Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 2/8/2008 1:47:46 PM EDT
Knob Creek Gun Range, 690 Ritchey Lane, Westpoint, KY 40177

March 29th - All are Welcome
Range opens at 9:00 AM
Range fees are $10.00
Camping is $10.00 per person for the entire weekend.

Donations are accepted for the tannerite and the two cars that we are blowing up. Please see Ky_Bob to make a donation

The bridge is out of the water!!

StonerStudent went by and saw that it was clear of the bridge.

Thank you StonerStudent.

Please call the range before making the drive to Westpoint to ensure the range is open and not flooded, burned down, earthquake, famine, pestilence, whatever.

The number is 502-922-4457

(Please check into this thread so I can get an idea of head count)

Guys,
It is the 29th of March, I know everyone can't make it and if you specifically mentioned that you cannot make it on the 29th, PLEASE do not take it as a personal thing. I am only looking into getting the most of us back as originally planned.

I talked to Kenny this morning and the water will clear the bridge by this afternoon. For future reference, if the lower river flood stage on the McAlpine Dam is 47 feet or higher, his bridge is covered over. He told me that as slow as it was coming up that he did not think it would get too high until around noon on Friday a customer told him that the boards on the bridge were floating! Now, why would you drive across a bridge that the boards were floating I don't know, but there you go. What a mess. Kenny added that he thought he would be back open tomorrow. I drove by the range earlier this morning and there were vehicles on either side of the bridge and they appeared to be working on it.

I would like to thank Coheeba for making multiple trips to the range, getting the cars, dropping them off, and now, going back to give the keys to Kenny. Kenny is moving them off the highway tomorrow for us. So the cars will be secured.

Special thanks to KnobcreekerAR for offering to help move the cars and also store them until the shoot! He is a great guy and can't wait to meet him.

I would like to thank the following people for their most generous donations to the Tannerite/car fund.

Chronium76
HillBilly69
Stump
Turbozag

***UPDATE***

www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lmk&gage=mlpk2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6&type=0

This is the link to the McAlpine locks lower gauge. The bridge is even with the water around 47'. As you can see the bridge was completely submerged at the crest on Friday. However, if it continues to trend the way it is. It will be down before Friday. Then the question becomes, will the bridge be passable. I will stay on this, of course and keep everyone informed. I am confident at this time that we are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
March 22 is no good for me, due to this, if anyone wants to attend.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=236595

I could make one of the other dates and bring down some Full Auto Toys for all to shoot.

M16's G36's UMP45, MP5's, etc

Scott

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
march is full of family birthdays,   im not sure yet..

4, 9th, 29,  30,  only ones i remember currently

middle of march would be good for me, the 15
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
March 22 is no good for me, due to this, if anyone wants to attend.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=236595

I could make one of the other dates and bring down some Full Auto Toys for all to shoot.

M16's G36's UMP45, MP5's, etc

Scott

Scott,
That looks like fun! I would love to go but two shoots in one month would make it difficult for me.

I am already getting a lot of resistance on the March 22nd because it is the day before Easter so I am pretty sure it is out.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The 15th sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
March 8th is no good for me (homeshow). Rest of March is OK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
March 15th is the Indy 1500 gun show, that will knock out some of us from the Hoosier state.

I thank all the local people involved with putting this together but I can't believe someone local didn't know this earlier.  If the creek is up now, it's been up since it rained Tuesday night.  I had my whole weekend planned around this since it was scheduled 6 weeks ago.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
What a drag!

Talk about last minute...

Bob, just keep my donation for next time!

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be attending if I'm not still in Florida. I'll be going down there around the 8th of March and staying for four or five days though, so I might not be back in time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
March 15th is the Indy 1500 gun show, that will knock out some of us from the Hoosier state.

I thank all the local people involved with putting this together but I can't believe someone local didn't know this earlier.  If the creek is up now, it's been up since it rained Tuesday night.   I had my whole weekend planned around this since it was scheduled 6 weeks ago.  

Whatever.
I am THE local guy who organized it. I talked to Kenny on Wednesday and we were a go. However, he never called after that to say he was flooded out. You want to throw some blame around, blame him. The only reason we found out at all was because Coheeba called to arrange the delivery of the cars we were going to shoot up.

You think you have it bad? ILAK had a metric ton of food he had prepared to feed us and now it all goes to waste unless he can freeze it.  I talked to several different guys tonight from Ohio that I stopped from coming that were literally hours from jumping on the highway, trucks all packed and ready to go.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to let everyone know so late about the shoot, but I was in the process of delivering the cars to be sacrificed and the gate was locked @ 3:00 in the afternoon.

