Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:26:06 PM EDT
UPDATE

Click here to download the PDF Format of the Brochure which will be passed out to participants at the Camp.

----------------------------------------------------------

An idea was passed around by Jeff "jjrockbush" Jones of Cape Coral, Florida and once again we're going ahead w/ his proposition.  Though he doesn't like the title, he can deal with it.  This will be the first Florida / Georgia AR15.com Sleep & Shoot.  Possibly more in the future will be planned and it can even turn into a "once a year event" however that's too far ahead of us to even plan right now, so let's get this one out of the way.

We're planning a great weekend of camping, eating, shooting, and just plain fellowshipping w/ others who share the same interest as ourselves.  I haven't been to Osceola WMA but if it's anything like the surrounding area of northern Florida, being very beautiful, then everyone is in for a treat!  The previous weekend will be extremely busy w/ the Civil War Reenactment at the Olustee Battlefield Park and she said that the park clears out right after that so the weekend that this is planned is perfect!!!

All necessary information is below.
====================================

When
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
February 24 - 26, 2006

Where (see directions below)
Osceola Wildlife Management Area
Ocean Pond Campsite
24874 US HWY 90
Olustee, FL  32072
(386) 752-2577

Camping Costs (per night per site)
$18 - Sites with Electricity and Water
Large sites, will fit a nice RV or Popup Camper
RV Dump Site

$12 - Sites with Water
Same size as above sites.

$8 - Primitive Sites w/ no water or electricity
5 persons per primitive site.

Note
There is also primitive camping allowed anywhere in the WMA as Hunting Season will be over and no one even needs to know that you're coming or going.  All fires need to kept above ground and contained responsibly.  No holes may be dug and as you can assume, there's absolutely no amenities available in the wild.  Deanna who had explained this to me over the phone reiterated this hardcore to which I replied with a clearing of my throat, "Ahem... We're Men!"  LOL  She got a good laugh out of that.  I'm still heading to the Ocean Pond Campsite however.  So those of you who want to "rough it", be my guest.

Maps and Directions

Click here for a map using Google Maps.

Map of Osceola Wildlife Management Area.  Rifle Range is in the bottom left of the map (red dot).

Map of the Ocean Pond Campsite

Ocean Pond Campground is located on the north side of Ocean Pond, a 1760-acre natural lake. Sixty-seven campsites are available for tents, trailers, or motor homes. Many of these campsites are waterfront sites allowing guests to enjoy the water or fish right from their campsite. A beach area, boat ramp, drinking water, hot showers, and flush toilets are located in the campground. No sewer hookups are available; however, a sewage dump station is located near the campground entrance.

To camp at the Ocean Pond Campsite, all you do is setup camp at the site you want, and the camp ranger will drive around and pick up your money at your site.  They will then ticket your post.  There is NO reservations at this site.  It's a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE campground.

Directions To the Range
Any information and pictures from those who have shot here already would be helpful.

Brochure of the Lewis D. Whitacre Rifle Range at Osceola Wildlife Management Area

Range Contact Info
Off of Forest Road 278 near Lake City
in the Osceola National Forest
(386) 758-0525

Plans for the Weekend
Everyone is responsible for their own meals.  If you want to plan something w/ your "personal" group of friends, then please feel more than free to do so.  Team Southwest Florida... Steaks Saturday night?  

Friday
12:00 PM - Show up and setup camp
6:00 PM - Tin Foil Dinners. Click here if you have no idea what this is.  LOL
8:00 PM - Smores and Gathering Around a Campfire
Turn in whenever you want.

Saturday
7:00 AM - Breakfast
9:00 AM - Shooting at the Range
11:30 AM - Lunch & Range Time Continues (Hot Dogs & Hamburgers)
12:00 Noon - Group Picture w/ Rifles and Empty Mags at the Range
Afternoon Saturday - Personal Time.  Hiking, Fishing, visit Olustee Battlefield Park, clean your guns, go into town, whatever.  This time is for you to do what you want cuz basically I've run out of ideas to plan for the afternoon!  LOL  Do things alone, w/ your friends, family, or whatever.  Here's information on what you can do at Osceola WMA.  Enjoy!
5:00 PM - Return to camp to prepare for dinner
6:00 PM - Dinner
8:00 PM - Gather around the campfire and BS on how much you think your gun is better than mine or how you don't like this Team Member or how you're sick and tired of "this kind of thread" or "that thread" or just sit and shake your head in silence and think, "Why on earth am I here?"  

