Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]
1. What engine oil would you recommend for farm tractors and trucks?  Real ones, over 300 hp.

2. What is your opinion on CNH's Hy Tran?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By j-dubya1:
Power Service has always been recommended for 2nd gen Cummins 24v with the VP44 pump.  Even though inadequate fuel pressure from the lift pump is primarily the cause of VP44 failure, Power Service allegedly adds necessary lubricity to the fuel, as the fuel cools the VP44.  This became particularly important once ULSD came out.  Any truth or confirmation to Power Service boosting the fuel’s “lubricity”?  I’ve been pouring a couple of glugs into nearly every tank for 20 years of owning the truck.

Thanks.
View Quote

I wrenched at FedEx for ~30 years. I've changed more VP44's than I care to think about. That said...one of the best things we did was to install a Hobbs pressure switch between the lift pump and the VP44. I think it was a 5LB (10LB?) rated switch. The switch was wired to illuminate a light we installed on the dash if the lift pump quit while the truck was running. We told the drivers to write up the truck if the light was illuminated and we'd replace the lift pump.  

While I replaced a ton of lift pumps, the VP44 failures pretty much ended.

Nope...still don't miss it.....

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Citgo Citguard 700 off the top of my head is what I would use, looking for something off the shelf.

After that, Chevron Dell SDE 400.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Yes.  I mean the biggest issue with any Rotella is that it foams.

Foaming leads to oxidation. Oxidation leads to varnish and also shearing.

You can go back now close to 2 decades of posting I've done on here and see that I've said that same exact thing.

He did a video at HPL's lab a few weeks ago. Also the guy who owns HPL is legit. Nice guy. Went out of his way to visit me even though we don't directly do business.

What specifically do you recommend as an alternative to Rotella for light and medium duty diesels?

Something that doesn't foam would be a plus

Citgo Citguard 700 off the top of my head is what I would use, looking for something off the shelf.

What happened to muh Kendall DXA?  Is it no longer the go to?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DamnYank:

Raises a couple questions from me...
Audi S4 with the 3L supercharged motor, mild tune.  I don't flog it hard regularly but it gets a sensible workout.  Have been running Kirkland's full syn 5-30.  Only sees ~5k miles a year, worth switching to RL Euro?

E46 M3 straight 6, I drive it like an asshole calls for 10-60, have been using Liqui Moly, any change recommendation there?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DamnYank:
Originally Posted By slater2111:
@Foxtrot08 he’s the reason I changed from Amsoil SS to Redline Euro in my tuned Ecoboost as well. He talks I listen.

Raises a couple questions from me...
Audi S4 with the 3L supercharged motor, mild tune.  I don't flog it hard regularly but it gets a sensible workout.  Have been running Kirkland's full syn 5-30.  Only sees ~5k miles a year, worth switching to RL Euro?

E46 M3 straight 6, I drive it like an asshole calls for 10-60, have been using Liqui Moly, any change recommendation there?

Thanks!

It’s worth using a Euro oil.

I again, don’t have any strong feelings on normal oil brands.  From Mobil 1 to liquid moly, to Pennzoil to Valvoline, use what’s available to you at your price point.

I use redline because it’s free to me and in my opinion, probably one of the best oils you can buy for high performance applications. But not needed for every day use.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
Any opinion on Pennzoil Platinum, 5W30? Or Ultra Platinum?
I'm tracking for 45 to 50k a year on my 2023 F-150 5.0., mostly highway miles.
I try to keep my vehicles for 5 years, and am really enjoying this truck. So longevity is my main concern. I've had good luck coupon stacking on it the PZ Platinum, and my wife's Navigator also takes it.

Redline might just be too expensive, unless there is a case for higher mileage on the motor.

