Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:01:21 PM EDT
Very few details, 3 LEO's hurt (shot)
KVOA link
"Oracle & River roads, Tanque Verde near Houghton road, and the Catalina highway. All of these roadways, and some surrounding roadways have been closed until further notice."

KOLD link
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw that. Well I was actually forced to watch it as someone at KGUN9 decided to have a "breaking news alert" with eight laps to go in the Indy race. Frankly that's not what I consider to be worthy of a breaking news alert. Sad, yes, but considering the matter had concluded, I feel it could have waited. Too bad about the cops though, hopefully the critically injured one makes it. Should be interesting to see what the media makes of this one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
JESUS H CHRIST!!!!

Hope the officers are okay!  I hope the suspect get's what he deserves!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
sad thing is there is nothing that can be done now to dish out what is deserved, you got 3 injured cops and one more violent criminal heading to prison, seems like a pretty unbalanced equation
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy crap, more details are coming in (check links in OP) and it looks like it was all 1 chase, not really separate incidents. I hope the cop that got shot in the head pulls through.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Word is apparently the TPD officer has died.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I saw that. Well I was actually forced to watch it as someone at KGUN9 decided to have a "breaking news alert" with eight laps to go in the Indy race. Frankly that's not what I consider to be worthy of a breaking news alert. Sad, yes, but considering the matter had concluded, I feel it could have waited. Too bad about the cops though, hopefully the critically injured one makes it. Should be interesting to see what the media makes of this one.

I remember channel 4 (I think) interrupted a Chargers game (toward the end of the season) because Lute Olsen was going for a temporary leave of absence. JESUS CHRIST!  Anyone watching an NFL game DOESNT GIVE A FUCK about college basketball. I was fucking pissed. I'm still pissed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
a game on tv and news about lute is a tad different than 3 law enforcement officers being shot, maybe it's just me..
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Word is apparently the TPD officer has died.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I am terrible sorry to hear about the officers death.  I was on Mt. Lemon today on my bicycle.  This is what I saw.  Comming down about 10:30 a sherifs Durango went by me down the mtn. at about mm 19 and he was flying.  10:50 there were about five cars and another cyclist stopped at about mm 6.  The other cyclist told me a deupty stopped him and the others.  He heard over the radio "one held at gun point".  The deputy came back about ten minutes later and said "Their has been a big shooting.  The mtn will be closed at least two hours.".  Going down at about 4:00 Molino basin was taped off with the evidence trailer parked there along with several officers.  There was a Sherifs Durango taped off at about mm 2.5 to 3 pointed up the mtn up next to the rocks near the south bound lane.  At mm 1.5 two Sherifs Durangos and a little white car on the downard bound side of the road with several markers (by several I mean alot) on the ground.  It was a little bit of a bad day for me spening 10 hrs in the sun but the sights and then the news put it in perspecitve.  Damn  

edit to add forgot about the helo flying around when we were initialy stopped
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
And the sad part is the little fucker (read= piece of shit, slimeball, scum sucking, shoulda' ate a bullet for breakfast, cop killing, PRICK) is still alive.  There should be some crimes that are automatically summary execution.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]

There should be some crimes that are automatically summary execution.

Yep,  like unjustified killings of anyone not just agents of the State....
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1  A cop's life is no more valuable than any other innocent's life.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]
RIP to the fallen and a speedy recovery for the wounded.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Last I heard he was still on life support in critical condition. That's still better than being dead. Prayers go out, hopefully he can recover. And I hope that little shit fucker gets what's coming to him.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't believe you resent a car race being broken in to for the critical shooting of a law officer who may need help or at least people to be aware of driving in their own surroundings.
I love car races, I have 3 Z-28's 5 years apart and a SS Trailblazer, but I worry about our law enforcement folks in today's world and one of the things I most worry about is the numbing down of their lives.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to high school with the shooter, he graduated a year before me. Seemed like a normal guy back then, kinda known for dealing drugs as I recall... Apparently he had recently been making death threats to old friends that he hadn't contacted in years. That's an unconfirmed rumor though...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I went to high school with the shooter, he graduated a year before me. Seemed like a normal guy back then, kinda known for dealing drugs as I recall... Apparently he had recently been making death threats to old friends that he hadn't contacted in years. That's an unconfirmed rumor though...

No disrespect intended, but what the hell kind of "normal guy" sells drugs??  As for the comments about a cops life being no more of value than an ordinary citizens life, I'd kindly have to disagree.  When someone gets hurt, you don't call your neighbor, your attorney (unless you're the one that did the hurtin), or anyone else.  You call the police and EMS.  While not neccessarily held up on a pedestal, they are the ones that put their lifes on the line every single day and for that they should get a little respect.  I'm waiting for the cop bashing to begin, but I think that anyone in public service should get some respect whether it be fire, EMS, police, teachers, doctors, etc...  

