BCM
User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 12 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Resembles a Mustang from the '60s, but with modern design and tech.
View Quote

Not really.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anonymoose1] [#2]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

There are plenty of good sounding engines that aren't American V8s.

Really, those F&F era Civics you seem to be referencing of are the exception, not the norm, even for Japanese I4 cars.
View Quote

True. I’ve heard plenty of American v8s that sound like absolute garbage because some asshole screwed it all up with a terrible exhaust system — same goes for any engine. I do prefer the sound of larger displacement engines though. My BMW I6 with a Super Sprint exhaust sounds utterly incredible at WOT.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Sucks for the enthusiast, though.  The aftermarket only supports what people are willing to pay for.  Which is 90% mustang, camaro, corvette, squarebody truck.

My 1969 thunderbird was a nicer car all around than the mustangs of the same year.  They advertised it as coming with more features standard than you could even special order on most other cars.  Base drivetrain in the t-bird was the 429+C6.  Power windows, seats, locks, brakes, cruise control, ABS, yada yada.  But since it costed more and it was not a race car, fewer sold.  That translates to less aftermarket support.  Now to keep it maintained, it costs a lot more money.
View Quote

My first car.  Mine didn't have ABS, though.   Come to think of it, no cars did back then.
I miss her every day...but I wouldn't want to go back underhood/underdash to try and fix vacuum leaks with all that 'newfangled' vac line/controls.

I always loved the "HISSSSSsssssssss..." when turning on the headlights, when the covers slowly rose up and back, or the sequential tailights.  The steering wheel that would both flip up and over whenever you opened the door, to make it easier to get in.  The 'airline cockpit' setup of the controls.  That wraparound backseat that was soooo comfortable at the drive in with your girl...It was a wonderful first car.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

My first car.  Mine didn't have ABS, though.   Come to think of it, no cars did back then.
I miss her every day...but I wouldn't want to go back underhood/underdash to try and fix vacuum leaks with all that 'newfangled' vac line/controls.

I always loved the "HISSSSSsssssssss..." when turning on the headlights, when the covers slowly rose up and back, or the sequential tailights.  The steering wheel that would both flip up and over whenever you opened the door, to make it easier to get in.  The 'airline cockpit' setup of the controls.  That wraparound backseat that was soooo comfortable at the drive in with your girl...It was a wonderful first car.
View Quote

Yep.  87 miles of vacuum lines in each car.  Its mostly the door locks and headlights in this car that are the unique vacuum accessories.  The AC selector is, but that's pretty common.  The sequential tail lights were mechanical, and I think switched to solid state the following year.  Alligator skin patterned vinyl top.  The 69 tbird was the first US production car with the ABS option.  I wanna say it had some fancy arrangement for the rear shocks, too.  Its a ford 9" axle.  Maybe the coil spring arrangement instead of leafs.

There's another thing they added, vents under the rear window.  So when you have a car full of people smoking, it maintains a fresh stream of air sucking the smoke out the back of the car without the road noise or anything.  I think the flappers for this system are vacuum actuated.

And the optional "passed out wife" passenger seat.  It reclines down so when the ol' lady had too much to drink at the party, she can pass out on the ride home.

The AC had 2 options.  One of them works normally where you control it with on/off and the blower speed.  My car has the optional one where you set a temperature and the HVAC does whatever it wants to maintain that temperature.

The most novel thing for me is the windshield wipers run off the power steering pump, not an electric motor.  And the knob is infinitely adjustable.  Most of my cars from the 60s on through the early 80s didn't even have a low speed or intermittent wipers yet.  Its a constant struggle when it rains.  Its raining enough to turn on the wipers but not raining enough to need to leave them running while on their lowest setting.  But the 69 tbird doesn't have that issue.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OCW] [#5]
Originally Posted By OCW:
OP is really going to hate this car. The original muscle car.

