Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 9:29:13 PM EDT
Practical Rifle is this Saturday.....

So, I was thinking of meeting up for breakfast again......'cause I'm fat and I need to stay bulked up...

Hale's seemed to go over well with everyone last month so I'll offer that up again, unless someone has a better idea. 7am worked out fine also, was plenty of time to eat and make it to the range in time.

Who's up for it?

Hale's Restaurant, 17884 Se McLoughlin Blvd. Milwaukie, OR 97267
                                7 am     mmm, mmm, gooooood.......

ps.........
last one to post buys me breakfast...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, but I'll be missing the PR this time. There's so much going on this weekend it's not funny.

Instead, I'll be purusing the fun toys at the gunshow on Friday, followed by looking at some property to purchase. Saturday, I'll be viewing the planes at the Hillsboro/Oregon Airshow most of the day. Sunday is the all day Utah CCW class. And of course, Monday, I get to fly my ass down to San Jose again.

Next month. I was really looking forward to it too. I was going to run the AK + Kobra.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok.. for the uninformed.. whats this PR consist of. Any requirements or anything to do it? I'm asssuming its fun or you guys wouldn't do it over and over

Basically just looking for the 60 second version

Also where's it at?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, thought I was too...............so much for getting it sighted in.
I still have a stiffy over that M4 clone.........hoping my stuff actually sells so I can get a lower from Cape.......damn internet.......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok.. for the uninformed.. whats this PR consist of. Any requirements or anything to do it? I'm asssuming its fun or you guys wouldn't do it over and over

Basically just looking for the 60 second version

Also where's it at?

WHERE=

Tri-County gun club, Sherwood

WHY=

Because it's too damn much fun

WHAT=

Usually a mixture of steel reactive targets, paper targets, and movement..... i.e.  more than one shooting position.

LINK

The website is out of date but kinda gives you an idea

Photos of this year's matches

Heck just show up for breakfast, we'll walk you through it, gun, NON MAGNETIC ammo, and $15.....best fun you'll have all month.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Agian with the n00b questions..

Steel Core Ammo?
Magnetic Ammo?

Whats plain ol' Wolf FMJ considered?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's the Yellow label Copper jacket Wolf you're OK.......the regular 122gr has a "Bi-Metal" jacket, with a fair amount of steel in it. Do a magnet test...ON THE TIP OF THE BULLET....as the cases are steel and will stick too. If it sticks, can't use it, if it doesn't, you're good to go.

The reason you can't use "magnetic ammo" is that it chews up the steel reactive targets, and from what I hear, they are very expensive to replace.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
For all you folks who are regular practical rifle folks: About what time do you finish up for the day?  I need to let the wife and child know when I plan on coming home with a huge grin.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Count me and Lynn in. Sorry Boo, but we spent your breakfast money on ammo yesterday.  BSW
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If it's the Yellow label Copper jacket Wolf you're OK.......the regular 122gr has a "Bi-Metal" jacket, with a fair amount of steel in it. Do a magnet test...ON THE TIP OF THE BULLET....as the cases are steel and will stick too. If it sticks, can't use it, if it doesn't, you're good to go.

The reason you can't use "magnetic ammo" is that it chews up the steel reactive targets, and from what I hear, they are very expensive to replace.

I think their 223, 308 and all handgun ammo is non magnetic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Let's see if I can do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bring:

1) ~150 rounds of ammo, 2-3 mags
2) Sunscreen
3) Water
4) A folding chair is nice
5) Kneepads are nice as these are recommended as this is in a gravel pit
6) $15
7) Usually a pistol with 30 rounds is recommended for some stages.
8) Everything needs a case (or bag). It's a good idea to label one end of the case as "muzzle". You'll see why.

That should cover it. There is a communal water barrel for safety reasons, but like communal bathrooms it's always nice to just use your own.

As mentioned before, no steel core ammo as it blows holes in the targets. The gray area is the Wolf Bi-Metal. It's not steel core, but does have a significant amount of steel that does damage.

Location is Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood. You don't need to be a member. Sign up for the mailing list to get the gate code (or follow someone in).

