Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Need a impact wrench (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If just doing a job or two, I would get Harbor Freight.  I’ve got the Earthquake 1/2 inch that I use on farm equipment.  It gets abused but I have yet seen a nut that it wouldn’t break loose.
I also have Milwaukee and Makita.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Efl15:
I’m in the m12 and m18 battery family. Consider m12 impacts since they have a stubby and right angle which can be helpful in tight spots.
View Quote

I initially bought the 2554 M12 3/8” stubby impact wrench. Rated for 250 ft lbs. I found it to struggle even with lug nuts. Busting 40 year old corroded fasteners loose, forget about it. Maybe something isn’t right with it or that’s the way it is, but it just doesn’t have much oomph. It’s really only any good for very small jobs.

So I bought the 2962 M18 1/2” Mid-Torque impact wrench when someone posted a great sale price on them last Christmas. This thing has been fantastic. It’s a great all around impact wrench. 650 ft lbs, not too big, not too heavy. Still gets into a lot of spots and isn’t unwieldy. If I was limited to a single cordless impact wrench, this would be it.

On a side note, the Pittsburgh Pro impact sockets and Pittsburgh impact socket extensions from Harbor Freight have been an excellent value. I’m not saying they are just as good as anything else for professional use, but for homeowner/shade tree mechanic things, they are WAY more than good enough.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

You are 100% right, I wasn't thinking about that.  I use my Ryobi 1/2" impact for those.  It is not a beast at all, and not something I'd recommend unless some was already heavily invested in Ryobi equipment, but it has been able to handle my F150 and Honda Pilot every time.

https://i.postimg.cc/q7TGVDVs/screenshot-813.jpg
View Quote

Do you typically lay everything out first?

How to turn a 1 hr job into a 2hr job
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By captblue1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You are 100% right, I wasn't thinking about that.  I use my Ryobi 1/2" impact for those.  It is not a beast at all, and not something I'd recommend unless some was already heavily invested in Ryobi equipment, but it has been able to handle my F150 and Honda Pilot every time.

https://i.postimg.cc/q7TGVDVs/screenshot-813.jpg

Always.  It makes the job go SOOOOO much faster.  You aren't looking for the right size of anything, everything is right there.  I make a note of the sizes I will need, and torque specs, and have all that ready and laid out before starting a job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a dinosaur, still running my old Chicago Pneumatic after 40 years...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, invest in left hand drill bits and bolt extractors if you’re going to own an impact wrench.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My lil 1/2” drive Atomic Dewalt makes pulling lug nuts a pleasure.

Milwaukee might be slightly better but yellow is at least US based in name. TTI (M, Rigid, Ryobi) is chicom owned and produced

For small jobs around the house I would probablynbuy craftsman if I did it again
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Milwaukee tools. My son is in heavy construction and they use them.
He has recently had to use one under water and it worked like a champ. Killed it eventually but Milwaukee replaced it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I grabbed one of those Hercules ultra torques from harbor freight. 5 year warranty and included battery and charger.

Fucker is powerful that's for sure.

Everything else I have is DeWalt though but this was a a great deal and went for it
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wlderdude:
The real question ought to be what battery ecosystem best suits your style.  

Milwaukee - I don't care what it costs, I want it to work, and I want to look perfshunal.  
Ryobi - I care what it costs, but I still want it to work.
Ridgid - I don't care what it weighs, I just want to abuse it and get free batteries (assuming it gets registered).
Harbor Freight - I don't care how I am perceived by my peers, I just gotta get this one job done.  
Hart (Wal-Mart) - I just don't care.
DeWalt - Not really sure who buys DeWalt, or why.  Some of them are good and some of it is rebadged Black and Decker junk.  Maybe they like yellow?  

I got into the Ridgid ecosystem many years ago for 18V and have been pretty happy.  They make a few different impact wrenches in various toque classes, but not as many as others.  My mid torque one has come through for me when I needed it, but sometimes just barely.  They have the lifetime service agreement, which has treated me pretty well over the years, but hasn't always worked out like I'd hoped.  Just make sure you follow the direction on registration.  They have some screaming good sales and clearance deals sometimes.  Sales of significant merit are pretty uncommon with the brands you asked about, at least in the 18V lineup.  

In truth, I know plenty of people happy with their DeWalt tools.  Do your research and know that just 'cause it's yellow, doesn't mean it's good.  

View Quote

You know, regardless of what GD thinks Dewalt massively outsells Milwaukee.

If you make an honest colorblind comparison between the two lines there isn't nearly as much difference as people would have you believe.
Some tools Red is better, some tools Yellow is, and 99.99% of users will never notice the difference.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Frankly not needed for a single brake job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If this is your first time doing brakes you don’t need to piss away money on something you’re not gonna use. Use a ratchet and socket.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't have a air compressor I would recommend a HF electric impact if you go battery it will be dead next year when you need it. Battery are grate for the pro but not the home owner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:
If this is your first time doing brakes you don’t need to piss away money on something you’re not gonna use. Use a ratchet and socket.
View Quote

Yeah, If you want to get something to make it easier get a brake caliper press.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bossco14] [#16]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Frankly not needed for a single brake job.
View Quote

I actually got two
vehicles to do a full brake and rotor job on.  I don’t mind spending the cash,just want something to spin them lugs off and bolts. I’m leaning towards a 1/2 inch. Guess I can’t go wrong with a Milwaukee or dewalt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
If you don't have a air compressor I would recommend a HF electric impact if you go battery it will be dead next year when you need it. Battery are grate for the pro but not the home owner.
View Quote

I’m still using Ryobi lithium batteries from 7 years ago.   Batteries only lasting a year is a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:

Just do this OP.
Why invest in an expensive battery and charger along with a tool designed for daily use that you might use once a year?

