Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 5:01:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience w/ comps was on IPSC 9x21 race guns.  And by the time I maxed out as an 'A' Class shooter the comps were getting pretty weird...5 vertical ports on the barrel w/ a muzzle comp w/ 5 progressively angled ports and 2 big side ports.  The muzzle rise was about nill.  On my P9, 9x21 pushing 115gr @1550~1600fps the dot would stay in the upper A zone on double taps.  On a good day it would be one ragged hole.

And Book these were FREAKING LOUD!!!!!  When we shot indoors it would be plugs & muffs.  Outside they were tolerable w/ either plugs or muffs.  

On our low light shoots you noticed a gap of no flash between the port & flash.  In this gap was were you could easily track your dot.

As a carry gun or HD w/ a comp I'm not a big fan.  Like you said to LOUD.  As for the flash from the shooters view if its quality HD/LEO ammo, flash will be a minimum to begin with.

7mm
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I can not comment on the LE/mil use of comps. But I could certainly see where the side blast from a good comp would obscure the vision/hearing of somebody standing beside you. There is an awful lot of blast directed to each side.

On the other side the recoil of a std flash hider is more pronounced...BUT somebody that trains a lot with a std FH can do some very VERY quick double taps.

For SHTF or home defence....yea I am gonna use a comp or a can (because thats what I have the most of). Face it, you fire off a rnd in your house with either a FH or a comp its gonna be loud enough to damage your hearing for good no matter what it is.

I can only imagine what a good comp on a 11.5" barrel would be like

Maybe Joe would let us do some low light & night shooting on the range some time to test these brakes/comps for flash suppression.

I have a miniDV camera so we can tape the results.

I say roll with what you train with........(for non LE/MIL use).
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I only have one gun with a comp- my .500 S&W.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I only have one gun with a comp- my .500 S&W.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
So, what is my AK brake considered as?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]

I hate brakes.  Too loud, lots of concussion, and little benefit IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I use flash suppressors on all of my rifles except for the DC Vortex Cali-Comp on my MK14 SEI Mod 1.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hate brakes.  Too loud, lots of concussion, and "little benefit " IMHO.

Not being an ass, but what do you have to back that up?

OK Book, we all know your a grumpy opinionated old fart
Whats your take on them????
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#11]
So how well does the Miculek comp work..I am thinking of getting one.It will be for tac-matches and 3 -gun.Right now I just have the birdcage.

I don't care how much noise it makes, but does it help that much on follow up shots?

Thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, what is my AK brake considered as?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Silly, loud, annoying piece of $#!^.  

You need to quit bad mouthing Kalashnikovs  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one, tried it for a while, did not notice any huge difference in recoil reduction (really how low recoil can you make an AR anyway, there barely is any).  Took it off and now either have the can or regular A2 on there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#17]
a .223 recoils?  I always figured a comp was for a 7mm mag, hand load 150grain at 3000+fps....thats some recoil that needs reducin
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate brakes.  Too loud, lots of concussion, and "little benefit " IMHO.

Not being an ass, but what do you have to back that up?

I have tried various different brakes on various rifles in similar configurations (or exactly similar rigs in some cases) and I simply cannot tell the difference or there is so little difference it is not worth the extra noise IMHO.

Anyway, someone asked me my opinion and I gave it.

OK Book, we all know your a grumpy opinionated old fart
Whats your take on them????

Oh sure...book can have an opinion.  Hey book, can I have some of your opinion? there's something wrong with mine!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
I've just not found them useful for my needs.

Mark

What are your needs?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've just not found them useful for my needs.

Mark

What are your needs?

U really wana know that....it prob involves stippers and dodge ball

My .2cents I think they are great for a competition, but in a dark hallway of a house id rather have my can
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I use comps/brakes quite a bit. Very few of my SHTF guns have them, and the ones that do are there for a specific reason. Yes, they work. Yes, I can tell the difference doing double taps and multiple targets even with an AR. No, I don't want the added noise if I need the gun, with no hearing protection.

Shooting anything without hearing protection is LOUD, a comp/brake makes that noise worse, for the shooter, and worse yet for his "friend" to the side of him. I can't tell much difference in flash.

As far as the Miculek brake, I have three, 2) .223 and 1) .308 They work very well. Bookhound, you have shot my 16 with the "kitty-kat" and the 10.25" both with Miculek brake. HK says it rattles his dental work. I like to think of it as "sharing the experience."
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'll offer up my thoughts in depth when I get back from the 3-gun match this weekend.

USSA-1

Yeah.....me too. We are out here in Missouri using our comps.......in competition.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
buzzworm,

I still have not recovered from your kid getting me to shoot that damn shotgun!  What was it a 10 ga?    Hope you and family are well.  Good to see you on here.  Take care.

Mark

You know SuperWayne?

Well, I'll be damned!

Wayne is a heck of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
buzzworm,

I still have not recovered from your kid getting me to shoot that damn shotgun!  What was it a 10 ga?    Hope you and family are well.  Good to see you on here.  Take care.

Mark

You know SuperWayne?

Well, I'll be damned!

Oh yea, we go back a ways. Just ask him about shooting that 10ga 3.5" mag with slugs. Oh yea, 18" barrel single shot! Can you say RECOIL?

I wonder about a guy that sells cans, and asks about how noisey brakes are.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
buzzworm,

Mark

You know SuperWayne?

Well, I'll be damned!

Oh yea, we go back a ways. Just ask him about shooting that 10ga 3.5" mag with slugs. Oh yea, 18" barrel single shot! Can you say RECOIL?

I wonder about a guy that sells cans, and asks about how noisey brakes are.

