BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2007 3:53:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the perp fall up some stairs on the way to the lockup?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
read about that on Metrotech today, Prayers sent and I also read they were needing blood donors, do you know what type they need.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, there are some sadly wacked out people in this world. I was pretty surprised by the convienence store shooting the other day too. That just not the kind of stuff my brain associates with Athens, GA. Best wishes and prayers to your fellow officer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
She's now on my prayer list, and I'll put a check in the mail tomorrow. I wish it could be bigger, but it's unfortunately the wrong time of year for me to have pockets full of $$$.

Here's our chance to help a HERO Georgia Gang. I'm betting we can make a difference if we all pray and give together. A little from each of us could mean a big difference!

If I send a get well card along with the donation would it likely get to her??? Or do you think it would be better to send it to her, care/of St. Mary's?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent.

Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Officer Gail is one of the best officers I have ever worked with.  Her work on one of my first cases was instrumental in the successful prosecution of a serial rapist in Athens.  She is also one of the most pleasant people to work with.  Make no mistake though; she is not a softy and what happened to her does not in any way reflect her ability as an officer.  It reflects the brutality and danger posed by the perpetrator.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I see no reason for a trial unless its an really quick one with a excecution waiting.  It kills me how people in cases like this aren't charged with attemted murder, but assualt.  The prosecutor has to show he meant to kill somebody when he stuck a knife in them.  The prosecurtors are actually lucky when the victom dies.  I pray this officer is out soon enough to enjoy Christmas with her family.  God bless her.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I see no reason for a trial unless its an really quick one with a excecution waiting.  It kills me how people in cases like this aren't charged with attemted murder, but assualt.  The prosecutor has to show he meant to kill somebody when he stuck a knife in them.  The prosecurtors are actually lucky when the victom dies.  I pray this officer is out soon enough to enjoy Christmas with her family.  God bless her.

What is attempted murder?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Removed
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Removed

Drat I bet I just missed something good!
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Removed

Drat I bet I just missed something good!

I started to follow up on your post, but then I decided that you said all that needed to be said.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Prayers on the way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
FWIW, the news reported that an officer tackled the suspect.  No one tackled the suspect.  We chased him and he turned around at which point he was sprayed with OC.  He dropped the knife and went to the ground where he was handcuffed.

Maybe it was wishful thinking?  Personally, I'm amazed anyone took the risk of trying OC when he had a knife out and had already used it on one officer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure hope the officer gets through this o.k.  Too bad somebody decided to use OC rather than some 180gr. hp ammo, center mass!  Wonder what the cost to society will now be?   When I first saw that the attack happened in Athens, I just assumed that the perp was a drunk frat boy.....NOT!
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's because you have the potential to get more time with Agg. Assault/Battery than Criminal Attempt of Murder as well as it being easier to prosecute.

Read the code section for Agg. Assault, I'd say it fits a little more properly than going for Criminal Attempt to commit Murder.

16-5-21.  Aggravated assault

(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:

(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;

(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;

(c) A person who knowingly commits the offense of aggravated assault upon a peace officer while the peace officer is engaged in, or on account of the performance of, his or her official duties shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years.

Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Heard about this at roll call last night. You never know what these nutty homeless people are going to do when you approach them. He'll probably get off lightly with an insanity plea (well he would if it was Fulton Co).
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Heard about this at roll call last night. You never know what these nutty homeless people are going to do when you approach them. He'll probably get off lightly with an insanity plea (well he would if it was Fulton Co).

Of course.  No room in the jail, the victim was white, and why would they reduce the main political base? (I haven't lived in Fulton County since I was in college, and wish I could stay out of it now, at least the parts I usually go to aren't under the control of the Fulton County Commission or City of Atlanta).  
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because you have the potential to get more time with Agg. Assault/Battery than Criminal Attempt of Murder as well as it being easier to prosecute.

Read the code section for Agg. Assault, I'd say it fits a little more properly than going for Criminal Attempt to commit Murder.

16-5-21.  Aggravated assault

(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:

(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;

(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;

(c) A person who knowingly commits the offense of aggravated assault upon a peace officer while the peace officer is engaged in, or on account of the performance of, his or her official duties shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years.