20hp stock, but I’ve got it pumped up to 22hp by putting on a downdraft carb, distributor and single coil, and a header and pipe. It’s even got a water pump. That’s a 10% increase in power! I didn’t post it yesterday, because I knew I would finish it today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/67C43983-EAF0-4E71-AFE5-507DFAB3144F_jpe-3215398.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/6F52A64C-8170-4C3C-B14D-378E1A00DEA9_jpe-3215400.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/7E88080E-1143-443B-B4CC-F0D39E1ABC79_jpe-3215401.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/18F5700A-3418-4B8D-A084-89A2662FA768_jpe-3215403.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/C4C286FE-624E-4A5E-98B4-C8DB6C9E931B_jpe-3215404.JPG
View Quote

Nobody likes ol’ #99?

Attachment Attached File

Without ol’ #99, we wouldn’t have any of these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Attachment Attached File

I take this autocrossing frequently. It's not as fast around the track as my hellcat but it certainly handles better as far as it's balance goes and is a ton of fun to sling around.

Fast time of the day was set by a 66 mustang with some suspension tweaks. Nothing exotic and mostly garage modified by the owner. Beating a whole bunch of late model camaros, mustangs, challengers, and imports.

So yeah the old cars are suck argument is generally spouted by those who suck with wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]

It may be faster, but its not even remotely as cool.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I love it.  Watching cars of that era race is fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Is turbo k swap that thing and drop it on a new chassis with modern steering and suspension.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Is turbo k swap that thing and drop it on a new chassis with modern steering and suspension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:

I dunno, the distributor and downflow one barrel has got it putting out some raw power. I even added a sediment bowl today.

Attachment Attached File

And the chassis and suspension are high tech. Look at that bad ass drop axle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166565/1000001980_jpg-3215927.JPG
I take this autocrossing frequently. It's not as fast around the track as my hellcat but it certainly handles better as far as it's balance goes and is a ton of fun to sling around.

Fast time of the day was set by a 66 mustang with some suspension tweaks. Nothing exotic and mostly garage modified by the owner. Beating a whole bunch of late model camaros, mustangs, challengers, and imports.

So yeah the old cars are suck argument is generally spouted by those who suck with wrenches.
View Quote
Hell yeah.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#12]

View Quote

My nephew was there with his Integra haha!
 Great job taking that out there! It's not always about winning, it's ok to just have fun too!

ETA: Ole 99' is AWESOME! Love that thing!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By xd341:
you're delusional, go to the infirmary

Yes old cars are old. Yes modern cars do pretty much everything better than old cars.   There are a couple of confounding factors however.  The nostalgia wasn't based on the the straight 6 camaro or 327 corvette.  It was based on the low volume very high performance halo versions of those cars that most people didn't own.  So the solid lifter 427 COPO camaros and the L-88 corvettes, 426 hemis etc.  Those engines were epic and are still impressive by modern standards.  Really the only modern factory things that beat them are either supercharged or very high winding flat plane V8s. They were 10 second 1/4 mile cars if given proper tires.

secondly your weak ass rant about dyno numbers is ignorant.  The standards changed.  Manufacturers went from using SAE gross to SAE net hp ratings. Plus often manufacturers lied about output numbers on the low volume high hp engines for insurance purposes.  the L-88 for example was rated SAE gross at 435.  In reality it was likely over 500.  Same was true for 440 six pack and 426 cars, under rated.   The average grocery getter was a sad example of the species and that was the bulk of cars back then, but they did make some genuine beasts as well and those are what people remember.

The impressive thing these days is hitting big numbers while meeting emissions standards, that's was killed the party back in the day.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]

I dunno, the distributor and downflow one barrel has got it putting out some raw power. I even added a sediment bowl today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/B6FD0FA2-CE19-49A2-A6F4-35680AF5A7A6_jpe-3215971.JPG

And the chassis and suspension are high tech. Look at that bad ass drop axle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/735F7F64-6586-4F08-AD91-494DE1BA1D89_jpe-3215972.JPG
View Quote

That would be fun to K-swap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:
Bench racing. It's nothing new.

New cars have no soul, but they are definitely better cars. I like my old cars for the total experience.
View Quote

This, nothing like going down the highway , at a good clip,AC/DC melding w/ the duel glass packs, feeling the road almost entirely by the seat of your pants, and wondering which drum brake will grab first should you need to slow down quickly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My 2003 Dodge 1500 was probably as fast as my 69 Corvette. But how many of these new cars will still be running 50 years from now?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Well look at that, two 60’s era cars that would absolutely devastate 95% of not more of the so called modern American muscle cars.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Look at what Dick Guldstrand did with the early Camaros, or Parnelli Jones with early Mustangs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

Well look at that, two 60’s era cars that would absolutely devastate 95% of not more of the so called modern American muscle cars.
View All Quotes

They aren’t lightweights, that’s for sure.

