Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 7:55:51 PM EDT
How are people doing? (Let me live vicariously.)
I don't have a tag this year so I just get to drive Elk this season.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot a 5x5 (all I could afford - Guide service) in Bijou Springs last weekend. I'll throw up pics later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
We will be in GMU 33 the 30-31 of this month, got an over the counter cow tag....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going for the first time.  Got Bull tag, and antlerless deer.
During the same time frame as thedave1164.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I'm going the 16th. Got a leftover Cow tag and a new rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.

On Thanksgiving weekend, I will be guiding some people in South Park.

I may also guide a kid with a elk tag for the super late New Year's hunt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am not a hunter but I do go out and spot them.

I was up in RNF a few nights ago with my 2 Million Candle power spotlight and spotted a REALLY big bull off of 63E near the Jacks Gulch (I think that's the name) area.

Oh yeah, btw way is it Legal to spot deer and other critters with a car spotlight in CO?

Just be real sure you don't have any firearms in your car.  If you get stopped, that could ruin your whole year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool, I just snagged a landowner's Elk Cow tag for the late Thanksgiving hunt in South Park, Unit 501. We hunt around 9000 feet and wait for the Elk to leave the private land in the park.
We like heavy winds and blowing snow to keep the Elk in the trees.

I hope the snow is good. One of my co-workers just went last weekend in nothern Colorado and no one in their group saw any Elk nor did they see any other camps with Elk.

Too warm, hopefully the snow and cold will come soon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cool, I just snagged a landowner's Elk Cow tag for the late Thanksgiving hunt.

I hope the snow is good. One of my co-workers just went last weekend in nothern Colorado and no one in their group saw any Elk nor did they see any other camps with Elk.

Too warm, hopefully the snow and cold will come soon.

We are going to be up top, around 10,500 feet.

I hope it cools down and drops some snow, just not a lot......
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, here's the pic of my 5x5. No PSing please. I aven't installed Photoshop on my new comp yet, so I can't resize it yet. So here is a link.

www.9578.net/marcus/uploaddir/PA020018.JPG

Caught him on a ridge, the herd was getting out of there, took him at 287 yards according to my Leica Rangefinder. 1 shot, 180 gr Barnes X out of a .300 Weatherby Magnum, took both lungs and the left ventricle of the heart. Went straight down.

Rifle is a Blaser R93 topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice bull!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice bull!

+1 congrats
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice bull!

+1 congrats

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the nice bull. I have another Cow tag this year.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I've spent the past two days looking for elk. We've seen two or three. One 5pt bull and a couple of cows. All hanging in 3 different camps. Haven't seen one on the hoof yet. And rather little sign too.

But midday today the weather changed and rained down low and snowed at ~9200'. We got off the mountain before we got snowed in. Don't think it got that bad, but we stay in town and drive up each morning. Only about 45min. - an hour. The skies have cleared up so it will be cold tonight. That should help tomorrow.

We'll see.

Very nice bull THellURider! Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Congrats on the nice bull. I have another Cow tag this year.

What, you complaining?

Cows are good eatin, and so are calves
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Getting an nice 5x5 or larger bull is a goal of mine. Since I don't live in a state where Elk roam free, it'll probably be an expensive goal.

I have read that Virginia is looking into introducing Elk to the hills in the western part of the state...........

The Elk is a majestic animal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice bull!  I always have my sights set on a 6x6, but have never taken one.  Those 5 points start to look pretty damn good after seeing spikes for 3 years!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've spent the past two days looking for elk. We've seen two or three. One 5pt bull and a couple of cows. All hanging in 3 different camps. Haven't seen one on the hoof yet. And rather little sign too.

But midday today the weather changed and rained down low and snowed at ~9200'. We got off the mountain before we got snowed in. Don't think it got that bad, but we stay in town and drive up each morning. Only about 45min. - an hour. The skies have cleared up so it will be cold tonight. That should help tomorrow.

We'll see.

Very nice bull THellURider! Congrats!

hey Bob,

you hunting GMU 33?

Did you get your cow yet?

How is it looking up there, weather wise?

dave
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
What a lucky guess. Yep - 33.

Weather turned to rain/snow Monday and Tuesday. We hunted all over the south end of Coulter Mesa and found the one bull, turned out to be a 6x, on the west/central end and two cows hanging along the north edge. That's it. We did a lot of walking and couldn't even find tracks. Ran into plenty of deer every day, though.

We tried the Triangle Park area too. Still no luck.

Tuesday we tried the south side of the Hogbacks above the Rifle golf course. Found some tracks a couple of days old or so, we think. They were fairly new despite the rain, but not made that morning. I did get a shot off at a coyote, though. I figure I shot over him by about 9" or so. He really flinched and I doubt he's quit running yet.

We've talked to several other hunters and it seems nobody is seeing elk. I guess the weather is suppose to remain rainy/snowy through next weekend.

The other guys had to go back to work today so we'll hit it again this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What a lucky guess. Yep - 33.

Weather turned to rain/snow Monday and Tuesday. We hunted all over the south end of Coulter Mesa and found the one bull, turned out to be a 6x, on the west/central end and two cows hanging along the north edge. That's it. We did a lot of walking and couldn't even find tracks. Ran into plenty of deer every day, though.

We tried the Triangle Park area too. Still no luck.

