Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2007 12:58:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
ARin,

Go here Desert Sportsman's Rifle and Pistol Club and click on Active Disciplines. There you will find the disciplines (including IDPA) and the all of the requirements for the events they hold/sponsor.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The meets at DS are pretty laid back as far as equipment rules go..  I'd suggest going out and watching one before you buy anything.  People out there are real helpful and will point you in the right direction..

John P..

Link Posted: 2/13/2007 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd try it out once, to see how it's like.  Then, get an email list going of your friendly neighborhood NVHTF guys to do their own IDPA on the side.  I used to shoot it at DS alot, but I got tired of waiting in between stages. When you have 30-40 shooters, you spend alot of time waiting and not shooting.  I remember showing up at 7 am, and finishing up after 1pm.

I believe the IDPA courses of fire are available online.

Many of us have lots of target stands, someone must have a shot timer. We can get 5-10 guys together and get some good trigger time in, and still have the rest of the day to do other stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I moved to Nevada I shot IDPA. I have not seen an IDPA club up here(Reno).
It is fun but a little to slow paced for me. I like shooting IPSC a lot more. Once you shoot IPSC you'll see what I mean about IDPA being slow paced.
Both styles are great though for teaching you to shoot better under preasure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
ARin,
The BC 3 gun meets are the second Saturday of every month at 0900 in the winter and 2100 in the summer for night shoots.  It is $10 to shoot and I have seen anywhere form 10-40 guys competing.  the guys are right, it is all sorts of laid back, but safety is paramount!  Great group of guys to shoot with.  I would describe it as IDPA lite.  No classifications, (production, open, etc) just going out to shoot and have a good time!  Hope to see you and anyone else interested out there next month!
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I am jealous. I can't find IDPA in Northern Nevada.

I was an avid shooter in Wisconsin before I moved out here.

Its something that I really miss
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...get an email list going of your friendly neighborhood NVHTF guys to do their own IDPA on the side.

I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone have a timer?
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
anyone have a timer?

Yup, but you know how we hate mornings.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Many of us have lots of target stands, someone must have a shot timer. We can get 5-10 guys together and get some good trigger time in, and still have the rest of the day to do other stuff.  

I would absolutely be in for this, the reason I don't go the the DS shoots are because I don't have time to sit there all day. Maybe you can make a new thread here with a call for a group to get together to shoot?
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, since we don't have an IDPA organization up here, why don't we just make one?

I'm sure there's a dozen Northie Arfcommers that'd be down with that sickness.

Someone (other than me, I mean) should get the ball rolling and make it happen.

I'd love to get into tactical shootery or three-gun. The guys at the skeet club in Carson drive me batshit insane. Not only are they Fudds, but they're fuckin' PREPPIE FUDDs. Holy shit, guys. You haven't lived until you see assholes in pastel polo shirts and khaki shooting vests look down their noses at you because you're in your ACUs or Chocolate Chips and boonie hat, getting in some range time.

Supposedly, there's some Damonte Ranch (Uh, Sagehill Gun Club, I think) Club, they have a big orange sign outside of my work, I'm simultaneously intrigued and cautious. Cautiously Intrigued.

Man, who am I kidding, I'd never want to be a member of a club that'd have me as a member anyway.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask, and you shall receive. Started an Interest thread for southern Nevadans (and any No.Nevadans that want to make the trip):

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=258714&page=1
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot IDPA twice at DS.  I had never done any type of organized shooting, so it was different and fun.  But, yes, we did a lot of waiting for others to shoot, other stages to end so you can move to the next stage, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top