BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/10/2005 1:17:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well I guess that I was " so fucking retarded" since I took his thread title as some bizarre misspelling of TONK instead of reading it as he intended. Maybe this is a sign that I've lost the patience to deal with (at least it appears to me) constant bickering over issues like this, or perhaps I never had it. So for that I certainly owe Shawn an apology.

tag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
tag - this drama is too good to miss
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Do I see a chink in the ARFCOM armor?
Can I say "chink" on this board?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that's a good start.

WTF is a Tonk?  I've honestly NEVER heard that one before.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm. SKWTD seemed like a bizarre way of spelling T_NK? Yeah, I'd say so. VERY BIZARRE
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well I guess that I was " so fucking retarded" since I took his thread title as some bizarre misspelling of TONK instead of reading it as he intended. Maybe this is a sign that I've lost the patience to deal with (at least it appears to me) constant bickering over issues like this, or perhaps I never had it. So for that I certainly owe Shawn an apology.

No, you were wrong to assume that anyone had used TONK in a derogatory fashion since AZEX original thread. You were wrong to assume that any use of the word TONK  or any reference thereto was in any way, shape or form even close to the objective that Ed was seeking when asking that it not be used in reference to individual, race, ethnicity, religion or culture. You were wrong to put yourself in a position where you had no concrete understanding.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Qualified at best, does not seem too sincere to me.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]

I took his thread title as some bizarre misspelling of TONK instead of reading it as he intended

Dyslexia is a serious issue,  we here at Az Arfcom will be glad to help you get the help you need.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WTF is a Tonk?  I've honestly NEVER heard that one before.

It's what's left if you take away the Honky.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]

So, Aimless, if you owe him an apology just go ahead & apologize & see if he accepts it.  Hopefully he & Sinistral will consent to again participate in these boards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So, Aimless, if you owe him an apology just go ahead & apologize & see if he accepts it.  Hopefully he & Sinistral will consent to again participate in these boards.

I don't know why they would want to while the iron curtain has been brought back to life. They were disrespected and put out the door as if they don't mean anything to this place. Frankly,Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The thread was titled:

"Sofa King We Todd Did"

Means:

"So Fucking Retarded"

Having to translate even furthers the point.

Aimless is pretty fitting...

Just having fun.

Disclaimer:
This thread should not be read if you are overweight, have a history of heart problems or know someone who has a history of heart problems.  Do not post or edit post while drinking adult beverages.  Do not lock Idustry Partners because you are not capible understanding the humor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well I guess that I was " so fucking retarded" since I took his thread title as some bizarre misspelling of TONK instead of reading it as he intended.... So for that I certainly owe Shawn an apology.

Very well. It takes a big man to admit he was wrong and apologize. That's a good start.

Quoted:
Maybe this is a sign that I've lost the patience to deal with (at least it appears to me) constant bickering over issues like this, or perhaps I never had it.

Is this some sort of a letter of resignation as Staff? Or just a "timeout"?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
[democrat]I think you should resign[/democrat]

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I repsect that you apologized.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't the first time we've crosses swords over stupid stuff. Maybe you're a great guy in real life, but you should not be trusted with any responsibility. I don’t care for you and I have a feeling you don’t care for me…No sleep lost either direction I’m sure.

I have met some of the best people in the world through this site and some of my dearest friends have come from here. I owe AR15.COM more then I can probably ever repay and the Avila family are the best of the best and I am honored that I can people like them “Friends”.  I have a problem with being too “Blunt” and saying what’s on my mind (good or bad) Due to the current climate here I think it’s best if I kept myself off the site for a bit (I don’t need this bullshit)…

We will let our Industry forum run until whenever the Avila's see fit to pull it. We will answer as few questions as possible there and will direct customers to call us or e-mail us (maybe even start our own message board for customer service questions). If the Avila’s need ANYTHING from Cav Arms, it is theirs for the asking and we will support the site as best we can, but I don’t see myself trying too hard to go to any more of the big gatherings. It’s hard to get to them and expensive and knowing people “Face to Face” hasn’t seemed to bought me any help where the rubber meets the road (I will gladly fly across country to see the Avila’s and/or the Texas Crew but I’ll meet George at the border ).

