User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dissident:

But shooting the guns is serious business.  You are not taking the business seriously enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Sometimes I'm good at shooting the guns and sometimes I'm bad at shooting the guns

But shooting the guns is serious business.  You are not taking the business seriously enough.

If u don't dry fire a billion times per day and don't go through 9 barrels a year then ur gay and must give up all firearms activities
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#2]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

That is going to be a no from me. The TA33/110 has a more forgiving exit pupil when you set it side by side with a 4x (TA02 LED in  this case). made this a while back for arg and just converted the webm to gif.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExb2J2M28yZG5neWJiaHRrcHZ2dmplZnp0YWYxcW1zdWFvemlwOW94bCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/QiTZ5IGAleVRuZIJ9U/giphy.gif
View Quote

This video actually shows exactly what I’m talking about.

At optimal FOV the TA33 objective shadows out with little camera movement. While the eye relief is a bit far for the TA02, as soon as the camera gets a view of the lens, the reticle is there and stays visible the entire time the camera pans across it. That is exit pupil forgiveness. (Though the distance is a little too far and reduced the FOV further than needed.)

It’s the simple physics of trading FOV for eye box but doing it manually. There are other optics you can do this with but the ACOG lends itself particularly well to it, having an objective lens that’s smaller than the prisms true FOV. This means it loses FOV at a lower rate.  

And that’s exactly what Trijicon did to the TA50 to create the TA33. It’s just a TA50 with a FOV reduction to force you into using the peak eye box, because no one wants to see anything but peak FOV.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]

If u don't dry fire a billion times per day and don't go through 9 barrels a year then ur gay and must give up all firearms activities
View All Quotes
Sometimes I'm good at shooting the guns and sometimes I'm bad at shooting the guns

#rookie_numbers

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Only 9 barrels? For a whole year? Sounds like you already gave up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Apparently good glass, good bipods and good accuracy aren’t either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

Bull barrels, bolt actions, heavy scopes and Atlas bipods are not for me.

Apparently good glass, good bipods and good accuracy aren’t either.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

The TA33 just has a FOV reduction to make people mount it further forward where the eye box is best. Most ACOG’s except the TA11 have over efficient prism designs, meaning the prism is capable of more than the objective lens size is.

Mount your TA31 an inch further forward. The eye box will be better in both eye relief and exit pupil forgiveness but you’ll see the FOV reduced with shadowing. Now imagine adding a ring on the front to block out the objective shadowing.

Boom. The concept of the TA33. (They just moved the objective forward on a TA50 to achieve the effect.)

If you go to Trijicon’s social media you’ll see their employees never run their ACOG’s at close eye relief. They’re all 3-4” out on TA31’s and only move forward when they need the peak FOV. They’re doing it right, but your average person will lose their mind at the thought of using an optic at peak eye box instead of peak FOV. So people mount them at peak FOV where the eye box is worst.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ben:
I haven't really messed with the TA33. Is it really better than a TA31/RMR combo?

The TA33 just has a FOV reduction to make people mount it further forward where the eye box is best. Most ACOG’s except the TA11 have over efficient prism designs, meaning the prism is capable of more than the objective lens size is.

Mount your TA31 an inch further forward. The eye box will be better in both eye relief and exit pupil forgiveness but you’ll see the FOV reduced with shadowing. Now imagine adding a ring on the front to block out the objective shadowing.

Boom. The concept of the TA33. (They just moved the objective forward on a TA50 to achieve the effect.)

If you go to Trijicon’s social media you’ll see their employees never run their ACOG’s at close eye relief. They’re all 3-4” out on TA31’s and only move forward when they need the peak FOV. They’re doing it right, but your average person will lose their mind at the thought of using an optic at peak eye box instead of peak FOV. So people mount them at peak FOV where the eye box is worst.

I’ve tried to explain this very same issue and correction only to realize some people are to stupid to understand changing heights and location forward or backward on any scope is critical. I’d bet 99% of the nay sayers have never tried relocating the glass and rely 100% on the internet to make up their minds for them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By adavis:

Dude RePp knows a fuckload (just like Glassaholic).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adavis:

We’re talking past each other. Different priorities. I don’t want a heavy ass bolt action gamer gun.

As for the bandwagon effect, most people have Vortex optics. Not because they are the best, but because they practically give them away at matches and they are good enough to win with.

Dude RePp knows a fuckload (just like Glassaholic).

You can’t fix stupid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#10]

This video actually shows exactly what I’m talking about.

At optimal FOV the TA33 objective shadows out with little camera movement. While the eye relief is a bit far for the TA02, as soon as the camera gets a view of the lens, the reticle is there and stays visible the entire time the camera pans across it. That is exit pupil forgiveness. (Though the distance is a little too far and reduced the FOV further than needed.)

It’s the simple physics of trading FOV for eye box but doing it manually. There are other optics you can do this with but the ACOG lends itself particularly well to it, having an objective lens that’s smaller than the prisms true FOV. This means it loses FOV at a lower rate.  

