Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2008 12:37:45 PM EDT
MDTS Combative Shotgun Skills 1 – Saturday April 5th , Marietta NY

Minimum 6/Maximum 12

The MDTS Combative Shotgun Skills class is designed to start you off on the proper path to fighting with a shotgun. An effective and efficient platform in which to fight with a shotgun is introduced & utilized. This class is ideal for home defense with your smoothbore. It is set up for the Remington 870, 1100, 1187 and Mossberg 500 and 590 platforms but other platforms can be used in the class. Course content will include but is not limited to: Safety, Patterning, Ammunition & Selection, Modifications & Options, Four Points of Contact & Mounting, Vehicle/Home Ready Mode, Tactical Ready Mode, Ready Positions, Shooting Responses, Combat/Emergency loading & Transition to Handgun, Tactical Loading, Slug Select Drill and more..

Equipment: Ammo- 200 Bird shot, 25 00Buck Shot, 25 Slug, and 50 Pistol. Eye and Ear protection, pistol and minimum of 2 magazines (if you own a pistol), appropriate clothing for weather, H2O

Time: 11am-4pm (5 hours)

Location: Otisco Lake Rod & Gun Club, Marietta NY (20 min. southwest of Syracuse, 1.5hr from Rochester)
Otisco Lake Rod & Gun Club

Fee: $75

More information & Payment options:
MDTS EVENTS

*A pistol is not required to attend this class.

Contact [email protected] to secure a spot in this class
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
List as of 1/29
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I am looking forward to putting a few rounds through the Benelli.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the possibility of employment exams and/or interviews coming up or I would pay up now, otherwise you can count me in on this one! Can't wait for some carbine stuff.. hint hint
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have the possibility of employment exams and/or interviews coming up or I would pay up now, otherwise you can count me in on this one! Can't wait for some carbine stuff.. hint hint

I ran a basic shotgun workshop  a year or so back for some of my friends. I had them bring a carbine as well, as I ran some timed drills for both platforms at the end of the day. If you add in distance and need for reloads, its no comparison. But limited # of shots at close range, the SG holds it own fairly well. Until the need for precision rears its ugly head.

As for carbine, I do believe another full day of training will be coming sometime soon in the spring.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
3 different Carbine Events in the planning stages at this time. Keep your eyes on the events page & your email for course annoucements!

ALSO- Goodorbit is putting the finishing touches on the Goodorbit Tacticool Barricades TM (Patent Pending) that will be used extensively in the Combative Carbine 3 & 4 courses! A lot of fun planned for 08'.

SG Class List as of 1/30
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole

Link Posted: 1/30/2008 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Chris,

Count me in for the SG class - gotta see if my 870 works as good as it looks.

Great way to celebrate #61, too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]

61! Holy Shnike's! We will have a chair available for you.

SG Class List as of 1/30
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

61! Holy Shnike's! We will have a chair available for you.

j/k buddy.

For an "old fart" who made it through SouthNarc intact and ready for more, we can probably leave the chair at home
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#9]
This is VERY true. A lot of the young guys won't participate in that course for ? some reason and Prambo held his own just fine!
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not tough - I'm just so screwed up the nerve damage doesn't let me know I hurt like hell!

Thanks for the compliments , appreciated. Gotta pump more iron, that 870 is heavy!!

I hear SouthNarc may be back soon - yippee!
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hear SouthNarc may be back soon - yippee!

Yes, yes he will. Maybe more than once.

July he will be here for AMIS (Armed Movement In Structures). Once I firm up the details to my satisfaction course announcements and emails will go out. Keep your eyes open.

Link Posted: 2/6/2008 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#12]
SG Class List as of 2/6
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Steve K + 1
Dan V.
John P.
Dave S
Mike M

This class is full.
Link Posted: 2/8/2008 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]
SG Class List as of 2/8
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Steve K + 1
Dan V.
John P.
Dave S
Mike M

This class is full

Backup List-
MCD

Link Posted: 2/13/2008 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
ATTN- Guys, after running through the POI the round count has been changed. Please bring 200 rounds BS, 25 OOBuck, 25 slugs and 50 pistol. Thanks! Chris

SG Class List as of 2/13
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Steve K + 1
Dan V.
John P.
Dave S
Mike M

This class is full

Backup List
-
MCD
RG
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
ATTN- Guys, after running through the POI the round count has been changed. Please bring 200 rounds BS, 25 OOBuck, 25 slugs and 50 pistol. Thanks! Chris

SG Class List as of 2/18
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Steve K + 1
Dan V.
John P.
Dave S
Mike M

This class is full

Backup List- We are currently looking at dates for a second class, stay tuned!
MCD
RG
JK

Link Posted: 2/27/2008 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#16]
SG Class List as of 2/27
EvilEyesWatchin
CB
Don M
Thom O
Notarpole
Prambo
Steve K + 1
Dan V.
John P.
Dave S
Mike M

This class is full

Backup List- We are currently looking at dates for a second class, stay tuned!
MCD
RG
JK
Chris H
Marc W

Link Posted: 3/20/2008 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Chris,

Got the verdict on the knee today - another arthroscopy . Don't know the date yet but it may cause me to bail on the shotgun course.

I will let you know ASAP so someone can take my place. Hopefully I'll be up and running for Sully and SouthNarc .

Wally
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Two spots open

Contacting back up list people, please contact me if you are interested.