Guys, did I cover it?

Also, DON'T be intimidated. Granted, there are guys in full cammo with $3000 guns with 10 pounds of electronic crap. Then there's Boo...a $200 AK with iron sights. Everyone has fun, without getting looked down on. Last time I was there (just watching) there were close to 10-15 newbies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
If anybody has some embarrassing digital photos of Unka-Boo please email them to me and I will update the 'out-of-date' PR website...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...The gray area is the Wolf Bi-Metal. It's not steel core, but does have a significant amount of steel that does damage....

No gray area about it!  If it sticks to a magnet and you've already shot it you're going home!

Steel in the core or the jacket is not the rule.  Magnetic or non-magnetic is the rule.

If you check it before you shoot and it sticks, please buy non-magnetic ammo off of someone.

How much do steel targets cost?  Randy buys some of the targets from MGM, I think.  Here is their price list:
www.mgmtargets.com/pricing.htm

One of these targets costs $304:

If your ammo is hard on the targets, or you thought it had a steel jacket, but it actually had a steel core, you can easily shoot holes through $1000 or $2000 worth of targets in just one stage.  Not cool.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
So, if Boo is shootin his AK (don’t know what ammo he is using) can I shoot mine?

I’m really wanting to come out and do this. I shot the Speed Steel match up there last Sunday so I can find my way, now we just have to figure out which day we said we’re going to the Air Show.

Knee pads sounds like they’re pretty important…

~150 rounds of rifle ammo (non-magnetic)
~30 rounds of pistol ammo
~2-3 rifle mags
How many pistol mags? Holster? Mag pouch?
Mag pouch for rifle mags?
Sling?

What else would us n00bs need to bring guys?

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]

I have never used them.

I dunneo if I'm going...I haven't been able to sleep in for weeks.......and I need to start SAVING ammo, not shot it all up!

Plus Cape_Hunter won't be there......and this broke my heart.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
No sling needed, as no stages start with the rifle sling.
No holster needed, any stage that uses a pistol will start with it in a box or on top a table.

The rocks can be pretty sharp... I'd guess 70% of shooters use them. Of course if you're like WS4LIF, and only have enough brain cells to breath and pull the trigger you won't notice the nerve impulses from your knees...

I'd have five loaded mags if you have them. You usually will only need one pistol mag, but I take a backup just in case.

I would add rain gear and snacks to the list.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So, if Boo is shootin his AK (don’t know what ammo he is using) can I shoot mine?

I’m really wanting to come out and do this. I shot the Speed Steel match up there last Sunday so I can find my way, now we just have to figure out which day we said we’re going to the Air Show.

~150 rounds of rifle ammo (non-magnetic)
~30 rounds of pistol ammo
~2-3 rifle mags
How many pistol mags? Holster? Mag pouch?
Mag pouch for rifle mags?
Sling?

What else would us n00bs need to bring guys?

Thanks, Chris

As far as 7.62x39 goes...

I'm using the 122gr wolf copper jacket FMJ.......should have a yellow label on the box....AFAIK it's the only production non-bi-metal jacket stuff around ( as far as blasting ammo goes...). It is kinda hard to find though, Phoenix Armory in OC usually has some in stock, last time I was up there ( a WHLIE ago ) he had some packed in 100 rnd bags for like $15.
I havn't checked Silver bear or Barnaul, so I can't say whether it is or not. Someone last month had some Yugo suplus that was copper/lead and was OK to use, but again don't know for sure. DO THE MAGNET TEST TO BE SURE!!

Bring water, snacks, foldy-campy chair, a good attitude, and some BS stories to tell...
I'm a puss and don't like gravel in my knee caps, so pads I would highly recomend.

And TwoRavens...........................

Most of my highly embarrasing photos were taken the old fashion way, before digital ( Thank God!!! )  But ask me about the "Great woodpile incident of '97" sometime..........actually.....don't...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to miss this one due to my sisters wedding this weekend.

I will be at next months PR for sure.

Shoot straight and be safe this weekend!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I should be able to make it...  

I have to work at the air show and then there is a gun show this weekend....  what to do what to do...