Don't get me wrong, I know there are bad apples in every group, but lets face it cops have one of the most dangerous jobs out there.  And for the record, I try to respect everyone, even my friggen mechanic that works on my car gets a six pack when I pick up my truck (by the way it'll be for sale soon ).  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  A cop's life is no more valuable than any other innocent's life.

I'm not saying that anyone's life is more valuable than anyone else's, but as much as I hate murderers, I hate cop killers more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Normal as in, not screwed up enough to go on a cross-town shooting rampage. Also, when I say I remember him being a drug dealer, I'm talking about high-school level stuff. Certainly not anything I would ever do myself, but he wasn't psycho back then, or at least he didn't act like it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can't believe you resent a car race being broken in to for the critical shooting of a law officer who may need help or at least people to be aware of driving in their own surroundings.
I love car races, I have 3 Z-28's 5 years apart and a SS Trailblazer, but I worry about our law enforcement folks in today's world and one of the things I most worry about is the numbing down of their lives.

It's a bit different when the event that the news alert is addressing is already long over. If the news alert had come on in order to tell people to avoid certain areas because a shoot was in progress it would not have bothered me in the least bit. The news alert I saw though contained no useful information at all. After watching it in its entirety I knew only that 3-4 officers had been shot at various locations, that the perp used an assault rifle, and that the suspect was in custody. In my opinion news alerts should only be used in events when the well being of individuals or the the populous at large is actively being threatened (natural disasters, shootings, etc.). However, this was not the case with the news alert I saw.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]

but lets face it cops have one of the most dangerous jobs out there.

Compared to what?

I'm sure you will be very safe being a PA if you watch out for rocks and TB.

The 10 most dangerous jobs
Occupation Fatalities per 100,000  
Timber cutters 117.8  
Fishers 71.1  
Pilots and navigators 69.8  
Structural metal workers 58.2  
Drivers-sales workers 37.9  
Roofers 37  
Electrical power installers 32.5  
Farm occupations 28  
Construction laborers 27.7  
Truck drivers 25  

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics; survey of occupations with minimum 30 fatalities and 45,000 workers in 2002
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't believe this crap, about if one mans life is worth more or less then another man. It looks like LEO is dead doing his job. God Bless!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
This was jusst crazy, I haven't been in town that long and I was just in the area right before it happpened. My family and I pulled into a Boston market for a late lunch. There was 5 motorcycle cops there as well. About 30 mins later we was back at the house watching TV when my son said there is the cops from that was next to us eating. I looked up and there was atleast 3 of the motorcycle cops standing outside of the Hospital. It was kinda hard explaining it to my son.

Anyhow, I pary for those people and families envolved in this traggic event.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#24]
It's official, Officer Hite died.  

Police Officer Erik Hite
Tucson Police Department
Arizona
End of Watch: Monday, June 2, 2008

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 4 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Sunday, June 1, 2008
Weapon Used: Rifle
Suspect Info: Apprehended

Officer Erik Hite succumbed to a gunshot wound sustained the previous day by a suspect who was fleeing deputies from the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

The suspect had shot and wounded two deputies who had responded to two homes that the suspect had fired a rifle into. The suspect then fled the home in a vehicle, with one of the wounded deputies in pursuit.

During the pursuit the suspect suddenly made a U-turn and fired at Officer Hite, who was sitting in his patrol car.

The suspect continued to flee but stopped his vehicle a short time later and surrendered.

Officer Hite had served was a U.S. Navy veteran and had served with the Tucson Police Department for 4 years.

Agency Contact Information
Tucson Police Department
270 S. Stone Ave
Tucson, AZ 85701

Phone: (520) 791-4444

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#25]
RIP

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm wondering WHY they've been tight lipped on the "TYPE" of assault weapon he was using.

This is usually the FIRST thing they lead with.

I saw his "MYSPACE" Photo, and there was a Yugo SKS and an AK-47 "TYPE" of weapon in it.

I really wish he had caught a bad case of lead poisoning...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm wondering WHY they've been tight lipped on the "TYPE" of assault weapon he was using.

This is usually the FIRST thing they lead with.

I saw his "MYSPACE" Photo, and there was a Yugo SKS and an AK-47 "TYPE" of weapon in it.

I really wish he had caught a bad case of lead poisoning...

Trust me dude, you're not the only one.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow this is really sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top