Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81]
Trying to wrap this up and get it on the road by the end of the month as my new daily work truck.  

Started with a stripped cab
Frame is from a free shortbed C10 I was given. Converted it to 4wd.  

Drivetrain-  88-92ish 5.7 roller crate motor I found in the scratch/dent pile at summit for half off
4L60E LS based transmission-  learning lessons here.  It was cheap but the shit to run it wasn’t.
Transfer case out of a 89-91 squarebody suburban

Bed is a complete AMD unit-  got tired of looking at “good beds” that were rusty buckets of shit.

As it rolled in a few months ago. I got real lucky and found a K10 cab that was already stripped and had perfect floors.  Had to fix a cab corner though.  Had it blasted and coated it with epoxy.

As it sets as of today.  Still need to wrap a few things up.  Had to measure and cross ref for a driveshaft as a regular 86 k10 shaft won’t fit.  Everything is essentially new or like new.  It’s for sure not a restoration it’s more of a Johnny cash song as it has parts from 1976-2006.  I’ve done the paint work myself which is around a 5-10’ paint job but the people that have given me quotes to paint have been from 12-18k and I can buy a fuckton of paint and sandpaper for that to figure it out.  

This thing has taken all my spare time and funds that normally would have gone to guns.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, we need waaaaaay moar pics
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have just bought a 10 year old suburban and spent $35k refurbing that. Make sure your buddy brags about you in a gun forum with zero pictures too!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That blue color is really nice.

Also, put a 4BT in it!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I love OP.  No homo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
That blue color is really nice.

Also, put a 4BT in it!
View Quote

My neighbor has a 65 with one in it.  Almost the same color scheme.  It’s a neat truck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
You should have just bought a 10 year old suburban and spent $35k refurbing that. Make sure your buddy brags about you in a gun forum with zero pictures too!!
View Quote

That reference, I understood it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a lot of work!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good OP, they make a good looking truck when done right..My favorite year looks wise is the 82, but 73 is my favorite year mechanically.......So mine was a 73 truck made to look like an 82...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#9]
Nice. Brings back memories.

Did the same work on nearly the exact truck back in HS auto tech.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice work.  We really need a like button.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#11]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
That's a lot of work!!
View Quote

Not really as much as you would think.  Starting with a stripped frame and just installing the basics really helps.  

This was a lot of work and I regret doing it because I don’t think it’s going to last.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking truck. That blue paint is pretty sharp.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks sweet
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
That's looking good!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks nice.

It’s sobering/depressing to see how much it costs to buy or build something that would have cost less than $7-8k when I was in high school.  Freshly built round fender trucks and blazers, square fenders, perfect 1966 - 77 broncos, perfect 1964 - 73 mustangs, FJ40s with 350 swaps.  All could be had for around that price point when I shopping around.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kells81:

Not really as much as you would think.  Starting with a stripped frame and just installing the basics really helps.  

This was a lot of work and I regret doing it because I don't think it's going to last.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3500-3217739.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3557-3217740.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3556-3217742.jpg
View Quote
Link to this kit?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
Link to this kit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:

This was a lot of work and I regret doing it because I don't think it's going to last.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3500-3217739.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3557-3217740.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3556-3217742.jpg
Link to this kit?

Not cheap for what it is but I’m running a blazer tank so it was the solution I came up with to fill it.
LS fab
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
That is going to be awesome. Great color choice!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool OP. I can't stand old cars, but old trucks are the shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Looks nice.

It’s sobering/depressing to see how much it costs to buy or build something that would have cost less than $7-8k when I was in high school.  Freshly built round fender trucks and blazers, square fenders, perfect 1966 - 77 broncos, perfect 1964 - 73 mustangs, FJ40s with 350 swaps.  All could be had for around that price point when I shopping around.
View Quote

In high school a square body in decent shape could be picked up for about $3k. It’s ridiculous what they’re fetching now.

Back in high school a friend of mine had a 77 that was his grandfathers. After high school he went into the Navy and used part of his enlistment bonus to fix it up. Bodywork, paint, new interior. It was a pretty sharp truck when it was done.

When he was sent to Hawaii he left the truck at his mother’s house. She then let her scumbag boyfriend use it for his tree trimming business. When my buddy came back it was utterly trashed. He never spoke to her again over that.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Very cool OP. I can't stand old cars, but old trucks are the shit.
View Quote

If you don’t care about originality you can make them fairly modern.  Decent radios/bluetooth/hands free setups.  Some nice aftermarket air systems out there.  Good motors, trans, etc.  the 4x4 series doesn’t ride anywhere near as good as a modern truck but still ok.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

In high school a square body in decent shape could be picked up for about $3k. It’s ridiculous what they’re fetching now.