If you like pissing money away just so you can tell the guys at work you bought the most expensive atomic age option to take a couple tires off, go for it.

Just plug this into the wall.

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp-12-in-impact-wrench-with-rocker-switch-64120.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
I bought a corded 1/2" model from Harbor Freight.  It does the job for tire rotations and other similar car stuff.

Just do this OP.
Why invest in an expensive battery and charger along with a tool designed for daily use that you might use once a year?

If you like pissing money away just so you can tell the guys at work you bought the most expensive atomic age option to take a couple tires off, go for it.

Just plug this into the wall.

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp-12-in-impact-wrench-with-rocker-switch-64120.html
That's the one I use. It's been perfect for my needs so far.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Milwaukee 2767-20/thread
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Meche_03] [#20]
Either brand will work.  I have mostly DeWalt 20v, but have a few Milwaukee tools because of some killer deals I found.  

I've carried a big DeWalt 1/2" 20v in my truck for over 5 years.  I was driving multiple 650+ mile trips a month at my old job.  It helped change tires on my truck and other people's vehicles over the years.  Mostly just gets used for home mechanic jobs on 3 family cars and hobby farm equipment.

Acme tool 5ah starter kit with 2 free tools

It's an affiliate link, but the normal webpage offer doesn't have impacts as tool option

Get 2 different midsize impacts, 1/2" and 3/8"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
Milwaukee is better, but do you have any tools/batteries now?
View Quote

I agree, DeWalt is garbage compared to Milwaukee, not even close.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#22]
3/8 Nosch or whatever you have batteries for.
Not a 1/2 inch. How often would you use it? Just break the bolt and then use a 3/8.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
For those saying you don't need an impact for a brake job, they do make it a lot easier to remove the tire to get to the brakes.
View Quote

I've gotten more done on rusty brakes with a 24" breaker with the option of a 36" cheater bar, penetrating oil, and a torch that didnt add extra steps to the task to remove a busted or rounded fastener.

I tend to break more bolts using impacts, but in a hurry or compact location has a place.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#24]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
Not a 1/2 inch. How often would you use it? Just break the bolt and then use a 3/8.
View Quote

For removing lugnuts and any other work I need a good impact wrench for?  Sorry, I'll take the 1/2".

I'd only want a 3/8" if it was REALLY small for getting into tight places, for smaller fasteners.  I use a small 1/4" impact and a big 1/2" impact the most.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jb31] [#25]
Originally Posted By mike3000fl:
Unless you have to remove an axle nut, you should be just fine using a breaker bar and ratchet.

Save the money for a torque wrench. That will be much more useful for that job in getting things torqued to spec. You will need a lower range one for the caliper bolts and a higher range one for the lug nuts. Harbor freight is your friend
View Quote

Fuck.  That.  I have all the things, but there is zero chance I'm working on a truck with hand tools these days.  Depending on what you are doing, they can save hours.  There is no way I'd give up my battery tools.

Edit: I get your point though.  If he didn't have any tools and is new to vehicle, then start there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Gas Powered Milwaukee Impact Wrench Because it's Illegal
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#27]

For removing lugnuts and any other work I need a good impact wrench for?  Sorry, I'll take the 1/2".

I'd only want a 3/8" if it was REALLY small for getting into tight places, for smaller fasteners.  I use a small 1/4" impact and a big 1/2" impact the most.
View All Quotes

I am slowing looking for a mid-torque.  They are a lot less to carry for trail repairs.  I don't usually need all the torque of the 1/2" and the 1/4" has a habit of breaking the 1/2" socket adapter.  I am hoping the mid torque will span that gap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#28]

I’m still using Ryobi lithium batteries from 7 years ago.   Batteries only lasting a year is a thing of the past.
View Quote

Same here.  I have had my 18v Ryobi stuff for 12y and the original batteries are still good.  They aren't as strong as new ones, but they are far from end of life yet.

