Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 7:35:16 AM EDT
Texas Tactical will be putting on a Tactical Carbine match this Saturday. We put on this match the second Saturday of every month at our Range near Johnson City, Texas. The match is open to all "SAFE" shooters of any age or skill level!!

There will be 4 divisions
1. Iron sights
2. Optic... Scoped or Red dot or other sighting device.
3. Limited Division for rifles with limited ammo capacity 10 round max.
4. Junior Division for 14 yr old or younger
(.22s are legal in this division)

There will be 6 stages based on self defense scenarios.
For Location and more info on Texas Tactical please visit our new website at:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html
If you have any questions or comments feel free to email us at [email protected]
Hope to see Y'all there!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly do you mean by "SAFE" shooters?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Any shooter who is responsible and will follow the 4 universal gun handling rules.

1. All GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.
(Means, treat every gun as if it were loaded)
2. NEVER LET YOUR MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.
(Means, keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times)
3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET.
(Means, the only time you should have your finger on or near the trigger is when you are aiming and firing.)
4. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND BACKSTOP.
(This means always know what it is you're shooting at and only shoot at safe targets, not at something that might riccochet in an unsafe direction. Also be aware of where your bullet is going to go after it strikes the target.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be there in a heartbeat, but I'm still slightly crippled from last weekend (bad backs suck, eh, Legs?).

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be in Abilene this weekend moving my daughter back home from school.  I am interested so keep us informed of future events.  

What's the cost to attend?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
TexasTactical...How much is the class??

Sorry same question as above....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't a class, but a match.  The IDPA pistol was $15.  I did it last weekend for the first time, and had a blast, even though my skills suck.

I'll be there this Saturday, and hope to meet some folks from this board.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
All our Matches are currently $15. We put on an IDPA (pistol) match the 1st Sunday of every month. A Tactical Carbine the 2nd Saturday of every month. Another IDPA Match in San Antonio the 3rd Sunday of every month and try to do a few 3 gun matches every year. We also put on Night/Lowlight shoots (handgun) October through April. We always love to see AR15ers at any of our matches!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Trey, We really enjoyed having you come shoot with us. Don't worry about your skills you will improve, I guarantee it. You didn't do bad at all for your first time. Hope to see you there!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds pretty cool...Who else is planning on going????
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I HIGHLY recommend trying the Carbine Matches to anyone who hasn't gone to one.  They are simply the MOST FUN you can have with your rifle.  No Shit.  

I've been to a couple that Mike runs, and they've all been a blast!  The scenarios are fun (it runs like IDPA, but with rifles, and usually slightly larger target ranges) and creative.  Everyone I've met out there are very kind and helpful.  

Remember, they do this EVERY MONTH!  If you can't make it this time, there will be another one next month!

(I likely will not make it this weekend... I have to prepare to move to a new apartment next weekend.  Sucks, because I have a shiny new M4gery with a badass tac sling and a nice 'tactical' drop leg mag pouch to try out!   Oh well... next time!)

Edited to add... I'm off on Friday and Saturday now... if I can get some stuff done tomorrow, I might be able to swing going to the match, then finishing up what I got to get done AFTER the match.... I really want to try out the new gear!!  

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Mike and others,

I'll be there (finally!)  Been so damn busy...

A favor: can anyone bring a video camera?  My girlfriend is out of state for a while and would like some pics of me.  She likes pics of me shooting guns!! How much better can it get than that?  I'll pay for the tape, time,etc.  

Also, please make sure you follow rule #4 of the universal gun handling rules.

Here's my ph#'s if anyone wants to link up.  
Home 210.659.0147
Cell 210.823.6265

MQ- shoot that Thompson yet?

Don

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
That match on Saturday was a blast (no pun intended).  For those of you in the Hill Country who haven't been, you'll need to go, especially if you are tired of punching paper, slow-fire, at 50 and 100 yrds.

