Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:27:56 PM EDT
Based on my prior post below about bug out (BO) plans in Northeastern NJ, I have found people interested in sharing their knowledge to form an effective escape route if needed. We also stand a better chance if we are more knowledgeable and stick together as responsible people.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=219221

If your interested in meeting for discussion on BO plans please leave your interest and location so we can figure out where to meet and what topics to discuss. Also, state what areas of knowledge or interest you may have if any. I'll be first.

I'm from Palisades Park, NJ 07650
Near Fort Lee and the George Washington Bridge
I have an extensive background in trauma/surgery (ATLS & ACLS Certified). Im also familiar with many types of firearms - AR, AK, FAL, M1A/M14, HKs, Sig ...

Areas of interest include, but are not limited to the following;
Food/water topic
Cars/Gas topic
Night Vision topic
Gear topic
Radio topic - ar-jedi knows about this stuff
Guns/ammo topic - at the range of course
Medical supplies topic

TL1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bumping this to the top so it doesn't get lost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
lol i think this is a little crazy
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
There is nothing crazy about being perpard for a scenaior that that could possibly happen. If it weren’t in North Jersey I would be there.

People serious need to think about thier bugout plans. I was just thinking the other day and relilized, to get out of Jersey (South) I HAVE to cross a bridge (Delawar river) unless I got north into NY. Which bridge do I take? If one is out what are the other ones? What are the back roads to those bridges?

You need to think about to shiz to keep you and your family safe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
TL1,

I have been a frequent visitor on the SF forum (of which our own Frank Squid is a Mod) and had compiled a good BO plan and even started to look into pennsy land for rec, hunting and BO purposes but the more I studied my own personal situation, it would have to be REAL bad for me to consider buggin out. I'm right next to ya in Ridgefield as my house is on bergen blvd just before crossing over into Pal Park so if you would like some conversation on BI as in "bug in" as well as BO and possible senarios, how bout we bullshit over a pie Donna's Pizzera??

My more immediate concern is formulating a good bug out plan from my workplace on the east side of Manhattan and back home .  I was there for 9/11 and the blackout and got home safe but was totally unprepared for an "extended stay" in the big apple. I left the city for 2 years I've been back now for a few weeks and finally settled in so I need to put an urban-get-home-bag put together ASAP.

BTW - the first house I bought was 340 East Central Blvd - 2 blocks west of Bergen Blvd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
lol i think this is a little crazy

So was Hurricane Andrew which I lived thru - I'm sure it got a little crazy in NOLA a few months ago. How crazy would it be if an ice storm knocked out power in the middle of winter maybe for a for a week? I think NOT thinking about crap like this is a little crazy.  I have a family that depends on me but they probably think like you so I'll do what I need to do to cover my (and my family's) ass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in!  I hope people won't let the whole bugout thing be a distraction, this is nothing more than emergency preparedness.

I'll be clear and public in my assertion that this is not in any way a militia organization, nor will I take part in it if it turns into one.  My oath to support and defend the Constitution didn't have an expiration date.  

My main interests are to ensure we can communicate effectively at the onset of an emergency, and that we can ensure the safety of ourselves and our families to any of the several real threats facing the area.  

Like Tom Ridge said while he was running Homeland Security, it's a matter of "when" not "if".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Logistics:  let's start with a date/time, then get to location.

Weekdays are tough travel up here so I propose we focus on weekends.  Having commuted I-80 to the GWB for a few years, I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone at any time M-F.

I'll open with two options for vote:

Sat 14 Jan (conflict w/ Allentown fun show if anyone's going)
Sat 28 Jan

Post availability and we'll go from there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be interested in attending depending upon the date.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is nothing crazy about being perpard for a scenaior that that could possibly happen. If it weren’t in North Jersey I would be there.

People serious need to think about thier bugout plans. I was just thinking the other day and relilized, to get out of Jersey (South) I HAVE to cross a bridge (Delawar river) unless I got north into NY. Which bridge do I take? If one is out what are the other ones? What are the back roads to those bridges?

You need to think about to shiz to keep you and your family safe.

be careful about bridges
as stated in my other post above - this is where the police will turn people back to prevent flooding of people into their state
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How crazy would it be if an ice storm knocked out power in the middle of winter maybe for a for a week? I think NOT thinking about crap like this is a little crazy.

1998 NE ice storm knocked power out for weeks in January in some locations in bitter cold weather. Imagine if that had hit the coastal area rather than further north.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in!  I hope people won't let the whole bugout thing be a distraction, this is nothing more than emergency preparedness.

I'll be clear and public in my assertion that this is not in any way a militia organization, nor will I take part in it if it turns into one.  My oath to support and defend the Constitution didn't have an expiration date.  

My main interests are to ensure we can communicate effectively at the onset of an emergency, and that we can ensure the safety of ourselves and our families to any of the several real threats facing the area.  