Thanks for the info.  I think the sentences are too light myself, but thats just my opinion.  Its obvious to me that if somebody sinks a knife into somebody's chest that they intended to kill them but in our courts you have to prove  it.  Even if you do kill somebody, big deal if it was in a fit of rage.  My buddies dad is dead because a girl he knew came to his house high on crack, she asked him for cash, he said no so she killed him (shot him) and left.  She confessed to all of it.  The DA told my buddy that if she does good time she'd be out in 10 years, I guess thats good to know if you ever want to kill somebody. That happened in Ohio about 16 years ago.  Pisses me off that the sentences are that light.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Easy way to look at it. Murder is aggravated assault with one more piece of evidence, a dead body. Conversely Aggravated Assault is murder incomplete.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Prayers sent.  Please update us on her condition.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Prayers are sent from all Creekside Firing Range staff. If we can do anything just give us a call.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Has a link to this been posted in GD or TEAM so we can get all of ARFCOM in on this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the heads-up on going to any Suntrust! I had been lazy and had not put a check in the mail yet. When I saw that I could go to my local Suntrust I locked the door on the shop and walked the 2 blocks to make the deposit. They knew exactly what I wanted to do, and how to do it. They took my money, deposited it into her account, and gave me a receipt, in less than 5 minutes. It was SO easy!!!!!

Stop at your local Suntrust guys and deposit as much as you can!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kyle, you guys did right.  You were the bigger people for it too.

Anything else the family needs right now other than prayers and financial aid?

Mark

The financial aid is the part that they will need the most in the long run.  Sgt. Gale has enough leave to get her through until about April.  Some of the guys at work have been helping the family at Sgt. Gales house in terms of building a wheelchair ramp and taking care of all the animals.

Kroger is helping alot with the hotel expenses and providing food for the family.  It doesn't seem like that she will be eligible for any work comp claims through the county since she wasn't on the county's payroll at the time(eventhough she was in uniform).

I am considering doing a raffle for an AR or other firearm in her honor, and all proceeds will go to her fund or assist the family in some manner.

IM sent. I have this to add if you decide to do this
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
If I may also, I have a NIB A.R.M.S. #40 A2 rear flip up sight that's never even been mounted that I bought for $95. Anyone that wants it, make me an offer of at least what I payed and I will Match it.

You buy it for $100, the officer's family gets $200.

Looks like this.

ARMS #40
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have a gently used EOTech 551 that I will sell for the cause.  It is in great shape and works well.  I have the box and the large thumb screw for it.

I will give 100% of the money to her family.  If you pay $300, she gets $300 and you get an optic.

Who wants it? ...and how much will you pay?

$300 is too cheap.

$400, let me know where to send the $
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#38]
cross posted on another local forum:
offcamber4wd.org/forum/index.php?topic=5283.0
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]
To all my local Georgia HT members,

I normally don't get to involved in the threads that go on here on the board, until now.

It makes me very proud to see the amount of effort that has gone into raising money for Sgt. Gale. This is a very selfless act, and I honor all of you. If you haven't made a donation yet, please consider doing so. I know we are all strapped for cash this time of year, but there is someone out there that needs our help more than you need a new toy. I ask that every one prayerfully consider making a contribution for Sgt. Gale.

My prayers go out to Sgt. Gale, her family, and all of the members of Athens- Clarke County.

Bookhound, with your permission I will spearhead a separate Raffle thread if there is any interest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Awesome job. If you need any help with this please let me know. I sent this out to one of the neighborhoods I work a part time in, they made a sizable contribution. I'll be making a deposit in the bank on Monday.

Outstanding job here Georgia Gang!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bookhound, with your permission I will spearhead a separate Raffle thread if there is any interest.

Already done.

Link
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yes, everyone keeps saying that we should have killed the guy.  

I'm not saying that. Revenge has no place with people we place our trust in. You not only did what was right, but you have the right attitude. Almost gives me hope in the system. I told you I wanted to shake the hero's hand, it was because of what you did, and wouldn't have been offered under other circumstances. In my line of thinking even if killing another person is absolutely necessary it is none the less a waste. Your actions saved a life, had it been someone else there may have been more blood shed needlessly.

You are a credit to the uniform. You are a Law Enforcement Officer with restraint and pride. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Prayer on the way.

ARH
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#47]
heartbreaking. my prayers are with her and her family.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#48]
How is she doing? Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top