I call Kenny and was given the bad news.  I just hope everybody gets the word.  Because if I had shown up bright and early in the morning I would have been pissed.

I left the cars on the side of the road outside Knob Creek.  They wouldn't even come open the gate for me to get them in.

I love Knob Creek and everything they do, but if I hadn't taken those cars today I guess we would have all shown up tomorrow and been SOL.  That doesn't make me happy.  I just hope nobody drives a great distance to get there because they didn't get the word.

I'm in for whatever date you guys pick.  Maybe by then I can come up with even more stuff to shoot at.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Sucks!  Sucks! Sucks!  I just hope everyone checks the board before they leave out

Pick the date and I will be there.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What a drag!

Talk about last minute...

Bob, just keep my donation for next time!

Thanks man, what dates are good for you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Ky Bob, I appreciate everything you did to organize this event from the start.  I guess I'm really disappointed at the management at Knob Creek.  They knew we were coming and several were coming from out of state yet didn't have the courtesy to call and let you know.

The creek didn't come up today.  If the guy delivering the cars didn't find the gates locked today, at least four of us from Indiana would have driven two hours in the morning for nothing.  Several would have come farther.

I'm glad you could contact the folks from Ohio and get them stopped.

It doesn't look like there is much agreement on a date in March so pick what works for most and we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It doesn't look like there is much agreement on a date in March so pick what works for most and we'll see what happens.

I am going to give it a day or so for people to filter through and offer opinions then make a ruling. I also want to talk with Kenny before we nail anything down. ARFCOM shoots have brought him a ton of money over the last few years and we deserve better treatment than we received today.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to give it a day or so for people to filter through and offer opinions then make a ruling. I also want to talk with Kenny before we nail anything down. ARFCOM shoots have brought him a ton of money over the last few years and we deserve better treatment than we received today.

If you make a reservation for anything involving almost fifty people, you'd think the place taking the reservation might want to inform you that they are no longer able to accomodate you.  I'm glad I got a phone call tonight just before starting loading(thanks AW4Ever), but it would've been interesting to see what may have happened if we all showed up tomorrow.  Take the range by force!   Freedom!  John has a long moustache!  Wolverines!  And all that stuff.  

Piss poor customer service, and a lack of basic consideration by KCR.  
That's what a monopoly will do for you.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Gotta be the 15th or the 29th for me to make it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The earliest the better for me, I am pretty flexible on the weekends.

March 8th or the 15th would be fine.

I already have my mags loaded.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I was about two hours from leaving, but the next guy on the list was about to get on the freeway. I'm glad I was camping so I will not lose a hotel reservation. I guess weather happens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]
All those co-workers I invited arent gonna be happy when they show up to a locked gate tomorrow morning, I dont have their phone numbers either
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thank all the local people involved with putting this together but I can't believe someone local didn't know this earlier.  If the creek is up now, it's been up since it rained Tuesday night.   I had my whole weekend planned around this since it was scheduled 6 weeks ago.  

Whatever.
I am THE local guy who organized it. I talked to Kenny on Wednesday and we were a go. However, he never called after that to say he was flooded out. You want to throw some blame around, blame him.   snip

What's up with the "whatever"?  What in K12LTS's post made you come back with that rather snide remark?  

The bottom line is it is completely unacceptable that something that was this big of an event has ended up turning out like this.  Memory of the past couple days reminds me that the rain fell on Monday.  Fucking Monday.  I can see if this needed to be cancelled.  If the water is up, the water is up and there is nothing that anyone can do.  However, I cannot believe that we want to wait until this late to let everyone know.  It is ok when you are only dealing with local people that are a short drive away, but when you got guys that are actually having to plan for this type of thing way in advance and traveling many miles from neighboring states it becomes a bigger issue.  

There should have been some sort of open communication between KCR and whomever was in charge.  I know nothing about how the weather effects Knob Creek's range, but if I did and thought the rainfall was even possibly going to be an issue I would have been getting ahold of someone to find out what the status is.  Instead, we were all warned to "bring our boots" for the mud.  

I would bet money that there is still going to be a large amount of people showing up at the gates tomorrow wondering where everyone else is at.  Look at all the people that said they would be there....have you seen them posting on their computers on a Friday night in these follow-up threads?  This will probably get uglier before it gets better because there will be some seriously pissed off people tomorrow morning.

Link Posted: 2/8/2008 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank goodness someone called me today.  I would have checked online and saw the cancellation, but I was about 25 minutes from picking up my rental SUV for the trip when I got the call.  Had I not gotten the call, I'd be paying for the rental SUV for nothing.  

