Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 8:47:04 AM EDT
https://www.wkbn.com/news/ohio/ohio-high-court-rules-on-firing-a-warning-shot/

In the Ohio Supreme Court decision. Justice Melody Steward wrote that Ohio’s self-defense law doesn’t require an “intent to harm or kill another” but just the “intent to repel or escape force.”

She said firing toward the other man in an attempt to stop him is sufficient.
View Quote

If you want to nerd out on the court ruling:

https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2024/2024-Ohio-776.pdf

https://www.courtnewsohio.gov/cases/2024/SCO/0307/221482.asp

A Clark County man was entitled to argue self-defense when he intentionally shot toward a person, and was not required to show he intended to kill or harm the man who threatened him, the Supreme Court of Ohio ruled today.

A divided Supreme Court vacated the felonious assault conviction of Tyler Wilson for his altercation at a Springfield gas station in 2021. At trial, Wilson was acquitted of attempted murder but convicted of felonious assault after he fired a shot at Billy Reffett. The shot struck the window frame of Reffett’s truck, near his head.

The trial judge refused to instruct the jury to consider Wilson’s argument that he acted in self-defense. The judge ruled Wilson was not claiming self-defense because Wilson testified that he did not aim the gun at Reffett and had no intention of harming him but was just trying to get Reffett to “back off.”

In the Court’s lead opinion, Justice Melody Stewart stated that the Ohio self-defense law does not require an intent to harm or kill another, just the “intent to repel or escape force.” Shooting toward another with the intent to stop an aggressor is sufficient to justify a self-defense jury instruction, she concluded.

The Supreme Court remanded the case to the Clark County Common Pleas Court to vacate Wilson’s sentence and conduct further proceedings.

Justices Michael P. Donnelly and Jennifer Brunner joined Justice Stewart’s opinion. Justice Patrick F. Fischer concurred in judgment only without a written opinion.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Joseph T. Deters wrote that Wilson’s version of what had happened did not warrant a self-defense instruction.

Because Wilson insisted that he was not aiming the gun at Reffett or trying to shoot him, Wilson was arguing that he had not committed felonious assault. Arguing he was not guilty of felonious assault is different than claiming he acted in self-defense, which would require Wilson to admit he attempted to harm Reffett but was justified in doing so, Justice Deters explained.

Chief Justice Sharon L. Kennedy and Justice R. Patrick DeWine joined Justice Deters’ opinion.
View Quote

more at the link
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Warning shots are dumb. Not saying it should be a crime if no one's hurt but it's still stupid.

If it's time to shoot people then shoot them, don't just waste ammo. Throwing around random rounds carries with it a huge liability.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The bullet never misses.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
You're absolutely still accountable for every bullet fired.  It'll be very situation specific that lets you be successful with this argument.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#5]
Let me preface by saying I don’t think a warning shot is generally a good idea.

But, there are certain people who aren’t nearly as prepared or confident in defending themselves with lethal force who may turn to a ‘warning shot’ as a reasonable means of escalation on the defense continuum, with noble intentions, and I don’t think that they should be penalized for it.

For example there are multiple men on this site who have had to use lethal force in real world situations - let’s say a weaker individual with less resolve, or less confidence in their ability to use lethal force had been in that situation and fired a warning shot into the dirt. If said shot stopped the bad guy/threat why on earth would anyone argue that the shooter should be somehow punished?

Maybe I’m wrong but I tend to side with, and give a lot of grace to, anyone who is legitimately defending themselves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If you intend to shoot someone, but miss, is that then a warning shot?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
View Quote

No, but it could be hard to prove otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
If he was justified in shooting the person a near miss should get a pass.
View Quote

Agreed. I think this is a good ruling.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

According to the Ohio Supreme Court. A shot into a dudes car door frame he’s sitting in is not a warning shot. Good argument though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Reasonable.

Not everyone is willing to prevent attacks with lethal force and saying that using a firearm by sending a warning shot to prevent escalation is not protected but shooting a mother fucker DRT, is? That sounds as dumb as it did the first time I heard it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
If he was justified in shooting the person a near miss should get a pass.