Like Tom Ridge said while he was running Homeland Security, it's a matter of "when" not "if".

This isn't a militia meeting but a meeting to discuss self defense and BO/BI plans if needed. I bet those in New Orleans wish they did the same. No membership is required and there is no ranking system. Its just a group of people in a community preparing for the worst. Like you stated"when it happens" we will be prepared.

I have gotten IMs about members being worried to post their names or occupation. Thats fine and I understand. If you don't want to post private info here feel free to IM or EM me at [email protected]

To be honest I have nothing to hide and could care less about the government looking into my background. In fact, they should be providing us with information about BO and where to go if needed, but since they don't I'm taking the responsibility in doing so.

I welcome anyone to join us including LEOs. I'm willing to share my extensive knowledge in trauma and medicine if your interested.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Logistics:  let's start with a date/time, then get to location.

Weekdays are tough travel up here so I propose we focus on weekends.  Having commuted I-80 to the GWB for a few years, I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone at any time M-F.

I'll open with two options for vote:

Sat 14 Jan (conflict w/ Allentown fun show if anyone's going)
Sat 28 Jan

Post availability and we'll go from there.

This depends on how many people are interested, but Jan 28th is better for me. Im working on the 14th
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally most of my "plans" right now pertain to bug-in situations.  I agree that if I have to bug-out then it's already a really bad situation.  However, I live in Central NJ, so I'm not sure how pertinent NNJ BO may be.  I'm still interested, of course, as having a network of able people is always better than not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
TL1,

I have been a frequent visitor on the SF forum (of which our own Frank Squid is a Mod) and had compiled a good BO plan and even started to look into pennsy land for rec, hunting and BO purposes but the more I studied my own personal situation, it would have to be REAL bad for me to consider buggin out. I'm right next to ya in Ridgefield as my house is on bergen blvd just before crossing over into Pal Park so if you would like some conversation on BI as in "bug in" as well as BO and possible senarios, how bout we bullshit over a pie Donna's Pizzera??

My more immediate concern is formulating a good bug out plan from my workplace on the east side of Manhattan and back home .  I was there for 9/11 and the blackout and got home safe but was totally unprepared for an "extended stay" in the big apple. I left the city for 2 years I've been back now for a few weeks and finally settled in so I need to put an urban-get-home-bag put together ASAP.

BTW - the first house I bought was 340 East Central Blvd - 2 blocks west of Bergen Blvd

Wow! You are very close to me.
I actually know the owner of Donna's - best pizza I have ever tasted IMHO
I would love to meet and discuss BO plans etc...
IM or EM me and we can chat over the phone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I would be up for a NJBO get together. I am located in Garfield, not to far from some of the people that have responded to this thread.

The either date is good for me.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]
all those interested IM or EM me so I can keep track

I'll be meeting with a few of you who EM'd me this week
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi guysI

Im planing to meet a few guys this Saturday to go out for lunch or to the range. If your interested drop me a line.

TL1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Few guys still showing interest

I guess we can make an official meeting date of Sat 28 Jan

IM me if anyone is interested we can meet at Fort Dix or Cherry Ridge
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey TL1,
When you come out my way to Stony Brook, Long Island a bug out plan gets real complicated.  Getting out of Long Island in a SHTF situation is ugly.  You are forced to take a bridge or tunnel maybe the ferry.  That is the major reason that the Shoreham nuke plant never opened.

A couple of guys have mentioned a bug in plan.  For Long Island that may be the only option in the short run.  It comes down to basic emergency planning.  Anytime there is a storm coming this way if you are heading out to the stores to stock up it's too late.

I remember after 911 and the duct tape and plastic scare.  Home Depot was out of that stuff in a few hours.  Imagine a real emergency.

At least being in the garden state you can get to PA or some place else.  Think about the ammount of traffic heading out of the NY metro area if something happened in NYC.  It is bad enough at rush hour or Jersey shore traffic.  In a SHTF panic getting anywhere in the NY metro area is going to be a major pain in the ass.  Best bet would be to get a couple of pilots with private planes to get the hell out of here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey TL1,

At least being in the garden state you can get to PA or some place else.  Think about the ammount of traffic heading out of the NY metro area if something happened in NYC.  It is bad enough at rush hour or Jersey shore traffic.  In a SHTF panic getting anywhere in the NY metro area is going to be a major pain in the ass.  Best bet would be to get a couple of pilots with private planes to get the hell out of here.

