Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2005 11:56:35 AM EDT
www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_112005WABtacomamallJK.15720564.html

TACOMA - The Tacoma Mall was locked down Sunday after a report of shots fire, according to police.

There were no details immediately available, but numerous callers into KING 5 described the scene.

Mall employee Rebecca Lawson was outside the mall in the parking lot when the incident occurred and said a colleague told her that she had heard 10 shots fired in the area outside the food court.

Shopper Dick Waldo said he saw people running by and he ducked into a Hallmark store and had them pulled the cage closed.

Waldo described the scene inside the mall as “chaos.”

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard on the radio "a shooting".
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad boys bad boys, what'cha gonna do?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
why do they say was closed down Sunday...It just happened apparently...I was up at Marlene's on 38th and there were lots of police and ambulances and two other customers talking about someone shooting at the Mall
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
why do they say was closed down Sunday...It just happened apparently...I was up at Marlene's on 38th and there were lots of police and ambulances and two other customers talking about someone shooting at the Mall

Well, this *is* Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, this *is* Sunday.

My argument was with the past tense....but I guess that is because they don't want to edit it later
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just read in GD that 8 are dead
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm hearing that it was an AK and multiple shooters.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just read in GD that 8 are dead

Yeah his title says 8 dead, but the copy text says shot.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I just heard on NWCN that "it sounded like the shots were fired from a semi-automatic weapon" (emphasis theirs).

This, I suppose, is to distinguish it from a regular gun?  The emphasis they put on it made it sound like a "semi-automatic weapon" was somehow more menacing than a regular gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just heard on NWCN that "it sounded like the shots were fired from a semi-automatic weapon" (emphasis theirs).

This, I suppose, is to distinguish it from a regular gun?  The emphasis they put on it made it sound like a "semi-automatic weapon" was somehow more menacing than a regular gun.

They always do that...most people don't know what "semi-automatic" means
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, my roommate and I were laughing at the TV.  He suggested we call and say "the bullets sounded like they were really big, and probably moving pretty fast, too!"
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Five people HURT, not shot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Suspect inside Sam Goody with hostages.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Shots fired inside Tacoma mall

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TACOMA, Wash. -- Several people were hurt when shots were fired inside a shopping mall Sunday, and the mall was locked down as authorities searched for the shooter, a Tacoma Fire Department official said.

"We've transported five people from the area ... and we're standing by while police secure the building," fire Capt. Dan Crotty said. He did not have conditions on the victims.

Meanwhile, KING-TV reported that police had found what they described as a suspicious package and were telling people to move away from the area.

Fire official John Landoski said authorities got a call about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired inside the mall.

The mall was locked down with shoppers and store clerks still inside, and the shooter was also still believed to be inside, Landoski said.

State Patrol and police units from nearby agencies were clustered around an entrance at the Tacoma Mall's south end.

Additional details were not immediately available.

Betz Dejarnatt, who works at the JC Penny inside the mall, said she heard at least three shots fired.

"I thought, 'That sounds like a gun," Dejarnatt said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. She said some workers were herded into dressing rooms and offices, then police had them file outside to a parking lot.

At least five injured in shooting at Tacoma Mall

The Associated Press
Published: November 20th, 2005 02:05 PM

TACOMA, Wash. – At least five people were hurt after shots were fired inside a shopping mall Sunday, and the mall was locked down as police searched for the shooter, authorities said.
It wasn't immediately clear how serious the injuries were.

Tacoma Fire Department official John Landoski said authorities got a call about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired inside the mall. Five people were taken to hospitals with injuries, he said.

The mall was locked down with shoppers and store clerks still inside, and the shooter was also still believed to be inside, Landoski said.

State Patrol and police units from nearby agencies were clustered around an entrance at the south end of Tacoma Mall.

Betz Dejarnatt, who works at the J.C. Penney store inside, said she heard at three shots.

"I thought, that sounds like a gun," Dejarnatt told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. She said some workers were herded into dressing rooms and offices, then police had them filed outside to a parking lot.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dumbasses on KING interupt the race for that shit.

Now they are running a thing at the bottom of the screen full time...Like I give a shit.

People shot inside a mall, and you are upset because they are showing a scroll on the bottom of the screen?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
today?

Today.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#20]

That's brilliant
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's brilliant

What part don't you understand about why that is done?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Lock people inside a building with another person that is shooting people that are inside the building. Brilliant idea.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Eight people injured in shooting at Tacoma Mall

By Warren Cornwall

Seattle Times staff reporter

Shooting erupted at the Tacoma Mall today, with six people taken to area hospitals, one of them critically injured. Another two hurt people remained trapped inside the mall at 2 p.m., with emergency responders unable to reach them because the mall hadn't been declared secure, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.