Back in high school a friend of mine had a 77 that was his grandfathers. After high school he went into the Navy and used part of his enlistment bonus to fix it up. Bodywork, paint, new interior. It was a pretty sharp truck when it was done.

When he was sent to Hawaii he left the truck at his mother’s house. She then let her scumbag boyfriend use it for his tree trimming business. When my buddy came back it was utterly trashed. He never spoke to her again over that.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Looks nice.

I get it,  I paid $2500 for this a week or so ago because I was cleaning my pool and noticed it popped up.  It doesn’t run and needs work but it’s a complete shortbed 4x4 diesel truck.  Probably swap the diesel out for a treefiddy or go ahead and use the LT swap I have and install a 2017+ 5.3 in front of a 4L60.  It’s a dumpster fire out there on the ask because people are looking for crazy money for piles of shit.  The flip side I’ve sold a couple of rollers that I’ve stripped parts off of for this or that in the $800-$1000 range with clean titles.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#24]

I get it,  I paid $2500 for this a week or so ago because I was cleaning my pool and noticed it popped up.  It doesn’t run and needs work but it’s a complete shortbed 4x4 diesel truck.  Probably swap the diesel out for a treefiddy or go ahead and use the LT swap I have and install a 2017+ 5.3 in front of a 4L60.  It’s a dumpster fire out there on the ask because people are looking for crazy money for piles of shit.  The flip side I’ve sold a couple of rollers that I’ve stripped parts off of for this or that in the $800-$1000 range with clean titles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/IMG_3749-3217768.jpg
View Quote

$2500 is a hell of a deal on that just going by the one picture. At this point 5.3 swaps are the way to go. An engine and transmission can be had for peanuts out of something wrecked compared to buying a crate motor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice, I've always liked the Medium blue metallic color.

I have a 1983 K10, Silverado package.  Needs a paint job but drives OK.  I redid the drivetrain a few years back and it's a strong runner.   One day I'll pull it down to the frame and do it right.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#26]

$2500 is a hell of a deal on that just going by the one picture. At this point 5.3 swaps are the way to go. An engine and transmission can be had for peanuts out of something wrecked compared to buying a crate motor.
View Quote

Current project started out with a 2022 trail boss drivetrain.  Was running into issues with trans/tunnel clearence and don’t want to fuck with body lifts so kinda put that on the back burner.  I think some of the issue is/was using a C10 frame/k10 cab so the cab is mounted a smidge lower.   I have the complete swap time harness setup for it.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I love 70s-80s 4x4 trucks
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice op! I'm jelly
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:
Dude, we need waaaaaay moar pics
View Quote
yup!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Love the old square body GM trucks.  Had a midnight blue '85.  Wish I still had it.  Later had two different '86 K5 Blazers but sold them too.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I want the 2wd frame and bed you didn’t use. I’ve wanted to build a Parnelli Jones Walker Evens Yellow step side tribute truck for the longest time. I’m just a poors though. Haven’t got my old Monte Carlo on the road yet. 🙁
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
I want the 2wd frame and bed you didn’t use. I’ve wanted to build a Parnelli Jones Walker Evens Yellow step side tribute truck for the longest time. I’m just a poors though. Haven’t got my old Monte Carlo on the road yet. 🙁
View Quote

The 2wd frame was converted to a 4wd frame.  Used ORD parts on the front and ordered factory hanger brackets for the rear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AT7WE2:
Love the old square body GM trucks.  Had a midnight blue '85.  Wish I still had it.  Later had two different '86 K5 Blazers but sold them too.  
View Quote

Box Chevy is best Chevy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ArmedBear:

I have a 1983 K10, Silverado package.  Needs a paint job but drives OK.  I redid the drivetrain a few years back and it's a strong runner.   One day I'll pull it down to the frame and do it right.
View Quote

It's Bahama Blue Metallic
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#35]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Originally Posted By ArmedBear:

This is my daughter’s truck.  I plan on taking it under the knife when she heads off to college.  It’s a nice truck but there is some fuckery abound in this “professionally” built truck.  My light blue build is leaps and bounds ahead of it even though it’s essentially the same truck/motor/etc on paper.  

Pulled the tape/plastic this AM and pushed it outside in the sun to let it harden up so I can fix some issues.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Not cheap for what it is but I'm running a blazer tank so it was the solution I came up with to fill it.
LS fab
View Quote
Dang that is high.  I'm bagged and my tanks just touch when I air out.  I've considered a body drop but I'll need to address the tank situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top