www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=437093
UW student council oppose memorial to alumni Pappy  Boyington

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Say what you will about UW but this attitude is just as prevalent in the community at large. Consider the people picked to represent western WA at the state and federal levels.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Say what you will about UW but this attitude is just as prevalent in the community at large. Consider the people picked to represent western WA at the state and federal levels.

Excellent point!

Agreed. Buncha self-absorbed moonbats. Not very nice people, really, unless you agree with everything they say.

You wanna find out what kind of person you are dealing with, disagree with them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I know college is supposed to be the time to get all liberal and whatnot, but fuckin' A.  They're so self-righteous they sound retarded.  I guess it's time to add UW students to The List.

For what it's worth, there is a memorial to the UW members of the Lincoln Brigade from the Spanish Civil War, right next to the student union building.  Before any big test, I used to go have a smoke there, and wish those fellows well.  I guess that memorial has survived 'cause those pudding-headed jag offs know fuck all about the Spanish Civil War.

Prissy, self-righteous, pole-smoking, motherfucking hippies.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Where can I find some purple and gold toilet paper?  

Trey

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Email sent.

Senator Jill Edwards:

"The University of Washington's student senate rejected a memorial for alumnus Gregory "Pappy" Boyington of "Black Sheep Squadron" fame amid concerns a military hero who shot down enemy planes was not the right kind of person to represent the school.

Student senator Jill Edwards, according to minutes of the student government's meeting last week, said she "didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

Ashley Miller, another senator, argued "many monuments at UW already commemorate rich white men."

Senate member Karl Smith amended the resolution to eliminate a clause that said Boyington "was credited with destroying 26 enemy aircraft, tying the record for most aircraft destroyed by a pilot in American Uniform," for which he was awarded the Navy Cross."

I'll never again wear Purple & Gold, I'll never attend another Husky game and you won't see another dime of my money.

Your racist disrespect of an American Hero, Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, shows just how naive, ignorant and intolerant today's students are. You are going to graduate from college as an intolerant, undereducated, unintelligent fool.

Gregory Donovan (former Husky supporter)

Everett, WA
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow...

If they think that about a Medal of Honor winner, I wonder what they really think about the rank and file serviceman/Servicewomen.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Holy moonbat,

These creatures must believe nothing is worth fighting for. It almost makes me wish they would be tested as the WWII generation was. The fear of losing the freedom to critisize their goverment would jerk 'em into line pretty quickly. Imagine not supporting troops who offer their lives to sustain their freedom?? This crap has gone too far. Time to withdraw any gov money they get.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
At least we're done w/ the 'We support our troops but not the war' charade.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Somebody seems to have forgotten that freedom comes with a price. And generally that price has to be payed in blood. Pappy wasn't a shining example of the hero but he was still a hero. All of those little poindexters would have problems spout their garbage if it weren't for folks like Greg Boyington, Rodger Young, Ross Gray, William Harrell, John Butts and Matt Urban. The Medal of Honor comes very easy in some cases. You just have to die to get it.

Here's Pappy's MOH citation:

BOYINGTON, GREGORY

Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Squadron 214. Place and date: Central Solomons area, from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Entered service at: Washington. Born: 4 December 1912, Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Other Navy award: Navy Cross. Citation: For extraordinary heroism and valiant devotion to duty as commanding officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Central Solomons area from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Consistently outnumbered throughout successive hazardous flights over heavily defended hostile territory, Maj. Boyington struck at the enemy with daring and courageous persistence, leading his squadron into combat with devastating results to Japanese shipping, shore installations, and aerial forces. Resolute in his efforts to inflict crippling damage on the enemy, Maj. Boyington led a formation of 24 fighters over Kahili on 17 October and, persistently circling the airdrome where 60 hostile aircraft were grounded, boldly challenged the Japanese to send up planes. Under his brilliant command, our fighters shot down 20 enemy craft in the ensuing action without the loss of a single ship. A superb airman and determined fighter against overwhelming odds, Maj. Boyington personally destroyed 26 of the many Japanese planes shot down by his squadron and, by his forceful leadership, developed the combat readiness in his command which was a distinctive factor in the Allied aerial achievements in this vitally strategic area.

Pappy wasn't anybodies idea of a great hero. He was a drunk and quite the manipulator. He did go out of his way to put himself in the thick of things though. He conned his way into the Flying Tigers and when they booted him, manipulated his way into the Marine Air Corps. He went to the extremes to take the fight to the Japanese, going so far as to making low passes on enemy runways to entive the Japanese to come up and fight. Which they often refused after seeing the VF-214 markings on his plane. He was a trouble maker, rabble rouser and the guy you wanted on your wing in battle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Somebody seems to have forgotten that freedom comes with a price. And generally that price has to be payed in blood. Pappy wasn't a shining example of the hero but he was still a hero. All of those little poindexters would have problems spout their garbage if it weren't for folks like Greg Boyington, Rodger Young, Ross Gray, William Harrell, John Butts and Matt Urban. The Medal of Honor comes very easy in some cases. You just have to die to get it.

