
Lee
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#40]
i will definitely  be a customer for these as soon as they are ready regardless (within reason) of the cost...
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#42]
You guys are gonna break me. First the COP, now the RAS?

Aiyeewaah!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top