Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2004 10:59:54 AM EDT
Went up with my son a few days ago to find the entrance to my favorite spot guarded by a large iron three sided sign with no shooting posted all over it. Can we still drive back to the end of the first shooting spot or is this closed off now too? Guess I'll be making more trips to the Grasslands from now on!

And a little note of caution: Some of you may remember the kids a few years ago who were shot up at Lefthand. Well my son and I were shooting up there a few days ago when a young man came walking up the trail behind us. What alarmed me was he was carrying only a pistol in his hand. No targets, no range bag and no hearing protection! My son continued to fire as I turned to watch this guy nervously pop off rounds into the dirt in front of him then ring out his ears with his fingers (no ear plugs)! I continued to observe him as he fiddled around pacing nervously back and forth then after some more gang banger style shooting he turned and left. I don't know what his intentions were but if your shooting alone in a secluded area like Lefthand, keep on your toes! Maybe the sight of my SIG on my side and the fact that I never took my eyes off him deterred him from pulling off something.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I was up there, only the lower section was a no shooting area. Once you get past the turn for the dirt riders to go up the hill, the upper section was ok to shoot. I haven’t been up there for a few months, so things may have changed.

Regarding the shootings that took place,
Turned out that someone in a parks uniform/shirt walked up the trial/road and told the boys that they were in volition of something and demanded the firearms.  When he got them, he shot them with there own weapons.   My thoughts are if someone wants to fine me, then go ahead, just don't ask for my weapons or it will be the worst fire fight that they will never remember. Of all the times I have been up there and talked to the rangers, they have never asked to see any on my firearms. Plus, they always pull up in the department trucks and are packing themselves so you know that they are legit.

Ditto with the pistol on my hip at all times.
I strap a big ass SS wheel gun on and never take it off until its time to pack up and go home. Went up one weekend and you would have thought that it was a noobie shoot off.  Idiots where just spraying the shooting bank from all locations around the fire ring (real short season since they all lack the funds to buy more that a box of ammo for each of the weapons).  The only reason that I stayed was that I had way too much brass on the ground to police, and had to wait them out.  

The only time I go up there now is on the weekdays, or very, very early on a weekend.  By noon, the place is a zoo on the weekends. Plus, I don't live in Boulder anymore, so the real road trip is just to eat lunch at Deli zone, and stop at Bighorn trading to shoot the shit with the guys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
ummm, deli zone......

the breakfast sandwiches
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Now I'm confused.. which place is lefthand canyon? I'm thinking about the one right on the bend in the road with the dirt parking area, a metal gate that you walk around, and is paved with shotgun shells..

There's a  place with the motocross people before it.. am I thinking of something different?

Anyhow, where I go there's always some seedy types, and usually some decent types.. I'm usually pretty out of place; an asian guy with an AR15 isn't too typical.

Oh well, I'm still thankful to have a blasting area reasonably nearby; I think of it as my compensation for beng stuck in granolaville. T-2 years...
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Now I'm confused.. which place is lefthand canyon? I'm thinking about the one right on the bend in the road with the dirt parking area, a metal gate that you walk around, and is paved with shotgun shells..

There's a  place with the motocross people before it.. am I thinking of something different?

Anyhow, where I go there's always some seedy types, and usually some decent types.. I'm usually pretty out of place; an asian guy with an AR15 isn't too typical.

Oh well, I'm still thankful to have a blasting area reasonably nearby; I think of it as my compensation for beng stuck in granolaville. T-2 years...

Yes there is a turn off for the off roaders about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile before the shooting area.

Let me know if you would like to go to the grasslands sometime, you could meet me in Greeley and I could drive from there....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Regarding the shootings that took place,
Turned out that someone in a parks uniform/shirt walked up the trial/road and told the boys that they were in volition of something and demanded the firearms.  When he got them, he shot them with there own weapons.  

Thats right!  Now I remember the story!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top