Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 5:59:04 PM EDT
Take one Armalite AR15T Carbine Upper
Add one dremel tool, with assorted bits, one drill motor with assorted bits, and a complete misunderstanding of the way the brake WAS pinned to the barrel.

Shake well for one hour and the end result is

One un-neutered barrel minus a few threads

And decisions decisions, just what does a fashionable barrel wear these days?

STEP AWAY FROM THE DREMEL!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
One a side note did anyone bugger their work up worse than this?

Yes I was starting to think about cutting it in half!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still trying to find the darn spot weld on my T upper.   I'm probably getting blind because I simply cannot see it.  I'm trying to avoid this kind of mess...  

I know it "should be" at 6 o'clock and a 5/16in diameter.   How did yours look like?

Have you got the stock also?   I oredered one but Armalite is still backordered...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I could see mine as a slight discoloration.  It showed up a long time ago when I shot the snot out of this upper and got it awfully hot.

Here's a pic I took of how it looked before the Dremel possessed me, I was going to take a bunch and document the removal but then it all went horribly wrong and it was too ugly to document.

I haven't planned on replacing the stock on this lower so I didn't order one from anyone.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That helps.  At least shows where mine is, or should be.   That is, close to the groove.  Thanks!
I'll start "digging" soon.  

By the way... what are the two models you have in the photos?  The Armalite's I ordered is still on the way so I do not know how it looks like.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a standard A2 and a Vortex that I had in the parts box.

There's  thread in the AR10 section about taking the brakes from AR10s and a couple of guys have mentioned the difficulty in seeing the weld on the T uppers.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=201048

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote to keep the Vortex....

I just started with all new parts...and out came a Mega/colt A-1 and a Mega/Bush 24" fluted HBAR  <cough cough> varmit rifle.

Now do I really want a folding stock on my AK?....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My God, man...what have you DONE?!

You've got more balls than I would have taking the 'hack' to the AR10!  
I'll seek 'professional help'...

BTW - nice work!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just a standard A2 and a Vortex that I had in the parts box.

There's  thread in the AR10 section about taking the brakes from AR10s and a couple of guys have mentioned the difficulty in seeing the weld on the T uppers.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=201048

Yep... I was asking there as well.  

I cannot see any kind of stain on mine.   After looking very carefully with a scope I managed to find a very little scratch that could be the sign of a weld... but not certain because it does not match the position in your photo.  Can be a random scratch.

I'm starting to wonder if it has any pin at all...  

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I vote to keep the Vortex....

The cool thing is that I can have both!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Put the brake back on.  It looks sweet, and by sweet I mean totally kool!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I want a vortex, but I want one like you have with grooves. The current Smith's Enterprise vortex' look like they don't have grooves. Anyone know of another decent mfg for vortex f/h's?

Grooves?  You told me you liked Ribbed for your pleasure.

Seriously though, I need to be sure before I go buy a dremel, is it now legal for me to unpin my buttstock on my M4gery so it telescopes again?  I was told it was pinned and had a metal sleeve inside to keep it from being adjustable.

Since I'm such a smart ass I guess nobody thought my thread with this question was serious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Put the brake back on.  It looks sweet, and by sweet I mean totally kool!

You can have it for one of your rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
FH just arrived from Armalite.   Will have a busy weekend...  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a shot of the end of the brake.  At the top you can see the depth of the cut I had made after drilling and failing to find the pin that way.  You'll notice that the cut isn't even halfway to the threads.   There was a lot more metal there than I thought there was.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want a vortex, but I want one like you have with grooves. The current Smith's Enterprise vortex' look like they don't have grooves. Anyone know of another decent mfg for vortex f/h's?

Grooves?  You told me you liked Ribbed for your pleasure.

Seriously though, I need to be sure before I go buy a dremel, is it now legal for me to unpin my buttstock on my M4gery so it telescopes again?  I was told it was pinned and had a metal sleeve inside to keep it from being adjustable.

Since I'm such a smart ass I guess nobody thought my thread with this question was serious.

