Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 11:23:00 AM EDT
I have a thread in the team area but the short of it is this story is about my brother...

www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1128504062193900.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

I would like to know if there is anybody here in the Lancster/Yrk/Hersher/Harrisbug (typos on purpose)area that might be willing or able to give a hand if needed?  This weekend the plan is to simply get a security system installed but after that we are looking for help to get the house cleaned up and redone.  I am not sure how this offer would be received but with enough help we could make a hell of an impact in a short period of time........

Please don't post too much about the incident here... please don't quote the news...  please be careful about typing anything that might allow the media to find this...  The media have been all over my Brother's house and he is doing his best to avoid them.  I contacted the Lanc paper today to get a basic message out on behalf of the family.

I am not one to ask for help normally but we are under way too much pressure and stress and if we had nothing more then a bunch of guys available to screw with the media and keep them away from the house it would be a sucessful mission...  if we can ge some help getting the outside cleaned up as well as possibly working on the inside that would mean a great deal to a family that has been through so much.

They will likley not be ble to sell the house right now anyways but it seems clear that they will never be comfortable in this house again as it is so either we can work to make things better so they feel more comfortble or better so they can put the place up for sale and start over again.

This is not easy for me to ask but like I said the neighbors there can and will help but more hands will make a point and that point is needed even if it is just a show of support.  I will work out details with my family to see if it is a go but we will be there Saturday and Sunday this weekend.  I would really love some backup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I so wish I could help you out this weekend.  I have kid duty this weekend and have back to back soccer travel matches for them.  This story tugs at my heart strings.  I wish I could do more.  If anything changes I will try to reach you via either IM or email.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand and have heard from a few people that are busy this weekend.  I also understand the weather may nit be so great this weekend due to the storm (I have not really seen the TV or weather in days so I had no clue)....

This weekend the goal is the security system...  the outside fixes may happen any of the various weekends ahead of us...  I would just like to get the house done before SIL comes home and I really don't know how long that will be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If soccer gets rained out, I will be available Sunday for sure.  Will you still need help if its raining?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I am still trying to get in contact with my brother...  his cell phones were stollen and he is not at the house so I need him to call me to work out the rest of the details...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a tenative date/weekend...

I talked with my brother this evening and asked if he would accept help and he will...  Following is the general plan:

This Weekend

This weekend we will be working on the security system and I am working with his employer (ADT Security Systems) to see if some of the guys there would be available to lend a hand and the really cool tools they have to do the job...  My brother's work veichle (ADT work van) is secured as they have not recovered his keys yet or we would have his work tools (upto 6-ft long drill bits, wire running tools, meters, gauges, sensors, wire, plugs ,etc...  This is more time consuming themn labor consuming and needs to be done before we can some of the stuff planned for next weekend.  No offence, but we would also prefer to take care of this ourselves.

Just the same, I did ask if my brother would allow me to invite as many people over as I can get to help with the outside of the house...  just help trim up the yard, add a security lights out the back on motion detectors, perhaps add some paint, and just try to make the place look as good, and perhaps DIFFERENT then it did that night.

We would also appreciate people that don't really know us or what is going on to help distract the media as we do expect that they may be hanging around...  they may have had their fill of the story and I am woried about a non-issue or we could have the satellite trucks in the front yard.

The other plan for ths weekend is to start packing some of their stuff and get it moved into a storage unit or secure place so we can work on the house next week.

Week 2:  Oct 15th & 16th

My brother had been trying to work on the house and had added new electric lines and was working to plaster and fix some of the walls.  I would love to get a group of guys that could help us attack the house next weekend Oct 15/16th to help patch any holes, trim, and paint and help them get the house all fixed up.  I suggested to my brother that if things look a little different it may help his wife if she needs to come back there or if she will not live there anymore it will help then have a head start to putting the house on the market to try to sell it.  So Oct 15/16th is the plan to really work on the house if anybody is willing or able to help.

I am reaching out to coworkers, family, neighbors, and ARFCOM for help...  I understand if people can't help but there is no way that my brother and I can do this by ourselves and I would rather have too many people then struggle to do a half assed job because two of us are trying to get it done quick because my SIL will be coming home and it is the best we could do.  I don't have a large extended family...  you are my extended family.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude that is terrible.  I read it in the paper this AM and was in shock.  I hope their family can pick up the pieces and move on.  If I had any opportunity to free up some of my schedule I would make the drive out and help.  

I have to ask the question....He works for ADT but did not have a security system in his house?  Or he had one and they(bad guys) compromised it somehow?

John
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't help this weekend, but count me in (and my wife....if we can get a sitter) for the following weekend.

I have plenty of tools I can bring and I can go to Home Depot on Friday to pick up any supplies needed. Let me know what's needed.

Hopefully the jackals will be bored....and gone...by then.

IM sent with "real" contact info.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the link in the team area for those that are members...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=395844
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
QB- That's terrible.  I need to work the next 2 weekends, but might be able to get up to the area the weekend of 10/22, if you need a hand then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
QB- That's terrible.  I need to work the next 2 weekends, but might be able to get up to the area the weekend of 10/22, if you need a hand then.

Thanks Paul!

I hope we will be done by then but if not I will let you know...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't begin to tell you how shocked and dismayed I am to hear of this tragedy/travesty.
I am not available this weekend but am available during the week (except Wednesday).
Please let me know how I can help.
Dave
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a million miles away.

Can you set up a PP donation thing?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm a million miles away.

Can you set up a PP donation thing?

I hate to post this but yes... if people want to donate please send PAYPAL to

[email protected]

I do not use that account and I will commit to a full disclosure for every cent that goes in or comes out of that account...  It would help the work weekend a great deal as I can't afford to cover all these costs myself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#14]
For those that were interested in helping... or just interested... I have moved the threads on my forum...

I needed to move the threads around on my forums as I figured out Yahoo had spidered my forums and got the area I had for our get together this weekend...

I moved the threads here and protected it with the password - "password" (No QUOTES):

www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134

I need some idea of who will be there this weekend and which day(s) so we can plan...  there is a thread on my website!
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be there in the morning!  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
e-mail sent
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I had posted an update here:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=400618

That thread is something everybody should read!

As for a more current update, Patty came home last Sunday...  I am not so sure it was a great idea but she was tired of being in the hospital and it had to happen sooner or later.  She is still in very rough shape as she still has the broken toes on her right foot and she had reconstructive surgery on her left leg below the knee.  Add to this a broken tail bone and it makes it really tough for her to sit up or stand.  She is walking with a walker but she needs someone to be with her.

She can not do stairs yet so they setup a bed in the living room and my brother is sleaping in a recliner next to her.  My brother seems tired more then anything but extremely angry for what these three did to them.

The have visiting nurses or therapy people visiting the house several times a day and because of the extensive skin wories Patty needs to be very careful about infection.  I was going to go out this weekend and help put the house together a little more for the but I am getting a cold and I can't take a chance on getting patty or Dave sick at this time.

The whole situation just sucks...  
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quarter....here's an item for your home invasion defense to go along with the motion sensor lights.

I'm picking up one this weekend!

CS
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quarter....here's an item for your home invasion defense to go along with the motion sensor lights.

I'm picking up one this weekend!

CS

Link Posted: 10/29/2005 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#22]
sympathies sent. your brother will be OK, and the bad guys will get hard time. these are felony crimes, and the stack is damned deep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top