I'm interested....if no takers from the back-up list.  Any spots open?  Thanks

IM sent as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Chris,

The op will be 11 APR - so I'm in - gimpy or not .

Let me now if there is still a spot open so I can order ammo.

Thanks.

W
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Chris,

Sent ya email about the SG class.

I may be on for it and will probably have some Pathfinder guys. If you're still full thats cool. I'll just catch the next.

Pathfinder1
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Chris,

Thanks for the plug.

My suggestion to folks is to watch both our websites for training that will compliment each program.

Bottom line is MDTS and Pathfinder have access to instructors, resources and training sites that can work to enhance each program and thereby the students.

Factor us in.

Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Chris,

I'll find your address and send a check ASAP.

Wally
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
We enjoyed a few hours of quality range time today, and as usual, always learn something of value!

"Someone" learned the hazards of cold weather gloves and tactical shotshell reloading (a hard lesson I learned a few cold weekends ago) Possibly a picture may be forthcoming.

Our friend DV learned that is was a "very bad idea" to put a cheap CAR-style pistol grip conversion stock on his 870-and then actually shoot the crap out of the gun. We looked down to find the locking latch half-buried in the snow after ~2 hours of trigger time, at which point the stock just fell off the buffer tube. I don't think the buffer tube alone would make a very comfortable stock

I learned I like my M1S90 WAY better than an 870 (well, I already knew that!). But the Benelli certainly has quirks of its own.

This should be a very enjoyable class. See you guys a week from Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
What are you guys running for slings? The only time I ever use one is when I am actually walking around varmint hunting. I have a cheap single sling I'll probably use. What say you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
A 2 point would be best, although I am still partial to a 3 point (which I can quickly convert to a 2 point for african carry as needed).
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If it rains tomorrow class is cancelled. I can't shoot in this wet crappy weather.

The mud will make the bear crawls a bit less enjoyable than normal
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If it rains tomorrow class is cancelled. I can't shoot in this wet crappy weather.

Bring your waterproof cape!
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#36]
It ended up a beautiful spring afternoon. I want to thank all the guys (and lady) for a great afternoon of training. I think the idea that a shotgun (especially a  pump action) is a 100% reliable platform was soundly put to bed today.

2 of 3 Benellis made it through the day malfunction free (although I started to tac reload a round obtained from a pocket BACKWARDS during rolling thunder but caught it!), but only a single 870 (out of several pumps, Rems, Mossbergs, a Winchester, and a Norinco) went 100%. Actually, I am not sure about Fry's 870. I did not see that go down today. The early module on malfunction clearances came in handy as we stepped up the intensity of the shooting drills. The Saiga had a rough afternoon as well, mostly mag related. The safety also required a bit of AK-smithing.

"Rolling Thunder" hit a few calm spots, but everyone worked through it!

At the end of the class, the weight of the guns and accumulated recoil of ~150-175 low base birdshot rds, and a handful of slugs,  in 4 hours of shooting, had taken a bit of a toll. All were glad NOT to have spent the afternoon shooting magnum slugs and buckshot. As this class was about learning proper manipulation of the platform, fighting recoil is a detriment.

I believe MDTS will offer this class again in July.

Again, good job everyone!
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Today I was late to work, sun burned, and smelling like gun powder. I loved every minute of it!

Once again I walked away from an MDTS class feeling ten times as confident as when I went in, which was little to none with the shotgun platform. As stated before me, the thought that a shotgun is the most reliable weapon was found to be complete BS. Unfortunately I found out that putting a shell in the tube backwards can really slow down the rolling of the thunder two nice muddy whacks and it came back into play.

I was fairly worried that my $150 Norinco 870 knock-off was going to get thrashed by the higher end guns and was relieved to see that all malfunctions were operator induced and it ran just fine. My biggest surprise was the usage of slings. I bought a Vikings Tactics sling just for this course, fully expecting to wear it around my neck and let it hang. Not only did we not use that method but I found the african carry to be more comfortable and viable, especially if you were to move into bilateral weapon usage. I find that each course I take from Chris is something of a culmination of the previous courses. Past combative pistol really came in to play when we moved to transitions, and then the ammo management and after action drills. For anyone sitting on the fence about taking some training, you will not be disappointed and surely as hooked as I am.
Tom
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Who's that old guy with the flannel shirt? He looks dangerous and forgetful. I hope you gave him a senior citizen discount Chris.

Looks like you guys had a good time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Who's that old guy with the flannel shirt? He looks dangerous and forgetful. I hope you gave him a senior citizen discount Chris.

Finger on the trigger while drawing is a NO NO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:55:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Looks like you guys had a good time.

Sweet Jesus, if the old guy sees this, can I have your .50? You sure won't be needing it for where you'll be going

Actually, those B&W pics are pretty damned cool. I love the hulls on the ground in the rolling thunder pic. There were certainly a pile of them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Finger on the trigger while drawing is a NO NO.

Yes, I will bring that to his attention.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again Chris for the great class!  It was nice meeting everyone, all good people.  This being my first shotgun class, I definitely learned a great deal.  I had previously looked at the shotgun as a relatively foolproof, user friendly firearm......well, my mind was certainly changed after yesterdays class  Time consuming malfunction clearance and loading paired with 150+ rounds in 4 hours makes for a sore body today.  I've got a lot to practice, that's for sure.  The pics and video look good, thanks for posting them.  I'll be back for more, I've got to rest first though.  See you at the armorers course in 2 weeks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top