Mike, you need to take a breath, drink a soda and just ignor the AZ forum for a bit. Your trying too hard and making bad calls. Let Wiggy a Treetop lock stuff for a bit, you really are tossing gas on the fire...

Well put, Shawn.  And hey, the VAST majority of the guys on this site support you and what you have done for us.  We truly appreciate it.

Honestly, I wish MORE people were straight shooters and wouldn't bullshit people - my experiences with some (like Mark Graham of ARS) have been great, and I knew going in that if he told me something, even if it was delivered in a not-so-subtle way, that I always knew I was getting the unvarnished truth.

Good luck in the future endeavors (Damnit, man, get those fucking buffers done for the .45 uppers and make someone build a magblock for all our purty Greasgun mags!)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#20]
So a nun a hooker and a lesbian walk into a bar............
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]

It's what's left if you take away the Honky.

So can I still say honky tonk?  Or have country songs been banned here too?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
And to think, I missed out on all this by being at work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow.  Reason.  Whodathunkit?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Qualified at best, does not seem too sincere to me.  

Translation:  "I'm sorry you all made me do this."  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Can someone IM or email me and explain what the fuck TONK means.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

me 2
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
it's a supposed racial slur that represents the sound a maglight makes when it hits an illegal border hopper in the head (I didn't know border jumper was a race).

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#28]
More like a someone made me apologize but I don't really want too apology
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Sofa King =

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
It was the penguin huh, never would have guessed that.
Just curious.......why have mods in our forum if the carpetbaggers keep stickin their noses in ?
Why weren't our mods allowed to deal with this ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
it's a supposed racial slur that represents the sound a maglight makes when it hits an illegal border hopper in the head (I didn't know border jumper was a race).

So, if you hit a Canadian border jumper (illegal alien) over the head is it a different sound? Like ****aye?

A Hatian would be ****aye-mon?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it was attorneyspeak for I drew the line in the sand over some word when I really didn't know the meaning of it and now I have escalated the whole issue into a nuclear holocaust that has started to alienate anchor advertisers instead of just admitting that I might have been wrong to begin with and let it go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I think it sucks that the CavArms crew will not be posting here anymore.  I hope that this will be resolved all though it sounds as if this was just the final straw. Sorry to see you guys go.
Looks like this may have been a case of friendly fire in the war on trolls and assholes. I think it takes a man to step up and say he is sorry Aimless. Good on ya.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Well, it might mean you just banned yourself.  The staff has posted that any and all use of that word (to include variations in spelling, and spelled backwards) in any context on Arfkom is grounds for banning.

Don't worry, you might slip through unscathed.

But, in answer to your question it's  a Border Patrol (supposedly) slang term that  refers to illegal aliens.  It's supposed to be the sound that a four cell mag light makes when it hits a human skull.

Azex posted a reference to driving through a neighborhood in Mesa, Arizona and seeing tonks.  Some moderators interpreted that as a racial term directed at all Hispanics and asked that it not be used, a large number of Arizona members protested strongly that it only refers to criminal illegals, which is a big issue in Arizona.

The whole thing has steadily escalated since, to the point of damaging the board and hurting people's pride.

I'd like to hope we can get over this without losing some of the best Arfkommers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it might mean you just banned yourself.  The staff has posted that any and all use of that word (to include variations in spelling, and spelled backwards) in any context on Arfkom is grounds for banning.

Don't worry, you might slip through unscathed.

But, in answer to your question it's  a Border Patrol (supposedly) slang term that  refers to illegal aliens.  It's supposed to be the sound that a four cell mag light makes when it hits a human skull.

