Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2008 5:25:55 PM EDT
Today with Dad and I was one of the best day Dad and I have had in along time fishing together on the beach. Thw whiting were biting all the way even at dark. We landed 29 and the biggest is 15". Tried out my new rod and reel, landed the biggest ones on it. Tuna.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice catch.  That Backlash pic sucked big-time though huh?  I hate it when that happens.  I had a Barracuda hit my pinfish just after it hit the water in 67 feet deep water, and spun the line so fast before I could grab it, or increase the drag, that I got a pretty good backlash.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Very nice catch.  That Backlash pic sucked big-time though huh?  I hate it when that happens.  I had a Barracuda hit my pinfish just after it hit the water in 67 feet deep water, and spun the line so fast before I could grab it, or increase the drag, that I got a pretty good backlash.
It sucked. I just put that line on. that was done on the fisrt cast. I had a 30 lb shock line on top of the 16 Ande tourny. The knot broke for the shock line. It was a shock to me. LOL. the sinker and the shock line went flying about 200 yards.  I could not even pull the line to even try to get that bird nest out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
that looks like it was REALLY early in the morning?
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice mess 'o whiting.  

Being it's you I can't really say this a "tourist" knot, so we'll call it a 'professional over-run'....  

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
that looks like it was REALLY early in the morning?
Try 1pm. That is rain.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice mess 'o whiting.  

i1.tinypic.com/6tu5ao7.jpg

Being it's you I can't really say this a "tourist" knot, so we'll call it a 'professional over-run'....  

Hate it when this happens!  Have ya'll ever had a bird's nest with Power Pro?  That stuff makes a mess and then some!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice mess 'o whiting.  

i1.tinypic.com/6tu5ao7.jpg

Hate it when this happens!  Have ya'll ever had a bird's nest with Power Pro?  That stuff makes a mess and then some!

Yes I have and, while I was dicking around trying to get it unfucked, a 12# snook decided to eat my pilchard.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool M-4 Tuna...

What are you guys using for bait ?    Shrimp, goggle eye's, pichards, squid or plastics ????

A nice day to be had by all...  Good fishing...

The snook are running real good down here in Fort Laud off the Jetty...

Monster Snook...
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Two hints on the backlash. First adjust your mag drag tighter than normal and slowly back off until you are getting the distance you seek. You'll have to tweak it every time the weight of your bait changes. Secondly, keep a little squirt bottle with a mix of dish detergent & water in your tackle box. Soak the line down on your reel before you get ready to go, give it a second squirt on the first cast before you reel in. After a little practice, you'll learn to love a bait caster over a spinner as you can get far more distance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Two hints on the backlash. First adjust your mag drag tighter than normal and slowly back off until you are getting the distance you seek. You'll have to tweak it every time the weight of your bait changes. Secondly, keep a little squirt bottle with a mix of dish detergent & water in your tackle box. Soak the line down on your reel before you get ready to go, give it a second squirt on the first cast before you reel in. After a little practice, you'll learn to love a bait caster over a spinner as you can get far more distance.
I usally dont have this problem.  I was casting a 10 foot rod it 5 oz sinker. The shock leader knot broke causing this mess. There was no way to stop it from happing. I had braid on it before. thanks for the tip Chuck with the soapwater I use to fish with a anchor line on the Pier for kings, I use to wet the reel down on my Penn Squidder that thing would scream with a 8 oz mud anchor on it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I usally dont have this problem.  I was casting a 10 foot rod it 5 oz sinker. The shock leader knot broke causing this mess. There was no way to stop it from happing. I had braid on it before. thanks for the tip Chuck with the soapwater I use to fish with a anchor line on the Pier for kings, I use to wet the reel down on my Penn Squidder that thing would scream with a 8 oz mud anchor on it.

I used to pier fish the same way when I lived in Jax. Made my own mud anchors, had some pretty freaky two rod rigs.

Sucks being in the middle of the state, sold the boat, sold the gear, really miss the salt water. At the time, I worked 4 tens and fished my 3 days off. Worked at WJCT and would yak with Monroe Campbell all the time. Once a year when we were prepping for the Jax Jazz festival, I worked nights for about a two week stretch, I'd take the boat with me to work and when I got off work at 9AM, I'd hit the water, no ass clowns on jet skis, just peacefulness and fish.  LOL, my answering machine message used to have the drag sound of line stripping off the reel followed by "fish on!"

Work, fish, sleep, in that order The good old days
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll have to take up Beach fishing or find a nice pier, cuz I can't afford to take my Proline offshore these days, unless I have 4-5 people pitching in for fuel.  Any takers????
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll have to take up Beach fishing or find a nice pier, cuz I can't afford to take my Proline offshore these days, unless I have 4-5 people pitching in for fuel.  Any takers????
Love the go. But time is the key.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to pier fish the same way when I lived in Jax. Made my own mud anchors, had some pretty freaky two rod rigs.

Sucks being in the middle of the state, sold the boat, sold the gear, really miss the salt water. At the time, I worked 4 tens and fished my 3 days off. Worked at WJCT and would yak with Monroe Campbell all the time. Once a year when we were prepping for the Jax Jazz festival, I worked nights for about a two week stretch, I'd take the boat with me to work and when I got off work at 9AM, I'd hit the water, no ass clowns on jet skis, just peacefulness and fish.  LOL, my answering machine message used to have the drag sound of line stripping off the reel followed by "fish on!"

Work, fish, sleep, in that order The good old days
Damn Chuck I did not even have a clue U did all that back then. I bet we have passed paths before and we did not even know it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Damn Chuck I did not even have a clue U did all that back then. I bet we have passed paths before and we did not even know it.

Anything is possible, that was in the years leading up to '94. Got married in '94, left Jax the following Jan. I do miss the water. But then I did buy an UZI with the proceeds from the boat and I have my own 100 yard range here at the house so all is not lost
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top