Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
How about a refugee wanting out of the city?

The Craigslist New Orleans page has a section in the upper left, in red, that hs areas you can list a post.

If you look on the right, you will see other area cities that are highlighted in red that also need help.

Good on you OdT.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that's awesome.  Are you suggesting relocating to WA or setting this up down south?  Let me know when you get it going and I'd like to help out some.  Most I can pledge right now is a care basket but who knows what tomorrow might bring [I should have been a song writer in the 60's! ]

Patty
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am most able to help someone if they are willing to relocate to here. I can create a job or two, and I have the means to provide temp housing.

Thanks for the offer on helping. I may let you know of a way to do that as I learn more.

Wow how about displaced mothers with kids and dogs? j/k I think its awesome what you're offering and I hope the family that takes you up is deserving.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
VERY Cool that you want to do that ODT.  Keep us up to date on how it's going and what you may need.

-Han Trolo
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If you find a family with girls, I should be able to come up with clothes from my daughters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
ODT,

I think it is a GREAT thing you are trying to do.  

I was thinking that lots of people want to do SOMETHING toward the effort.  My brothers went out with jars taking donations for the red cross at a popular stop laight by a mall, dodging from car to car.  They made like $1000 in a day toward the effort.  (It's all well regulated, in case anyone is getting any greedy ideas.  The stoplight area is a well-known fundraising area, you need permits, you need to reserve the space, and you need the non-profit organization's paperwork...)
   As a teacher (even here in NJ) I would LOVE to raise money for your sponsored family.  Maybe, do an art project with my kids about Katrina, set up a display and put up a jar for donations for your sponsored family?  I don't think I would get $1,000, they ARE only high school students, but it would instill them with pride that they did what they could, right?

Tell me if you would want me to do this.  If so, as soon as you get a family to sponsor, give me a bio, or pics.  In the mean time I would work on a student art project about Katrina.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a little reluctant about encouraging people to leave the area. They're going to need a lot of man power down there, and it makes sense to pay the people who need the money and someplace to live. I would think that setting up temporary housing in the south would afford victims the best opportunity to get back on their feet.

Re-building New Orleans below sea-level is down right stupid. Filling in the fish-bowl and starting over will take a few decades, but at least it wouldn't be a death trap. Build it for a Cat Five and to hell with the enviornmentalists. They are the ones who demanded that the hurricane defenses have a minimal impact on the enviornment. Well, the enviornment seems to be in control of NOLA and that isn't so good for the residents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top