<SNIP>
Pappy wasn't anybodies idea of a great hero. He was a drunk and quite the manipulator. He did go out of his way to put himself in the thick of things though. He conned his way into the Flying Tigers and when they booted him, manipulated his way into the Marine Air Corps. He went to the extremes to take the fight to the Japanese, going so far as to making low passes on enemy runways to entive the Japanese to come up and fight. Which they often refused after seeing the VF-214 markings on his plane. He was a trouble maker, rabble rouser and the guy you wanted on your wing in battle.

That controversy always surrounded Pappy, the willingness to fight, not just engage the enemy, but really pick a fight, and tear-ass after them, whole heartedly, no matter the odds, win or lose, and to HELL with what his orders were.
There's alot of that missing today from our armed forces, I'm sad to say. It's still there, but in a much diminished capacity, weakened by "kinder, gentler" BS, political correctness, and a shitload of other Hippy/liberal/Commie nonsense... I didn't fight WWII, but as a child I can recall many time listening to my Grandfather and his war buddies talk about "that crazy Sum'Bitch so-and-so" and "fightin' them Nips" in the Pacific. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, and his generation and breed as a whole had faaaar more sand than we do.

It's institutions like this that are openly, and secretly, bastions of breeding this "feel good, hug each" other crap that's removed the fangs and testes of young American males.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]

These creatures must believe nothing is worth fighting for. It almost makes me wish they would be tested as the WWII generation was.

If Casablanca was filmed today"
"Victor Laslow, you are a troublemaker for singing La Marseilles and making the Nazis insecure.  Don't you know you're only perpetuating the cycle of violence?"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a letter back from the President of the Student Senate.

In the end, the buck stops here, I would appreciate further comments to be made to me. Please do not participate or condone the hate-filled comments and phone calls made toward individuals in our student government. It has been appalling to see what is being said to people. Thank you for you statements.

Sincerely,

Lee Dunbar

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<SNIP>

That controversy always surrounded Pappy, the willingness to fight, not just engage the enemy, but really pick a fight, and tear-ass after them, whole heartedly, no matter the odds, win or lose, and to HELL with what his orders were.
There's alot of that missing today from our armed forces, I'm sad to say. It's still there, but in a much diminished capacity, weakened by "kinder, gentler" BS, political correctness, and a shitload of other Hippy/liberal/Commie nonsense... I didn't fight WWII, but as a child I can recall many time listening to my Grandfather and his war buddies talk about "that crazy Sum'Bitch so-and-so" and "fightin' them Nips" in the Pacific. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, and his generation and breed as a whole had faaaar more sand than we do.

It's institutions like this that are openly, and secretly, bastions of breeding this "feel good, hug each" other crap that's removed the fangs and testes of young American males.

Here's a great book on VF-214 , to say Pappy was a bit unusual is putting it mildly. Kicked out of the Marine Corps, Kicked out of the AVG (Flying Tigers), manipulated his war back into the Corps and then into a front line combat unit. Nothing crazy there.

Its pretty amazing that anyone who helped put down the entity that produced things like Pearl Harbor, the Bataan Death March, the Palawan massacre, beheading of POWs, etc. is know tagged as a murder by the Croquet League Rep of a large state University Student government. I wonder if she understands the blood price that was paid so she can be a silly little twit?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Got a letter back from the President of the Student Senate.

In the end, the buck stops here, I would appreciate further comments to be made to me. Please do not participate or condone the hate-filled comments and phone calls made toward individuals in our student government. It has been appalling to see what is being said to people. Thank you for you statements.

Sincerely,

Lee Dunbar

Looks like a form letter. Some one in the other thread got the same responce. "It has been appalling to see what is being said to people."  Hmmm...let's see his associate called my Dad and Uncles murders by association. Yep, email time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Those liberal sack lickers do not deserve the freedom that warriors like Pappy Boyington helped preserve for them. Granted this country has gone to hell in a hand basket but that wasn't Boyington's fault.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Feel free to email the following persons to let them know how much their comments are appreciated.

Ashley Miller:  [email protected]
Jill Edwards:     [email protected]

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
well sad to say but....

