BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
More my speed.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
How to ride it is up to you, but what I figured out is the farther you twist the throttle the cooler it becomes. that bike is super clean and setup for cheat mode. I just spent time today out in the desert with my Boy. He's 120# (with a turd onboard)and13yo. He's on a CR250 RX which is nice but probly a little heavy next to that sexy thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
You make a compelling argument that's for sure.  Guy I bought it from is an acquaintance of mine and when he first mentioned he was thinking of selling I thought it was a 300XC because that was his previous bike.  I'm kinda glad it's not a 2 smoke because the four's are slightly quieter and we ride close to the neighbors.  The FMF is a little loud but only when you're really close to full throttle and this 350 has so much torque I won't be there a lot.  Hell, I'm close to retirement age.
View Quote

The 4 stroke sound usually carries way farther. I can always hear the 4 stroke guys for what seems like forever
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing that matters is you like it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The Kawi KLR650 has a massive following especially here.  Much like the Africa Twin they are a great ride for fire roads or other light duty off road.  If you want to go fast in the woods either are a dog with flees and will get you seriously hurt.  Again, if you want to go fast, light is good and heavy is for the Geritol folks, not that there is anything wrong with that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blade_Runner79:
Being a non rider, I had always assumed that the Honda Africa Twin was the epitome of ultimate off road bike...

The Kawi KLR650 has a massive following especially here.  Much like the Africa Twin they are a great ride for fire roads or other light duty off road.  If you want to go fast in the woods either are a dog with flees and will get you seriously hurt.  Again, if you want to go fast, light is good and heavy is for the Geritol folks, not that there is anything wrong with that.  

I'm one of your "geritol folks", and only ride light bikes with lots of suspension and power. This is me after a ride:

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

The 4 stroke sound usually carries way farther. I can always hear the 4 stroke guys for what seems like forever
View Quote
I started my wife riding on a used XR-200 that came with a Super Trap muffler, I would usually run up the trail until a split and wait for her to catch up so she could see where to go next. If she didn't show up shortly I'd shut the bike off and listen to see if she was still up and running. You could hear that bike all over the valley.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What's a good "I'm a retard I want to do dirt bike things but won't ever compete or be serious about it but it's reliable" dirt bike
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of want kick start just for both simplicity and aesthetics
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

I'm one of your "geritol folks", and only ride light bikes with lots of suspension and power. This is me after a ride:

View Quote
I'm not quite Geritol aged yet and I ride a KLR-650

I still have my 1996 CR250 down in the Quonset hut, it hasn't been run in about 15 years but I'm tempted to go through it and get it back up and running.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#10]
KTM's are awesome, no doubt.

Honest question though,  they are pricey. Is it beneficial to pay that or get a Honda or Kawi and throw money at it equivalent to the KTM??

Motors make similar power/CC, but maybe some race tech suspension, valves ect?

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By luckypunk:
How to ride it is up to you, but what I figured out is the farther you twist the throttle the cooler it becomes. that bike is super clean and setup for cheat mode. I just spent time today out in the desert with my Boy. He's 120# (with a turd onboard)and13yo. He's on a CR250 RX which is nice but probly a little heavy next to that sexy thing.
View Quote

Just to clarify a bit I just love riding and don't give a shit what anyone rides as long as they are riding.  I have just a good time on a Honda CRF150 as I do on my ZX-11.  Just love to ride.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice bike but 60hp??? Dont think so being that the 450s are barely at 60 these days.

I still have a 2000 cr500 i ride some single track around here lot of power and torque but a little too much for local riding.might look for a 300 2 stroke if i decide to sell the 500.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JDennis:
Honest question though,  they are pricey. Is it beneficial to pay that or get a Honda or Kawi and throw money at it equivalent to the KTM??

View Quote

I've owned them all and can only answer with best response I can.  It all depends on your skill level and how much you really plan on riding.  When I bought my WR450 I really wanted a KTM but they were almost $2K more.  The WR is a damn good bike but the Husky/KTM has much better suspension, brakes and controls.  I have never been big on Kawi off road even though I'm on my fourth liter size Ninja.      

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#15]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
What's a good "I'm a retard I want to do dirt bike things but won't ever compete or be serious about it but it's reliable" dirt bike
View Quote

Search for  Kawasaki KDX 200. No longer made, but it should fit the bill. 2 stroke with kick start.

