Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZW17:

That is 100% blight, lending itself to be American Chestnut most likely.

That tree will most likely be dead within two seasons. If it loads up with chestnuts this season, it’s preparing to die.

View Quote

The only thing that gives me a sliver of hope is that this tree has clearly been sick for a long time. Dead and mostly rotten branches wired in place by vines. What bark remains on them has that same splitting / cracking.

I do wonder (though I know this is not likely) if this tree has been fighting blight for a long time and surviving its attacks through either hypovirulence or some other from of resistance.

Time will tell, in several ways.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my hybrids is leafing out:

A persimmon we planted a couple months ago:

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]

I love that we have a 5 page thread on it, there's a private foundation, yet no government effort to do what we're doing.

You do not need any more proof that what's important to regular people is not important to the Federal government. And while no one will probably vote on it, there's tons of men and women that just want younger generations to see an American Chesnut. In many cases, one they themselves haven't enjoyed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 13Joker:

Looked that up.  Not really a cure, but a bandaid and one that sounds like a huge pita.

Why don't systemic fungicides work?
View Quote

Systemics for trees are exceptionally expensive with little practical application to anything other than exceptionally high value shade, yard, or ornamental individuals.  

If you’ve got a significant tree, like the Compton Oak, yeah, then it might be worth it.

Anything else?  The juice isn’t nearly worth the squeeze.

Compton Oak by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thread OP. I had no idea about American Chestnut. Now I want to plant a few on my land.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If you end up with a bunch of viable seeds I’d love
To get some as well. I’ve got 2 acres and a couple nice chestnut would be great.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Systemics for trees are exceptionally expensive with little practical application to anything other than exceptionally high value shade, yard, or ornamental individuals.  

If you’ve got a significant tree, like the Compton Oak, yeah, then it might be worth it.

Anything else?  The juice isn’t nearly worth the squeeze.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52853922612_15a6223c21_h.jpgCompton Oak by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

I thought that looked familiar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
We planted three about 4 years ago here in Arkansas. One left. We will try again. They are awesome trees. I remember a couple in Ohio my grandfather planted. The idiots cut them down for a parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Never knew they were endangered.  Cool thread, I'll plant some if you end up sending seeds out
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HEMIsphere05:
Never knew they were endangered.  Cool thread, I'll plant some if you end up sending seeds out
View Quote

The American Chesnut foundation will sell you some as well, you just gotta be a member.

https://support.tacf.org/membership/new-seed-level

If you guys are serious, put up. Spend money either in nurseries or from them. Buy them, plant them. Even better provide those people with data, date planted, etc.

They're going to keep dying. The data we can supply is what will help future research. No one is going to do it but you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The American Chestnut research and Restoration Project.

https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/index.php
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
This is a stupid question , but is it not possible to grow them to maturity in a controlled, fungus-free environment (does the pathogen affect the seeds/nuts)? Or is that just too cost prohibitive?

View Quote

It’s possible, if you want to set up a bio dome facility and hermetically seal it. It’d have to be completely self contained with all kinds of measures to filter and kill the fungus.

You can assume that there are fugal spores everywhere in the atmosphere right now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:33:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#15]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#16]
Originally Posted By big_sti:
Boomers in here getting excited over a tree
View Quote

Please don't troll this thread. This has been a nice informative discussion.

Besides, I'm a millennial.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buckstrucks:
subbed for updates.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:
Boomers in here getting excited over a tree

It's a great thread.
If I could figure out how grow a couple of these out in the middle of this desolated treeless area I live in, I sure would.
And my Dad was a boomer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#19]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I love that we have a 5 page thread on it, there's a private foundation, yet no government effort to do what we're doing.

You do not need any more proof that what's important to regular people is not important to the Federal government. And while no one will probably vote on it, there's tons of men and women that just want younger generations to see an American Chesnut. In many cases, one they themselves haven't enjoyed.
View All Quotes

I mean, I'd hate to throw water on a good narrative and all, but the American Chestnut Foundation has indeed received federal grant money. The USDA has a whole program to support this kind of research, it's the kind of stuff we usually see threads about implying how much of a waste it is.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs-initiatives/cig-conservation-innovation-grants

https://cig.sc.egov.usda.gov/

https://cig.sc.egov.usda.gov/projects/use-chestnut-establish-forest-plantings-reclaimed-mine-sites-appalachia-develop-online

https://cig.sc.egov.usda.gov/projects/planting-potentially-blight-resistant-american-chestnuts-actively-managed-forest-increase

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

It's not just the American Chestnut.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
On the subject of tree nuts:

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#22]
[Deleted]
View Quote

Nice waste of your .02 posts per day average.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's one of my American Chesnut saplings. It started to leaf over the weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome thread, very educational. I’m going to get some seeds/saplings when available and plant a few on my acreage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]
What soil do I use to start the seeds I bought?  I plan on keeping them in pots for a couple/few years before planting them outside so the deet don't get to them.  

I'm reading the soil needs to be acidic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I got my seeds planted today.  Now I wait...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
What soil do I use to start the seeds I bought?  I plan on keeping them in pots for a couple/few years before planting them outside so the deet don't get to them.  

I'm reading the soil needs to be acidic.
View Quote

Potting soil is fine.  I put mine in the ground when it was very small, just a month old, after I sprouted it in potting soil.  I ringed it with galvanized ducting in the ground to keep the voles away.  