Sunday
8:00 AM - Breakfast
9:00 AM - Range Time / Personal Time / Break Camp for those leaving
12:00 PM - Lunch
1:00 PM - Florida Defensive Carbine Club Match held at the Range.  Click here for more information on the FDCC.  If anyone knows how to get a hold of Neil, please do so and ask him to IM me.  I'm having a hard time getting a hold of him.

I really do believe that this is going to be an awesome weekend.  So come along and meet your friends and finally put faces to those who post crap about you on these boards!  Please feel free to discuss ideas, questions, and additions to the schedule above.  No I'm not the one "in charge" of this whole hoopla so careful on the IM's that come my way.  

See You All There!!!

I posted this same thread over in Georgia Hometown Board.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
thats a long long drive brother!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
OOOOhhhh sounds cool
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thats a long long drive brother!

300 miles from Fort Myers. 4.5 hours. I drove that yesterdayto Miami and back for meetings, no sweat.

jj

P.S. Tom, bro'. Shoot and Sleep? How about Shoot and Camp? Camp and Shoot? Shootin' and campin'? Just my .02.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Guys, Where are you from?
I'm an FDCCer, and I live in Lake City, and that sounds like a great idea!
Let me know what I can do to help.
Keep in mind, It may be a little cold up here for comfort minded tent camping in Febuary.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Update posted in initial thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Im gonna have to get a tent and a few other things but I am SO in

SWFLA Crew we need to decide on a camp site, i think it would be more fun than being spread all around.

Maybe the Oceanside one Tom was talking about?

Man I'm looking forward to this

Fixed it
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang, I don't come down there to shoot and now you guys have to come up here and invade my territory.  HMMM damn SWFLoridians, just as bad as them Northerners (JUST a JOKE, giving Mormon and AZA a hard time).

I don't know if I'll make the Camping trip, but should be there for the FDCC shoot on Sunday. I'm going to try and work that weekend into some time off from work, need a Vacation ( and no I didn't have any time off during the holidays....  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dang, I don't come down there to shoot and now you guys have to come up here and invade my territory.  HMMM damn SWFLoridians...

We're tenacious SOB's aren't we?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#12]
That's also the weekend of the Hernando Machinegun Shoot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#13]
MMMMMMMmmmmm

Machine Guns !!!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Im gonna have to get a tent and a few other things but I am SO in

SWFLA Crew we need to decide on a camp site, i think it would be more fun than being spread all around.

Maybe the Oceanside one Tom was talking about?

Man I'm looking forward to this

Not a SWFLA Crew member, just their biggest PITA.  But I think we should all try to get sites near each other.  It would suck to have to walk from one end of the campground to the other to "Sit around the campfire".

Oh, yeah I'm in for the whole weekend.  I'll be taking the about a week off from work around that weekend.  hmmm, don't need a tent but better stock up on ammo...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think we should all try to get sites near each other.  It would suck to have to walk from one end of the campground to the other to "Sit around the campfire".

+1

I'm looking forward to meeting tons of the Florida Crew!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think we should all try to get sites near each other.  It would suck to have to walk from one end of the campground to the other to "Sit around the campfire".

+1

I'm looking forward to meeting tons of the Florida Crew!!!

Same here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought myself a tent and a Queen Size Air Matress.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

content.sears.com/data/product_images/006/75204/00675204000-dlv.jpg

I guess you expect us to pass that one up?
Queenie?

jj
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

content.sears.com/data/product_images/006/75204/00675204000-dlv.jpg

You know what's worse than the Queenie, is that tent is called the "Hillary"  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You know what's worse than the Queenie, is that tent is called the "Hillary"  

Ha Ha Funny!  

Sir Edmund Hillary

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Anyone bringing wife/SO/kids?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Any one start looking into Booking their campsite?  Would you guys/gals rather be near the beach? or near the showers?  or does it depend on where the Electricity/water are?

I personally think it would be cool if we tried to get the back loop, sites 50-67, looks like there should be a good "Community hang out area".

Any thoughts???  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Any one start looking into Booking their campsite?  Would you guys/gals rather be near the beach? or near the showers?  or does it depend on where the Electricity/water are?