Open to others. The info in the video about different make oil formulas having negative interactions even without additives got my attention

Thanks!.
View Quote

We switched from a conventional oil in our Sprinters to Pennzoil Platinum Euro Spec (5W30)at FedEx. We were blowing up the Sprinters turbos on a pretty regular basis. The turbo failures ended within a few months of the change Euro Spec.

I'm a huge fan of it.

Oh...and we went to a 25 thousand mile oil change interval !!!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Discblade:
1. What engine oil would you recommend for farm tractors and trucks?  Real ones, over 300 hp.

2. What is your opinion on CNH's Hy Tran?
View Quote

I mean, I sell Kendall DXA 15w40 and Citgo C700 15w40 guys putting it in D11’s, PC1200’s, 395’s, 777’s, etc. So yeah.  

CNH Hy tran isn’t anything special. Another J20C clone. Use a good tractor fluid. I like Kendall 052+ because of the higher V.I. and the anti chatter.  Plus it meets super UDT2.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: perfectsilence] [#7]
Mr Fox, I have a ‘23 F-150 with the 3.5. It’s not tuned and I have no plans to do so. As I’m sure you know, everyone online talks about how oil change internals need to be pretty short on these motors due to fuel dilution, turbo heat, etc.  I bought it new and have about 10k miles on it. IIRC you have a raptor with the HO 3.5 and run Redline in it, although you get it for free. If you didn’t, what would your oil choice and oil change plan be?

I’ve been using Motorcraft synth blend and changing around 3500-4000 because I bought a bunch of it around the time of purchase. Recently changed with Mobil 1 which is what’s in there now. I am fine changing it frequently and I am fine changing it less frequently, doesn’t make much difference to me, as long as I’m doing whatever is best for this particular engine. I want to keep the truck for a very long time.

Your patience in answering the same 3 questions over and over again is always appreciated
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lug1:

Yes.  I mean the biggest issue with any Rotella is that it foams.

Foaming leads to oxidation. Oxidation leads to varnish and also shearing.

You can go back now close to 2 decades of posting I've done on here and see that I've said that same exact thing.

He did a video at HPL's lab a few weeks ago. Also the guy who owns HPL is legit. Nice guy. Went out of his way to visit me even though we don't directly do business.

What specifically do you recommend as an alternative to Rotella for light and medium duty diesels?

Something that doesn't foam would be a plus

Unless you have a Kendall distributor close, it’s going to be hard to get. P66 has reduced their foot print on the retail side of the world significantly since Covid. They lost their placement at several truck stops and parts stores.

Why? No idea. Currently they sorta have their head up their ass with everyone retiring.

I’m on my 4th CSR in 5 years.  His boss is retiring next year. His boss’s boss is retiring in a few months. Both P66 and Kendall’s brand managers (who get it out in retail foot print) retired in the last 2 years and have yet to be replaced.  

So hard to recommend something that’s just hard to get. Plus they played around with the formulation sometime in the last 16 months. So I’ve been testing a few things in my own fleet to draw some conclusions through data vs speculation.

And they lost the exclusive distribution to S-Oil group 3s. Which I think lead to some formulation changes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:21:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you live a desert climate is there any advantage of running 10w30 over 5w30?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Something that doesn’t foam would be a plus

View Quote

In my heavy truck and ag engines I switched from T5 to chevron delo.   Oil consumption was cut in half amd wear metals decreased significantly too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]

whoa... I've never heard of an interval like that (other than some girls I've known that weren't aware of Oil Changes).
Wife's care is a 2019 Navigator with the twin turbo 3.5EB, with 103,000 miles.
How many miles did y'all keep Sprinters for?

EDIT: Between my household personal vehicles and a few work trucks all taking 5w-30, I can probably justify a barrel.
We also have an interest in an oil change place, but it stays too busy for me to get my vehicles in. Might be able to buy through it.
So now I'm getting carried away with pricing a barrel of full synthetic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

We switched from a conventional oil in our Sprinters to Pennzoil Platinum Euro Spec (5W30)at FedEx. We were blowing up the Sprinters turbos on a pretty regular basis. The turbo failures ended within a few months of the change Euro Spec.

