Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2005 1:36:02 AM EDT
I was shooting my M16A1 with its 11½ inch barrel on Straight Semi, mainly to keep my shooting skills up to par.  Just 12 magazines this time around.  I shot up some of my Ammo Day ammo I had purchased.  Only 360 rounds this time; nothing really major, the C-Mag stayed at home.
The first two magazines were at targets 100 yards away.  Then I switched to the 200 yard line and stayed there for the rest of the day.
The Range was pretty crowded.  Hunting Season was almost there.
But after a while I noticed something interesting.
Except for the kids (teens) shooting rimfires at the Pistol targets, everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY else was shooting scoped rifles at the 100 yard targets.
True, a couple of guys with lever actions (30-30 mainly, with one Gent with a .444 Marlin) came later and shot with Iron Sights.  They also shot at the 100 yard targets.

All day long I was the only one shooting at the 200 yard targets.  And with Iron Sights no less.
(Decent day; most of the shots were in the black.  About a dozen got into the X-Ring.)
It was weird, not only being the only person shooting at 200, but shooting string after string without a scope.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I suspect hunting season has a lot to do with it.  Most shots in PA for deer are under 100 yards no matter what the "shooter" says. " I hit him running over there down the hollow...must have been darn near 400 yards!"
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
People like to zero their rifles at 100.  I know I do, then I know where they will be at 50-300.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Most guys do not understand iron sights.  I do 100% of my shooting with irons.  National Match Course 200-300-600yds, 1000 yd Prone, and even smallbore 3 and 4 position 50ft-50M-100yds, and air rifle too.  The nearest target I practice with a highpower rifle is 200yds.

The average shooter/hunter would do well to learn a little about marksmanship (sight alignment, Natural point of aim, trigger control).  It would help them to be better shooters and hunters.

john
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Most PA Deer Are Taken At 4 Feet With A Muzzle Velocity Of 55MPH Horn Blowing With Headlights And Windsheild Wipers On And A Projectile Weighing Around 2200Lbs. No Need For A Scope They Will Actually Jump Right In Front Of The Projectile. That Is How I Sight In The Old Yukon Every Year
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
good one
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most PA Deer Are Taken At 4 Feet With A Muzzle Velocity Of 55MPH Horn Blowing With Headlights And Windsheild Wipers On And A Projectile Weighing Around 2200Lbs. No Need For A Scope They Will Actually Jump Right In Front Of The Projectile. That Is How I Sight In The Old Yukon Every Year

Yup, how true!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Truth be told, for the last 20 years, the deer have run a greater risk being hit by my vehicle on the way to the woods than they ever faced being hit by a bullet fired from my weapon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was shooting my M16A1 with its 11½ inch barrel on Straight Semi, mainly to keep my shooting skills up to par.  Just 12 magazines this time around.  I shot up some of my Ammo Day ammo I had purchased.  Only 360 rounds this time; nothing really major, the C-Mag stayed at home.
The first two magazines were at targets 100 yards away.  Then I switched to the 200 yard line and stayed there for the rest of the day.
The Range was pretty crowded.  Hunting Season was almost there.
But after a while I noticed something interesting.
Except for the kids (teens) shooting rimfires at the Pistol targets, everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY else was shooting scoped rifles at the 100 yard targets.
True, a couple of guys with lever actions (30-30 mainly, with one Gent with a .444 Marlin) came later and shot with Iron Sights.  They also shot at the 100 yard targets.

All day long I was the only one shooting at the 200 yard targets.  And with Iron Sights no less.
(Decent day; most of the shots were in the black.  About a dozen got into the X-Ring.)
It was weird, not only being the only person shooting at 200, but shooting string after string without a scope.

I went through the same thing two weekends ago...besides me, the only other iron sight user was a young man with his Winchester 94 at the 50 yd. range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been this route.

Asshole told me my AR was an inaccurate POS until I showed him my 200 yd target shot with irons.

tighter group than his scoped bolt gun at 50 yards.

He sat there with his jaw on the deck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been this route.

Asshole told me my AR was an inaccurate POS until I showed him my 200 yd target shot with irons.

tighter group than his scoped bolt gun at 50 yards.

He sat there with his jaw on the deck.

Same here.  I was shooting my HK91 when a gaggle of Elmer Fudds showed up to sight in their hunting rifles.  I was getting dirty looks from them at first...but when we went to check our targets four of them had groups I'd guess to be around 8-12 inches, one actually had a nice 2" group of 3 shots, and I had 20 rnds in a 7" group.  The guy who shot the 2" group seemed kind of interested when we got back on the line and struck up a conversation asking what caliber it was in and how much they cost and so on.  I let him fire a mag through it.  He couldn't get over how far it tosses the brass!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top