And that’s exactly what Trijicon did to the TA50 to create the TA33. It’s just a TA50 with a FOV reduction to force you into using the peak eye box, because no one wants to see anything but peak FOV.
View Quote

I think this is making more sense after reading it a couple more times.

I am not from the military but notice in a lot of their pictures (the ones where they arent doing the sideways chicken wing thing), they are shooting like this. A bit more than 1.5 inches, you could probably fit a small cat in that eye box.
Attachment Attached File

The ACOGs are both usable as long as you can chase around the circle and see the reticle (and even better compared to a 1x FFP lpvo, you can see the reticle even if the view is dark). But, putting both of them on a gun, and extending the stock out far enough that it doesnt bump into head mounted night vision which is folded up, I can see more area around the reticle with the 3.5x. That may be due to a combination of factors like the different magnification and objective size, not sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

The only time anything on an AR hit me in the face was when the Mexican police swung it like a club.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:

Or choose the sight that doesn’t require stock adjustment any time you change position.

I can drop into and position and not have to worry about it with a TA33, standing to a barrier to prone all work well.  

I have owned several TA31s, the TA33 is simply faster for me when moving and nose to CH isn’t as easy to maintain.  The TA31 is less forgiving when you are not in stable positions.  So if you want to take the time to “build positions” the TA 31 should work well, but if you want to be faster… the TA33 shines.

If your TA31 is hitting you in the face your connection to the gun sucks. I mean it really fuckin blows. Anyway, shoot whatever you like shooting.

The only time anything on an AR hit me in the face was when the Mexican police swung it like a club.

Mexican cops

We're the Millers (2013) - Just Cradle the Balls Scene (2/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#13]
Originally Posted By Burtg:

Well. Your commie infested site won’t let me post pics.  

But last 2 times I shot the Geisselle gas gun matches I placed 3rd and 5th.  I’m sure you shoot some comps what’s your placement

If you fix your site Il post some pre 86 belt feds and others lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Burtg:

Let’s see pics of your gas guns. I’ll wait.

Well. Your commie infested site won’t let me post pics.  

But last 2 times I shot the Geisselle gas gun matches I placed 3rd and 5th.  I’m sure you shoot some comps what’s your placement

If you fix your site Il post some pre 86 belt feds and others lol

So you lost and you’re still too poor to buy a membership.

ZCO. The optic of semi-finalists.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

I think this is making more sense after reading it a couple more times.

I am not from the military but notice in a lot of their pictures (the ones where they arent doing the sideways chicken wing thing), they are shooting like this. A bit more than 1.5 inches, you could probably fit a small cat in that eye box.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/download_jpg-3208011.JPG

The ACOGs are both usable as long as you can chase around the circle and see the reticle (and even better compared to a 1x FFP lpvo, you can see the reticle even if the view is dark). But, putting both of them on a gun, and extending the stock out far enough that it doesnt bump into head mounted night vision which is folded up, I can see more area around the reticle with the 3.5x. That may be due to a combination of factors like the different magnification and objective size, not sure.
View Quote

There’s also the element of BAC. BAC works in similar fashion to occluded eye. So the reduction in FOV theoretically might make BAC more efficient in terms of speed. I do however think that picture is likely staged as that seems a bit far.

It’s almost dual purpose. Far is fast, close is vast (head/eye placement).

The TA11 likely keeps better FOV due to the prism and objective geometry being a closer match. I did however find the TA11 eye box to be a bit less forgiving in exit pupil error than my TA50 doing it that way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Coming in top 5 at that match means you're pretty good. You must be better though. You should come out in June. If you can place higher than Abe I'll pay your match fee.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

View Quote

I feel like that guy will not be coming to Bill's place in June. Not to the gas gun match, or the thing the weekend after.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]

I feel like that guy will not be coming to Bill's place in June. Not to the gas gun match, or the thing the weekend after.
View Quote

You're probably not wrong.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]

There’s also the element of BAC. BAC works in similar fashion to occluded eye. So the reduction in FOV theoretically might make BAC more efficient in terms of speed. I do however think that picture is likely staged as that seems a bit far.

It’s almost dual purpose. Far is fast, close is vast (head/eye placement).

The TA11 likely keeps better FOV due to the prism and objective geometry being a closer match. I did however find the TA11 eye box to be a bit less forgiving in exit pupil error than my TA50 doing it that way.
View Quote

BAC works great if you occlude the optic.

I was not able to make it work with the TA-31 and my eye balls.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]

BAC works great if you occlude the optic.

I was not able to make it work with the TA-31 and my eye balls.
View Quote

It was tricky for me, too, but I got it. I know others who weren't able to get it down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Come shoot with me in Iowa and I’ll shoot with you in Pennsyltucky.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Yeah see if you are going to invite me to a match no one has heard of you're supposed to post a practiscore link.