I'm a huge fan of it.

whoa... I've never heard of an interval like that (other than some girls I've known that weren't aware of Oil Changes).

EDIT: Between my household personal vehicles and a few work trucks all taking 5w-30, I can probably justify a barrel.
We also have an interest in an oil change place, but it stays too busy for me to get my vehicles in. Might be able to buy through it.
So now I'm getting carried away with pricing a barrel of full synthetic.

Just call up your local oil distributors.  Pick a brand. Find a distributor for said brand on that brands website.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, this video may ruffle some additive feathers. I for one am glad foxtrot uses lube when he deciees to go in hard. Industry approved, top of the line lube at that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Any opinions on ATF additives that claim to help hard shifting and slipping?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobradriver] [#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

I'm a huge fan of it.

Until they were no longer fixable ???

Seriously. We were doing engines at 250-300K miles. The light duty diesel engines were just flat wore out by that point. The later 4 cylinder turbos were going 500K.

On my personal junk I just change it once a year or 10K miles. I was just inside my 2007 Trailblazer with 180K on it. It has the inline 6. I tow a 16' open trailer on a regular basis. The inside of the engine was spotless. I had to replace the stupid Oring on the oil pump pickup tube...

ETA...the 250-300K was put on in 5 or 6 years. I talked to a coworker a few weeks ago and they are still running 15+ year old trucks going on their third engine....

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HunterRose13:
View Quote

Don’t do it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
@Foxtrot08

What about seal swelling additives like ATP AT-205?  They are supposedly just an ester.  Is there any potential for that to clash with typical base oils or additive packages?  I haven't had a use for them yet, but I'm curious if they are worth bothering with.  I suppose an alternative is the various "high mileage" oils that supposedly include a similar additive in them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Don’t do it.
View All Quotes

Don’t do it.

Thanks.  I figured nothing good would come of that.

Do you dabble in 2 stroke oils also?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Don’t do it.

I know the fundamentals of it. But don’t ask me about brand to brand.  As I don’t pay attention to that market in the slightest right now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
@Foxtrot08

What about seal swelling additives like ATP AT-205?  They are supposedly just an ester.  Is there any potential for that to clash with typical base oils or additive packages?  I haven't had a use for them yet, but I'm curious if they are worth bothering with.  I suppose an alternative is the various "high mileage" oils that supposedly include a similar additive in them.
View Quote

High mileage oils are a weird one to me.  And high mileage additives.

I had this conversation about two years ago or maybe more with a P66 product manager.  They released a high mileage additive.  And I asked him “why would you add this to full synthetic?”

He didn’t have a good answer for me and shook his head.  

If you’re not running the cheapest brand of oil possible, I’m not a gigantic believer in the need for seal swell additives and/or high mileage additives. Full synthetics basically… have it covered? After that it’s just marketing.

Can it cause additive interferences? Yes. Absolutely.  Do I think they would be catastrophic? No.  Do I think it causes money to leave your wallet with great results? Also yes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Mr Fox, I have a ‘23 F-150 with the 3.5. It’s not tuned and I have no plans to do so. As I’m sure you know, everyone online talks about how oil change internals need to be pretty short on these motors due to fuel dilution, turbo heat, etc.  I bought it new and have about 10k miles on it. IIRC you have a raptor with the HO 3.5 and run Redline in it, although you get it for free. If you didn’t, what would your oil choice and oil change plan be?

I’ve been using Motorcraft synth blend and changing around 3500-4000 because I bought a bunch of it around the time of purchase. Recently changed with Mobil 1 which is what’s in there now. I am fine changing it frequently and I am fine changing it less frequently, doesn’t make much difference to me, as long as I’m doing whatever is best for this particular engine. I want to keep the truck for a very long time.