I think the end to all this is that who ever runs operations at KCR needs to exchange cell/home/work/2-way etc. numbers with Ky_bob and who ever else is helping ky_bob to make the meet happen.  Make it clear to KCR that if they expect any issues, that Ky_bob & friends need to be notfied right away so they can pass on the word to all of us.  

It was a mild kick to nuts for me, but I still can't sit back and say fuck knob creek.  They way that they didn't contact anybody was BS, but it's still a unique place and it's not like we have another facility that allows the same crazy activity where we can plan our next meet.  Even though the operations people seem to suck at communicating, and screwed up our weeked, I still appreciate that there is a place where such freedom  is allowed.

Sort of offtopic:

Who is this?

That is one cool setup.  Yugo 7.62, Russian or Bulgarian folder...  I like!  Good thinking to replace the underfolder with somthing more useful.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but KY_Bob should NOT be the target of aggression here. I don't see him everyday, but I have know him long enough to know that he is anything BUT a half ass when it comes to planning. He called me at work as soon as he knew what was going on (Which I would like to thank him for).

Guys, Bob has spent more than just a little time, money, and effort putting together some great shoots for us. He says that Kenny said all was good Wednesday. What more can we ask of him? I know that people are frustrated, I am too. Just please don't take it out on our "local" guy Bob. He's not making any money doing this. It's all for the group. Christ, at the last winter shoot, he had a small over run on the Tannerite money, What did he do? Drew numbers to give it back. (I think he should have kept it for the next shoot)

I would have liked to have known sooner, but I don't expect him to check in every day. This stuff happens sometimes.

I'd like to thank Bob for his efforts and for getting in touch with me long distance (On his dime, and I know it was not the only call) to let me know what was going on. My hat is off to him for his efforts.

So lets get a date for the next shoot and try again.
If the chili is ruined, I'll bring some venison and we can start the next batch Friday night before the shoot. My wife, bless her heart, can't bake a pie worth a crap so we're on our own with that.

Hoping to see everyone at the next one.

Pud
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I liked to say stuff does happen and sorry to the guys that have to travle so far and plan so much to do stuff like this. Also why blame a guy for tring to plan fun stuff like this. If anything I wish I would have drove by there to see. So I'll even take some blame. It's only a short drive for me. It didn't rain all that bad to even make me think they would be closing the range this long. I'm still going by today hopefully it might be down enoff that they end up opening. I hope atleast for the guys that might have already drove here or just don't know yet and are heading here.

Let's just forget it. There no way to control it. So lets be happy theres always another time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#28]
i don't see paying 10 bucks for admission next time (if i can make it) ,   if he cancled the day before....    thats the LEAST he can do  
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Yep it's flooded can't even get to the bridge. thought to let you all know
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't blame anyone on this board, I just think Knob Creek could have let someone know earlier.

I had no clue of what the weather had been like in Louisville.  I'm around 2 hours and 45 minutes from Knob Creek, but there had been no heavy rain here.  I guess I just never thought anything about it.

I love it that there are some members here that get these things together.  I read Coheeba's post on my way out the door to spend the night with my cousin in Lexington, so I would have a shorter drive Saturday morning.  I called him, he had took a sick day for Saturday too, but he'll get over it.

The guy I really feel bad about is the guy that made the chili and pies.  

Again, the 8th or 15th is good for me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2008 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Here is my post concerning all that has happened.

#1 The entire situation is Bull Shit. There will be people there in the morning ready to shoot. Do you think that everyone gets on the computer at night? The only reason that I am posting at 12:34 am is that my brother called me to tell me the shoot was cancelled.

#2 The creek didnt come up today.... You can not tell me that the creek rose just today. Bullshit. It rained 4 days ago.

#3 Many people including myself put in for vacation weeks ago. If we could have gotten notice more than 12 hours before the shoot we would be at our jobs making ammo money.

I am sorry folks but this is poor planning and poor managment of an event. Better planning should have been involved. When a man plans on loading 50K worth of guns and ammo up for a weekend he should be confident that at least he would have more than 12 hours notice of the event being cancelled.

March 16th sucks due to it being the weekend of the INDY 1500 which will leave most all coming from IN out. The INDY 1500 as well as numerous shooters' children will also be on Spring Break that month.

Damn Damn Damn

Feel free to plan the next one. I am sure it will be much better.

How am I supposed to contact people that I do not have their phone numbers? Since you are not standing at a locked gate, it looked like my efforts to get the word out were at least partially successful.

Link Posted: 2/9/2008 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever.
I am THE local guy who organized it. I talked to Kenny on Wednesday and we were a go. However, he never called after that to say he was flooded out. You want to throw some blame around, blame him.   snip

What's up with the "whatever"?  What in K12LTS's post made you come back with that rather snide remark?  