Yep

Jay
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

But, there are certain people who aren’t nearly as prepared or confident in defending themselves with lethal force who may turn to a ‘warning shot’ as a reasonable means of escalation on the defense continuum, with noble intentions, and I don’t think that they should be penalized for it.

For example there are multiple men on this site who have had to use lethal force in real world situations - let’s say a weaker individual with less resolve, or less confidence in their ability to use lethal force had been in that situation and fired a warning shot into the dirt. If said shot stopped the bad guy/threat why on earth would anyone argue that the shooter should be somehow punished?

Maybe I’m wrong but I tend to side with, and give a lot of grace to, anyone who is legitimately defending themselves.
View Quote

All of this.
Let's add to it the ones who've had to take a life and can't live with it. Would it not be fair to let them use a warning shot?

And yes, you're responsible for every bullet you free.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#15]
Imho, there are levels of escalation beyond zero and shot dead, because in our society, you can very easily be totally justified in shooting a very bad armed man DRT,  who admits he’s there to rape / murder you, but still lose everything in your life, home, car, retirement , job, saving, friends, family, wife, and serve life in prison simply if your on the wrong side of race, current politics, if you get the wrong prosecutor and a sympathetic jury who liked the dead guy more than you. If you can avoid killing someone, generally that’s a huge plus on every angle of this scenario because you won’t have legal protections and government money and lawyers backing you like a soldier killing a enemy soldier, cop shooting a armed felon, nuke security guard shooting a armed trespasser, etc, which is something you had best consider carefully before going weapons free in various situations. Because even if you’re 100% right in the situation, you can still lose everything.

Scenerio begins.

Verbal orders…. ……………………..FUCK OFF !  GET AWAY !  We called the cops !
Brandishing / showing your armed….im armed and will shoot you !
Warning shots
Wounding
Shot dead.

Obviously every encounters different, every bad guy, every bad guys intent, and location of incident.  Middle of New York City at a thanksgiving parade far different than only the two of you in the middle of Everglades national park on an isolated hammock. Many encounters you will be forced to immediately draw and shoot to kill and be lucky if you survive, others the confrontation drags out for hours because the bad guy isn’t actually attacking, just menacing you, making threats, etc , your inside and them outside, across a river, in a closet together, and everything in between.

Iv personally avoided three dangerous scenarios simply by showing I was armed, hostile aggressive behavior by others instantly turned into, nope, nope, nope, “ we’re good man, sorry, peace out ! “ some for sure could probably have legally gotten away with shooting them, due to the situation, had things gone ok in court, which isn’t ever guaranteed, but luckily never had to find out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]
It’ll be great when that warning shot strays and hits some innocent person and kills them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Warning shots are dumb. Not saying it should be a crime if no one's hurt but it's still stupid.

If it's time to shoot people then shoot them, don't just waste ammo. Throwing around random rounds carries with it a huge liability.
View Quote

Agreed, But so does killing/seriously injuring someone.

In a perfect world the defender would be shielded from having their lives ruined from civil and malicious criminal prosecution if they actually used their gun in self defense.

Alas, if one can accomplish the same goal by a warning shot (in an intelligent direction) then all the good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Good ruling.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#19]
If I have to bring a gun into a conversation, there won't be any warning shots. It's not coming out unless I need to use it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:24:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#21]
Let me preface by saying I don't think a warning shot is generally a good idea.

But, there are certain people who aren't nearly as prepared or confident in defending themselves with lethal force who may turn to a 'warning shot' as a reasonable means of escalation on the defense continuum, with noble intentions, and I don't think that they should be penalized for it.

For example there are multiple men on this site who have had to use lethal force in real world situations - let's say a weaker individual with less resolve, or less confidence in their ability to use lethal force had been in that situation and fired a warning shot into the dirt. If said shot stopped the bad guy/threat why on earth would anyone argue that the shooter should be somehow punished?

