Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/4/2024 3:30:00 AM EDT
Human intelligence scores are dropping across the US for the first time, research suggests, and experts warn technology could be to blame.

As research warns IQ is falling for first time EVER.... our map reveals average scores in every US state

Average IQ levels in the US dropped to 98, falling below the national standards
   Experts believe the drop in IQ levels is due to increasing technology use
   READ MORE: IQ scores in the US have DROPPED for first time in nearly 100 years

By Nikki Main Science Reporter For Dailymail.Com

Published: 14:26 EDT, 3 May 2024 | Updated: 16:30 EDT, 3 May 2024

Human intelligence scores are dropping across the US for the first time, research suggests, and experts warn technology could be to blame.

Since 1905, there's been a 30-point increase based on scores in logic, vocabulary, spatial reasoning and visual and mathematical problem-solving skills.

The average IQ score in the US currently stands at 98, and the average rating was 100 up until last year, but the rankings vary by a gap of about eight points between states, with New Hampshire ranking first with an average IQ of 103.2.

More research needs to be conducted to determine why IQ scores are falling across the country, but one expert speculated that a drop in reading and an increase in media entertainment, like YouTube, is at fault.

There are also concerns that phones degrade our memory and recall because there is less need to store information with Google at our finger tips.
Those aged 18-22 saw the the biggest drop in IQ tests between 2006 and 2018, the study found

Those aged 18-22 saw the the biggest drop in IQ tests between 2006 and 2018, the study found

Exactly half of US states have an average IQ of 100 or above, with New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Vermont coming in the top four while North Dakota and Wyoming tied for the fifth spot.

Meanwhile, those ranked in the bottom five include New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Nevada, according to World Population Review.

Environmental factors can influence IQ difference between states, including access to education and socio-economic status, Dr. Stefan Dombrowski, a psychology professor at Rider University, told DailyMail.com.

He compared it to the early 1900s, when people made assertions that the English were intellectually superior than Italians because they scored higher on IQ tests, but it was only because the Italians weren't fluent in English.

'That might be the case in California, which is really diverse,' Dombrowski said, 'but it's really difficult to disentangle.'

Moar
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:34:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#1]
Being Gen x and getting to watch the boom of technology, I was excited to see how much more intelligent, or at least better informed, we would become having all of human knowledge accessible in our pockets.

That wasn't happened.

Instead it gave the very stupid a voice and those that are easily led a way to confirm their biases instead of seeking sources of truth.

Quite paradoxical it seems.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Abolish all of the laws that protect dumbfucks from themselves.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I can sense my IQ is falling.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:39:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#4]
Idiocracy was a factual prediction.
ERA Intelligent people don't want to have children meanwhile we allow low IQ people to flood into our country from third world shitholes and we support lazy people that choose not to work with SNAP and EBT encouraging them to have more children.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Why be smart when my phone tells me what to do and how to do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Gender bullshit is more important
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Being Gen x and getting to watch the boom of technology, I was excited to see how much more intelligent, or at least better informed, we would become having all of human knowledge accessible in our pockets.

That wasn't happened.

Instead it gave the very stupid a voice and those that are easily led a way to confirm their biases instead of seeking sources of truth.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
We should change our demographics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#9]
We subsidized the breeding of the dumbest and most unproductive parts of our population. The statistical impact of doing so is rather predictable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Primecube:

As research warns IQ is falling for first time EVER.... our map reveals average scores in every US state

Average IQ levels in the US dropped to 98, falling below the national standards
   Experts believe the drop in IQ levels is due to increasing technology use
   READ MORE: IQ scores in the US have DROPPED for first time in nearly 100 years

By Nikki Main Science Reporter For Dailymail.Com

Published: 14:26 EDT, 3 May 2024 | Updated: 16:30 EDT, 3 May 2024

Since 1905, there's been a 30-point increase based on scores in logic, vocabulary, spatial reasoning and visual and mathematical problem-solving skills.

The average IQ score in the US currently stands at 98, and the average rating was 100 up until last year, but the rankings vary by a gap of about eight points between states, with New Hampshire ranking first with an average IQ of 103.2.

More research needs to be conducted to determine why IQ scores are falling across the country, but one expert speculated that a drop in reading and an increase in media entertainment, like YouTube, is at fault.

There are also concerns that phones degrade our memory and recall because there is less need to store information with Google at our finger tips.

Exactly half of US states have an average IQ of 100 or above, with New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Vermont coming in the top four while North Dakota and Wyoming tied for the fifth spot.

Meanwhile, those ranked in the bottom five include New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Nevada, according to World Population Review.

Environmental factors can influence IQ difference between states, including access to education and socio-economic status, Dr. Stefan Dombrowski, a psychology professor at Rider University, told DailyMail.com.

He compared it to the early 1900s, when people made assertions that the English were intellectually superior than Italians because they scored higher on IQ tests, but it was only because the Italians weren't fluent in English.

'That might be the case in California, which is really diverse,' Dombrowski said, 'but it's really difficult to disentangle.'

Moar
View Quote

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
IDIOCRACY Opening Scene (2006) Mike Judge
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats what happens when 20 million illegals flood the country.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By liber45:
Thats what happens when 20 million illegals flood the country.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

IQ taken as an average will fall once sufficiently diluted with lower IQ populations.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys are forgetting that the COVID lockdowns had kids sitting at home dicking around instead of exercising their brains.

Not that a flood of illegal immigrants isn't part of it, but there's more to the story IMO
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a good example of our institutions of higher learning.

Dumb NPC'S CAN’T Answer EXTREMELY Simple Questions!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Average IQ is defined to be 100.  If the average falls to 98, then all scores are standardized with 98 adjusted to 100.