You have some excellent points. Some places in NJ will be no better. Those in western NJ will have a much easier time then those in Bergen, Essex, Passaic counties.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey TL1,

You have some excellent points. Some places in NJ will be no better. Those in western NJ will have a much easier time then those in Bergen, Essex, Passaic counties.
Mike

I've come to that realization myself being in Bergen Co.     BI preps is my plan 4 now  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Stony Brook is where I'll be for one year to do my fellowship in trauma critical care. I will be spending a lot of time there but my family will be in NJ. My house in NJ is only about 28 miles away. The hour and a half it takes me to drive this 28 miles comes from the city and the GWB.  As for BO from NJ I have to sit down with a map and find local road out west after picking a place to go.

I think we should discuss topics of interest one at a time so ideas can be more organized.
The topics should be;

1. Most likely disaster that will hit the NE coast
Natural disaster, dirty bomb, chinese invasion ...?

2. Bug In Plans
What is needed in your home for a month with out electricity, food, water and other things?
How soon will it take relief to come?
When is it time to bug out?
This will depend on how soon will relief be coming to us. We should use New Orleans as an example of how long it takes for the government and the rest of the country to send support. If you have 2 weeks of supplies in-house you should be OK?

3. Bug Out Plans
Where to go and how to get there from NJ?
What to avoid?
What to bring?
What car is best and how much gas/supplies?

4. Communication
Ham Radios, CBs, cell phone, satellite phones ...?

5. Guns and Ammo
AR, AK, FAL...?
223, 308. 762...?
amount of ammo?
type of ammo?
storage of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#24]
TL1,

Good points.

1.)  I have through 2 major hurricanes here on Long Island.  I think with Gloria we didn't have power for 2+ weeks.  My major concern is some type of bio or nuke attack on NYC.  That will create a mess the likes of which none of us has ever seen nor imagined.  If you have ever seen 'Dirty War' on HBO you'll get the idea.  That was a dirty bomb on London.  As a bunch of people have said you will be on your own.

2.)  BIP most likely scenario around here.  Even in the event of a dirty bomb attack it maybe safer to stay inside depending in the wind and fall out.  For a hurricane this is most likely.  The Red Cross website has a decent start for a home survival kit.  It's a good start.  With your background you probably have the best knowlege for a good med kit.

3.) BO for NJ that is a real option on Long Island a boat is my only choice

4.) Forget about cell phones.  Being in the city on 911 they will not work in a SHTF scenario.  Sat phones will work but they are expensive.  CBs always work so do hand held radios (family ban, etc).

5.)  Guns... personal preference.  Unless its an invasion by communist block countries then use what your enemy uses.  Free ammo from the fallen.  Otherwise personal protection... 12 gauge 00 buck always does the trick.  I doubt you would be engaging targets at long distance.  But you can never have 2 many guns or 2 much ammo.  Also don't forget night vision.  The bad guys like the dark.  Just ask any cop who works midnights.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#25]
He guys, are girls allowed at this get-together?

I'd be interested in all the topics, but especially the fuel and medical topics.

I think someone said that they wouldn't mind teaching on some of the medical stuff?  I think that would be really envaluable for anyone in a SHTF situation.

This is going to be a get together with beer, right?  Since we are mostly strangers and meeting and greeting...

ETA  I'm in Lakewood, NJ
        any weekend time slot would be fine with me as long as it isn't a last minute decision
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#26]
All are welcome to come!
Anyone who wants to come on the 28th IM me and let me know where your from so I can pick a place that is good for us all
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
What the heck do you need to attend for!?  You already bugged out of Jersey
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I can likely attend, especially if we meet at a range (cherry ridge or dix) for some pre meeting shooting.  

ETA: The main topic should the best way to FMJ's tent city/arfcom sanctuary in PA.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Youse guys need to figure out a meeting place!  I'm considering coming, my location is: your destination...

Any suggestions where to meet?

I was thinking of Cherry Ridge Range at the club house, but I have to see if we are allowed to meet there. I dont know what the guest rules are for meetings. I think your allowed 2 guests in order to shoot but I dont know about non-shooting guests and the use of the club house. Anyon know?

We also need a topic of discussion for that day. Anyone interested in starting one of the topics above?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Any suggestions where to meet?

I was thinking of Cherry Ridge Range at the club house, but I have to see if we are allowed to meet there. I dont know what the guest rules are for meetings. I think your allowed 2 guests in order to shoot but I dont know about non-shooting guests and the use of the club house. Anyon know?

We also need a topic of discussion for that day. Anyone interested in starting one of the topics above?

As an alternate venue, most public libraries have conference rooms for use.  You generally need a library card and have to reserve in advance.

I'll offer the Morris County Library located near Morristown, NJ which I've used for study groups previously: Here

Nice and quiet, private, and a fairly central location near the intersection of I-80 and I-287.  ~30-40min drive from Ft. Lee on weekends.

If this is OK, I'll reserve a room for the 28th.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Update: I spoke with the library, reserved a conference room for the 28th from noon-4pm.  

Doesn't cost anything.

Let's get a consensus on the location so I can let this room go if we're not going to use it.  

