Anyone a member?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I am.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am.

Have the membership policies changed at all?  I tried to join several months ago.  I had a sponsor and attended 2 meetings.  Both meetings did not have enough existing members present so did not count as "official" meetings and could not count as my 2 meetings required to join.  Needless to say I was discouraged.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a member. I love it. I went to the last meeting and the same thing happened to my friend who was trying to join. Not enough people. The say we need 36 to show up for voting. Keep at it. It's worth the wait.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a member. I love it. I went to the last meeting and the same thing happened to my friend who was trying to join. Not enough people. The say we need 36 to show up for voting. Keep at it. It's worth the wait.

Trust me, I am very interested in joining.  It is a great facility and only about 30 minutes from my house, but I don't have month after month to try the meeting roulette to try to get in.  One guy I talked to said he was on his 4th meeting and had only been to one that was "official".

Seems like they are really limiting the potential members with this policy.  I have a close friend that gave up trying to join a few years ago due to the same issue.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
They do need a quorum to conduct business.

I've been missing meetings because I'm in school, but should be able to start attending regularly next month.

Hang in there.  It's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, sorry,....... thought I saw Palmetto State Shooting Center and I jumped in.

Rolling sleeves back down, removing brass knuckles, walking away
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, you got tired of it too, eh?

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone a member?

IMO too expensive the fees are crazy, compiled with the fact they may be loosing the property and having to relocate. Id use the free ranges then just pay when you want to shoot an event there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone a member?

IMO too expensive the fees are crazy, compiled with the fact they may be loosing the property and having to relocate. Id use the free ranges then just pay when you want to shoot an event there.

That's how rumors get started.

The club is not losing the property.  There is a land swap being worked out that will result in the club having a bigger facility in an area that is not subject to encroachment by development.

Membership is $150/year (or $100 if you do two work days helping maintain the property).  Compared with a membership at an indoor range (like ATP), I wouldn't call it outrageous.  

There is an initiation fee, which is essentially buying into the equity of the club.  

I stopped going to the public ranges and became a member at PGC because of safety, quality of facilities, and it's a shorter drive.  Also, if I take my wife or daughter, there are indoor toilets.

To each his own...
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you got tired of it too, eh?

Dude,

That place left a pretty sour taste in my mouth by the time it was all said and done.  There are a couple of good folks who work there, but it is SO not worth the ass pain to go shoot there, or more importantly get any gunsmithing done there.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone a member?

The club is not losing the property.  There is a land swap being worked out that will result in the club having a bigger facility in an area that is not subject to encroachment by development.

Membership is $150/year (or $100 if you do two work days helping maintain the property).  Compared with a membership at an indoor range (like ATP), I wouldn't call it outrageous.  

There is an initiation fee, which is essentially buying into the equity of the club.  

I stopped going to the public ranges and became a member at PGC because of safety, quality of facilities, and it's a shorter drive.  Also, if I take my wife or daughter, there are indoor toilets.

To each his own...

Palmetto Gun Club
Membership Requirements

Continuous NRA Membership. Annual membership fee is 35.00. Membership in the NRA can be obtained through the Palmetto Gun Club.

Membership in Gun Owners of South Carolina. Renewal after the initial first year is optional and the annual membership fee is 15.00. Membership in the GOSC can be obtained through the Palmetto Gun Club.

Pay annual Club Fees and initial membership assessment of $500.00 (this assessment may be paid over a 5 year period).

550$ of the rip then monthly dues

march through september 150$ per month
october- dec 100$ per month
jan-feb 75$ per month

http://www.palmettogunclub.org/membership/requirements.html

Hell of alot of money if you ask me, especially when you can use the two free national forrest ranges and if you want to shoot an even there its open to non members just pay the event fee, and even if your a member you still have to pay the even fee.

PLus due to construction alot of member talk abot how there going to soon be victims of immenant doman or whatever you call it basically when the government says give me your land were devoloping heres the price we think its worth. To expensive and to risky for my. Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dude,

That place left a pretty sour taste in my mouth by the time it was all said and done.  There are a couple of good folks who work there, but it is SO not worth the ass pain to go shoot there, or more importantly get any gunsmithing done there.  

I joined that range shortly after they first opened and I was a member until early this year.  Things there just kept piling up until I couldn't take it and didn't renew my membership.
Now the vast majority of my shooting happens at matches and classes.  Hell, I've driven to Mission Essential in Savannah to shoot on more than one occasion when Palmetto State is 10-15 min away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Palmetto Gun Club
Membership Requirements

Continuous NRA Membership. Annual membership fee is 35.00. Membership in the NRA can be obtained through the Palmetto Gun Club.

I was already an NRA member.  I guess you're not.

Membership in Gun Owners of South Carolina. Renewal after the initial first year is optional and the annual membership fee is 15.00. Membership in the GOSC can be obtained through the Palmetto Gun Club.

15 bucks.  No biggy.  If you don't want to continue to be a member of GOSC, don't renew.

Pay annual Club Fees and initial membership assessment of $500.00 (this assessment may be paid over a 5 year period).

That's the initiation, buying into the equity of the club.  The club is owned by the members. IF for some reason the club had to dissolve, would it be fair for a guy who just joined to have equal standing with someone who has been there 20 years?

Did you see where the membership assessment can be spread over 5 years?  If you know how to budget, that's $8.33 a month.  You can spend that much on one lunch at Arby's.

jan-feb 75$ per month

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

YOU added the "per month" at the end of each of those rates.

That is the ANNUAL membership fee, prorated for a new member based on when they join.  Dues are due in March.  

Thus, March-Sep you pay a full $150 for the YEAR.

If someone joins Oct-Dec, they pay $100 to carry them through to next March.

If they join Jan-Feb, it's $75.

After that, it's $150/year.  If you do two workdays on the property you get $50 knocked off that.

Those prices are NOT per month.  They represent the ANNUAL dues.

Hell of alot of money if you ask me, especially when you can use the two free national forrest ranges and if you want to shoot an even there its open to non members just pay the event fee, and even if your a member you still have to pay the even fee.

PLus due to construction alot of member talk abot how there going to soon be victims of immenant doman or whatever you call it basically when the government says give me your land were devoloping heres the price we think its worth. To expensive and to risky for my. Just my opinion.

As I said, new club property farther up is in progress.  There is no eminent domain action.

It's easy to have an opinion.  It takes some effort to know what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone a member?

To each his own...

Palmetto Gun Club
Membership Requirements

jan-feb 75$ per month

Dude, would you please go crap in someone else's thread.  I did not start this thread to talk about whether joining palmetto was worth it or not, only to find other members and discuss membership requirements.  Now you are in here lying about the club's requirements and future land standing.  Please start your own thread if you want to, but leave the lies and speculation out of mine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Great facility with great members. I will confess that I've been a member over ten years and have never been to a meeting.

To me, the dues mean that my chances of getting shot in the ass by some drugged-up, drunken schmuck are virtually nil, and that's worth it. I have to admit that I am concerned that the land swap is going to put us deeper in the sticks, and it's already a decent trip for me to begin with.

All in all, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Top Top