Mike, if you are reading this, is there any interest out there in shooting precision rifle?  It looks like you have at least a 200 yd line out there in Johnson City.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
zmeja,

Glad you had some fun!  Backstop and I were there, and had a blast.  (I was the white boy in the khaki Nike Golf ballcap, carrying a stainless wheelgun, and had a stainless barreled 16" AR)

I think Backstop and I were a little loose on the accuracy, but had mucho fun.

For everyone that hasn't gone to one before... GO!  It's a blast!  It's the most fun you can have with your rifle!

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I was the very white guy with the Alabama ballcap and the Hawaiian shirt with B-17s, B-24s, B-25s, B-26s, and B-29s.

I think next time I'll be more outgoing and introduce myself.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely!   We may have to get a bunch of ARFCOM'ers to squad together.  

Did you get the results yet?  I'm quite excited!  I made 3rd in the Iron Sights division... and I thought I was shooting like crap!  

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I am glad y'all had a great time. Matt, I guess your new M4gery ran good, huh? Remember we use the Vickers count scoring system. Vickers count is IMHO the best system for balancing speed and accuracy. For every point down you add .50 seconds to your raw time. Take an extra .10 or .20 to align your sights and you will be ahead of the game. Hope to see y'all at any of our matches. Next time I will ask for a show of hands of ARFcomers......or better yet just tell Jennifer when you sign up that you want to be squadded with the rest of the ARFcomers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Mike, yeah, she ran good!

I don't quite have her sighted in correctly, tho.  I took her to the range a few weeks ago to break her in, but it was hitting way high at 50 yards, and I didn't have anything to adjust the front sight post with.  So I got home and gave it I think 1.5 revolutions raising it.  

I need to get it on paper at 25 with the large aperture and adjust accordingly.  

But she cycled great.  I love the trigger on it.  Breaks like a glass rod.  And she looks dead sexy, too!

The sling, and magpouch (CQB Solutions) worked out GREAT!  

I'll definitely be out there next time!

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally- been trying to post to this thread for two days- keep getting "web site not responding" when I hit post.

Mike- had a "great" time.  I shot like sheet.  Think I'll forget the shooting part.

Mathew Q- nice meetin' you.  TT has an IDPA this weekend at Blackhawk.  I'm planning on attending.  Wonder if some more from this site will show?  Oh yeah- found another cracked mag.  Along with the weapon malfs, wish I could attribute my poor shooting to the cracks!!

Zmeja- think I remember seeing you.  Have to shake your hand on the next one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Next time you guys decide to go, do a post and I will try to join you.  Sounds like great fun!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah let us know next time this is going on and who's going.  I live 32 miles away from Johnson City and would love to shoot with some ARFcommers.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#21]
ep_shooter and IYAOYAS467, go to mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html you'll find Mike's Texas Tactical page, and the calendar.  The next Carbine match should be 1 month from last Saturday.  It's a monthly deal, barring weather or range problems.

I'm going to plan on being there next time!  

Backstop, hey, sorry to hear about the cracked mags!  Yeesh!  But I guess, the psychological affect was enough to cause your shooting to be poor, huh?  hehe... I didn't think I was shooting as good as I was... I still need to get my weapon sighted in correctly.  I am very happy she ran good, tho!

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Don, I think one of the best benefits of these matches is it allows you to test your equipment and techniques and discard those that fail. It never fails, a piece of equipment that worked great testing in your home or on a liesurely trip to the range can and will show flaws under match conditions. I think its much better to wring out your equipment and techniques when all that matters is a score, than to find out in a life threatening situation that something didn't work. I can't count the number of times I have had equipment that I thought "wow this is perfect" took it to a match and found for one reason or another that it was less than stellar. Same goes for tactics and techniques. The other great thing is no matter how bad you shoot, you always learn something about yourself and or your equipment, and therefore improve every match. Thats what it's all about improvement not competition! Look forward to seeing you on Sunday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top