Maybe I'm wrong but I tend to side with, and give a lot of grace to, anyone who is legitimately defending themselves.
View Quote
This. Most people really don't want to shoot and possibly kill another human even if that person poses a legitimate threat. They just want the threat to go away. If a warning shot ends the threat then that's fine. Court ruling is good. Punishing someone for defending themselves effectively while using restraint should be praised, not punished.

ETA: Above is assuming scenario allows the luxury of a warning shot and any subsequent shots, if needed,  are on target.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool, wonder if people will run with this?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:28:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#23]
Could this hypothetical happen?  Suppose you do shoot and kill someone in legitimate self-defense, then you get sued by surviving family for failing to use a warning shot first "because that would've been enough", you didn't need to kill him, blah blah blah.  I wouldn't be surprised if some ambulance chasing attorney looking for a big payout makes this argument.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I’ve fired a lot of warning shots in my life, what’s so dumb about them?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I agree. I don't generally think it's good tactics, but if shooting is justified that a warning shot shouldn't be penalized.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

View All Quotes

You have a fired lots of warning shots? Are you referring to using them against animals or people?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#28]
A bullet hitting your sternum at 1,000fps is a pretty good warning that your actions aren't appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Could this hypothetical happen?  Suppose you do shoot and kill someone in legitimate self-defense, then you get sued by surviving family for failing to use a warning shot first "because that would've been enough", you didn't need to kill him, blah blah blah.  I wouldn't be surprised if some ambulance chasing attorney looking for a big payout makes this argument.
View Quote

It's really no different than the tards who see a body cam video and say "they could have just shot him in the leg!" because they watch too much TV.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

In a perfect world the defender would be shielded from having their lives ruined from civil and malicious criminal prosecution if they actually used their gun in self defense.

Alas, if one can accomplish the same goal by a warning shot (in an intelligent direction) then all the good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

This case exemplifies this since they were originally charged with attempted murder despite just firing a warning shot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

You have a fired lots of warning shots? Are you referring to using them against animals or people?
View All Quotes

Mostly geese, quail (shouldn’t be distracted by the “easier” shot that pops up in the periphery as you are starting to fire) an occasional crossing shot on a pheasant, and most infuriating, a pheasant that was coming straight at me at high speed. Shot both barrels at him, the last I knew I was behind him, my back was arched, knees bent and shooting as far behind me as I could contort my body to be. After the miss I turned around and watched as a really easy going away shot on a rooster flew away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Mostly geese, quail (shouldn't be distracted by the "easier" shot that pops up in the periphery as you are starting to fire) an occasional crossing shot on a pheasant, and most infuriating, a pheasant that was coming straight at me at high speed. Shot both barrels at him, the last I knew I was behind him, my back was arched, knees bent and shooting as far behind me as I could contort my body to be. After the miss I turned around and watched as a really easy going away shot on a rooster flew away.
View All Quotes

I've fired a lot of warning shots in my life, what's so dumb about them?

Mostly geese, quail (shouldn't be distracted by the "easier" shot that pops up in the periphery as you are starting to fire) an occasional crossing shot on a pheasant, and most infuriating, a pheasant that was coming straight at me at high speed. Shot both barrels at him, the last I knew I was behind him, my back was arched, knees bent and shooting as far behind me as I could contort my body to be. After the miss I turned around and watched as a really easy going away shot on a rooster flew away.

LOL!

I have a cousin who has fired a shitload of warning shots at deer and doves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Warning shots are a retards gamble
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
Warning shots are a retards gamble
View Quote

Guys like us know better, sure, but the average person who might own a gun and finds themselves in a self defense situation might fire a warning shot first, for all the reasons I listed above.

Is it a good idea? Probably not, but I’d never penalize someone who did that in a legitimate situation
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#35]
A warning shot is called a miss~
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#36]
The idea that a warning shot is somehow less legal and reasonable or more dangerous than actually shooting someone is completely asinine.

It may not be the best tactical move in all situations, but it's idiotic to say that they aren't reasonable self-defense actions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Definite maybe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top