Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2007 2:27:18 PM EDT
1st In.  

What a FAN FRIGGIN TASTIC Day!  We managed to raise over $2,100 today.  It was loads of good people and great fun.  The Thunderstorms even helped out by going around Henry's range.

Many Thanks to Henry, Brent, and Most of All OMI for putting this together.

Here's a little Teaser of what went down.  More pics to follow later

Our "Hostage"

Missed Damnit!

That's the Ticket!

Our Happy Winner of the DPMS EBR and Brent!  Thanks again Dude....1st Class All The Way

Man am I tired.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the video.
I added a few sound effects to make it slightly funnier.
Click on Mickey.

Link Posted: 7/1/2007 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright -- I need to start the thanks

First of all THANKS TO ALL OUR SPONSORS/DONATORS ...

DPMS
Freedom Outfitters In Plant City
Urban ERT
The Vest Guy
Brent AKA Stang1 at www.hardcorpsweaponry.com
Brightflashlights.com
Ace's Shooting Range
Henry for the range
FrenchCat
Charlie @ Charlies Armory
tony_k NFA Mod here and at FSN
Sig Arms
Stag Arms
Spikes Tactical

Second, Thx for Stang1 - Brent for getting us all th goodies for the raffle!

Third, Thanks to Lars (MiamiARfan) for standing in the heat over a BBQ all day and cooking for us.

And thanks to everyone else that helped me maintain a safe range and make the event possible.  especially to everyone who brought food/drinks/coolers/tarps/chairs/targets and all the other items that made the event possible.  RO's -- Thx again and Thx to Joe for getting us the BBQ and Concession trailer.  My wife really thanks you for the electricity and the fan.  Last but not least -- My mom and wife who sold the tickets.

And I also cant forget to thank Brent and Dave for sharing their toys and ammo for a great cause.  My apologies since I know I must of missed someone ...

Now for the REAL GOOD NEWS !!!!

We had a total of 78 attendees and collected a Grand Total of:  $2150 with 100% of it going to the wounded warrior project.

ETA:  I WILL POST A SCAN OF THE CASHIERS CHECK TO THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT WHEN I GET IT TOMORROW BEFORE I MAIL IT OUT.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Homested, FL, 7-1-07

The background: The gray sand in the canister is called Tannerite

All Types were there today.

Grenade Launcher Types

Tomb Raider Types

Motherly Types

Security Contractor Types

Monster Truck Types

Thanks again Omi
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to mention, Charlies Armory is doing the FFL transfer for the DPMS rifle for FREE

Congrats to Miamiair Wife for winning the rifle!
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to everybody that help put this together. This was my first AR15 shoot and was a blast. Everyone was nice and helpful. The Mickey blowing was AWESOME!!!!!!!!. Firing the 50 cal was a great experience. Thanks for let us shot it, Brent.
BTW Brent, your dad is a first class gentelman. You too Sir. Thanks for letting my son live his dream:

Link Posted: 7/1/2007 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Mickey Mouse just prior to detonation!!!

High Speed.

I would like to thank OMI for arranging the event.
The Bar-B-Que crew for cooking.
Lars for his BBQ Sauce.
K2 for his blown Mac-11.
MiamiAR for the plugs ;) I owe you.
And everyone else for making it such a nice and enjoyable event for such a good cause.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5109/mickeymousevu7.jpg
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite picture;

Some copetition:

BTW Hamas Mickey lost his virginity before meeting the 72(I think is 72) virgins and he was HOLD DOWN!!!!

They even pull his tail

Another nice toy
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Tents were erected

Food was grilled.  Lars and the BBQ crew.

Tannerite was mixed

Tannerite.....shaken not stirred.

Prizes were displayed and tickets were sold at our concessions trailing

Omi's wife made us some customized raffle tickets boxes.  Tickets are deposited in the mouth slot.  No, that is not wine.