Brakes/Comps are fairly standard equipment at the match. Hell, I'm going to hunt deer with my match rifle this year.

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#31]
OK.....heres my take on comps and brakes and yes there is a slight difference. Both are still loud as hell. Comps use port walls to redirect gas for recoil control and muzzle rise. The Barrett brake on the 50 is more of a comp than a brake although it is called a muzzle brake. Brakes use expansion chambers and drilled ports to help dissipate pressure behind the bullet before it leaves the muzzle still trying to obtain the same results of a comp with less efficiency. Not quite as effective as a comp.

Ok.....now on to purpose. I'll start with muzzle brakes for tactical operations and really the only place I see a need for them. Think long range engagements and sniper rifles. Many times fast follow up shots are needed. Comps bring that advantage to the table. Say your an LE sniper with a semi auto type of precision rifle set up on a roof top 100 yards from a hostage situation and you have two targets that need to be eliminated. The comp could bring that advantage to the table minimizing  recoil and muzzle rise allowing the threats to remain in view through the optic. Same goes for the 50 BMG. There is a reason 50's have them. They are necessary. Ultimately a can/suppressor would be ideal but the muzzle brakes/comps offer an advantage for fast reengagement of the threat by the shooter. OK......scenario- Military sniper is in his hide 1200 meters away. He fires his 50 at target#1. By the time target#2 hears the noise,bullet number 2 for said second enemy is already on the way. Bottom line it offers faster reengagement times. Speed and being fast have always seemed like a good tactic to me. Yes brakes are horrendously noisy......but sometimes the benefit is outweighed by the noise.

OK......now CQB.....I can't really think of a situation where the noise of a brake outweighs its benefit. I would use a can. Basically a large muzzle brake with the added benefit of flash hiding capability. However I do like the new comps that Surefire and AAC are selling for attachment points of their suppressors. Thats a good way to get the best of both worlds and the Surefire comps are very effective as stand alone units.

Another product that works very well for its intended purpose is the Dave Neth tactical compensator. He has a competition version and a tactical version. The tactical version is designed to bring the competition edge to the tactical world. It works quite well. I really like mine. While limiting flash just slightly above that of the A2 flash hider its compensator design allows very fast follow up shots. Thats a good design to get the best of both. while still noisy.......no where near as noisy as a straight comp.

I only run comps on my competition rifles and long range rifles. If its going to be any CQB or home defense its gonna be a can for me. The can on my HD rifle in my home coupled with an electronic set of amplified hearing protection offers me an advantage over anyone setting foot in my house. I keep a set of Peltors wrapped around the butt stock of my HD rifle. If I hear a bumb in the night and need to go to my gun. I put the ears on and grab my rifle and pants. I can hear what the BG is doing 20x better with electronic ears while at the same time protecting my hearing. A little tip I learned from VSP a few years ago.

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#33]
The match kinda sucked for me. I had a death jamb on a stage and it put me out of the running. I had a blown primer get stuck in the locking lugs. I was able to finish the stage but it wasn't fun and it cost me 60-70 extra seconds which was pretty unrecoverable for me. Erik finished well.......5th. Rob Romero got 3rd and Joe Satterfield got 12th. I ended up 23rd. We all got good prizes though. First time in a match my equipment has let me down. Erik was having a few issues with his rifle too. Something in the air up there
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ammo you were using?

More than likely. I reload my competition ammo. Could have been a weak primer pocket. More than likely a piece of FC brass that I missed when culling brass. I try to cull any FC brass. My precision ammo is always loaded in Winchster brass. I try to use all LC for my hoser ammo but sometimes other stuff slips through my fingers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The match kinda sucked for me. I had a death jamb on a stage and it put me out of the running. I had a blown primer get stuck in the locking lugs. I was able to finish the stage but it wasn't fun and it cost me 60-70 extra seconds which was pretty unrecoverable for me. Erik finished well.......5th. Rob Romero got 3rd and Joe Satterfield got 12th. I ended up 23rd. We all got good prizes though. First time in a match my equipment has let me down. Erik was having a few issues with his rifle too. Something in the air up there[/quot

I saw some of the pics posted in GD...what was the stage u had to use the 60 on the roof of the truck
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#37]
That was a an M249 SAW. It was stage 5. That was the stage I had the jamb on.
After that......my match went downhill fast.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I hate brakes.  Too loud, lots of concussion, and little benefit IMHO.

I have brakes on my guns because of a broken neck some 15 years ago. My AR's and handguns have a brake to reduce or eliminate felt recoil, some motorcycles with give about the same DB reading as my brake. I didn't hear any bicthing about them. So don't be such crybabies.

Mike

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I only run comps on my competition rifles and long range rifles. If its going to be any CQB or home defense its gonna be a can for me. The can on my HD rifle in my home coupled with an electronic set of amplified hearing protection offers me an advantage over anyone setting foot in my house. I keep a set of Peltors wrapped around the butt stock of my HD rifle. If I hear a bumb in the night and need to go to my gun. I put the ears on and grab my rifle and pants. I can hear what the BG is doing 20x better with electronic ears while at the same time protecting my hearing. A little tip I learned from VSP a few years ago.

Good idea!  I hadn't heard that one before.  Unfortunately I don't think it would work for me if the siren on my alarm was going off.  I guess I would just have to try it out.

Got a link to the thread in GD of the match??
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#41]
 I didn't read the entire thread but for me I like my comp. Both rifles I run in 3gun have SAW custom's comps. Yeah they are loud and so on but the gun holds on target. It's all prospective, preference, and need. I shoot for fun and yes it's a game to me for the most part, but my home defense rifle has a phantom flash suppressor so you can have it all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top