Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2005 6:06:21 AM EDT
Greetings.

I was wondering if there is any interest in a shoot this spring.  Most of us in the Dutchess/Orange/Putnam area are not priveledged to belong to any of the private clubs in our area.  I shoot so infrequently that it is not worth it to join at this moment.  It would be nice to meet some of our fellow AR15.comers in person.

Calverton in Long Island is black rifle friendly but is too far.  Plus we have to travel thru NYC.  I'd rather avoid any oppressive LEO mindset along the way.

Blue Mountain in Westchester has outrageous hourly rates and unfriendly rules and range officers.  One of the many reasons I'm glad I no longer live in that county.

I do not know of any ranges in PA near the state line we can go to.

Seems to me the only places to go are in Connecticut, unless one of the fellow board members has lots of land up north and can hosts the shoot.  That would be ideal.

Wooster Mountain by the Danbury Mall is only open on weekends to the public.  Limited to 50 yards and may not be able to accomodate a large group.

The only place I can think of is Blue Trail in Wallingford.  Reasonably priced and open on the weekdays too.  Plenty of 100 yard shooting positions, plus a 200 yard line for those who want a bit more challenge.  I believe we can picnic/BBQ on the property.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  One caviat - do not bring any of the long guns on the CT ban list.  No Colt AR15 marked lowers.  

So whatcha think?  Any other ideas?  If anyone has been to these ranges recently, please post details such as rates, restrictions, hours, etc.  This may end up being a NY/CT shoot.

Let the fun begin!

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
We always hold shoots at Calverton and their are a few who come from Rockland, Putnam, Orange and Dutchess. We BBQ all the time out there. Its an all day affair. And plus calverton has semi-relaxed rules and its a great way to meet your fellow arfcommer's
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds great, I'm in!
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Calverton was far when I lived in Westchester.  It is now further as I am in Dutchess.  I like the place, but I do not want to spend +8 hours of my life in a car just to go shooting.  There may be guys interested that are further north and west of me who also may not like the trip.  In the mid-late 1980s my friends gun shop use to organize shooting days at Calverton.  Sometimes we had over 20 guys.  Those were the days.  No disrespect intended mag162.  It probably would be fun to shoot with you guys.

Not much info but it is a start:

Blue Trail info - www.tourism.state.ct.us/Travel/detail.asp?id=698

Wooster Mtn - www.totalsportsman.com/store/boards/searchClub2.asp?id=130
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Dutchess County also. Count me in.
I went to Blue Mt. with a friend from work just to shoot my .22 and I wasn't too thrilled with it.
Never liked public ranges. I finished my first AR just after New Years and I still have not fired it yet.
So I'm ready.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey FALbert - are you talking about the Arms Chest?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I am talking about The Arms Chest.

Joe B. went on to become an LEO in White Plains.  I still talk to him from time to time.  The business was going under, and that burglary put the nail in the coffin.  ATF recovered most of the guns that were stolen, but they could not collect on the insurance money because there was an "ongoing investigation" and ATF would not allow the insurance company inspect the stolen items.   He was making enough to draw a livable salary but not enough to turn profits.  The store was struggling after Federal AW ban.  Sadly, Westchester's anti-gun climate has killed off most gun shops.

Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Al,

It was a combination of the AWB and all you guys getting married...except for Steph. He had the only wife that hung out in gun stores.

If I'm guessing my Arms Chest Alumni correctly, You need to take Marco to the range soon - if I hear him tell me that he needs to get another AR one more time I'm going to scream.

FYI:
AR tactical match 4/30 and 5/01 at Square Deal Sportsmen near Binghamton. Great place to shoot.

Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
NY-EMT

IM responded to.  Good to hear from you.

You forgot to mention kids.  Disposable income used faster than I can earn it!

Steph's wife is a saint.  More women should be like her.  I went to Black Rock with him this summer.

So, you game for this spring shoot?
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
If state legislation has its way it may be a black powder shoot this spring........contact your local legislators and tell them you oppose these new bands!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you guys get something going at Blue trail I would have to be in on it.I belong to a private club and do almost all of my blasting there but it isn't setup so I could bring groups.I only live 3 mi from bluetrail. It would be good if you could post something in the New england hometown if something starts to firm up.
I would look foward to meeting/shooting with you and could guide you on where to eat ect.
Thanks
Im or email me if you need local info  NHSPORT
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Grannicks......I use to drool at the automatic weapons they had on display.  And all in the middle of rich aristocratic yuppies.  Remember Hanson Ammo in Southport?  They had MGs too.

nhsport, CT guys are invited of course.  Afterall it is your state.  Pretty sad us NYers have to go to CT to shoot.  Grrrrr.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah, Hanson that was a place to fondle ammo. I miss the good times of going out and shooting at a minutes notice.  hippie.gif
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Wooster Mtn.  is in Danbury Ct....not far from Putnam.. Dutchess County...I'm in South Salem, NY right on the CT border....maybe 15 minutes...it's a short range maybe 75 yards....but it's convenient to shoot there and they are pretty AR friendly.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Count me in on the Spring shoot.  I am expecting my Bushmaster Varminter any day now (Sportman's Den in Carmel, NY).  I also picked up a Remington 870 Express with the extended mag and folding stock.  Good home defense weapon in crime ridden Wappingers Falls he
In any event, count me in for a shoot.  I'd even drive to Calverton, but it would be a hike and a half for me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Wooster Mtn in my first choice if we don't have a large group.  Driving far is my least favorite thing to do and this range is as close as it gets.

Blue Trail is better if we have the numbers.  I am going to post in the New England Hometown forum as suggested to see how many CT guys want to participate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you would be better off at Wooster Mtn or High Rock. Blue Trail will get their panties all bunched up if you rapid fire & the 100 yrd ports have plywood covers so you can only shoot from the seated bench rest.

Other than that I m game for a shoot!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Connecticut guys are game

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=194641

What we need is private land!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
HOLY CRAP!  I just researched Wooster Mtn and High Rock.  Cheap to shoot there!  WOW, one of them is only $25 annually, the other is $5 the first hour and only four bucks each hour after that.

DAMN, there is NOTHING like that around here.  The only place I have to shoot is a 100 yard indoor range that is $22.50!

I sooo wish there was something like that in the HV.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
HOLY CRAP!  I just researched Wooster Mtn and High Rock.  Cheap to shoot there!  WOW, one of them is only $25 annually, the other is $5 the first hour and only four bucks each hour after that.

DAMN, there is NOTHING like that around here.  The only place I have to shoot is a 100 yard indoor range that is $22.50!

I sooo wish there was something like that in the HV.

Davis (formerly Knight's) is outrageous at $22.50 an hour.  I take my business and my 9mm AR15 to Master Class Shooters Supply.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Davis (formerly Knight's) is outrageous at $22.50 an hour.  I take my business and my 9mm AR15 to Master Class Shooters Supply.

+1

Also, Davis will not allow more than 5 rounds loaded per magazine.  Yep. All magazines, near as I can tell including Garand clips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top