The bottom line is it is completely unacceptable that something that was this big of an event has ended up turning out like this.  Memory of the past couple days reminds me that the rain fell on Monday.  Fucking Monday.  I can see if this needed to be cancelled.  If the water is up, the water is up and there is nothing that anyone can do.  However, I cannot believe that we want to wait until this late to let everyone know.  It is ok when you are only dealing with local people that are a short drive away, but when you got guys that are actually having to plan for this type of thing way in advance and traveling many miles from neighboring states it becomes a bigger issue.  

There should have been some sort of open communication between KCR and whomever was in charge.  I know nothing about how the weather effects Knob Creek's range, but if I did and thought the rainfall was even possibly going to be an issue I would have been getting ahold of someone to find out what the status is.  Instead, we were all warned to "bring our boots" for the mud.  

I would bet money that there is still going to be a large amount of people showing up at the gates tomorrow wondering where everyone else is at.  Look at all the people that said they would be there....have you seen them posting on their computers on a Friday night in these follow-up threads?  This will probably get uglier before it gets better because there will be some seriously pissed off people tomorrow morning.

Read my post above.

I can assure you that I will not bother doing any of this again.

I love how all the out of state people are experts on our local weather. The water that comes to the creek and into the river not a mile away comes from all over and actually CAN take days to crest. It is a major tributary that dumps into the ohio river and when the river gets up the creek backs up.

Last time I checked the Ohio river gets water from a very wide area and, yes francis, after having lived here for 40 plus years, it does take days.

Link Posted: 2/9/2008 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Temporarily locked
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#36]
temp
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Temporary locked for cool down
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Reopening for discussion of the new SPRING SHOOT.    

NO MORE BITCHING ABOUT THE WINTER SHOOT ALLOWED HERE, AS NO ONE COULD HELP WHAT MOTHER NATURE DID ............LET'S MOVE ON TO THE NEXT DATE AND HAVE THAT GOOD TIME WE WERE ALL EXCITED ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It is looking like the 15th is the most common date. Lets give it another day or so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]
15th sounds good to me Bob!

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your effort! Let me know if I can ever be of help.

Link Posted: 2/9/2008 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]
The 15th is great for me!  We appreciate all you do Bob!
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It is looking like the 15th is the most common date. Lets give it another day or so.

Bob, I hope you got my IM earlier today

The 15th will not work for some because it is the same weekend as the Indy 1500 which a lot of people from up here will be going to.  If that is what works best for the masses, however, so be it and I will have to try and make it next time.  I've just been bummed out over this whole thing because I was looking forward to being able to take part in such an event with a good group of guys that are just as crazy about this stuff as I am
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
how many shoots do you guys have a year, do you have a summer shoot.  Can I attend, I have alot of cool toys.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
how many shoots do you guys have a year, do you have a summer shoot.  Can I attend, I have alot of cool toys.  

We generally have two a year, one in the summer and winter. The winter shoot came about when my good friends from Ohio lost their venue for their winter shoot.

Yes, you can attend, be sure and check the water levels of the Ohio River before you leave though!

I didn't think you could have "cool toys" in Illinois.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Bob,

I would also like to thank you for putting this whole thing together.  Our initial frustration Friday night was not toward you but should have been aimed at the management at Knob Creek.  They had known for some time that as many as 50 or more were coming for a special event and made no effort to inform anyone of a major change in conditions.

There is a group of four of us that had lots of toys packed and ready to go were really bummed about the last minute change.  With our schedules, it's almost impossible for all of us to arrange something but the planets had come into alignment and the weather gods were smiling.

Anyway, please continue with your rescheduling and I know it will be a great event.  If it makes any difference, the 8th may be the best date for us.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#47]
March 22nd or 29th would be my pick.  May have to go back and close on the other house though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#48]
The weekend of March 15-16 is the Garand/Highpower clinic and Garand match at Ft. Knox. The other 3 days are fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Bob,

I would also like to thank you for putting this whole thing together.  Our initial frustration Friday night was not toward you but should have been aimed at the management at Knob Creek.  They had known for some time that as many as 50 or more were coming for a special event and made no effort to inform anyone of a major change in conditions.

There is a group of four of us that had lots of toys packed and ready to go were really bummed about the last minute change.  With our schedules, it's almost impossible for all of us to arrange something but the planets had come into alignment and the weather gods were smiling.

Anyway, please continue with your rescheduling and I know it will be a great event.  If it makes any difference, the 8th may be the best date for us.

Thanks again.

Thank you. I hope it is as great as the last one promised to be.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#50]
when the first round flies next visit,  we will have completely forgotten about this fiasco  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top