The mall was evacuated and police descended on the scene shortly after a 12:13 p.m. call to 911.

Six people were transported to hospitals with what are believed to be gunshot wounds, said Fire Department Lt. David Elmer. Those people were carried out of the mall, where medics could then reach them, he said.

But he said at least two other injured people remain inside the mall. In one case, emergency responders are in phone contact with people trapped inside a store who are taking care of hurt person, he said.

"That one sounds like it might be pretty serious, especially as time goes by," Elmer said.

Emergency officials are recommending that people stay away from the mall.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Reason #47124 to always carry, when in public.24/7

FIXT!

I pack at home too.  I can't leave any ARs around (loaded or otherwise) because of 2 1/2 year old hands being into everything.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
You will love it more in a minute.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Lock people inside a building with another person that is shooting people that are inside the building. Brilliant idea.

I asked if there was something you didn't understand, and you have made it very clear that you don't.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#29]
it's gone internatanal

News down under

as a side note

local TNT
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Guess the shooter's name is Joe Hudson and is talking to AP

dame media
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#32]
suspect in custody...NWCN via Pierce Co. Sheriff     -- 3:52PM
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#33]
They interviewed some of  the people that were inside. One of the women said something to the effect of "my husband pushed our daughter down out of the way and pulled his personal firearm."

Kudos to that guy!!  

Let's see if her statement ever gets mentioned again in the main stream media...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Reason #47124 to always carry

god...no shit.  +1

-Rob
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked if there was something you didn't understand, and you have made it very clear that you don't.  

And you are doing a superb job at explaining it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Police haven't released the suspects name yet....they are still checking whether or not he bought ammo at Wal-Mart yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well please enlighten me then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#38]
you seal the building to prevent the perp from escaping.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]
CNN reporting that the nut used an " Assault Rifle " .  WA cease fire and Gregwhore are going to go nuts over this loser and his poser sks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
you seal the building to prevent the perp from escaping.

I know why they locked the building down. I just think it is a stupid idea to lock people inside a building with a person that is shooting people.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
CNN reporting that the nut used an " Assault Rifle " .  WA cease fire and Gregwhore are going to go nuts over this loser and his poser sks.

One witness says it was an AK-47 style rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Dumbasses on KING interupt the race for that shit.

Now they are running a thing at the bottom of the screen full time...Like I give a shit.

That's real big of you!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
They interviewed some of  the people that were inside. One of the women said something to the effect of "my husband pushed our daughter down out of the way and pulled his personal firearm."

Kudos to that guy!!  

Let's see if her statement ever gets mentioned again in the main stream media...

Heard that as well when watching NWCN.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Here in the Telemarket center, I made the comment to all of the gal's that I never go to the mall without packing a gun....

lots of nasty look's

I did get a couple of the gals that said they would like to know if I want to go shopping with them this holiday season...

It really is to bad that more citizens were not packing, and had a chance to maybe take this guy out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I bet the push for a WA AWB is coming full steam soon from the libtards in Olympia.  The time to start writing your legislators is NOW....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I am just curious ho much trouble one would get into if they shot this guy.  This situation kind of makes you think about how willing you would be to kill somebody if you were put into a position where you have a good chance to get away, but risk people getting hurt, or stay and kill the guy.  I would be afraid to pull my gun out and go after the guy,  not only because of the gunfight thing, but because of having to justify myself to the police after if was over if I was able to come out of the situation ahead (alive).
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I am just curious ho much trouble one would get into if they shot this guy.  This situation kind of makes you think about how willing you would be to kill somebody if you were put into a position where you have a good chance to get away, but risk people getting hurt, or stay and kill the guy.  I would be afraid to pull my gun out and go after the guy,  not only because of the gunfight thing, but because of having to justify myself to the police after if was over if I was able to come out of the situation ahead (alive).

I dont know about "going after him" but I pack to protect mine and my own...Now If I were in the mall myself and this was going on, I would have more than likely taken a shot if I had it.... Otherwise what the hell is the use if packing in the first place?. Not everyone got the chance to run out screaming like a girl.

If you are going to be scared of using your firearm, what is the use in packing it in the first place?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't fully understand the laws regarding self defense and in that situation if it is my responsability to defend myself and others from this guy, or if it is my responsability to "run out of the mall screaming like a little girl."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top