That experience made me go Ryobi on my 40v equipment too.  But those batteries are 1y disposable guys.  Waste of money.  I think the added heat from the 40v architecture kills them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jb31:

I am slowing looking for a mid-torque.  They are a lot less to carry for trail repairs.  I don't usually need all the torque of the 1/2" and the 1/4" has a habit of breaking the 1/2" socket adapter.  I am hoping the mid torque will span that gap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb31:

If a 3/8" could have enough torque to reliability handle lug nuts, I'd be OK with that, especially for a portable in vehicle solution.  I agree on the 1/4" snapping the socket adapters for heavy work.  BTDT  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Milwaukee.   Unless you have batteries for another brand just buy the Milwaukee.   Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I went through this debate recently.  Compact brushless 1/2” Milwaukee won for me just based on buy once cry once.  I don’t have any regrets.  I already had some other items so that helped.  Purchase from an authorized retailer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:47:41 AM EDT
[#33]

If a 3/8" could have enough torque to reliability handle lug nuts, I'd be OK with that, especially for a portable in vehicle solution.  I agree on the 1/4" snapping the socket adapters for heavy work.  BTDT  
View Quote

I have no doubt that my 3/8 could handle lug nuts with ease.  Maybe not tractor trailer lug nuts, but for most cars / trucks, sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I use my Milwaukee high torque 1/2" for lug nuts but otherwise it's generally a Carlyle long locking 3/8 ratchet and a Harbor Freight 24" 1/2" breaker bar. That can do every brake job efficiently on my vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#35]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
If just doing a job or two, I would get Harbor Freight.  I’ve got the Earthquake 1/2 inch that I use on farm equipment.  It gets abused but I have yet seen a nut that it wouldn’t break loose.
I also have Milwaukee and Makita.
View Quote

I bought a Harbor Freight Earthquake compact pneumatic 1/2" impact about 10 years ago. It was for a specific task in a tight spot that my other impacts would not fit. At the time I thought it was worth it if it just gets through this one thing. It's surprisingly powerful and still works well. I use cordless impacts 90% of the time these days though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:19:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#36]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
Honestly, it could probably be done without an impact. Milwaukee and DeWalt are always going to be top of the line, if you haven't needed one so far, you could easily get by with Ryobi, plus they have a whole host of other tools. Price wise you'll be saving a lot of money.
View Quote

this. Only thing you would use the impact on is lug nuts.

I have the big Milwaukee and the stubby. They are awesome. I have broken all forms of the milwaulkee ratchets and drills.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Milwaukee has been the best for auto use for a while now but Dewalt is back into the game recently.  Dewalt has the highest torque for a 1/2" impact now (1700 ftlbs) and they have some nice power ratchets.  The other nice thing about Dewalt is that you can use their 60V batteries on the 20V tools and they last all day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#38]
I use a 3/8" milwaukee (2852) to do the lugs on my f250sd.  It usually takes them off with no problem, once in a while I need to use a breaker bar to get one started.  I only use it to run them up snug, then torque wrench to tighten.

The 3/8" is a smaller format than the 1/2", or was when I bought it, and is a little more useful to me.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Either. Both 1/2" will have way, way more torque than you likely need. Both have a solid "I wasn't asking" mode.
View Quote

Yes, and for the love of all that’s good and holy, get in the habit of checking it's spinning the correct way before sticking it on a bolt/nut and sending it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
From a previous deal thread, I picked up a M18 Fuel 1/2” Mid-torque Impact. Very handy tool to have around.
View Quote

The mid-torque has tons more power than he will need for anything on a normal vehicle. I bought the high torque first and it just sits while the mid-torque does the job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I have 2 cordless impacts, 1/2 and 3/8. Never used them on the brakes aside from taking the wheels off. No way you can get it anywhere near the bolts to use it. Breaker bar to get the caliper bracket bolts loose. Everything else is a normal 3/8 ratchet.
View Quote

I use my mid-torque on every bolt on a break job. I spent the money on swivel sockets and they work wonders.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
View Quote

I've got 12 year old Milwaukee batteries that work great. I'm no pro. I just use my tools occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Either DeWalt or Milwaukee will get the job done. A more compact mid torque would probably serve you better than the massive high torques unless you have a tractor or something bigger that you work on as well. With how powerful the newer models are, you got plenty of ugga-duggas in a mid torque for a tire change/brake job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#44]
You won't go wrong with either brand.  I can get Dewalt stuff for a third of what I would pay for Milwaukee, so my shop is yellow and not red.

In SC, can't you guy s just use slip joint pliers to get bolts out?  I use impacts because everything is welded in by rust around here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Yes, and for the love of all that’s good and holy, get in the habit of checking it's spinning the correct way before sticking it on a bolt/nut and sending it.
View Quote

Who doesn’t pull the trigger immediately upon picking up a drill/impact to see how it spins?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Who doesn’t pull the trigger immediately upon picking up a drill/impact to see how it spins?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]
My M12 stubby 1/2" wouldnt take the rusty blade bolts off my old John Deere 125 Automatic this weekend

My Ryobi 1/2" did

The Ryobi is their mid torque version I believe, its a large gun
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I think someone would be best served with a cordless mid-torque impact wrench in the 600-ish ft lb range for bigger stuff (hat can be adjusted downward if necessary) and a cordless ratchet for the smaller stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
My M12 stubby 1/2" wouldnt take the rusty blade bolts off my old John Deere 125 Automatic this weekend

My Ryobi 1/2" did

The Ryobi is their mid torque version I believe, its a large gun
View Quote

Do you even 3/8" M18 Mid Torque bro?
Page / 3
Need a impact wrench (Page 2 of 3)
Top Top