Azex posted a reference to driving through a neighborhood in Mesa, Arizona and seeing *****.  Some moderators interpreted that as a racial term directed at all Hispanics and asked that it not be used, a large number of Arizona members protested strongly that it only refers to criminal illegals, which is a big issue in Arizona.

The whole thing has steadily escalated since, to the point of damaging the board and hurting people's pride.

I'd like to hope we can get over this without losing some of the best Arfkommers.

Hope you didn't just shoot yourself in the foot.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, other than I think the whole situation is a little rediculous, and I agree that it has gotten to the point of damaging the board.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Let me know what you guys think.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Just my opinion but that apology= BS!!!

This site sure has changed for the worse since 2001.  You guys try so hard to fix problems and end up making things so much worse.  Maybe there is an inbetween but its not on the current path.  One of the biggest problems is that you really don't give a shit if you run a long time member off.    

Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it was originally a term for the undocumented Chinese railroad workers in the 1800's.

The following is a break down in the origin and meaning of references to
undocumented aliens that is/was used within the INS:

EWIs - This means "entry without inspection". "EWI" is used in a more formal
dialog mostly among INS circles and other law enforcement agencies.

Mojados - This is a Spanish word meaning "wets" in reference to the Mexicans and
Central Americans "getting wet" crossing the Rio Grande River.

Tonk - It is rumored that this references the Chinese workers that came to the San
Francisco waterfront during the 1800s. The Tonks were the backbone of building
the railroad from San Francisco east to meet up with the Irish workers.

Pollo - This is a Spanish word meaning "chicken". This word derived from the
smugglers along the Mexican and U.S. border. They referred to their clients as
"chickens" in that they, the smugglers, would herd (smuggle) their "chickens" or
"pollos" across the U.S. border.

Pollero - This is Spanish for "chicken herder". The smuggler referred to himself as
a "chicken herder" or "pollero".

Jose - Jose is a very common name in Latin America. Thus the border patrol
agents would make reference to an apprehended illegal alien using "Jose" as an
alias.

Jose Tonk - This is just a combination of two words derived among INS
enforcement personnel in reference to an undocumented alien caught in the act
of illegally entering the United States. This is used exclusively along the Mexican
U.S. border.

Campecinos - This is a Spanish word meaning "farm worker”. The vast share of
illegal aliens coming across the Mexican/U.S. border are farm workers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is the root cause of all this.

And wrong.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know why they would want to while the iron curtain has been brought back to life. They were disrespected and put out the door as if they don't mean anything to this place. Frankly,Fuck that.

Disrespected?  WTF is that?  Many times in life people make mistakes, as Ed Sr. is fond of tagging, there really is no need for apologies between friends, you accept that your friends are human and you accept that they sometimes make a mistake.  Part of the freindship thing is moving on without any hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Honestly, wouldn't it make the same sound bouncing off of anyones head?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh shit, another snowbird piping in with all of their wisdom.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#45]
All I can say, is this place is going downhill quickly. When the hell did arfcom become so PC?? I realize there are limits, and we need to be adults, need to be respectful, etc.. but c'mon!!!

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
(I will gladly fly across country to see the Avila’s and/or the Texas Crew but I’ll meet George at the border ).

Mi casa es su casa, bro.  And I bet the whole Texas crew feels that way too.  Come on out!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I gather you beleive that AZ residents are a seperate species?  You may want to look up the term 'balkanization'.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Do I see a chink in the ARFCOM armor?
Can I say "chink" on this board?

You were waiting all day to say that, weren't you.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gather you beleive that AZ residents are a seperate species?  You may want to look up the term 'balkanization'.

No, but the only people piping in without even knowing what's going on is you snowbirds.

I personally don't go into other states forum, find the first thread and start spouting off stuff. Another snowbird did this earlier. You guys must lurk around in the AZ forum because it's so much more fun than you own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top