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I dunneo if I'm going...I haven't been able to sleep in for weeks.......

Why don't you just go to bed earlier you whiner?  My .308 will wake you up.

We can hit the funshow afterward and make fun of Capehunter 's new line of beenie babies, airsoft, and ORF receivers.

I heard he got his new bicycle too...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Well guys, looks like we’re going to be going to the Air Show on Sunday…

My Saturday morning/afternoon has been booked for my first tactical rifle match.

Now, which rifle to bring…

What kind of distances/size of targets are we talking about?

What’s everybody else going to bring? (What are you going to wear to school tomorrow Becky?)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well guys, looks like we’re going to be going to the Air Show on Sunday…

My Saturday morning/afternoon has been booked for my first tactical rifle match.

Now, which rifle to bring…

Whatever your favorite one is....

What kind of distances/size of targets are we talking about?

Anything from 10 to 250 yards

What’s everybody else going to bring? (What are you going to wear to school tomorrow Becky?)

My ( according to NoAim...) $200 AK......

What side of town are you on?......you should meet us for breakfast........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Range 10 thru 300 max.
I would say avg between 30 to 50 yds, but there is usually at least one stage with a target or two at 200 yds plus.

Size 8" plates upto torso sized 'ringers and IPSC/IDPA paper

80% Ar15, Rest split between AKs, FALs,AR10s

At one least Iron sight usually places in the top 5, but the majority use red dots or ACOGs or variable power scope.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Question. If I were to come and watch, what do I do with my sidearm. I assume I can't carry on to Tri-county so should I bring a pistol bag or something?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If it's concealed...........then it's concealed, not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#25]
WS4LIF. If it is concealed, keep it there. If it's out in the open, then range rules apply (bag, action open, etc. etc.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What side of town are you on?......you should meet us for breakfast........

I'm on the far south side... Salem
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
WS4LIF. If it is concealed, keep it there. If it's out in the open, then range rules apply (bag, action open, etc. etc.)

Thanks, I just want to follow the rules so as not to ruin the fun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#28]
So, in checking out my little supply I ran a magnet across my 7,62x39 ammo and my Wolf 223 ammo. The 7.62x39 is marked TPZ KOPP, it is most definitely magnetic (won’t be shooting that). The Wolf 223 does not seem magnetic at all (other than the case). I’d really prefer to be shooting the Wolf 223 ammo so I’ll bring that and a magnet for verification, if there area any issues with it I won’t shoot it at all. In the event that that happens I’ll also tote along some US soft point ammo that should mushroom nicely against the steel. Got some 9mm ammo for the Glock, few extra magazines for the Glock and arf, some snacks and H2O, chair, jacket. I think I've got most of it covered, we'll see ya'll tomorrow morning. Oh, what time do we need to be there? (new shooter orientation?)

-Chris
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got some more 7.62x39 today ( thanks NoAim!!! ), so if you want to run the AK, I can hook you up.

Officially starts at 9am.........I usually get there between 8:15 & 8:30, for sign up and such. As a new shooter you will have a couple of forms to fill out, but doesn't take too much time.
Hope to see ya in the morning!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ll be there. The plan is to drop my g/f off at her friend’s house in Sherwood for a day of scrapbooking then head back out to the range.

Thanks for the offer on the ammo, I’d figured on bring the M4gery though. I’ll have to look around for some of that 7,62x39 ammo though, my three Romanian kits just arrived today. Might have to bring one of them out to a shoot sometime.

Anyway, looking forward to the shoot and meeting some of you guys.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked up about 1400 rounds of the Zimbabwe Cheetah 7.62x39 today at the gunshow. Brass cased, copper jacket, lead core. Look for it at the huge orange ammo sign at the PDX gunshow.

I haven't shot it, but it looks good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#32]
How many $$ ???  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How many $$ ???  

$190 for 1400 rounds. So in the usual 1000 round quantity pricing: $135 (ow).