Your patience in answering the same 3 questions over and over again is always appreciated
View Quote

@Foxtrot08 back to this one since I have the 3.5 EB in my 2019 F150 as well
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Foxtrot.
I've got a 21 Camaro with the 6.2
It seems the oil requirement was originally
5/30 dex 2 to what my model now requires which is 0/40 dex 2. Not euro according to the forums.
I'm using the 0/40 but it's really hard to find.
Why did GM change it and what is the difference?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

View All Quotes

A major brand full synthetic. Again, I would personally run a euro product.  

If I had to chose off the shelf:

Euro:

Mobil 1 European car formula
Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:
Any major brand full synthetic is also more than enough.  

Before redline, I ran Kendall Max 5w30 - which is their full synthetic. My 2015 F150 has 160,000 miles on it. Still in my fleet.  It’s been fed a version of that, its entire career with me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Two stroke or four stroke?

First question.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kingfish:
I’ve just purchased a wave runner and it calls for a special marine oil because of higher revs (casually cruising at 5k) in a marine environment

Is there a big difference with auto oils?  If so, what?

First question.

Dang!  4 stroke
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By catrepair:
Foxtrot.
I've got a 21 Camaro with the 6.2
It seems the oil requirement was originally
5/30 dex 2 to what my model now requires which is 0/40 dex 2. Not euro according to the forums.
I'm using the 0/40 but it's really hard to find.
Why did GM change it and what is the difference?
Thanks
View Quote

Typically they do this random up tick in viscosity because of cooling issues.  Probably in testing they discovered that the cooling system in the vehicle can’t keep up with track use, or just over time fades - aeration in coolant will happen as additive pack in it fails. This leads to it just not having enough cooling capacity for the oil.

So the German way to combat this is to just increase oil viscosity. Which is why Euro cars are famous for their 5w50’s and 10w60’s. A lot still call for a 5w40 or a 0w40.

Castrol and Mobil have the only two active licenses from GM for that product as far as I know. But they could be the only ones wanting to pay for that license as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Dang!  4 stroke
View All Quotes
I’ve just purchased a wave runner and it calls for a special marine oil because of higher revs (casually cruising at 5k) in a marine environment

Is there a big difference with auto oils?  If so, what?

First question.

Dang!  4 stroke

Had to ask. My parents have a two stroke one.  And I’d of looked like a tool giving advice and you’d of said “oh yeah it’s a four stroke.”

The NMMA FC-W test is simply a 100 hour test stand test for marine engines. Nothing major. It’s pass / fail, pay a licensing fee.  Certifies the oil can last 100 hours in a marine test engine. Which, any full synthetic can do.  

The FC-W(CAT) is the same just with lower zinc content for emissions equipment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

Before redline, I ran Kendall Max 5w30 - which is their full synthetic. My 2015 F150 has 160,000 miles on it. Still in my fleet.  It’s been fed a version of that, its entire career with me.
View All Quotes

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the higher frequency oil changes for the 3.5 like the guy I quoted mentioned?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the higher frequency oil changes for the 3.5 like the guy I quoted mentioned?
View All Quotes

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

Thanks!

I’ve seen no reason to. I went 7500-8000 miles on the Kendall max without any issue in the 2015. Oil analysis showed no major fuel dilution, etc.  

Only thing oily related that’s been replaced, the oil lines to the turbo were changed about 10,000 miles ago on the truck.  They started leaking pretty good.  I guess the fitting on that era is prone to salt corrosion.  So nothing the oil did (or didn’t do).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Toyota dealer sells toyota brand 0w20, parts guys says it is the same as mobil 1? Would i be better off just buying mobil 1 from walmart?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By boomhower:
Toyota dealer sells toyota brand 0w20, parts guys says it is the same as mobil 1? Would i be better off just buying mobil 1 from walmart?
View Quote

It’s like… Mobil 1 lite.