I was told by others that got the LEGP (remember that one?) it was a normal collapsing stock that was pinned in place and had a metal tube inside that also kept it from be adjustable.  Sound like I don't know who/what/when or why?  It's because I really don't know.  

I guess I get to pull it apart on Saturday just for fun.

Why wouldn't it be legal?

Anyway, are you sure you don't have a rifle length buffer tube in that stock? If so, it wouldn't make sense to buy the parts and do all that work when you could just go buy a real collapsable stock.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL77/858902/5228703/66758342.jpg

My removal was successful.  I didn't care what the brake looked like, so mine looked much worse, but I did not bugger one single thread.  I could not tell where the pin was, there was very little color difference.  I used a 90 degree die grinder with a cut off wheel to mill down the pin area.  When I could barely see the pin, I hit it with a center punch.  That clearly defined the edges.  When I had machined enough off the opposite side, I hit the pin with a punch again.  It then popped out.  The pin was made from oxy-actelene welding rod.  I put the barrel in a vice and put a screwdriver through the brake and then whacked it with my hand.  I threaded off nicely.  Phantom will be in soon......I hope.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My removal was successful.  I didn't care what the brake looked like, so mine looked much worse, but I did not bugger one single thread.  I could not tell where the pin was, there was very little color difference.  I used a 90 degree die grinder with a cut off wheel to mill down the pin area.  When I could barely see the pin, I hit it with a center punch.  That clearly defined the edges.  When I had machined enough off the opposite side, I hit the pin with a punch again.  It then popped out.  The pin was made from oxy-actelene welding rod.  I put the barrel in a vice and put a screwdriver through the brake and then whacked it with my hand.  I threaded off nicely.  Phantom will be in soon......I hope.  

I think mistake was in not making the cuts nearly deep enough to start with.  But since you are tormenting me with your removal that went better than mine did I shall now taunt you.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Phil, I have one of those too, if Oly ever gets it welded on and my upper back to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey!  That looks cool... does it performs as well as it looks?  How does it compare to Armalite's model?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not understanding the whole threaded barrel thing I guess. My B-master M-4 has a pinned and welded mini-Y comp which I think looks pretty good and since it is on a 14.5 inch barrel if I removed it would it not have to be replaced with a permanantly attached piece anyway to meet the 16 inch law. are most rifles a 16 with a welded muzzle device? Enlighten me.Also, I am thinking of buying an Oly Arms PCR-99 from a friend, it has a 16 inch barrel but there is a groove around the barrel about a half inch or less from the muzzle, can this be threaded? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Would this be considered NRA grade poor? or fair?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am not understanding the whole threaded barrel thing I guess. My B-master M-4 has a pinned and welded mini-Y comp which I think looks pretty good and since it is on a 14.5 inch barrel if I removed it would it not have to be replaced with a permanantly attached piece anyway to meet the 16 inch law. are most rifles a 16 with a welded muzzle device? Enlighten me.Also, I am thinking of buying an Oly Arms PCR-99 from a friend, it has a 16 inch barrel but there is a groove around the barrel about a half inch or less from the muzzle, can this be threaded? Thanks

Yeah, IIRC it can be threaded. All post bans with a muzzle device are welded.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I am glad I am not the only one who did this.  I burned through a Dremel wheel, got frustrated and pulled out the mini grinder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am glad I am not the only one who did this.  I burned through a Dremel wheel, got frustrated and pulled out the mini grinder.

The reinforced cutting wheel I was using did fine until I went into the "just cut the damn thing in half" mode, that's when it got worn down and fast too.

The best bits I had in the box was an aluminum oxide grinding stone and the 9901 tungsten carbide cutter.  My recommendation from now in is to just grid the crap out of the brake, just lay into that sucker with a grinding device.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
tag

6 months and it's finally 'tagged'?
Alrighty, then!
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Nothing like thread resurrection.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

my little troll is all grown up........he is a full fledged post whore now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#31]
As usual HABU is right on top of things.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my little troll is all grown up........he is a full fledged post whore now.

I guess I need to do annother build, post a bit more, and actually show up at a shoot before my other one will drop....

I can live with being a troll for now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top