Putting a tree in the ground early has it's advantages.  The roots have room to grow.  Pots constrain them and can lead to later problems (girdling roots) if not transplanted properly.

My tree is doing fine in limestone (higher pH) soil.  Soil pH may not play as much a factor in cultivated trees as often thought.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Filbert?
View Quote

Yes. I planted 10 of them several years ago. Only six lived. The lawn mower may have played a role in that.

Biggest ones should have fruit this year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks in part to this thread my wife has order a shit  ton of chestnuts and other trees.  Least two dozen in the last week alone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Covertness:
Thanks in part to this thread my wife has order a shit  ton of chestnuts and other trees.  Least two dozen in the last week alone.
View Quote

I started seeds for the garden yesterday, basic vegetable stuff.  I also grabbed some acorns to plant (we have lots of oak but I figured I'd just try and see what happens).  I also started some pear and apple seeds.  We'll see what happens.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I learned from this thread.  Thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Rating thread as epic.

Thank you, OP, for bringing to us a glimmer of hope to a sad page of American history.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Creature:
Rating thread as epic.

Thank you, OP, for bringing to us a glimmer of hope to a sad page of American history.
View Quote

Just do it bro.

Just go buy seeds or a sapling and plant it. The government is gay as shit they're not going to. You need to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I take it they probably wouldn't do too well here, still cool to see so many rearing new ones. Maybe one day they will dominate your forests again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
I take it they probably wouldn't do too well here, still cool to see so many rearing new ones. Maybe one day they will dominate your forests again.
View Quote

Definitely not in our lifetime, but that's the cool part. If all us old guys can plant a whole bunch than maybe one evolves and our kid's kids might get to plant them.

And then 200 years later someone can enjoy them. It will not happen under our watch, which is actually really cool.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ll take some OP. I’ll pay for shipping and a few dollars for your efforts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#41]

Definitely not in our lifetime, but that's the cool part. If all us old guys can plant a whole bunch than maybe one evolves and our kid's kids might get to plant them.

And then 200 years later someone can enjoy them. It will not happen under our watch, which is actually really cool.
View Quote

Yeah, figured it would take a few life times but it's a noble endeavor and I hope enough interest persists to see it through.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Yeah, figured it would take a few life times but it's a noble endeavor and I hope enough interest persists to see it through.
View All Quotes

Nothing more western than planting something you know will die, hoping it eventually won't die.

That one day some kids who never knew us will enjoy a tree they never planted. That some animals who are totally without reason will be happy because they have a source of food. That maybe we can reverse the course of a retard from NY.

Maybe someone else can have what we never did. And that is fucking awesome
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
No real updates, leaves are growing but still very small. The old tree was one of the last on our hill to put out leaves.

Might take a walk around and get pictures of the leaf buds tomorrow since it's supposed to be nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

There’s more than one private foundation.

Here’s one local to me that focuses specifically on the Ozark Chinquapin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:16:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#46]
Where can I get American Chestnut seeds?  Every site I find is OOS or requires a $300 membership.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Where can I get American Chestnut seeds?  Every site I find is OOS or requires a $300 membership.
View Quote

I got mine here.  It was linked a couple of pages back.  $10 for 5 seeds.  

https://store.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/products/american-chestnut?variant=42663267958837
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#48]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

I got mine here.  It was linked a couple of pages back.  $10 for 5 seeds.  

https://store.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/products/american-chestnut?variant=42663267958837
View Quote

Thanks.  Sold out.

I can find seedlings, but I prefer planting them in the fall.  Planting them in the spring and keeping them alive through a dry summer is hit or miss.

I just transplanted some black walnuts that came from seed I put in a vegetable bed 2 years ago.  I hope I can keep them alive.

I'm 56yo.  My dad said, "25 years after you die, somebody might get some nuts off those trees."  I've planted a lot of trees that will never shade me.  I just hope
somebody in my family still owns them at that point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Thanks.  Sold out.

I can find seedlings, but I prefer planting them in the fall.  Planting them in the spring and keeping them alive through a dry summer is hit or miss.

I just transplanted some black walnuts that came from seed I put in a vegetable bed 2 years ago.  I hope I can keep them alive.

I'm 56yo.  My dad said, "25 years after you die, somebody might get some nuts off those trees."  I've planted a lot of trees that will never shade me.  I just hope
somebody in my family still owns them at that point.
View Quote

Thats my theory.  My land has a bunch of mature trees but I have a bunch of seeds started.  I have 20 oaks planted in pots right now along with the American Chestnuts.  I want to get some maples planted also.  They'll stay in pots for a few years so the deer don't destroy them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Flindelaaf:

Potting soil is fine.  I put mine in the ground when it was very small, just a month old, after I sprouted it in potting soil.  I ringed it with galvanized ducting in the ground to keep the voles away.  

Putting a tree in the ground early has it's advantages.  The roots have room to grow.  Pots constrain them and can lead to later problems (girdling roots) if not transplanted properly.

My tree is doing fine in limestone (higher pH) soil.  Soil pH may not play as much a factor in cultivated trees as often thought.
View Quote

I forgot to say thanks for the reply.  I did end up using potting soil.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top