What did you expect?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#21]
It's interesting.   When I was in college some folks apeared to believe that this pseudo-liberal conflictual behavior/speech was a good demonstration of their "intellectual status".   Their ignorance was only surpassed by their arrogance.   Most of them were mediocre students, by the way.   More than 20 years passed and it is still the same.   Luckily they were minority.    However, we already know the damage minorities can do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I think they need to take a class trip to Pearl Harbor and then try to visualize what is like to wake up to the news that your country suffered a devestating unprovoked attack on its own soil, forever changing millions of americans lives and sense of safety forever.............Ohh wait, unless they' ve been in some time warp they were here for  the attacks on SEPTEMBER 11!  guess they don't have to try to visualize too much, there own generation also has been attacked, guess none of the brave men and women who have stepped up to the plate to defend the rest of us today deserve any respect or thanks either in their eyes.   none of us are perfect, but thats no reason to not give someone the respect and admiration they earned.        
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#23]

I think they need to take a class trip to Pearl Harbor and then try to visualize what is like to wake up to the news that your country suffered a devestating unprovoked attack on its own soil, forever changing millions of americans lives and sense of safety forever  

Better yet, bring them the P.I., China, Netherlands, Poland or any local VFW and speak to some of the victims that survived the terror that the war time Japanese and Nazi's wrought upon them.  Educate them why we have war and what it means to fight in a war, fighting to win.  Perhaps they will be enlightened to what losing WWII would have meant and the fantasy world they're living today is allowed due to the sacrifice of those before gave.  And that perpetuating this fantasyland to the point where you no longer believe those before are worthy of honor and respect, doom themselves to the whim of those who deal in tyranny.

And if they're still not sold, ship them to Liberia, Sudan, Congo or any other African nation where hell's chaos has been unleashed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
<SNIP>

VF-214 <SNIP>

Its pretty amazing that anyone who helped put down the entity that produced things like Pearl Harbor, the Bataan Death March, the Palawan massacre, beheading of POWs, etc. is know tagged as a murder by the Croquet League Rep of a large state University Student government. I wonder if she understands the blood price that was paid so she can be a silly little twit?

Thnaks for the book referrral, I need some more mind fodder.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
well sad to say but....

What did you expect?

+1

Just like certain a**hats are elected in certain regions, certain deserving people will not be commemorated in certain regions.  That is freedom too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I found this link on Orbusmax.

Linky

Jill Edwards Apologizes?

From the UW Student Senate meeting on 2/15/2006... a resolution has been submitted but so far no action. Anyone else predicting a "stifle free speech" argument coming from Ms. Edwards?

Edwards Apology

WHEREAS Student Senator Jill Edwards offended all members of the United States Marine Corps, past or present, dead or alive; especially those who were, are, or will be students at the University of Washington with her comment that she "didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce." This commented brought shame and dishonor to not only the UW Student Senate, but also the University as a whole, all its members who have served in the Marine Corps and all Marines past and present.

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE ASSOCIATED STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON:

THAT

Student Senator Jill Edwards will submit, in writing, a signed apology letter seeking forgiveness to all students, staff, and alumni who are now or ever have served in the United States Marine Corps. In said letter it will contain a formal apology and a recognition that her very rights and freedoms are guaranteed by such members of the armed services, to include the Marine Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, past or present, living or dead. Additionally, said letter will be printed in all its form and substance in that day's edition of the UW Daily newspaper as well as being recited on the UW Radio station. To realize her mistake, she must acquaint herself with the history of the person she is so keen to dismiss, by reading Col. Boyington's book, Baa, Baa, Black Sheep. All of these requirements are mandatory, under pain of losing her seat on the Student Senate.

And from The Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Thursday, February 16, 2006

UW students face barbs of free speech
Vote against honoring WWII vet stirs backlash

By CHRISTINE FREY
P-I REPORTER

UW students got a lesson in democracy, free speech and the burdens of both in the last week.

The student government of the University of Washington has come under attack from talk radio and the Internet after recently deciding not to support the creation of a campus memorial to alumnus and World War II veteran Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington.

Some students say they have received scores of angry e-mails and phone calls -- some from as far away as Texas, Georgia and New York. What drew the wrath were such comments from students questioning why the university should honor a person who killed others or honor a Marine. One student leader questioned why another rich white man should be honored on campus.

The students say their comments in last week's student senate meeting were taken out of context and that the minutes posted online -- and passed on through e-mails and blogs -- did not reflect the nature of the meeting.

The backlash has prompted at least one student to remove her personal contact information from the university's online directory. The students say they have been called racist and ignorant, threatened with beatings and urged to commit suicide.