The Wolf 7.62x39 I saw was the usual Bi-Metal stuff. It was priced at $120. Just a year ago I picked up that stuff for $75/case.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Knew I shoulda bought more last year!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#35]
good match today...  Ch139 was top tyro!!  Whoohooo!!!  

it almost rained on us...  but couldn't quite pull it off.   I was wearing the HK t-shirt and OD pants.  A couple other ar15.com guys were in my squad.

fast match.  there were 4 full squads and we were done, packed up and put away by 2:30.

let me see if I can remember:

stage 1 - 13 paper targets - shooting on the move.  barrel trough a port so you can only point in a limited direction.  13 targets, shoot 'em if you can.  one pass only.   note: Acog is not the scope of choice for this stage.

stage 2 - 9 steel targets - shoot and move in multiple directions.  start loaded at low ready, engage tragedy to your front, move forward and shoot 2 targets to your right as they appear (approx 30 - 40M).  turn to the left and move until you see a pair of targets.  Engage them as you see them.  keep moving until you see another pair of targets and another.  I liked this stage.  I had one miss on target #2 but then I picked all the rest up w/ no misses.   shooting and moving...  good stuff.

stage 3  - 4  steel swinger targets, not much moving.  start loaded, at low ready.  engage 3 flashers 40 - 60M (just a guess, I didn't range them).  you could engage them all from standing or two from kneeling and one had to be done standing.  turn 90 deg left, engage one target at 260M from behind a saw horse.  could use the horse for support or go prone and go under.  Had to try to hit it 3 times (couldn't just skip it).  20 second penalty for FTN - so you could just game it and crank off 3 rounds at it and run away.  then change and fire at the first 3 targets again, and the single again.  This was OK - I used the ACOG well after I figured it out...  didn't need to adjust my point of aim, but I didn't know that   .  I was shooting high.  Ooops.

stage 4 - 4 targets, pistol and rifle.  hose down...   rifle and pistol loaded on barrels 12 feet apart.  start with hands up, back to pistol.  on go, turn and engage the paper targets, 2 hots per target with the pistol. move to the other barrel and retrieve rifle, engage same paper targets - same as before, 2 hits per target.   I managed to miss one pistol shot and got 'lost' with the 4x acog and had to re-engage one target.   had a respectable score until I got the 10 sec penalty for missing with the pistol...  but I had an 8 round mag so what the hell was I gonna do?  re-load and poke another hole in it?  

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
stage 1 - 13 paper targets - shooting from the back of a moving truck.  barrel trough a port so you can only point in a limited direction.  13 targets, shoot 'em if you can.  one pass only.   note: Acog is not the scope of choice for this stage.

And it was two shots per target, so 26 fast shots from a moving truck.

I got third on that stage with a 16" FAL. It just goes to show that even .308s can engage targets quickly.  You don't need an AR or a muzzle brake.

The funniest thing I saw was the new girl, Rachael, smoke all those PR veterans in the squad on stage four with her pistol.  You guys need to practice hitting the target  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#37]
This sounds like a blast....Glad you guys had fun.... i'll have to make a road trip next time for it if I can get enough pennies together for an Eotech and knee pads.

My TA01NSN doesn't sound too effective for all the close range stuff.

I have this awful feeling if I go though, the second I start firing, I'm gonna miss most of the targets

Any rule against swapping optics between stages?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This sounds like a blast....Glad you guys had fun.... i'll have to make a road trip next time for it if I can get enough pennies together for an Eotech and knee pads.

My TA01NSN doesn't sound too effective for all the close range stuff.

I have this awful feeling if I go though, the second I start firing, I'm gonna miss most of the targets

You'll do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
good match today...  Ch139 was top tyro!!  Whoohooo!!!  

That just means i was 33rd overall.

I had a great time though and will be back in October.

Now, to get some of you guys to come out for Speed Steel...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#40]
You are not allowed to swap scopes between stages.
You can switch from scope to backup irons if you your scope breaks (or you can replace with an identical scope) (you'll still be scored as scoped)

You can mount a scope and a reddot together though, e.g. piggy back a Jpoint on to Acog, or put a red dot on a 45 deg mount alongside a scope.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

you can't change anything on the rifle between stages unless it breaks.  e.g.  if you have a bi-pod on for one stage, it has to stay on the rifle the whole time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top