Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2008 5:30:03 PM EDT
AMMUNITION BAN BILLS ON THE MOVE IN ILLINOIS GENERAL ASSEMBLY

A pair of ammunition ban bills are up for hearing in the House Executive Committee this week. If enacted, either of these bills would effectively ban the purchase of ammunition in Illinois. The bills in question are HB 4269 sponsored by Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago), and HB 4349 sponsored by Rep. Naomi Jakobsson (D-Champaign).

Here is what passage of either of these bills would mean to you:
1. Ammunition manufacturers would be required to imprint a secret code on cartridge casings so that the purchaser of the ammunition could be identified.

2. When you purchase ammunition, that secret code would be registered to your name.

3. All your ammunition purchases would be registered with the Illinois State Police.

4. You would be responsible for all eternity for ammunition registered to you.

5. It would be in your best interest to destroy all expended ammunition casings because an unaccounted for empty casing could be used to frame you for a crime you did not commit.

6. You would have to surrender all unregistered ammunition you now own to the Illinois State Police.

7. Reloading would be banned.

8. The Illinois Department of Revenue would be authorized to place a tax on ammunition and raise that tax any time for any reason.

9. Taxes and increased manufacturing costs would raise the price of a box of .45 ammo to $200 or more.

10. Gun ownership would become too costly for most people.

WHAT YOU MUST DO TO HELP SAVE YOUR GUN RIGHTS:

1. Call Rep. Monique Davis’ office at (217) 782-0010 and POLITELY tell the person that answers that you are a law-abiding gun owner and you would oppose Rep. Davis’ attempt to ban ammunition.

2. Call Rep. Naomi Jakobsson’s offce at (217) 558-1009 and POLITELY tell the person that answers that you are a law-abiding gun owner and you would oppose Rep. Jakobsson’s attempt to ban ammunition.

3. Call each of the following members of the House Executive Committee and POLITELY tell whoever answers the phone that you OPPOSE HB4269 and HB4349 and that you would like them to vote against those bills in the Executive Committee. Remember, you represent the gun owners of this state, so BE POLITE:

Rep. Dan Burke  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-1117
Rep Joseph Lyons  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-8400
Rep. Dan Brady  (R-Bloomington)  (217) 782-1118
Rep. Eddie Acevedo  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-2855
Rep. Maria Antonia Berrios  (D-Chicago)  (217) 558-1032
Rep. Bob Biggins  (R-Elmhurst)  (217) 782-6578
Rep Michael Bradley  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-8117
Rep. Brent Hassert  (R-Romeoville)  (217) 782-4179
Rep. Jim Meyer  (R-Naperville)  (217) 782-8028
Rep. Robert Molaro  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-5280
Rep. Bob Rita  (D-Crestwood)  (217) 558-1000
Rep. Angelo Saviano  (R-River Grove)  (217) 782-3374
Rep. Arthur Turner  (D-Chicago)  (217) 782-8116

4. Please pass this alert along to all your gun-owning friends and ask them to make calls as well.

5. Please post this alert to any and all Internet bulletin boards to which you may belong.

Link Posted: 2/13/2008 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What else you can do to help your gun rights is to go to IGOLD March 11.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
This bill was dead before it took it's first breath. I'm not saying don't make the calls, but this bill has less than no chance of passing and will be dead soon.

Further ETA: This bill hurts our downstate "Sportsmen" friends whom......

A. Have convinced themselves it is downstaters that have kept Chicago anti-gun bills from passing, which is not true. They have helped but it is overwhelmingly people from, North of I-80 that have kept it at bay

B. Hurts all our "bolt gun" friends downstate who don't understand why their neighbor needs an AK47 and votes Democrat for a farm handout  because Pa did and because Democrats support your Second Amendment right to hunt deer.

It Ain't going nowhere. Rod Blowjobbitch would have to close his Spartan shooting complex for people with shotguns.

Further more.....The Illinois State Police needs to be encouraged to do what they are intended to do instead of continuously throwing them job-corp projects nannying and policing law abiding citizens of this State with projects like registering ammo. If they have too much time on their hands, perhaps they should take some classes at a community college on how to solve murder investigations.

Build a fence Mexican border style around the ghettos and let the Guard roll through the neigborhoods where the problems are always created by the same poor misunderstood people. Your violence problem would stop. Hold people accountable, cut off welfare and force people to grow up and evolve and you violence problem will stop.

Link Posted: 2/13/2008 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread lists who is behind this backdoor gun control legislation, and legislation in states they are going after. Detailed information may be found on page 4 of the thread, including 'sample legislation' written by a lobbyist which can be compared with the laws they are trying to pass in YOUR state. Let your reps know you do not want DC lobbyists writing your state laws!