A few of stayed until the end to witness the assisination of a Viewsonic 32 inch LCD TV by a 2 liter soda bottle of Tannerite.  This is what you get

Link Posted: 7/2/2007 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Congrats to MiamiARFans Wife for winning the rifle!

Don't get MiamiARFan in deep poo, it was "Miamiair's" wife.  She's not letting me forget it either.

Great shoot.

My hat is off to Omi for putting the shindig together, Lars for the cooking; great stuff, Brent for getting all those goodies, and Henry for his range.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I forgot to mention, Charlies Armory is doing the FFL transfer for the DPMS rifle for FREE

Congrats to MiamiARFans Wife for winning the rifle!

Dude, When my wife reads that she's gonna wanna know where the hell her DPMS is!?!!?  Either that or be introduced to my 2nd wife.  (so that they could get together and SUE my ass)

Umm -- Gonna fix it :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn -- and I had to WORK!!!hinking.gif

I am very happy the weather cooperated with the shoot, we had some pretty heavy weather up here in Broward.

I hope this gets done again in the near future, so I can plan for it better and actually BE there!
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Video of my MOM going full auto:  (Thx to Juan for the video)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoyQHu4d-Yo
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]
These are only two of the reasons why this event was done ...

John Hernandez was trained as an artillery officer at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery. He went to Kuwait with the first wave of troops in Operation Iraqi Freedom and was among those who moved into Iraq on March 19, 2003, the very first day of the war.

John’s unit was hit by indirect fire, mortars and enemy artillery, but they fought their way through. On April 3, 2003, John and his troops had just moved through the Karbala Gap and were about 30 kilometers south of Baghdad. They were firing artillery missions in support of maneuvers moving in on the Iraqi capital.

While doing reconnaissance in a Humvee, John and his men were taking shifts at watch while the others slept during the night. John heard what he first thought was one of his rocket launchers, but it was really incoming fire.

There was a horrendous explosion. When John came to, he checked out what was left of his legs and screamed, realizing his life had changed forever. But John had men to lead, even though his body was mangled. He dragged himself back to the vehicle to save his gunner who had also been wounded.

The Humvee was spewing fuel. There was fire in some places.  After John dragged the gunner some distance, two other soldiers came and took him the rest of the way. Then, as they carried John away, the Humvee blew up, knocking them to the ground. The vehicle blazed, with ammunition cooking off like crazy. Finally, a helicopter flew John to a hospital in Kuwait.

“Three men died that day,” said John. “Once I got to the hospital in Kuwait, I felt pretty much lucky to be alive. I don’t feel sorry for myself.”

Recuperation:  John arrived at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., on April 11, 2003. “One of the doctors explained my options, and I said, go ahead and do what you gotta do.”

John’s left foot was amputated, as was his right leg below the knee. There were 12 surgeries altogether.

John is very straightforward in describing rehabilitation: “It’s a crawl, walk, run, skip process. I wasn’t going to give up until I was able to run. It took time more than anything else. Your body has to get used to the prosthesis and the new situation.”

That may sound like it took one heck of a long time, but John walked down the aisle and danced when he married his wife, Kristi, on October 11, in a big wedding ceremony that they were unable to have when they were first married on December 27, 2002. Running came very soon after that as John trained on how to run on his new legs. And he got a major round of applause when he played lacrosse on the West Point alumni team.

Involvement with Wounded Warrior Project:  So early in the war, the Wounded Warrior Project had not yet been born when 1st Lieutenant John Fernandez arrived at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. But the organization captured his imagination when he learned about it from another West Point alumnus, whose brother was among WWP’s first staff members.

Long before John ever went to work for the organization, his enthusiasm boiled over: “The Wounded Warrior Project is the main point of reference for the transition from the military hospital to civilian life. They help you cut through all the red tape. They’re a real group of people doing just the right things in terms of helping wounded soldiers.”

Second quote: “From the beginning, the Wounded Warrior Project has had the right mindset and the right goals.”

