Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 8:50:25 AM EDT
www.firearmsacademy.com/fas7.htm

I've decided this is the one I'm putting in for.   Tonite at work I'll put in for the days off and will likely put a deposit on the class on the 15th of Jan.     Anybody else up for a carbine course in April?    

If anyone here has taken the class please share your review of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
 I'll look in to it. But I can't pick vacation until Feb. May end up in a later class.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I took that class last time.

It was a good class.  Solid basic carbine class.  A great value for the price.  IM me if you have any specific questions.

The big negative I took away was there was a lot of info in only 2 days so you didn't cover anything in depth.  I would have liked to focus on a couple of the skills and stick to them for more repitition.  I actually owe Marty an e-mail with some notes I took while I was there.

See if Double Trouble wants to split gas and go up with you, he was talking about it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

See if Double Trouble wants to split gas and go up with you, he was talking about it.

It's on my list.  I belong to a private campground (Thousand Trails) which has a preserve in Chehalis.  My thought was to rent a cabin (Mobil Home?)   Have a place close by to clean rifles, play cards and get a shower.

If anyone's interested in splitting the trip costs - let me know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks cool, I'll go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a coworker with a huge 5th wheel trailer that's considering it also
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It was a good class.  Solid basic carbine class.  A great value for the price.  IM me if you have any specific questions.

The big negative I took away was there was a lot of info in only 2 days so you didn't cover anything in depth.  I would have liked to focus on a couple of the skills and stick to them for more repitition.  I actually owe Marty an e-mail with some notes I took while I was there.

Please share your experience there.    What can I expect out of the course and any equipment that I should or should not bring besides what is on their equipment list?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The packing list is pretty complete.

Like I said, it is a solid basic rifle class.  Day 1 is lecture and then basic tasks...  marksmship fundimentals, load, unload, firing position, zeroing your rifle, etc.   Day 2 is shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, low-light, etc.  

You shoot from 7 yards to 275 yards.

Hmmm...  tips and tricks...

Stop and get lunch on your way in, there isn't time to get food in town.  I stayed in town and stopped at subway on the way in and it worked good to have a sammmich ready to go.  If you guys stay at the campground it will be close to the range but make morning logistics difficult for getting food from town - just plan to make your own and you'll be good to go.

You move to several different ranges through out the day so keep your stuff portable.  chair, rifle case, ammo can, water...  keep everything else in your vehicle and drive from range to range.  You'll save yourself tons of time.

Don't forget to do weapons maintenance at night...  You'll be busy the whole time, standing on the line with a bolt action AR-15 won't win you any new friends.  

Bring a back-up rifle - if your rifle breaks put it away and grab your back-up...  figure out what is wrong with it later.  fucking ass holes trying to diagnose their fucked up piece of shit bang sticks on the line.  

'more trigger, less talk.'  

bring some tape for your fingers.  I always get 'colt finger' whenever I go to a rifle class.

The rest is pretty much like a 2 day long practical rifle match.

3+ mags, something to carry the mags in.  

Rain gear & sun screen.

A folding camp chair!!!  We ran 2 relays and it was nice to sit down and load mags between strings.  

that is all I can think of right now...  I'll try to remember more.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like alot of fun and a great experience.

You in?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If I have time... I might be in for another dose of that class.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got approved for the time off, now if it doesnt fill up by the 15th of Jan I can put a deposit on it.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmmm, sound slike fun. I'll have to check the vacation calendar when I get back to work....on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Bring a back-up rifle - if your rifle breaks put it away and grab your back-up...  figure out what is wrong with it later.  fucking ass holes trying to diagnose their fucked up piece of shit bang sticks on the line.  

Will a fullsize SP1 clone be a decent backup or should I take another flattop with optic?  ( I'd rather not scratch up the wife's gun)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will a fullsize SP1 clone be a decent backup or should I take another flattop with optic?  ( I'd rather not scratch up the wife's gun)

well - it SHOULDN'T get too banged up, but...  no reason to piss off your wife :)

it is just nice to have a rifle that you can swap straight out if you need it.  Depends on if you want 2 exact rifles for training value when a plain jane carry handle AR will work as a BU.  

I had a 14.5" with an EOTech and a 16" with an ACOG and I was fine.  Hell, I've done other classes with my AR and just had an AK with a can of ammo in the trunk of the car - never need it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well - it SHOULDN'T get too banged up, but...  no reason to piss off your wife :)

it is just nice to have a rifle that you can swap straight out if you need it.  Depends on if you want 2 exact rifles for training value when a plain jane carry handle AR will work as a BU.  

I had a 14.5" with an EOTech and a 16" with an ACOG and I was fine.  Hell, I've done other classes with my AR and just had an AK with a can of ammo in the trunk of the car - never need it.

[Psst] Gackman, can I borrow a rifle? Managed to find myself with only 1 AR [/Psst}
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
How much running, Jumping and crouthing is done?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Psst] Gackman, can I borrow a rifle? Managed to find myself with only 1 AR [/Psst}

bull shit - where is that old one you bought from my that hooked you into ARs?

Quoted:
How much running, Jumping and crouthing is done?

there are a couple courses of fire that are a some what strenuous...  but there were some people there who were less than limber and in shape so I wouldn't worry about it.  Do what you can and take your time if you have a medical issue.  There was a guy with beat-up knee who couldn't do any of the speed kneeling drills.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
bull shit - where is that old one you bought from my that hooked you into ARs?

Ouch - that hurts brother.  
I went through my safe and sold off all (most) of my low end / duplicate stuff.  

No worries.  I'll probably have a new one by April.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#20]
tsk tsk tsk...  who'd you sell it to?  you finally hook your buddy into the evil world of black rifles?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm looking into going but I've already caught hell from the SO for the 2nd Saturday of every month(PRM).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Taggity tag tag.

Mark.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks interesting. Tagged for updates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top