I personally think it would be cool if we tried to get the back loop, sites 50-67, looks like there should be a good "Community hang out area".

Any thoughts???  

I agree completely.  I'm not sure if they take reservations or not.  Last when I spoke to Deanna from there, she said something about not taking reservations.  I can give her a call again and see what she says again.  If we can book a site, then I'm in on getting those sites!

Awesome idea!

Edit
Just got off the phone w/ them, here's the info I got.

To camp at the Ocean Pond Campsite, all you do is setup camp at the site you want, and the camp ranger will drive around and pick up your money at your site.  They will then ticket your post.  There is NO reservations at this site.  It's a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE campground.

Now the question is, "Who's going to race me to Site 55?"

Quoted:
Anyone bringing wife/SO/kids?

Not sure.  Will be able to tell as the date gets closer if I'm bringing someone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Now the question is, "Who's going to race me to Site 55?"

You take the left fork and I'll take the right fork, and you sir have a race, Dpectra Vs. Sephia...

Actually I like the looks of 54.  Tom, are you actually planning on being there by Noon??

I'm off that week and I'll be there early.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Actually I like the looks of 54.  Tom, are you actually planning on being there by Noon??

I'm off that week and I'll be there early.

I'm taking that day off and will head out by 7 AM.  I might be bringing a friend but more than likely alone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]
if yer taking off friday than I will 2. I think Xapmat might go and possably one of my fal wielding freinds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
if yer taking off friday than I will 2. I think Xapmat might go and possably one of my fal wielding freinds.

If you want to do a caravan EARLY Friday morning, then let me know.  We can follow each other up so we don't get lost alone, we can't get lost TOGETHER!  Hey Hey!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Gee if I leave Thursday night and drive down to SWFL can I caravan with ya'll too?  I don't wanna be the only one who gets lost by themselves...

Seriously I should be leaving by 10AM, so I will be there by noon.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello all,
Just thought we would let you know..... It looks like right now there are 3 Southwest Georgia Arfcommies coming to this get-together..... There might be a few more we can talk into making the trip with us also......

Look forward to meeting fellow AR15.com members for a weekend of fun.......

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I think we are going on this also. We will need an rv hook-up space.
Also, are pets allowed?  We'll have to bring the dogs, since knowone is here to babysit..........
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:42:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Also, are pets allowed?  We'll have to bring the dogs, since knowone is here to babysit..........

Not sure if they allow dogs or not.  Call that number.  When it rings just hit 0 for the operator and the lady that picks up is really nice.  Just ask her and she'll accomodate you.

Quoted:
Hello all,
Just thought we would let you know..... It looks like right now there are 3 Southwest Georgia Arfcommies coming to this get-together..... There might be a few more we can talk into making the trip with us also......

Look forward to meeting fellow AR15.com members for a weekend of fun.......

Sweet!!!  I'm hoping it turns out to be an awesome weekend!  I believe it will.  See you there definitely!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]
if you guys go camping and wake up with your ass hurting " would you tell anybody " LOL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok, well since nobody else has brought it up, I will...

Has anybody put any thought into Safety issues that might be run into during the camping weekend.  In other words, do we have a First Responder, first-aid kit, capability or plan to deal with a ND, fire burn, wood chopping gone bad?  Anybody know where the closest hospital is?  You get the picture?

Also on a side note, due to the Hernando county Machine Gun shoot that same weekend there are going to be some of the key FDCC shoot organizers that will not be there.  Are you guys who are coming going to want to participate in the FDCC shoot, or are you all going to just watch?  If you guys want to shoot, I have someone who will make sure that FDCC is ready to run some COF's.  

Let me know who thinks what...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Let the bashing begin, I'm dumb.  I scheduled a week off for the Sleep & Shoot, but I scheduled January 23-30 off.  So go ahead (especially the SWFLers) fire away, I deserve it...  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Tom is not considered a pet. We think of him as our friend and would like for everyone to treat him as a human being!!!

Even though he is like a big ol' puppy dog!!

jj
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom is not considered a pet. We think of him as our friend and would like for everyone to treat him as a human being!!!

jj

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, are pets allowed?

jj

1) Extend either arm at an
approximately 90° angle
perpendicular to the body.

2) Bend arm at the elbow.
Position it parallel to the
body, forming three sides
of a perfect square.

3) Close palm tightly.

4) Fiercely upturn digit
between pointer and ring finger.