Third quote: “We see on the news that a lot of troops are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, but many more are getting hurt over there and they must not be forgotten. Dealing with what has happened to the wounded is going to take a long time – a period of years, a lifetime really. That’s what America has to confront, and the Wounded Warrior Project is getting the work underway.”

Feelings about Helping Other Vets thru WWP:  As a West Point grad, John Fernandez could have worked toward a master’s degree in business and found his way into a high paying job. Maybe he will do that someday, but right now he has a different agenda. Shortly after he became aware of the Wounded Warrior Project, he felt a powerful pull toward a new way to serve our country. Toward the end of 2006, he discontinued his graduate studies and went to work as WWP’s Director of Alumni/Outreach.

Melissa Stockwell was commissioned an officer in the U.S. Army in May 2002, after which she received training as a transportation officer. She was deployed to Iraq in March 2004, and found out right away that a transportation officer’s job is a tough one.

The roads in and out of Baghdad are mean – loaded with homemade bombs. One of those weapons took out 1st Lieutenant Stockwell’s vehicle as she led a convoy along those treacherous roads. The blast threw the vehicle into a swerve. It slammed into a guardrail and crashed into a house.

There was a lot of blood. A medic put a tourniquet on the Melissa’s leg, but she didn’t yet know her leg was gone. She got that bad news when she woke up in a hospital and talked with her husband – also a soldier, stationed in another part of Baghdad.

It was a tough moment. But self pity never entered this young officer’s mind. Her thoughts went straight to the troops under her command. She was grateful that she was the one who was wounded, not one of the soldiers for whom she was responsible.

Melissa was glad her husband, Dick, was there for her at that moment, and they made an immediate decision: “Let’s get on with this, and on with life.”

From Iraq, Melissa was flown to Landstuhl Army Regional Medical Center in Germany. Her father was in Vienna at the time, and he came straight to Landstuhl, as did her sister and brother-in-law who were living in Slovakia. Melissa’s husband was also able to leave Iraq to join her and to accompany her to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., where she would spend a year recuperating and rehabilitating.

Melissa underwent 15 surgeries in all and says the treatment she received at Walter Reed was the “best care in the world. The rehab was wonderful.” However, she’ll admit to having a few bad days as she learned to walk again, and that’s when it was helpful to be surrounded by other war-wounded amputees.

Involvement with Wounded Warrior Project:  When asked about the Wounded Warrior Project, the first thing Melissa mentioned was the WWP backpack she received. It’s the same with all the combat-injured troops. They’re whisked from the scene where they were wounded; their uniforms are taken at the first medical station they reach. They go one way, usually to Landstuhl; their belongings, what little they have in Iraq or Afghanistan, go somewhere else. The troops arrive at stateside military medical centers in hospital gowns; often, they don’t even have toothbrushes.

So a WWP backpack full of simple clothing and toiletries can be a big deal – a very big deal.

But that’s just the beginning of the Wounded Warrior Project’s relationship with newly injured troops. “WWP people come right to your room,” said Melissa. “They’re very visible in the lives of the patients. In the hospital, you see the WWP name everywhere. It’s very comforting to know, right away, that there’s an organization out there helping.”

Melissa’s first experiences with WWP athletic rehabilitation programs came with a skiing trip to Breckenridge, Colorado, and with the SoldierRide cycling event. She’s completely clear about the value of these programs. “Skiing was absolutely the best experience I had after being hurt. I felt so free, just to fly down the side of a mountain.”

Employment Narrative:  At the time of this interview in 2006, Melissa was earning a second bachelor’s degree, this time in prosthetics from Century College in Minnesota. She said she felt absolute joy when she made a prosthetic leg for a ten-year-old girl, watched the child put the leg on, get up and jump around. In the future, she is hoping to help wounded soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan get their lives back through prosthetic care.