Ford Racing 427

Attachment Attached File

Period correct 427 Tunnel Port

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:47:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bearman71] [#20]
"They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made"

if you have to start with a lie then the rest of your point is probably bullshit as well.

No, your honda is not making as much power as a cobra jet or any equivalent from mopar or gm

Edit:
source to prove that youre full of shit

yes they lied, they often under rated their bigboy engines.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/testing-4-2-8how-much-horsepower-ford-428-cobra-jet-really-make/
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Straight 8s sound neat to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrut8IhEu0

The car at 8:20 sounds like a lion roaring as it drives away from the camera.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
Would you rather listen to a fart can or beautiful big American V8 rumble?

There are plenty of good sounding engines that aren't American V8s.

Really, those F&F era Civics you seem to be referencing of are the exception, not the norm, even for Japanese I4 cars.

V12(and some v10) > Flat 6 >>>>>> everything else.

Straight 8s sound neat to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrut8IhEu0

The car at 8:20 sounds like a lion roaring as it drives away from the camera.

Those do sound pretty cool. The Mercedes W125 with the supercharger whine on top of the angry growl was my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:20:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#22]
Originally Posted By bearman71:
"They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made"

if you have to start with a lie then the rest of your point is probably bullshit as well.

No, your honda is not making as much power as a cobra jet or any equivalent from mopar or gm

Edit:
source to prove that youre full of shit

yes they lied, they often under rated their bigboy engines.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/testing-4-2-8how-much-horsepower-ford-428-cobra-jet-really-make/
View Quote

There is no substitute for cubic inches!

One of the most obvious is the 302 BossFord or 302Chevrolet, 290 horsepower, when placed on dynos the true number was around 375 for the DZ and closer to 400 for the Boss. Now these were not meant to be high horsepower engines but high revers for racing. The 335 horse 428 SCJ was over 400 with a little tuning, the Boss 429 was over 500, that’s allot more than the advertised 375. The 426 hemi was rated at 425 horsepower yet has dyno’d closer to 500 horsepower.

Ford was the worst to under rate their engine horsepower figures, this wasn't done so much to get around insurance companies but for racing purposes to allow better classification. Ford detuned their engines full well knowing that owners would be making modifications such as headers and better exhaust, high flow air cleaner assemblies in addition to timing and carb tuning.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]

One of the most obvious is the 302 BossFord or 302Chevrolet, 290 horsepower, when placed on dynos the true number was around 375 for the DZ and closer to 400 for the Boss. Now these were not meant to be high horsepower engines but high revers for racing. The 335 horse 428 SCJ was over 400 with a little tuning, the Boss 429 was over 500, that’s allot more than the advertised 375. The 426 hemi was rated at 425 horsepower yet has dyno’d closer to 500 horsepower.

Ford was the worst to under rate their engine horsepower figures, this wasn't done so much to get around insurance companies but for racing purposes to allow better classification. Ford detuned their engines full well knowing that owners would be making modifications such as headers and better exhaust, high flow air cleaner assemblies in addition to timing and carb tuning.
View Quote

Except boost.  Boost is the replacement for displacement.  Cram 5 liters of air and fuel into a 2 liter motor.  

But anyways, this is one of my favorite examples.  Pro stock car.  Running the stock displacement 289, stock crank, stock heads (can be ported), stock valve sizes, and even tiny stock carb.  He's making 475-500HP and doing wheelies.
Glorious 9,000 RPM 289 Small-Block 1965 Mustang | 4-Speed | Super Stock Ford
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/B29A1FB4-ACDC-437C-B2C3-B1555C1682B6_jpe-3215951.JPG
View Quote

I’m sorry. I can’t stop seeing the almond outlet covers. What gives
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FG24U:

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/B29A1FB4-ACDC-437C-B2C3-B1555C1682B6_jpe-3215951.JPG

Damn it, now I can’t stop seeing them!