ETA Beta and KTM (possibly a few others) offer factory kickstarters as an option, uninstalled.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
You spelled TW200 wrong.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Good bike for sure. I miss mine but a 300xcw is worlds better in the woods.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKaltwasser] [#18]
Close, but it's missing an expansion chamber with 300cc of smoker. Not much a fan of the Rekluse, we have one my son's 65xc and it it taught him bad habits. It takes a lot of the fun technical aspect out of Enduro/Extreme riding if that's your style. I could see myself being real lazy with a Rekluse.

Anyhow congrats on the new bike.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
That a good choice in bis
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Easy to hide in plain sight. Get 3-4 different colors of camo spray paint and randomly paint it in some kind of camo pattern. Make sure you do a crappy job of it. When she see's it, she will think nothing of it because it'll look like it's 20 years old and has been lying back in some pile of junk for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
CRF250F

It's not kick start, but it's a solid bike.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
You spelled TW200 wrong.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing!!

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
@WhiskersTheCat

Heres a 2024 Yamaha 2stroke with kick start. Pretty affordable for a new dirt bike.
Yamaha YZ125X
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
@WhiskersTheCat

Heres a 2024 Yamaha 2stroke with kick start. Pretty affordable for a new dirt bike.
Yamaha YZ125X
View Quote

Dude I love it so much I just can't justify it
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

For MX its what ever. The off road wide ratio KTMs are basically in a class of their own. Except the YZ250X but no EFI or E start may be considered a negative to some. It will prob be my next bike after I get bored with my little KTM thumper.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buckstrucks] [#26]
View Quote

Honda CRF250F, but the forks are hot garbage and would be considered bad in 1985.

Kawasaki KLX300R is a slightly more modern more serious machine and would be a better pick. Though it is more expensive and you have to deal with liquid cooling. Which is basically a non issue with some good rad guards.

Both are porky bastards, but you said reliable. They will outlast the high strung 4 strokes, and as much as I love two strokes I would hesitate to put an older dude on one as a first bike.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#27]
Originally Posted By buckstrucks:
Are 350s really making 60HP now days?  I would think they were in the neighborhood of 49 or 50HP.
View Quote

My research found 50 RWHP, still not 60 crank HP. But damn good and a 12,000 rpm redline!

My CR250R made 50+ crank HP with light mods and was vicious. I learned my lesson and decided MX bikes are a (very) young man's game. My next bike will be a KTM 300 offroader....2 smoke of course!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Honda CRF250F, but the forks are hot garbage and would be considered bad in 1985.

Kawasaki KLX300R is a slightly more modern more serious machine and would be a better pick. Though it is more expensive and you have to deal with liquid cooling. Which is basically a non issue with some good rad guards.

Both are porky bastards, but you said reliable. They will outlast the high strung 4 strokes, and as much as I love two strokes I would hesitate to put an older dude on one as a first bike.
View All Quotes

Posts like this is why I love GD.

We all know what we are. We're forum dudes living in a social media world. Thanks brother
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Neither has a kickstarter, though
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats!!!

I'm so pumped this week, last week we got a 2019 250XCF for our 15 year old and last night I found a Yamaha 2015 TTR 230 for our 13 year old.  I got my 2001 300EXC running right again and I just need to get my boys dialed in so we can go hit the trails.  If it goes well then I can see about something newer for me
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
2011 KTM530exc enters the chat….
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Thank you brother
View All Quotes

I would check all the ads in every local media, and visit dealers in your area. One dealer in my area always has a bunch of used trade ins.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

KTM’s are light
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice bike!

This is the only thing KTM I have.  Got it a few months ago to ride to work.  It's so light and torquey, it's a blast to rip around town

Attachment Attached File

When I want to rip around my property, I have my CRF450R... The previous owner put a +5 rear sprocket on it.  She's a handful

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PCUT] [#37]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

KTM’s are light
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

KTM’s are light

So are the japanese bikes... that cost less and win more championships.

GNCC - jap bikes
NHHA - jap bikes
Supercross - jap bikes
Baja - jap bikes
AMA MX - jap bikes

FIM Enduro - jap bikes
Dakar - jap bikes

Hard enduro or slow 2 stroke trail riding - KTM family of bikes.

