Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2005 12:47:40 AM EDT
Gentelman,  I have friend at work that recently had a event with local police and needs some advise on how to proceed.  Below is a personal account on what happend two days ago.    

I was traveling East on 108th street SW near white center and had noticed an unoccupied green marked sherrif motorcycle parked at an intersection facing South towards the street which I was traveling on. As I approached the intersection I noticed the officer attending to an SUV located about 5 feet directly behind the motorcycle. The officer had thier back facing towards the street of which I was traveling on. As I approached the intersection I observed the officer turn around looking toward my vehicle. I then observed the officer run about 4 steps towards the motorcyle. I then observed the officer secure what appeared to be a notebook in hand in a compartment of the motorcyle. I then observed the officer mount the motorcycle and made two attempts to start the motorcyle with hands on the handle bars using the electronic ignition. By this time I had passed the intersection and looking in my rear view mirror I noticed the officer turn left onto the street I was traveling towards me. I was already traveling at slow rate of speed in anticipation of being pulled over due to the action of the officer. I was driving a 2003 Corvette Convertable and the officer made conversation about my car. Told me that i was traveling at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone. I informed the officer that I was unaware of driving that fast. Not one time did the officer use a radar gun on me. On my ticket the officer checked the box SMD. The officer never used a radar gun nor any other device that I could tell based upon my observation mentioned above.

As everyone else, upon seeing a vehicle  of the law natural instinct is to slow down. Not only did I slow down prior to reaching the intersection, but i was also traveling at slower speed upon passing the intersection in anticapation of being pulled over. I would like to take this matter to court do I have a case on my defense?  Also, the officer assigned my court in Kent. Should the officer had assigned my court in Burien which is much closer and about 10 min from White Center?

The officer also put my Race as being white, and though i have been confused with other races I have never been confused with being white. I also intend to have my race corrected with the court.

Any, suggestions regarding this would be helpful... Thanks

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Expect an IM from a fine upstanding member who knows a VERY good attorney.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 4:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Expect an IM from a fine upstanding member who knows a VERY good attorney.

IM all over it.

They put me down as a White guy on my last ticket. They put you down as a White guy to throw off the numbers on their racial profiling logs. Since I already had the ticket, I used it to have a little fun with Sparky. He wasnt impressed. "I see you are about as happy as I am you pulled me over".

Quoted:
I would like to take this matter to court do I have a case on my defense?  Also, the officer assigned my court in Kent. Should the officer had assigned my court in Burien which is much closer and about 10 min from White Center?

The officer also put my Race as being white, and though i have been confused with other races I have never been confused with being white. I also intend to have my race corrected with the court.

Any, suggestions regarding this would be helpful... Thanks

Kent court is off Pac Hwy down just north of Hwy 18. If you get a ticket in Renton it goes to Kent. Its Cunty Court South.

This ticket can go away, all it costs is money. As a professional, I log more miles in a year than some do in a lifetime. I get at least my share of tickets.

If you have yourself for a lawyer, you can bet on losing.

I almost hate to admit it, but in my numerous hours in a courtroom, I am the only one I have ever seen beat a ticket on my own. The only reason I was able to was from numerous appearances with very good professional counsel, and an officer who didnt know how to write the proper chapter and verse on the ticket.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 4:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean you guys aint white?

I thought it was just a really good tan.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They put me down as a White guy on my last ticket.

YOU AREN'T WHITE!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Do Police require a radar or Laser device to issue speeding tickets?

I have been nailed on a "rolling clock" before, where the Trooper paced me with his certified speedometer. As for a calibrated Mk I eyeball, ????? I would say my Vette' looks and sounds fast, but I was NOT speeding, he is mistaken, where is his proof? No laser, no radar, no calibrated speedometer, and you were not doing 100mph, I'll assume, so maybe you will get off.

**edit>>** As mentioned, I would get an attorney for the matter!
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Before you go to the expense of an attorney, I would call and find out when the ticket was filed.  If the officer did not file it with the court within (I believe) 48 hours, you can beat the ticket all by yourself.  I have a friend who's beaten a few tickets merely by showing up at court, quoting the statute, and advising the judge when the ticket was filed.  Guilty or not--case dismissed!
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Before you go to the expense of an attorney, I would call and find out when the ticket was filed.  If the officer did not file it with the court within (I believe) 48 hours, you can beat the ticket all by yourself.  I have a friend who's beaten a few tickets merely by showing up at court, quoting the statute, and advising the judge when the ticket was filed.  Guilty or not--case dismissed!

That is all good for your friend, but, I would never show up to court without representation.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That is all good for your friend, but, I would never show up to court without representation.

+1
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If the threadstarter is interested, this is what my friend said:

"first you need to check to see when the ticket was filed with the court. If the officer files it more then 48 working hours after the citation was issued, you can enter a motion to dismiss under violation of rule 2.2 d in the general rules of court."
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I beat a radar ticket in court....without a shyster.
The officer didn't provide proof that his radar gun was properly calibrated.....I was free to go, no fine, no nothing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to be a regular speeding ticket magnet. I also drove like a bat out of hell too.

Couple of points. Any error on the ticket is reasons for dismissal. Wrong race, wrong color car etc. Officier also has to indicate how speed was determined. Mk 2 eyeball should not fly with a court these days.

See CavVets IM. The hit on your insurance and now credit won't be worth it. Sounds like a bad ticket.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The answer to your question about requiring a radar gun or laser is:

It depends on the experience and number of speeding tickets the officer has written.

If you were ticketed unfairly, contest it with a lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Your friend spends a lot of time staring in his rear view mirror, the cop should have written him for negligent driving......
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Mk 2 eyeball should not fly with a court these days.

But, ohhhhh, the new Mk 3 eyeball is all that!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top