I probably didn’t change them when I painted, because that’s a big building with who knows how many covers. Those cars shouldn’t even be in that room. I’ve been meaning to move them to a bigger room, so I could park them at angles and further away from each other.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
new cars are definitely fast and make power but they dont sound as cool as a older chevy big block or cammed small block at idle or have  that deep rumble.

Plus with all the current cars they are flooded with too many sensors and electronics that will kill them engines fast.dont get me started on the shitty sounding exhaust on newer v8s they just sound pure gayness.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:
Someone is upset they keep getting gapped by old iron.

It's okay, Riceboi, just put some more stickers on your glass and a bigger fart can.
View Quote

Highly doubtful since modern Camrys will 'gap' "old iron".

But go on, live in your rose colored nostalgia world.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Those are a trend that shouldn’t have existed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Except boost.  Boost is the replacement for displacement.  Cram 5 liters of air and fuel into a 2 liter motor.  

But anyways, this is one of my favorite examples.  Pro stock car.  Running the stock displacement 289, stock crank, stock heads (can be ported), stock valve sizes, and even tiny stock carb.  He's making 475-500HP and doing wheelies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8a_IFjJnKI
View All Quotes

Only 500 on stock parts?

Why is it pulling wheelies, what's wrong with the suspension?

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MVolkJ] [#30]

View Quote

The Group B cars are a good example of this, too. The late RS200 E2s are 2300lb AWD beasts with around 600hp out of their 2.1L I4 engine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

Only 500 on stock parts?

Why is it pulling wheelies, what's wrong with the suspension?

View Quote

I think the power is limited to whatever he can pull through that stock 400CFM carb.

And the suspension...  he probably pulled out a couple of the leaf springs to save weight.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#32]
You can turbo charge a 2L 4 banger, but what happens when you turbo charge a 500+ inch big block chevy...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TaxPayer77:
You can turbo charge a 2L 4 banger, but what happens when you turbo charge a 500+ inch big block chevy...
View Quote

Even more happiness?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#34]
It’s as if some people don’t know about aftermarket and modifications.

https://lateral-g.net/category/features/

Classic cars that accelerate, handle, brake, race
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#35]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

Highly doubtful since modern Camrys will 'gap' "old iron".

But go on, live in your rose colored nostalgia world.

View Quote

What is a fucking "camry" anyways. A made up word by marketing hacks. Seriously.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OCW] [#36]
I won’t even ride in a fucking Camry. Hell, I refuse to even get in the wife’s BMW M5? 7?, or whatever the fuck it is.

There just aren’t many post X guys that see classic cars for what they are. American art.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

The stock Demon is banned from NHRA events because it's too fast (sub 10 seconds).
View Quote

It’s “banned” because it lacks the proper safety equipment for the speed it’s capable of running.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

Pretty much no "low 8's" cars are daily drivers junior.
View Quote

LOL.

There are plenty of examples of cars deep into the 8s that could be daily driven without issue.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Indrid-Cold] [#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
...guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Ya, I doubt the daily driver thing too.
To push a 3500 lb. car to low 8's requires
about 1300 flywheel HP..
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Sure there is.

Forced induction or nitrous.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a ‘65 Galaxy, 390 with four barrel.
Passed everything but a gas station…

Then, later, had a minivan with more horses. Also quicker.
As satisfying? No way. But better vehicle? In every way.

‘85 Corvettes had 230 HP…
Camry’s have 300…
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

A HUGE majority of the automotive community of the last 120 years of the automobile age disagree with you. Mods to engines, drive trains and bodies have been a driving force since the first Model T came off the assembly line.

I built the 69 AMX for my wife. Frankly the antiquated trunnion front suspension that it came with should have been ditched two decades earlier. Having the option to upgrade the front suspension to adjustable coil overs with a power rack not only improved handling and drivability it gave the car a much better stance. It in no way degrades the driving experience and the car is just as real as the day it came off the AMC assembly line in Kenosha.