If everyone interested could indicate either a "go" or an alternate location they can arrange?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm probably not going as it's a bit far from me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#35]
A library would be a good place to meet. We can pull up maps and have access to computers, as well as books.  The next thing we have to decide is what topic do we want to discuss for our first meeting. Maybe a BO route would be best for the first meeting since that would be one of the most important issues. Once we determine where we are going and how far it is, we can figure out what we need for the trip.

Lets make our meeting at 12 o'clock
Now we have a time, date and topic. Now we need to agree on a location.
I posted a poll but think a library is a good idea for the reasons listed above. When we get to the guns and ammo topic we can do it at the range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Standing by - TL how did you do at CR? Good talking to you this weekend and I'll
catch up with you on the 28th.
Ed
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
To add a little "umph" to your meeting guys I would like to report that both Newsmax and Fox News.com are running stories advising that the CDC has now indicated that we should stockpile food, water, and medicines.  Doesn't look like they are limiting it to 72 hours worth of supplies now.  The Fox news report indicates that "experts both inside and outside the government warned of a medical crisis if ... would likely interrupt nearly every aspect of normal life, as schools, workplaces, grocery stores and even utilities shut down".  They are putting it in context of a pandemic of bird flu.  However, they do indicate a highly pathogenic virus like "bird flu".  Putting on my tinfoil hat I'm beginning to wonder if they are not trying to warn us of something else that is coming down the pike without panicking us.  On the other hand, maybe they are just trying to scare the sheeple so they can ask for more funding.

Brett
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Great pointer, here's the story you referenced:

Fox News

Quoted:
To add a little "umph" to your meeting guys I would like to report that both Newsmax and Fox News.com are running stories advising that the CDC has now indicated that we should stockpile food, water, and medicines.  

Brett

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I can likely attend, especially if we meet at a range (cherry ridge or dix) for some pre meeting shooting.  

ETA: The main topic should the best way to FMJ's tent city/arfcom sanctuary in PA.  

How big a plane can you pilot????

Who can parachute train????

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#41]
There are about 10 or 11 guys comming so far.
And so far it looks like most of the guys want to meet in the library

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Yup.  Dix is gaining and I enjoyed that range but two concerns:

1.) I'm not sure we'd have enough Dix club members to sponsor the guests.

2.) Kinda noisy to be having a discussion, even in the classroom w/ people parading thru to use the pisser.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yup.  Dix is gaining and I enjoyed that range but two concerns:

1.) I'm not sure we'd have enough Dix club members to sponsor the guests.

2.) Kinda noisy to be having a discussion, even in the classroom w/ people parading thru to use the pisser.

Going there to shoot or TALK?

Outsiders hearing a part of the meeting maybe more problematic - walk-ins bad, eaves-droppers bad. My $.02.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What the heck do you need to attend for!?  You already bugged out of Jersey

FMJunkie could give a few pointers on how to "BUG OUT" to "PA".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#45]
I would consider attending this meeting only if there were some shooting. My carbines have cobwebs DAMMIT !!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I would consider attending this meeting only if there were some shooting. My carbines have cobwebs DAMMIT !!

If I bring donuts, will you come???
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#47]
UPDATE: I have the reservation paperwork ready to send in to the library, from the looks of things it's the winner thus far.

I'd like to shoot also, but the weather at end of Jan is unpredictable and having the meeting indoors at Dix is problematic as described above.  

I considered that we could pull the vehicles off to the side near the archery range, and this would be OK in better seasonal weather, but in a Winter conditions it's problematic.

I propose we have the first meeting at the library indoors, then meet up again in the Spring at Dix.  The weather will be more cooperative, and hopefully their new management will have stabilized by then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
UPDATE: I have the reservation paperwork ready to send in to the library, from the looks of things it's the winner thus far.

I'd like to shoot also, but the weather at end of Jan is unpredictable and having the meeting indoors at Dix is problematic as described above.  

I considered that we could pull the vehicles off to the side near the archery range, and this would be OK in better seasonal weather, but in a Winter conditions it's problematic.

I propose we have the first meeting at the library indoors, then meet up again in the Spring at Dix.  The weather will be more cooperative, and hopefully their new management will have stabilized by then.

Groovey, so it's Jan 28, 1200... do you have the address for the library so I can mapquest it.  I could get lost in a paper bag.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:10:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Groovey, so it's Jan 28, 1200... do you have the address for the library so I can mapquest it.  I could get lost in a paper bag.

www.gti.net/mocolib1/ has directions from most venues, and the street address if you'd like to look it up.

Just for convenience, it's:

30 East Hanover Avenue
Whippany, NJ
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gti.net/mocolib1/ has directions from most venues, and the street address if you'd like to look it up.

Just for convenience, it's:

30 East Hanover Avenue
Whippany, NJ

Thank you, and thanks Antonio for im-ing it!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top