5) Hold approximately
10-seconds to a minute
for emphasis.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, are pets allowed?

jj

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/auto_generated_images/a_howto1.gif
1) Extend either arm at an
approximately 90° angle
perpendicular to the body.

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/auto_generated_images/a_howto2.gif
2) Bend arm at the elbow.
Position it parallel to the
body, forming three sides
of a perfect square.

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/auto_generated_images/a_howto3.gif
3) Close palm tightly.

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/auto_generated_images/a_howto4.gif
4) Fiercely upturn digit
between pointer and ring finger.

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/auto_generated_images/a_howto5.gif
5) Hold approximately
10-seconds to a minute
for emphasis.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey! I thought I was being nice......

jj
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey Chris,
Looks like some Pet question trumped your Safety concerns.  I hate to be a wet blanket , but you all collectively as a group need to have your head in the right place about this stuff. The Safety questions FL_Flattop brought up are very valid and should be considered SOP for training/ shooting events, especially ones where there will be many people with how do you say " diverse backgrounds" and different skill levels.  It would suck to have someone seriously wounded because of an accident and have problems finding someone sober enough to drive to the hospital (assuming it happened in the off hours), unable to direct PD to the site ur insufficient knowledge or kit to treat or stabilise. It would sucke even more if YOU were the one needing the treatment. Remember plan for the worst hope for the best, that way everyone has a very good chance of being able to return and enjoy the event next time.

respectfully

Nigel_C
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Removed out of respect for the purpose of this thread.

-Tom
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#43]
DAMN....................  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Ooohhh Snap!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Nigel with all due respect you don't know us. You don't know how safe or un safe we are. deleted no hamburger for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]
We seriously do need to start getting the Safety Plans togethers.  Do we have any volunteers to be a Safety Liason for the whole activity?  I'm not necessarily a fan of doing it at work so I'm not to enthusiastic of being that as well in addition to making sure everyone is talking to each other and introducing themselves to faces they don't know.

Let's get on that topic since we already are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#47]
[quote]Quoted:
We seriously do need to start getting the Safety Plans togethers.  Do we have any volunteers to be a Safety Liason for the whole activity?  I'm not necessarily a fan of doing it at work so I'm not to enthusiastic of being that as well in addition to making sure everyone is talking to each other and introducing themselves to faces they don't know.

Never been a safety liasion planner, but I can put together some maps of nearest hospital/EMS facility to hand out.  And I will have my CLS bag and M-5 kit with me (along with the First Aid merit badge handbook).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never been a safety liasion planner, but I can put together some maps of nearest hospital/EMS facility to hand out.  And I will have my CLS bag and M-5 kit with me (along with the First Aid merit badge handbook).

Sweetness!  If you can put together an Informational Packet and email it to me, I'll print it up at work.  I have access to a OKIDATA C5400 that I'll print them up on.  We can then  distribute the packets to each campsite we have participants at.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I dont drink either and will be bringing a standard first aid kit and me or Ingvar(or both) will have a Trauma kit if not two.

I understand your concern but you came off the wrong way, albeit for the right reason.

edited for those w/ sand in their mangina

Cant wait for this trip
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Ok, well since nobody else has brought it up, I will...

Has anybody put any thought into Safety issues that might be run into during the camping weekend.  In other words, do we have a First Responder, first-aid kit, capability or plan to deal with a ND, fire burn, wood chopping gone bad?  Anybody know where the closest hospital is?  You get the picture?

Also on a side note, due to the Hernando county Machine Gun shoot that same weekend there are going to be some of the key FDCC shoot organizers that will not be there.  Are you guys who are coming going to want to participate in the FDCC shoot, or are you all going to just watch?  If you guys want to shoot, I have someone who will make sure that FDCC is ready to run some COF's.  

Let me know who thinks what...

Hey all:

I am a C.E.R.T. member and as such, I have a rather large first aid kit that I carry with me, especially to shoots.  I intend to participate in the campout as well as FDCC.  Barring anything tragic, I will be there with my supplies.  

As the unofficial medic of FDCC, I am prepared to deal with most things barring an outright gunshot wound, such as burns, lacerations, abrasions, shrapnel wounds, etc.  In the case of an actual gunshot wound, I will do my best while others are dialling 911.  

-White Horse

p.s.  Hope to see you all there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top