Going from this originally

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/94229.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/85086.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5032C-242509.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5092c-242520.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5103c-242524.jpg

To this was a vast improvement

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5461c-203069.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5466c-204426.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5462c-204423.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG-5465c-204425.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG_5871c-679838.jpg
View Quote

So, help me out here: the greatest cars ever devised were the muscle cars of the late 60s early 70s: the very pinnacle of automobile achievement. As long as no original area of it was unmodified. Don't get me wrong, I like restomods:

but seem preposterous to contend they are exceptional cars if they need to be altered to be reliable or better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By junker46:

So, help me out here: the greatest cars ever devised were the muscle cars of the late 60s early 70s: the very pinnacle of automobile achievement. As long as no original area of it was unmodified. Don't get me wrong, I like restomods:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/q94/junker46/wu3.jpg

but seem preposterous to contend they are exceptional cars if they need to be altered to be reliable or better.
View Quote

I never said they were the greatest cars devised. I responded to a fellow saying modified cars were the equivalent of sex with a doll.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By _DR:

What is a fucking "camry" anyways. A made up word by marketing hacks. Seriously.

View Quote

It's a Toyota sedan.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
Pretty good analogy right there
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
This is like comparing a P-51 to a F-4 to a F-22.  All are cool, all had their time.  A P-51 is still awesome to this day, just like a lot of the cars from 65'-73'.

Pretty good analogy right there

Numbers to numbers, comparing a 2015 Camry to a '68 Vette is more like comparing P-51 to a modern Cessna citation, except in the latter case, the Mustang would still smoke the Cessna, no contest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

The G8 is a Holden VE Commodore. Made in Elizabeth, South Australia. They didn't sell many because most people had no idea what it was, as you said.

They tried again a few years later with the VF Commodore as the "Chevy SS". It sold about as well, because people suck and we can't have nice things.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
Originally Posted By FaygoJoe:
My '09 Pontiac G8 surprised a lot of Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers.  It could also corner and not just go in a straight line.

Is this Boomer?  Do people even know about the G8?  When I had it they thought it was a Malibu or G6.  

People would ask, "What's the difference between a G6 and a G8?"  I'm like, "Everything."

Not my car but similar setup...6.0L, Rotofab CAI, Corsa catback w /x-pipe, Kooks longtube headers, Vector Motorsports tune, FE3 suspension.
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3869417492_88343a3ff0_b.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4aHwIuMRc

The G8 is a Holden VE Commodore. Made in Elizabeth, South Australia. They didn't sell many because most people had no idea what it was, as you said.

They tried again a few years later with the VF Commodore as the "Chevy SS". It sold about as well, because people suck and we can't have nice things.

My neighbor bought a Chevy SS. It's a cool car. We put a Procharger on in 2 years ago and it's now a really fun car.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Does seem delusional to compare cars, trucks from different era's unless styling is a consideration.  

Power and choice of accessories has always been the American advantage of manufacturing.

Technology, powertrains has always taken cues from aircraft industry. Aircraft have always been on the cutting EDGE of innovation. If the feds would not interfere with industry industry would otherwise be doing by choice of innovation what the feds and sierra club want.

The chemical industry is the real badguy in pollution innovation controls. And by way of federal protections they continue to defy basic human, animal protections. If not for having to provide protection for its workers nothing would improve in the chemical industry. Enough thread sliding...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#48]
This

Attachment Attached File

is faster 0-60 than

Attachment Attached File

and if not governed would match the top speed.  

The 308 had 208hp in '81

The Mazda 2.5 Turbo IL4 makes 256hp on 93 octane fuel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OCW] [#49]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
This

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/IMG_4339_jpeg-3217071.JPG

is faster 0-60 than

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/Image_3_jpeg-3217072.JPG

and if not governed would match the top speed.  

The 308 had 208hp in '81

View Quote

2024 Mazda:  2.5 Turbo IL4

0-60:  6.1

Top Speed: 129

1986 Porsche:  2.5 Turbo IL4

0-60:  5.9

Top Speed:  152

Attachment Attached File

And, damn, that Mazda is butt ugly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:07:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#50]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
The 308 had 208hp in '81

View Quote

Check and mate, future boy.    My 70s and 80s cars are making their 350HP on 87 octane.

Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 12 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top