It’s closer to the Mobil Super line of product. Which is their “fleet” full synthetic. This is what they’ll sell to quick lubes and such that sell a “Mobil full synthetic oil change” for $99.99.

It’s probably not Mobil 1. It’s Mobil super.

Similar, but not as good. So… yes? Mobil 1 would be statistically better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Topic rated Epic
Thank you
@Foxtrot08
I have a 2023 X5M [hot V biturbo] and had been researching which oil to use for some time, (I want to keep this for a long time, last non-hybrid) and had some time ago decided on Redline Euro 5W30 as I drive it like it was designed to be driven.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

View All Quotes

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

I know this much about Ford phasers and oil is that Quaker State full synthetic is noisy. The euro stuff probably makes is quiter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Is lubrication engineer a ABET practice?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mortgage_Payer:
Is lubrication engineer a ABET practice?
View Quote

Industry driven.

By STLE.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Typically they do this random up tick in viscosity because of cooling issues.  Probably in testing they discovered that the cooling system in the vehicle can’t keep up with track use, or just over time fades - aeration in coolant will happen as additive pack in it fails. This leads to it just not having enough cooling capacity for the oil.

So the German way to combat this is to just increase oil viscosity. Which is why Euro cars are famous for their 5w50’s and 10w60’s. A lot still call for a 5w40 or a 0w40.

Castrol and Mobil have the only two active licenses from GM for that product as far as I know. But they could be the only ones wanting to pay for that license as well.
View Quote

Thank you. Makes sense. Its a 1LE
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#38]

I’ve seen no reason to. I went 7500-8000 miles on the Kendall max without any issue in the 2015. Oil analysis showed no major fuel dilution, etc.  

Only thing oily related that’s been replaced, the oil lines to the turbo were changed about 10,000 miles ago on the truck.  They started leaking pretty good.  I guess the fitting on that era is prone to salt corrosion.  So nothing the oil did (or didn’t do).
View All Quotes

Euro:

Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:

Thanks!

Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#39]
What do you think is happening when someone uses an additive and a noise in eliminated? Just thicker viscosity?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok i'll ask a question too.

67 camaro
Fully rebuilt 350 engine with a little less than 1000 miles. ~450 hp
Solid tappet lifters/cam. The cam and lifters is at least 30 years old. Took me forever to get it on the road, the cam/lifters came with the car but was never used.
4.11 gears so cruises around 2800-3000 rpm.
Everything on the car is new including cooling systems

What brand/type of oil would you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
@Foxtrot08 What is wrong with hexagonal boron nitride? AKA Ceratec.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#42]

Don't do it.
View All Quotes

Don't do it.

My Yukon developed the torque converter clutch shudder problem and fresh fluid didn't help.  I added Shudder Fixx to it and that reduced the problem by 80%.  Of course it is only stop gap measure to buy time until I can get the transmission fixed but Shudder Fixx absolutely did help me get another 10,000 miles before the effects started to wear off. I did another fluid exchange and 2 tubes of Shudder Fix and it reduced the problem again.  The fluid did come out brown after 10,000 miles so obviously there is a mechanical problem and it is just a matter of time it fails completely.  I wouldn't use any additive like this unless it is obvious the transmissions is going to need to be replaced in the near future and you want to buy a little more time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
If you wanted to clean out the internals of an engine crank case that hasn’t had an oil change in waaaaaay tooooo long. What would you do? It wasn’t destroyed but the oil was very black and clearly left deposits.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
If you wanted to clean out the internals of an engine crank case that hasn’t had an oil change in waaaaaay tooooo long. What would you do? It wasn’t destroyed but the oil was very black and clearly left deposits.
View Quote

The You Tube videos of BG Dynamic Platinum Engine Restoration Service kit are amazing but it is pricy. I bought a kit to use but ended up cutting my losses before I used it. I still have the kit sitting on the shelf waiting to be used some time in the future. Most of the Amazon reviews are favorable.