As to raw intelligence declining… well, that’s to be expected when you import working class immigrants in greater numbers than your nations natural births.

Average height in the US also began to decline for the first time in recent years for the same reason.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#17]
No shit..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
It is what happens when the top rung is not breeding while the bottom rung is breeding exponentially, because the top rung is to busy trying to maintain descent a quality of life while being forced to pay for the bottom run at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#19]
It's been happening for 20 years now. Millennials and zoomers, despite having access to more information than any other generation, are the most ignorant.

I'm starting to think I'm one of the smartest people in the country. Not because I'm empirically more intelligent, mind you- but because the bell curve has skewed so badly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
It's been happening for 20 years now. Millennials and zoomers, despite having access to more information than any other generation, are the most ignorant.

I'm starting to think I'm one of the smartest people in the country. Not because I'm empirically more intelligent, mind you- but because the bell curve has skewed so badly.
View Quote

We live in an information society, not an informed society
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]

That wasn't happened.

View Quote

I believed the Same thing!!

All the Knowledge in the World at our Fingertips.  And all we get is twisted dancing Freaks on Tik Toc...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm it’s a conundrum to be sure.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By another_shooter:
I can sense my IQ is falling.
View Quote

Mine definitely is!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
You no longer have to know anything, you can look up a way to half ass it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398238/IMG_8252_png-3204986.JPG

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s definitely the high level of technology in my state. That’s the cause, yep.

I feel bad for New Hampshire not having electricity or computers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been saying this for the last ten years or more. People are getting dumber on average. It's astounding how common sense and general intelligence has waned recently. I blame some of it on a lack of consequences...for everything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
We subsidized the breeding of the dumbest and most unproductive parts of our population. The statistical impact of doing so is rather predictable.
View Quote

Yep, its vote buying for generations.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Since 1905, there's been a 30-point increase based on scores in logic, vocabulary, spatial reasoning and visual and mathematical problem-solving skills. The average IQ score in the US currently stands at 98, and the average rating was 100 up until last year ...

So the average IQ was 70 something in 1905 in those areas?

I doubt it. I've found the education system has lowered standards so much they're happy if little Bobby can read at all let alone to grade level.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL

It’s a normal distribution with a mean of 100. The average never changes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#31]
beat, but we are living Idiocracy
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#32]

That wasn't happened.

View Quote

Seems like your technology based grammar check failed you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bulldog8:
Here is a good example of our institutions of higher learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdnzigxX6jQ
View Quote

They all vote and will violently attack you for disagreeing with their believes ... in any one of the 53 states for a 20 minute quarter hour.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Not surprised.  The movie Idiocracy will probably become real.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#35]
For Cripes sake…jay Leno used to have a bit on his shows interviewing students back when his Tonight Show was airing…been happening a long time…
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Of course, technology is the culprit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398238/IMG_8252_png-3204986.JPG

View Quote

This.  Only this.

The "researcher" here is either an idiot or a government plant.  IQ can't change quickly.  Two points in a few years is genetically impossible.

What can change is your sample.   CA has a much higher number of brilliant people not because it is CA, but because smart people move there to make money in tech.  However, those smart people may be in the news or in Forbes 400, but they are a small part of the population.  They are far outweighed by a century of previous immigration and the recent wholesale immigration form low IQ countries.  Of course, like the reason that the above map can never have a title, the fact that different populations have different IQ's (as shown by Herrnstein and Murray in "The Bell Curve" - and never refuted) is insanely politically incorrect.

The same thing with the South.  It is a fact that blacks, on average, are significantly less intelligent than whites.  The same with the demographics on the map above (I can't vouch for the map, as there is no source, but it appears to be relatively accurate based on other readings.)  The Dem/commies are flooding the US with low IQ people that they hope will soon become low IQ voters.

(But don't worry, importing a few tens of thousands of Hamas/Gazans will certainly fix everything, see the map...)

That being said, white IQ will also slowly drop.  Some due to inter-breeding (inter-marriage is much less frequent than out of wedlock inter-breeding, no matter what every commercial on TV is trying to propagandize now) but mostly due to the lack of family structure, poor educational systems, and lastly, dependence on tech.  Also, as mentioned above, the higher end college people marrying only other college people is a fairly recent trend, and will actually make the overall IQ level worse, as it will be more stratified.  Of course, since there are far fewer men in college now (40% and dropping), it may be self corrected by wokeness.

This will take a while, but it is happening.

How to solve it?  Significantly higher moral and educational standards.  Chances of that happening in the current real world?  Zip, nada, zero.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, that's what happens when you "end whiteness."
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#40]
All according to plan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#41]
Originally Posted By Echd:
View Quote

Veiled comment noted

Anyway, the comments show as much as obviously some didn't comprehend the article.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:33:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#42]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
Veiled comment noted
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
Veiled comment noted
Oh no, not a veiled comment!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#43]
145'er checking in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#44]
President Camacho can figure this out
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I like money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VillageIdiot2] [#46]
Won't be too far off where even the lowest common denominator will be able to interface with A.I. and significantly increase his intelligence.
Yes we are opening a whole new can of worms with the notion of connecting your brain to Skynet, and the possible consequences in doing so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By runcible:
Oh no, not a veiled comment!
View Quote

Is that the same as a "code word?"

By no means discuss the completely obvious reasons behind the sensationalist headline.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Could be the cause...

...lol, its absolutely one of them
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Thats the major cause of it...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:46:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#50]
View Quote

That sums it up nicely.

I would add that we, to some degree, forced the most intelligent and productive to delay child bearing to subsidize the dumbest and least productive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top