Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2023 3:09:30 PM EDT
I'll start off by stating that I'm retarded (see pre-year 2000 0311) and that drives a lot of my mindset. I run an esstac Daeodon with a pair of Large SAPI Hesco 4400's and my carrier with water bag, mags, IFAK, radio, etc my PC tips in at around 40lbs. I personally use my gear as a training tool in the rugged area where I live and in the past 2-3 years I have often considered getting lighter plates, but my Jarhead mentality is to keep the heavier plates, as they help me maintain my endurance under load and are, in effect, a training tool. Now, would I like lighter plates? Sure. They would help me move faster, breathe a little easier (my 4400's are curved, but they still suck) and offer the same protection as my 4400's; but, I force myself to keep using them. Has anyone else gone through a similar debacle? I am not AD anymore, I use my gear simply to stay as dialed-in as I can be and it's always good to have gear in case you need it. I appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't sound crazy . Don't people wear weighted exercise vests as a work out ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My rma plates are 8 lbs a piece I believe. Heavy compared to other plates out there. Former 0311 also. 05-09. My gear is a mix of infantry/ long term ops and a lighter profile.

I don't mind the weight, am in shape and can assume I won't be forced to hump 20 k for time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I use ar500 plates for the weight and don't worry about getting good plates all soaked with sweat and damaged throwing the PC around and keep a good PC all setup the same way as your training one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#4]
I'm poor and was stupid about plates back then, so both my sets are heavy.

One carrier is RMA 1155MC's and 6 pounds of 6x8 side plates, whole thing tips in at 30 pounds with three 30 round mags.

The other is a set of Highcom 17s or whatever, 7 pounds a piece, no side plates.  Feels like a feather to me.

I try and do a three mile walk, in 35 minutes, four nights a week, and bang out 50 rapid squats with that first PC and a 40 to 75 pound kid on my shoulders.  I don't even bring those plates in the house, they sit in the garage waiting on tomorrow's outing.

I'm a totally broken record on this, but moving everything I could to my belt made a world of difference to me.  I may not be carrying a lighter load, but it sure feels like it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
I use ar500 plates for the weight and don't worry about getting good plates all soaked with sweat and damaged throwing the PC around and keep a good PC all setup the same way as your training one.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I'm no operator, nor former .mil, but this is the way.

My setup only adds a little over 20 pounds, but it's better than nothing for my old grey haired self.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

That's exactly what I've thought about doing.
Get tbe heaviest steel plate's I can find cheap (  steel capable of stopping some threat rounds just in case ) and use them for workout's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top