I'd be curious what Foxtrot08 thinks about it.

Amazon Product
  • BG DYNAMIC ENGINE CLEANER: As part one of two, this potent cleaner will thoroughly clean the crankcase and the entire lubrication system.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

The You Tube videos of BG Dynamic Platinum Engine Restoration Service kit are amazing but it is pricy. I bought a kit to use but ended up cutting my losses before I used it. I still have the kit sitting on the shelf waiting to be used some time in the future. Most of the Amazon reviews are favorable.

I'd be curious what Foxtrot08 thinks about it.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4Z2J16B
View Quote

first post of this thread says don't add anything to your oil
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#46]
Originally Posted By captblue1:

View Quote

The engines this stuff is going onto HAVE NOT HAD regular oil changes hence the SLUDGE build up. The car I was going to use this on had a majority of the oil passages plugged. When I pulled the valve covers there was a 1/4 thick layer of sludge on everything. Under the timing chain cover was just as bad. Oil sludge drained from the crank case when I pulled the drain plug.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#47]

The engines this stuff is going onto HAVE NOT HAD regular oil changes hence the SLUDGE build up. The car I was going to use this on had a majority of the oil passages plugged. When I pulled the valve covers there was a 1/4 thick layer of sludge on everything. Under the timing chain cover was just as bad. Oil sludge drained from the crank case when I pulled the drain plug.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captblue1:

Wouldn't a new filter and new oil start cleaning that up on its own? If anything is clogged to the point bearings have already been starved of oil, the engine is already on its way out even if you wave a magic wand and instantly make it squeeky clean. I think your biggest threat now assuming it isn't already a time bomb is chunks coming loose and clogging stuff up, so maybe a slower cleaning process from just new oil is the safest bet?  Maybe keep an eye on the dipstick and do more frequent oil/filter changes when it darkens?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_Utah_88] [#48]
I use Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0 W 40 in my 392 Hemi. Do you think Red Line would be a better oil?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Wouldn't a new filter and new oil start cleaning that up on its own? If anything is clogged to the point bearings have already been starved of oil, the engine is already on its way out even if you wave a magic wand and instantly make it squeeky clean. I think your biggest threat now assuming it isn't already a time bomb is chunks coming loose and clogging stuff up, so maybe a slower cleaning process from just new oil is the safest bet?  Maybe keep an eye on the dipstick and do more frequent oil/filter changes when it darkens?
View Quote

In my case an engine swap was not cost effective. The car would have been worth about 4k in good running condition. A replacement engine was going to be between 6 and 8k. There were a bunch of problems with the lifter oil passages being plugged causing codes with the cam phasers. My objective was to try to use the BG stuff to unclog the oil passages and try to get 10 or 15k miles out of the thing until a better car could be located for a family member. The deeper I got into the thing the more problems were found and I cut my losses before I used the flush kit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Alright... I'm actually going to make an oil thread on GD for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGT5inQScE

Now, Lake Speed Jr. does get kind of long winded in this video, at nearly 30 minutes long.  And does get a bit technical with the used oil analysis.  But, we share the same credentials, being we are both CLS or 'lubricant engineers' so to speak. I come from the distributor / marketer side of the world, primarily focused on industrial lubricants. Lake Speed Jr. comes from the racing world and now is more into engine building for racing applications.  Very different sides of the industry, however the fundamentals stay the same.

For a TL;DR of this video and what I've said for years (decades now?) on Arfcom:

Only fuel additives that work are PEA based, more specifically Amine based fuel additives as they give a level of detergent to the fuel.

Don't add anything to your engine oil.  Seriously. Just fucking don't. It's all various levels of bad. Don't use MMO, don't use seafoam, don't use ZDDP additives, don't use super nano friction reducer. Just don't use it. You're going to do more harm than good.
View Quote
Thanks.

Following his channel and his stuff over at the total seal channel too. Good stuff!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top