Plus the jap bikes are more reliable.   No need to carry extra fuel injectors...fuel pumps... or chase broken wiring harness in the steering stem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Are 350s really making 60HP now days?  I would think they were in the neighborhood of 49 or 50HP.
View Quote

Enter the 350 SX-F. At 224.65 pounds without fuel, the 350 weighs in about two pounds heavier than the 250 but only one pound lighter than the larger 450.
And, according to KTM’s power department, the 350 pumps out 57 peak horsepower, 10 more than the 250 and six less than the 450.
The frames, wheels, and other components are the same across the three SX-F models, making the engine the biggest differentiator.
https://www.cyclenews.com/2024/02/article/2024-ktm-350-sx-f-review/
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PCUT:

So are the japanese bikes... that cost less and win more championships.

GNCC - jap bikes
NHHA - jap bikes
Supercross - jap bikes
Baja - jap bikes
AMA MX - jap bikes

FIM Enduro - jap bikes
Dakar - jap bikes

Hard enduro or slow 2 stroke trail riding - KTM family of bikes.
View Quote

Lol, you can't be serious with such stupid ass drivel @PCUT.  KTM has won more Supercross, Hare Scrabbles and Enduro championships in the last ten years than any of the Japanese manufacturers.  If KTM didn't have a racing program 20 years ago, No Shit they didn't win championships.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:12:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B] [#40]
I owned a KTM 2019 350 XC and a KTM 2019 300 XCWtpi.
Both were fun to ride in the PNW gnar.
The 350 had a bigger hit on the top end while the 300 could chug up anything at any rpm.
If you were not riding the 350 at peak rpms/hp it was a great trail goat.
It had a full FMF system, a JD Jetting tuner and a Rekluse.
Never had any flame-out or stall issues.

The 300 had a GET ECU, Rekluse and an FMF Fatty  pipe.
It was a trail goat, it would ride over anything.

Some days I felt like a 2 stroke, some days I felt like a 4 stroke.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#41]
Funny you say that because every time she sees one of my new pistols I tell her, hell I think you have even shot that one a couple times.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
Aren't bikes like guns?  Once they're in the garage or safe, you get to say you've had that one for years!!

Funny you say that because every time she sees one of my new pistols I tell her, hell I think you have even shot that one a couple times.  

I hope you had an orangish dirt bike or at least a giant pumpkin with two tires duct taped to it hanging out before today.

Or you may be fucked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Practice saying  this . Oh no dear , I have owned this for years , it was over at xxxx's house so he could work on it for me and it got buried behind his other stuff.
View Quote

Wrong,

"Honey, it was on sale. I saved more than what it was supposed to cost...."

Atleast that's the BS my wife uses on me....
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:23:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Neither has a kickstarter, though
View Quote

I must have missed something about whiskers needing a kick starter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Like.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Yeah, if you're into Harleys.
View Quote

Just busting your balls @Anastasios I know Beta makes a hell of a bike, never ridden one but we have a local dealer that sells them.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
6 sp wide ratio is nice
View Quote

Yep.  '12 350 XCF-W

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
CRF250F

View All Quotes
CRF250F

+1

I have one and it will be my 'old man' bike.  After that I'll ride my CRF150F when I need depends.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

+1

I have one and it will be my 'old man' bike.  After that I'll ride my CRF150F when I need depends.
View Quote
I sold my YZ450F for one as it wasn't a good trail bike.  I already have pit bike plans for my son's 110F.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I sold my YZ450F for one as it wasn't a good trail bike.  I already have pit bike plans for my son's 110F.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157230/IMG_8205_jpeg-3218151.JPG
View All Quotes

+1

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157230/IMG_8205_jpeg-3218151.JPG

Dood.

We're in the same town and I've been riding that park since '76.

We should make that trip together sometime.

We're heading east to ride someplace in Tennessee over Memorial Day Weekend.  My wife set it up and we're meeting my daughter & her boyfriend there.
We'll have my KTM, 2 CRF150F's, and TTR125.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Yep.  '12 350 XCF-W

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/217473/Dirt_adv_setup_2_png-3218105.JPG
View Quote

We also have the 500 XCW that is plated and a Husky 501 FE that is plated.  I bet that 350 is a very smooth ride my friend.
Page / 4
Top Top