Feelings about Helping Other Vets thru WWP:  “The people at Wounded Warrior Project get right in there to do such a broad range of things. I feel very honored to be a part of it,” said Melissa, who serves as Treasurer on WWP’s Board of Directors. “I love being involved with this organization. Helping others like myself lets me know that I’m having an impact.”
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
My thanks to all who contributed.  This was the best S FL ARFCOM shoot yet.  Lars, you are a top-notch grillman.  

Also, thanks to the guys who let me shoot their guns, and you're welcome to those who shot mine.  

Great to see the usual suspects, and nice to meet new ones!
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a great time with everyone...  Nice meeting the S.Fla ARFCOM fan club in person...

Hey, where's my American Express T.V. advertisement explosive video presentation...

Oh, yes I know someone has it...  

Post that bad ass video clip up there right along side of Mickey Mouse...

Nothing better than using the trusty old M-1 Garand & 10 lbs of tanny on AMEX...

Hella-va shoot folks...
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a blast. Omi, you did a great job getting everything together. Work sucked after words though......

I have some photos that I will post.

Also, I know some of you have a photo of me holding Micky with my M1 Carbine. I wonder where it is? Post that kick ass picture.

Miami JBT
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also, I know some of you have a photo of me holding Micky with my M1 Carbine. I wonder where it is? Post that kick ass picture.
Miami JBT

Ask and ye shall receive...

Link Posted: 7/2/2007 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Omi for putting together another great day
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Omi and to everyone else for a great day and to everyone for supporting a great cause.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Next time someone sees Mickey's shooter slap him in the back of his head for having his finger in the trigger.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Next time someone sees Mickey's shooter slap him in the back of his head for having his finger in the trigger.  

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks like a good time for all with an exception of the Dirty Rat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Guys and Girls,

I had a blast on sunday. It was awesome to have the opportunity to shoot the .50 and the food was also great. Thanks Lars. I just had to register here after this 3rd time I show up. Thanks to Dave for inviting me.

Cheers,

Serjackal
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey Guys and Girls,

I had a blast on sunday. It was awesome to have the opportunity to shoot the .50 and the food was also great. Thanks Lars. I just had to register here after this 3rd time I show up. Thanks to Dave for inviting me.

Cheers,

Serjackal

I'm glad you made it......
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#27]
this was an awsome event and should be a yearly thing. thanks Omi
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey who was it that took the video of my MOM with the 50cal?  Can you send it to me or post it?

Thx ...

Psss -- there are tons or other pics I have yet to see -- there is one I really want of someone on a 50cal  
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanted to thank everyone that put this together, it was a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#30]
A giant thanks to Omi, the staff, and the ROs for making a this a fun, and SAFE day. Also a special thanks to Henry for letting us raid up  this field for day.

I am glad we were able to raise that much money for the WWP, I am sure it's going to be put to good use.

Link Posted: 7/5/2007 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Not only was it for a good GREAT Cause, but we got 3 New Members to join the site and contribute their first post on FHTF!

Welcome Guys!
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Not only was it for a good GREAT Cause, but we got 3 New Members to join the site and contribute their first post on FHTF!

Welcome Guys!

MiamiARfan...

Who has the video of the Flat-screen T.V. & tannerite charge ???

Again excellent safe shoot for a great cause...

I would certainly do this event again with-out a doubt...

My two Florida National Guard troops I brought had a blast with all you folks...

Thanks again for a safe fun shoot...
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Ryan, don't know about the Flat Screen.  I had to bug out before it was Kaboomed.

Omi?  Where the hell are all of the vids?  I would have figured with that many cameras we'd have a lot more You tube links by now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ryan, don't know about the Flat Screen.  I had to bug out before it was Kaboomed.

Omi?  Where the hell are all of the vids?  I would have figured with that many cameras we'd have a lot more You tube links by now.

I agree -- we are missing tons of pics and videos !!!  Come on guys -- POST THEM !!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I have it, I will try and get a link posted soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top