Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 8:18:31 AM EDT
Hello everyone.  I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first posting.  I am an experienced highpower shooter, shooting most of my matches in Kahlifornia.  I currently use an AR in competition.  I have a couple of fellow shooters who are using M1A's or M1's in competition and want to transition to the AR.  They cannot get an AR because of the ban, and we are trying to get some unlisted lowers but they seem to be in short supply around here (SD area).  So, here is the question:  Can we obtain those 80% finished lowers and complete the rest of work without having to have any kind of DOJ intervention.  If we can, do we have to number them or identify them in any manner, and how many can be made by an individual in a given period of time.  Any other insights would be helpful
Thanks for your responses.  I check the site often and will be putting in my two cents worth of experience and knowledge, for what it is worth.
Osoazul (it's a long story...)
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Building an 80% is gray and will never get listed.

Go to Calguns and order a non-listed lower.  

Order here, you owe me lunch
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27248
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello everyone.  I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first posting.  I am an experienced highpower shooter, shooting most of my matches in Kahlifornia.  I currently use an AR in competition.  I have a couple of fellow shooters who are using M1A's or M1's in competition and want to transition to the AR.  They cannot get an AR because of the ban, and we are trying to get some unlisted lowers but they seem to be in short supply around here (SD area).  So, here is the question:  Can we obtain those 80% finished lowers and complete the rest of work without having to have any kind of DOJ intervention.  If we can, do we have to number them or identify them in any manner, and how many can be made by an individual in a given period of time.  Any other insights would be helpful
Thanks for your responses.  I check the site often and will be putting in my two cents worth of experience and knowledge, for what it is worth.
Osoazul (it's a long story...)

hey fellow San Diegian.   I got my lower from Cold War Shooters at the Del Mar Gun Show. (thanks to Chris sn 6172Crew)

www.coldwarshooters.com

You can call or drive up

the only FFL dealer i know that will Dros in SD is precisionarms They are in Escondido.

Discountgunmart and American Shooter aren't Drosing the lowers.  Don't know about Turners though, I never asked them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Depending on how the law is written - or not ever written - 80% lowers may be safe or not.

Well, Harrott really addressed commercial firearms that could be identified and described accurately.

They are not banned by name.  They are not banned by feature. They are federally legal.

Federal matters are nonissue here.

But it's impossible to ban them by name/model and put them in CCR 979.11 simply because they don't have way of finding that out.  "BillyBob's Rifle #1", etc.  is impossible to list, and 'homebuilt AR' description can't be listed (vague).   Given the impracticality of this, Harrott  well may only apply to listable rifles/lowers - leaving Kasler to (disastrously) cover the lowers incapable of being listed, making these banned ARs de facto, without requirement of DOJ declaration...

This is quite grey and I would run, not walk away from this.

A prosecutor can indite a ham sandwich if they want.

Yes.

But these charges have a far greater chance of sticking and having to be resolved in appellate court.   That can cost $30K-$40K in legal fees just to stay out of the cooler.  And the book could be thrown at you - illegal manufacture, illegal transport, illegal possession - all compounded.

Let's walk the straight and narrow - especially as there's no need for homebuilt lowers when you can get a  perfectly good off-list lower for $175 today.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Chaingun...thanks for the info, I linked up to their site and it appears that I am going to be a day late, as the web said that today at 10 am was the last chance.  Osoazul.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Bill...thanks for the information.  I am going to avoid doing an 80%'er.  Osoazul.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chaingun...thanks for the info, I linked up to their site and it appears that I am going to be a day late, as the web said that today at 10 am was the last chance.  Osoazul.

www.coldwarshooters.com/
You still have until 1/28 with CWS.  Speak with Hector about some local xfer FFLs

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If you think the only way you can buy a non-listed AR lower is by waltzing into a San Diego gunshop, you don't want it bad enough.  I had do all kinds of research and make phone calls to suppliers, and still had to drive to Riverside and Los Angeles FFLs to DROS my two lowers before any San Diego FFLs had the balls to DROS non-listed lowers(Or, did they just $mell an opprotunity to make a buck off SD gunners)...anywhoo, Calguns.net is your best bet, or win a auction for a stripped non-listed AR lower on gunbroker.com and have shipped to a San Diego FFL(PM me if you need one).

You could try looking for a supplier to get the best price, if the DOJ bans before you DROS, you're screwed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.coldwarshooters.com/
You still have until 1/28 with CWS.  Speak with Hector about some local xfer FFLs

Hmm?

Dpoes that mean the last day you cans start DROS is the 28th or the last day you can pick up at that location?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top