Tuesday we tried the south side of the Hogbacks above the Rifle golf course. Found some tracks a couple of days old or so, we think. They were fairly new despite the rain, but not made that morning. I did get a shot off at a coyote, though. I figure I shot over him by about 9" or so. He really flinched and I doubt he's quit running yet.

We've talked to several other hunters and it seems nobody is seeing elk. I guess the weather is suppose to remain rainy/snowy through next weekend.

The other guys had to go back to work today so we'll hit it again this weekend.

I will be heading out for GMU 33 this Friday, my hunt starts Saturday.

Would you mind keeping me posted on the conditions?

Did you bag one yet?

Thanks in advance

dave
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I feel sorry for you man.

It's been raining since Monday..or was it Tuesday. Snowing up higher. But I haven't heard how deep it might be.

I would expect lots of mud and snow. At the highest elevations the ground might have frozen before it snowed but don't count on it down lower. It's going to be messy.

We got discouraged and didn't bother going out yesterday and today. Might have been different if we had seen some animals or signs. But both are missing.

My ex's cousing got an elk near the CMC campus south of Glenwood Spgs the other day. The gal selling cell phone service at Wal-mart lives in Craig and sees elk along the road every night on the drive home. Her husband just totaled their pickup trying to miss a herd along the road. Two of my hunting pards live a couple of miles south of Ouray and come over here to hunt. They called Friday night and said they had a herd in their backyard.

My guess....they're down low already. If you've got access to the lower parts, read private property, you might have succuss. I don't know though. I haven't seen elk anywhere this fall.

Good luck man. You're going to need it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got back from GMU 4 out by Hayden (Elkhead Lake SWA). Had an antlerless deer tag but was surprised by the number of elk I saw running around, mostly bulls. I'm a newbie hunter so I couldn't tell you much more than that .

P.S. - got my first doe, too!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I went up to sight in my rifle in unit 501 South Park. I also did some scouting. Awful conditions, very little snow and didn't see any animals even on private land.

Hopefully the snow will be there by Thanksgiving for my hunt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The reason you guys aren't seeing any elk is because they're all at my house, eating what's left of my garden, shrubs, and aspens. You could kill one from my deck- with a cement block... we have a couple hundred that wander around here most of the fall and winter. Major pain in the ass- bugling, whining from the young ones, and scratching themselves on the corner of the house in the middle of the night.  I live about half way up North Turkey Creek, where Morrison, Evergreen, and Conifer all kind of intersect. No, I don't hunt, either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the update B Bob.

We will see how it all pans out.

I wish you had better news

thanks,

dave
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The reason you guys aren't seeing any elk is because they're all at my house, eating what's left of my garden, shrubs, and aspens. You could kill one from my deck- with a cement block... we have a couple hundred that wander around here most of the fall and winter. Major pain in the ass- bugling, whining from the young ones, and scratching themselves on the corner of the house in the middle of the night.  I live about half way up North Turkey Creek, where Morrison, Evergreen, and Conifer all kind of intersect. No, I don't hunt, either.

Mind if I come up for the weekend?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

thanks,

dave

I do too Dave.

I see if I can find out what happened to them this week. Try to get it posted here and I'll IM you if I find out before the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks,

dave

I do too Dave.

I see if I can find out what happened to them this week. Try to get it posted here and I'll IM you if I find out before the weekend.

Again thanks a bunch, I will be checking the site until about 10:30AM Friday, then its off to the mountains.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Dave,

The best I've been able to find out is...good luck.

Actually, it seems the people who hunted the eastern part of area 33 at least saw some heards.

My friend talked to a kid that got a bull up by Meadow Lake. And a girl I used to work with said her husband camped out up East Elk Creek and saw some animals. But it snowed about 6"-8" Wed. on them. She says there must be a foot or so of snow on top now. And the local weather reports tell of a new storm coming in tonight. Rain and snow tonight and Friday.

He finally got his cow on some BLM land north of Silt (Silt Mesa) at the southern foot of the Hogbacks. She lives on Silt Mesa and said there are still some elk on that land. But you know elk. That doesn't mean they'll be there tomorrow or the next day.

If you have a map showing BLM/private/Nat'l Forest land you'll find the area north of Silt. Take Seventh Street north and follow it until you get there. It should be muddy.

I'm guessing with the snow on top the elk will be moving down. You might do well to hunt what BLM land you can find on either side of the Hogbacks.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks BB,

Will keep everybody posted.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It's all Bush's fault

Went up top north of New Castle, and we didn't see any sign of an elk, anywhere....

B Bob, you nailed it, we saw deer galore, but not even an old elk track.

It was cold, and the snow was waist high.

But I was warm in my mil-surp wool pants, wool blend thermals and wool socks. The other guys were miserable at times in their hi tech modern gore-tex and thinsulate gear.

Had a good time and a nice warm fire.

dave
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad you had a good time anyways Dave. That's mostly what huntings all about.

The work begins when you kill something. Especially a big ole elk.
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got back a couple of days ago. Son and I got a Doe each! This was our first big game hunt. Didn't see any Elk except maybe a couple hanging in some camps.
Already have my mind on next year!

Link Posted: 11/5/2004 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#37]
There are hunting seasons up till January, if you are going to hike, just wear some hunter orange.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, if in doubt wear orange. A hat and at least a cheap vest. And forget the camo orange stuff. It's not approved for hunting for a reason. You really can't see it at much distance. Use solid orange like hunters wear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top