Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
We have a bending jig coming from Quarterbore shortly. I don't know if it wll be this week or next. We can only keep the jig for two weeks so the date for the build will be set on short notice.
Also, anyone needing parts can contact Midwest Armory, tell them you are a member of the OK Build Team, and he will give a discount. I didn't work out any prices but you can contact him and see what he will do. Prices seem to be going up and down (mostly up!) on US compliant parts lately so pricing may be a hit or miss situation.
I also highly recommend DPH Arms. Both of these guys give good discounts and prompt shipping!
You can't go wrong ordering from either of them.
Dan
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for all your work so far, Dan.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Please, please please not the weekend of June 11-12!  That's Sniperquest!  I already bought my kit and everything.  How am I going to figure out how to build an AK without yall's vast collective wisdom?  Have mercy! [sobs like a little girl]

Dave
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean, in the entire month of June there are only 3 days that I am not available, June 4, and June 10-11.  That's the first 2 Saturdays in June, so hopefully this won't fall on one of those Saturdays!  

All my "stuff" is due to be delivered Thursday 5-19.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is unavoidable that the party be scheduled for June 11-12,  would me paying for an extra rental fee on the jig buy us enough time that it could be rescheduled for a date when I could participate?  I really want to do this pretty bad.....but not by myself! [/beg]

Dave
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks like we may receive Quarterbore's bending  jig sometime next week! That is about all the update I can give you at this time!
Dan
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the update Dan!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
We got another bending jig to use! I had to beg and plead, down on my knees to one of the members here!
No, I am just kidding about the begging part! He is a good man and volunteered to let us use it!
So with two bending jigs and two presses we may be able to get a lot of receivers folded.
We are still working on the spot welder. I had to order a 12" copper rod to make another electrode to get inside of the receivers. I should receive it by at least Monday. Then we will have to do a little grinding and shaping on the rod to get it to work!
More sitreps in the future as the stuff comes in!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
IS this is just going to be a bend party?

Or are we goning to do some construction work too?

What's the word?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]
D, if a bunch of guys show up with flats, it is gonna be busy as hell just doing the bending, welding in rails, and tempering the axis holes.  What I plan on doing for some of the guys who have not built one, is to take a kit that is prepped and ready to be assembled and do it  that day so they will have an idea of what it takes to finish one. There will be different levels of preparation by each guy coming. Some won't have the rivets or barrels removed from the trunion, etc.
Bending the receivers seems to be the best way to get most of these guys going. We might have to have a SECOND assembly party.
Our primary concern is getting the flats bent and receivers ready to go for everybody.
Secondary concern is making sure everyone knows how to do build one, what tools and materials it takes to do it, and where to get it done!

We have limited time and limited resources and material tand it will be nigh onto impossible o get an AK built for everybody that comes. So we'll do the best we can and get everybody as far along as possible. We ain't gonna leave anybody hanging that shows up. Whatever it takes to help them complete their build, we will do. Either by advice, loaning of tools, etc. but at a later time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
that sounds great.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Ordered a 12" copper rod and some rivets from McMasters/Carr and got them today. They shipped the wrong damn thing - 8 ft of .020 spring steel, the rivets, and NO copper rod! Called them and they will ship it tomorrow. Gotta have it to make the welder work! This Build Party is gonna run close to the wire!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my goodies from Scott at DPH yesterday, so I'm ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Received Quarterbore's jig yesterday. Found it behind some bush at my front door this morning.
I have yet to get the set up done for the welding but hopefully by the end of the week.
We may have to do this on Memorial Day, Monday after next. Or wait till the first Saturday in June. I will have to put the jig back in the mail by at least two weeks from this coming Monday.
Any problems with Memorial Day, May 30? Or Saturday of June 4?
Dan
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Both 5/30 and 6/4 will work for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Memorial Day weekend no problem, June 4th I will be in Claremore all day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]
as long as its in the daytime, anyday will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
memorial day will work for me, May 30th
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Still no copper rod for the welding electrode!!!
Monday, Memorial Day, seems to be a family time for a lot of people. So if the welding electrode is taken care of in the next day or two, we may shoot for this Sunday! I'd like to get it done as soon as possible so I can get Quarterbore's jig on the road to the next person!
I'll set the date by Wednesday of this week! So leave this Sunday open if possible! And if the electrode is not here soon, we'll do it on Sunday, June 4th.
My home is up in North OKC, not far from Lake Hefner for anybody that is wondering where it will take place.
Dan
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Sunday is fine for me!

My order from DPH was short a trigger kit, Scott tells me it's on the way!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
We may not get much past bending flats and welding in rails. It takes quite a bit to fit the front trunion into the flat from what I have seen with mine so far. Getting the flats bent and ready for assembly is going to be the first priority!
And if I don't get that damn copper rod to make the electrode, we are screwed as far as welding in the rails!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
All I need are the flats bent. I can weld in the rails myself. But it would be cool to get them spot weled in the correct way
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not gonna be able to make this one Momma has got me out of town memorial day weekend, And the following weekend i gotta client that i promised to available for.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be bringing the HCPookie bolt cutter rivet squeezer and a bag of rivets!

And I'll be bringing 2 flats with me. One for me and one for my old man. He doesn't have a kit yet but at least he'll have the receiver for one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'll be bringing the HCPookie bolt cutter rivot squeezer and a bag of rivets!

I'm sending my "loaner set" rivet squeezers to my bro -

Here is the info about the rivet squeezer:

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

DanC, fitting the trunion to the receiver really isn't too bad.  The Tapco flats line up correctly with the Bulgarian trunions and "OK" compared to the Romy kits I have.  THe spot welder can be employed to weld a mis-aligned hole for re-drilling.  Really not as bad as it sounds.  Rail placement is mentioned on my site too - not terribly difficult but needs to be done correctly.

RT is building a '74 kit  :D

Does anyone have the trigger guard rivet jig?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been spending a lot of time on Pookie's AK pages lately, there is a lot of information there!

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/ak.htm
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a trigger jig from CW Toyota. I also bought several hundred rivets -5/32 by 1/4" that can be used on the trunions and triggers. The one flat I bent looks like it will take quite a bit of metal removal on the top rails to fit the Romy trunion I have.
We have several guys bringing more than 1 flat to bend. We may have two jigs set up if I can  borrow another press.
As far as rivet squeezers, I am sure we will have more than two pair now.
But our first priority is getting as many flats bent and rails installed as possible.
We could install the trigger guards pretty easily as well!
We will see how far along we can get everybody!
HC Pookie, you sure caused a lot of people to build AKs! Ya da man!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
this sunday DAYTIME  right? Can we get some specifics? I'd like to get started early
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
what day has been decided on and where? address and such?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#29]
If I don't get the electrode delivered and welder set up, all we will do is bend flats and not FINISH them. What I want to do is get everyone's flats bent, welded, set up  to build on.
I'll post the time this afternoon. If the electrode isn't delivered, it will be the weekend after next.
Quaterbore said he would work with us in keeping the bending jig a little longer. He is a good man as is HC Pookie!
I'd like to get it done ASAP - this Sunday - but it may not work out!
I will let everyone know my address and time via email.
Dan
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I was planning on being in OKC saturday night anyways, so I would be down with doing some bending sunday morning. I don't care if you don't have the welder ready, it would be nice, but I can weld them in myself, I just need the flats bent. I hope we can do something this Sunday, I don't have much spare time, but this sunday is one of my rare free moments.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I am free on May 28, 29, 30th, or Sunday June 5.

During the month of June there are only 3 days when it would be impossible for me to attend, June 4, 10, and 11, since I am retired every other date during the month of June is wide open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top