ILLINOIS - MORE THAN JUST ONE BILL!!!:

www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4258&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=34701&SessionID=51

www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4259&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=34703&SessionID=51

www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4269&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=34734&SessionID=51

www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4349&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=34853&SessionID=51

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation/2007/IL%20SB%201095.pdf <<< download and leave link cold

Compare their bills to this 'sample legislation' written by the lobbyist

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation/Ammo%20Accountability%20-%20Sample%20Legislation.pdf   < download and leave link cold
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Just hit the whole list.  Had to leave a few messages.

Rep. Biggins answered and said he was on our side.  Most staffers said they received a lot of calls on this.  Rep. Brady's Secretary said it wasn't likely he would support these bills.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
So someone steals 5 of my cartridges, I don't notice, kills someone and I go to prison for life.  

There is so much bad about this legislation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Stupidest thing I ever heard of. Literally !
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like there is some big money behind this. I believe I read something like this happening in Tennessea also. I wouldn't doubt if Law Makers are being given "gratuities" to introduce, support and pass these bills.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You go to a range and fail to pick up all used  brass casings.

OR

Someone digs thru a dirt berm at a public range and retrieves fired bullets. Or an unscrupulous employee at a private shooting range with empties out the bullet trap. He pockets the fired rounds.

They go and commit murder .  Say they want to dump a wife going thru a nasty divorce.

They seed crime scene with your casings .........

Then you got some splaini'n to do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, I don't think this thing is dead yet.  Once again we are being held hostage by a select few from the Northeast corner of the state.  Make the calls and lets get this thing stopped.  It passed in California and is up in Arizona, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  It is gaining support nationwide.  If we don't act, we may be in trouble.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I don't think this thing is dead yet.  Once again we are being held hostage by a select few from the Northeast corner of the state.  Make the calls and lets get this thing stopped.  It passed in California and is up in Arizona, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  It is gaining support nationwide.  If we don't act, we may be in trouble.  

Well its alittle different than California. There they have micro-stamping here they are trying to make bullets have a serial number and basically you'll buy ammo like you buy a gun. With California the gun stamps the bullet, which to me is the lesser of 2 evils as its a failed technology when it was first introduced. Here the ammo would go up IF any company would even bother selling ammo to Illinois anymore. Not sure if they would want to up-haul their entire production for a single state. I don't want either of these BS laws though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't agree with any of this crap !!!!  

If we do have to compromise, which I don't want to do......I believe they could just settle for having the breach face on the slide of the firearm microstamped with the serial number.  Problem solved.  If the brass was fired out of your firearm, the head of the brass would have the serial number readable under a microscope.  Too much big brother if you ask me, but it would be better than paying a huge amount of money for a box of ammunition.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
No comprimiseing.

If this was to go through just would add another reason to go to knob creek twice a year to buy ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Something I guess I don't understand, is with something like this bill, not only for Illinois, but any state that is considering it, WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO RELOAD? WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO SHOOT BLACK POWDER?

When will they quit grasping at straws?

What is anyone else's opinion in regards to the new law that goes into effect June 1st,2008, SB 0940? So much for HIPPA.
Not to mention, what if you just need to talk some things out, have been a little down lately and go in to see a therapist, who just happens to be ANTI-GUN, and you don't know it. Not to mention you're wearing a NRA hat or a another hat or t-shirt that links you to shooting or guns.
In talking to this person you mention you've been a little stressed at work and bummed about being passed over for a promotion several times. When asked how that makes you feel, you honestly say it's depressing and it at times angers me.

So instead of writing that down, the therapist, being anti-gun, now knowing if they use certain keywords can possibly prevent you from getting or owning guns, writes down gets angered easily and has  violent tendencies and at times becomes extremely depressed?

This may seem far fetched, but people do purposely screw people over these days. It would be up to that person to prove otherwise. But, in the mean time they could lose every firearm they have. And we all know from what happened to those in New Orleans, even if you do get them back, they can be so messed up it isn't worth anything.

So what does anyone else think of this? I'm all for keeping firearms out of the hands of those that have serious problems. But who made up this list of keywords or what ever it is they'll look for in our what was once suppose to be confidential records? What's to say even though it looks all well and good, that some won't misuse this new law to intentionally screw people out of their firearms? We all know just how ethical people can be these days. I mean our politicians are only truly thinking of "our" best interest right? NOT!

So what's everyones input????
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Realistically, wouldn't manufactures just refuse to do this and there would be no ammunition in Illinois?
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I think that is the point. They have not been able to take away our 2nd amendment rights so they will just outlaw the ammo for them. Basically you will have a fancy club to swing around.I just hope if this happens that the ammo manufactures will do the same thing Barret did to a Cali police swat team when they sent their rifle(I think it was a 50 cal) in for repairs. He just sent it back to them as is and said they should practice what they preach. Something along those lines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top