"These comments have been really degrading," said UW student body President Lee Dunbar. "It's really gotten out of hand. ... I think a lot of it was seized on by a political opportunity to blow things out of context."

Andrew Everett, a UW senior and former Air Force weather forecaster, wanted to recognize UW alumni who had received the Medal of Honor and thought he would start with the most famous, Boyington, whose time as a pilot was portrayed in the TV series "Baa Baa Black Sheep."

He sponsored a resolution at the student senate meeting Feb. 7 to create a memorial for Boyington, who also was imprisoned in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.

Students debated the resolution, according to the minutes posted on the Internet. The resolution, which received support from 45 students, failed by one vote.

advertising
The next day, KVI morning radio talk-show host Kirby Wilbur broadcast the news based on an e-mail from a member of the UW College Republicans.

"Our phones were slammed for a full hour with our audience," producer Matt Haver said. "They were literally incensed with it."

It has since spread to the Internet with bloggers sharing their views.

One such post: "I'm angry about this ... how dare these snot nose, hemp-wearing, pot smoking, drum beating, dreadlock wearing, 'gee when is the financial aid check going to arrive,' brat kids diss Pappy Boyington?"

Two students whose comments have been much criticized said that the minutes posted on the Internet didn't accurately reflect what happened.

UW sophomore Jill Edwards, who in the minutes questioned if a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the type of person the UW would want to produce, said she did not mean to offend anyone with her comments, but instead was trying to start a discussion among students who might be afraid to question a World War II vet.

"Obviously he is a great man, and I'm very proud he's an alumnus," she said. "I don't want to feel like we're trying to impose an ideal of achievement on the UW."

UW senior Ashley Miller has also been derided for her comment, according to the minutes, that the university already has monuments that commemorate rich white men. She said her comments were made as part of a general discussion about memorials on campus, not about Boyington specifically.

Now, the UW student government plans to consider supporting the creation of a memorial that would honor all of the university's Medal of Honor winners.

At least three other men with ties to the UW have received the Medal of Honor, according to the UW alumni magazine.
P-I reporter Christine Frey can be reached at 206-448-8176 or [email protected].

Can ye smell it?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Can ye smell it?

Teen Spirit?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can ye smell it?

Teen Spirit?

These are typical UW tree-hugger hippy-types.  There is no Teen Spirit, Sure, Right Guard, etc.

It smells something like a cross between Elizabeth / Linden on the NJ Turnpike and the intersection of Route 88 & US 9.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
That's right, we're watching....deal with it, children.

The internet has taken everything into international headlines, just incredible.

Not everyday we drop a right wing nuke on the U Dub.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#30]
<Gunny>  OUTFUCKIN'STANDING! </Gunny>
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can ye smell it?

Teen Spirit?

These are typical UW tree-hugger hippy-types.  There is no Teen Spirit, Sure, Right Guard, etc.

It smells something like a cross between Elizabeth / Linden on the NJ Turnpike and the intersection of Route 88 & US 9.

Js buncha-numbers, have you ever been to "the loop"  It's this place (on US 9 in Linden/Rahway)where all the hookers stand outside in front of the hotels that rent their rooms in four hour increments.

Just in case ppl are starting to think us Jersians have no class....  The rooms all have jacuzzis.  

...  or at least, that is what I'VE HEARD.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Ashley Miller is a cracker.. what the fuck gives her the right to bitch about white privilege.. oh wait, shes white so she can bitch about it!

ETA: I just think its rather hypocritcal to sit there and bitch about non existant white privilege, especially when even if such a thing did exist, how the fuck would she know?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ashley Miller is a cracker.. what the fuck gives her the right to bitch about white privilege.. oh wait, shes white so she can bitch about it!

ETA: I just think its rather hypocritcal to sit there and bitch about non existant white privilege, especially when even if such a thing did exist, how the fuck would she know?

They throw statistics at these kids that really don't prove anything except people try to take care of their family, friends and college buddies.

And they call it racist.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Js buncha-numbers, have you ever been to "the loop"  It's this place (on US 9 in Linden/Rahway)where all the hookers stand outside in front of the hotels that rent their rooms in four hour increments.

Just in case ppl are starting to think us Jersians have no class....  The rooms all have jacuzzis.  

...  or at least, that is what I'VE HEARD.

Are the ceilings mirrored?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Perhaps she will propose that the student body try to rename the school "Martin Luther King Jr. University".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#36]
These kids are learning politics - sounds like they can already wheedle, dissemble and backpeddle with the best of them!

Obfuscatory hoohah aside, I'm pleased as punch that a formal apology is coming, as it was sorely needed.  Damn glad to hear Pappy is gonna get his memorial.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top