I don't have to post a practiscore link to the matches I'm shooting in June because you can get to one of them through the Geissele website and the other one, well, people have heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#24]

Yeah see if you are going to invite me to a match no one has heard of you're supposed to post a practiscore link.

I don't have to post a practiscore link to the matches I'm shooting in June because you can get to one of them through the Geissele website and the other one, well, people have heard of it.
View All Quotes

Was I supposed to agree to fly to Pennsyltucky to play a specific game in order to prove my March scope is the preeminent gas gun scope for said game, when that’s not why I bought it in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Was I supposed to agree to fly to Pennsyltucky to play a game in order to prove my March scope is the preeminent gas gun scope for said game, when that’s not why I bought it in the first place?
View Quote

I've seen March scopes. They're aight. All the geriatric fucks I know that use them in CMP can shoot that game better than me, and that's cool. The WOA house brand scope and the Nightforce scope also fuck, and that game is so autistically restrictive and specific it really doesn't make much difference that I can perceive.

Anyway, no, you were supposed to post a practiscore link to a gas gun match in Iowa.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#26]

I've seen March scopes. They're aight. All the geriatric fucks I know that use them in CMP can shoot that game better than me, and that's cool. The WOA house brand scope and the Nightforce scope also fuck, and that game is so autistically restrictive and specific it really doesn't make much difference that I can perceive.

Anyway, no, you were supposed to post a practiscore link to a gas gun match in Iowa.
View All Quotes

Was I supposed to agree to fly to Pennsyltucky to play a game in order to prove my March scope is the preeminent gas gun scope for said game, when that’s not why I bought it in the first place?

I don’t think we have those. My club (Milan Rifle Club) only has CMP service rifle at their 600 yard range.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]

I don’t think we have those. My club (Milan Rifle Club) only has CMP service rifle at their 600 yard range.
View Quote

I'm not eligible for social security I'm not driving that far to shoot a CMP match.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#28]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Whoa whoa whoa.

I like CMP matches.
View Quote

I do too but not enough to drive to Iowa.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]

I do too but not enough to drive to Iowa.
View Quote

Heartland is right next to Iowa......

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Having seen many people shoot BAC, I think how close you are depends on how your eyes are collimated.

This also seems to affect how some people are awful at shooting NVGs passive, and others have zero changes from day.
View Quote

I generally don't have issues shooting passive with night vision, depending on the optics and the settings. It usually helps if I can breathe properly and have the use of both hands. The 6moa RMR is also definitely not ideal, I make it work.

I'm willing to try BAC with ACOG again for science.

At the time I was isssued a TA31, I was transitioning from M16 with irons. There was some CCO dabbles sprinkled in, not anywhere near enough to get used to both eyes open shooting with the CCO). Since then I've done a lot of shooting with dots, including some drills with the dot occluded to reinforce target focus. I'm definitely better at being target focused now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#33]
You cannot change my mind.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_3611-3091073.jpg
View Quote

Yea because clearly I need 4x or 8x for my environment. OP you are a clown.
screenshot software
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Innawoods_larper:

https://i.postimg.cc/j2y2pyH8/20240312-161925.jpgscreenshot software
View All Quotes

You neva leave dem dar wuds?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Roads exist.

I can shoot 600m in my dense swamp.
View Quote

I can laze 500 m from my front porch and I live in rural ridge and valley Appalachia. And even disregarding distance, there's a lot of dense pseudo-hedgerow and reed/bamboo style microterrain around here.

Some people don't know what they don't know.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I might actually come to that, depends on work schedule and how bad classic messes it up for everyone else at work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Roads exist.

View All Quotes

Roads exist.

Roads? Curvy as fuck where I live. But have fun hanging around linear danger areas. You won't catch me staying for long around those, especially when shit goes south.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Seeing as this thread seems to have more ACOG experts than the AMU, how’s the eyebox and eye relief of the SpecterDR compared to the TA31?

4X is the only ACOG I had time behind before getting a gen 2 Razor, and that thing sucked a whole penis. Like down to the balls. Mounting it back far enough meant replacing my rear sight and getting Larue’s rearward-biased QD mount, and the eye relief meant getting smacked in the glasses under recoil.

Razor’s much, much friendlier, but it’s a brick, and the reticle’s pretty spartan.

What say the billy badasses of GD? Is the Elcan still worthwhile in the day and age of LPVO’s?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Roads? Curvy as fuck where I live. But have fun hanging around linear danger areas. You won't catch me staying for long around those, especially when shit goes south.
View All Quotes

Roads exist.

Stay in dem wuds and stay deadly
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#43]

I might actually come to that, depends on work schedule and how bad classic messes it up for everyone else at work.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

IIRC, OP lives in a jungle / swamp.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

View Quote

PID is a thing....magnification helps immensely with that.  Even inna da wuuds...  Don't go shootin' Buck when it's Bambi season.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

That'd be cool, brother. It'd be cool to meet ya.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Soon OP will live in waterworld and only irons will matter.
Page / 20
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top