Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 7:18:18 AM EDT
I just got one in PA for 6 over.  Will I get points on my NY license?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No, the NYS DMV does not assign points for out of state traffic violations. Your insurance company can assign points that affect your cost of insurance for any traffic infraction if they want to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I got one 3 years ago.  PA SP gave me a ticket for doing 95 in a 65 area on US 80.  No points if you paid within 7 days according to the PA SP.  So I sent a check as soon as I found the next rest stop.

What kills me is that the ticket was for 75 dollars but all the other charges and forced donations to the 911 system, yada yada yada bumped my ticket to 190.  WTF.

On the return trip.  I stopped by a best buy and bought a radar detector. 0 Ticket.  I learned my lesson, don't drive without  a radar detector.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sterling--I've much the same story as you.  My radar detector crapped out on me and I've been procrastinating sending it in for repairs.

The cop got me doing somewhere in the high-80s in a 65, but dropped it to 71 for me.

The $125 I can handle, it's the insurance surcharge that worries me.

So long as NYS doesn't find out about the ticket I doubt the insurance company will, either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The interstate compact does not provide for the assignment of "points" between the member compact states in the U.S. If you don't appear for a moving violation in PA, NYS DMV will suspend your NY DL. If you were to be convicted of an alcohol/drug out-of-state related driving offense and your driving privileges were suspended in the other state then the NYS DMV would also suspend your NY DL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]

"Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points]Link to Some Info

FYI, insurance company surchages appear even where the are no points issued to your NY license.  

Sterling18, you were lied to by the SP, they wanted you to pay your ticket without contesting it.  There never would have been any points.  I'm sure you got an insurance surchage?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh geeze I knew P-A-S would bring that up.  There is a separate compact with Ontario and  Quebec that provides for "points" to be assessed for a limited of number traffic violations. It also differs in the number of points that would be assessed if the violation occurred in NYS. It covers alcohol related offenses as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points]Link to Some Info

FYI, insurance company surchages appear even where the are no points issued to your NY license.  

Sterling18, you were lied to by the SP, they wanted you to pay your ticket without contesting it.  There never would have been any points.  I'm sure you got an insurance surchage?

I'm sure you are right, there was a surcharge but I don't remember it.  My rates have stated the same within 20 dollars for the last couple of years.  I actually got a break from my agent recently.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
invest in a Valentine One Radar Detector.

Then again I have FOP plates on my vehicle.

Sooo...this means you have a V1RD for sale cheap....?
I call first Dibs!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The interstate compact does not provide for the assignment of "points" between the member compact states in the U.S. If you don't appear for a moving violation in PA, NYS DMV will suspend your NY DL. If you were to be convicted of an alcohol/drug out-of-state related driving offense and your driving privileges were suspended in the other state then the NYS DMV would also suspend your NY DL.

Which is something I found really bizarre because if you get convicted of a moving violation in Ontario or Québec (especially route 15 north of the New York border), you will get points on your license (at least with New York State).  Likewise for a Canadian caught in New York (usually on the Thruway).  When I am driving up the QEW to Toronto I try to keep it well below the other drivers as a "foreigner" would be an easy revenue target.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for the Valentine 1 radar detector.  It's expensive but in long run it's worth it.  It has saved my ass many times especially driving through NJ.  I have noticed that if you have out of state plates you  have a greater chance of getting pulled over.

Here is a good site with info on radar dectectors run by an ex cop. www.radarbusters.com

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
6 OVER??????

Dude....you are a menace to society!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
invest in a Valentine One Radar Detector.

Then again I have FOP plates on my vehicle.

Sooo...this means you have a V1RD for sale cheap....?
I call first Dibs!!!!

Mine was stolen from my car when I left it at a LIRR station.

Damn! Where's a J.B.T. errr..., cop when you need one.
Did they see it, or the suction cup marks on the windshield? How much damage did they do?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
LIRR stations are car crime incubators.  Get a station car and fill the glove compartment with broken glass and rusty nails.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get a Trunk Monkey

Those work every  tme!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you don't appear for, or pay a moving violation in PA, NYS DMV will suspend your NY DL.

I wouldn't know anything about that. Nope.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My V1 saved me a assload of times..... the only time I really got a ticket was when I lent it to my brother on  a road trip to Florida.  

Oh and trust me, almost all the nypd highway patrol are using laser now.  Its thier new favorite toy, and it sucks.  The V1 picks it up the best, but the bad thing is, once you pick it up - they got your speed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My V1 saved me a assload of times..... the only time I really got a ticket was when I lent it to my brother on  a road trip to Florida.  

Oh and trust me, almost all the nypd highway patrol are using laser now.  Its thier new favorite toy, and it sucks.  The V1 picks it up the best, but the bad thing is, once you pick it up - they got your speed.

The NYSP have been using these for a few years now and you are right.  By the time you know that they are there, you are already dead meat.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Smash and grab

My auto insurance agent told me he never locks his car for that reason.  He would rather they just take the stuff rather than break the windows and take the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NYSP have been using these for a few years now and you are right.  By the time you know that they are there, you are already dead meat.

I've litigated a case (I was not the defendant) against NYPD and LIDAR.  And lost.  It's indefensible.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did they see it, or the suction cup marks on the windshield? How much damage did they do?

Saw the suction cup marks on the windshield but I suspect I was spotted removing it as I prefer parking very close to the platform. Smash and grab, couldn't believe they didn't take my PD parking plaque! Last time I ever went to that train station.

I can't believe I missed the PD placque.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 4:12:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top