Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for anyone who hasn't seen this thread and might want to find some seeds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a set of triplets, approximately 150 years old here in Eastern NC next to a house that dates to 1831. My wifes family owned it for a decade or so. I sent leaves to a place in Charlottesville Va who then sent a couple of people out to ID and catalog them. They are out there but are extremely rare and usually isolated on old farms.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Thanks.  Sold out.

I can find seedlings, but I prefer planting them in the fall.  Planting them in the spring and keeping them alive through a dry summer is hit or miss.

I just transplanted some black walnuts that came from seed I put in a vegetable bed 2 years ago.  I hope I can keep them alive.

I'm 56yo.  My dad said, "25 years after you die, somebody might get some nuts off those trees."  I've planted a lot of trees that will never shade me.  I just hope
somebody in my family still owns them at that point.
View Quote
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This just came across my YT video; 8:34 long, fairly simple video about the American Chestnut Foundation.

Chestnut Trees Are Returning to Forests

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Moyockgunner:
There are a set of triplets, approximately 150 years old here in Eastern NC next to a house that dates to 1831. My wifes family owned it for a decade or so. I sent leaves to a place in Charlottesville Va who then sent a couple of people out to ID and catalog them. They are out there but are extremely rare and usually isolated on old farms.
View Quote

Do you have any pictures?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#7]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
This just came across my YT video; 8:34 long, fairly simple video about the American Chestnut Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbrY-J0bpto
View Quote

Gents, we will win. At everything.

The base word of Conservative is to conserve. It doesn't mean eliminate. Look at all the hunting lands bought by private organizations, money given to restore habitats. That was accomplished much better by private action.

You know how we get American Chesnuts back? We all plant a fuck ton of them, with our own money, and welcome scientists to study them if they live. That's it. It's that simple. And lots of them are going to die.

Get on a waiting list. Use this thread to connect with guys that have seeds. Do it yourself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Gents, we will win. At everything.

The base word of Conservative is to conserve. It doesn't mean eliminate. Look at all the hunting lands bought by private organizations, money given to restore habitats. That was accomplished much better by private action.

You know how we get American Chesnuts back? We all plant a fuck ton of them, with our own money, and welcome scientists to study them if they live. That's it. It's that simple. And lots of them are going to die.

Get on a waiting list. Use this thread to connect with guys that have seeds. Do it yourself.
View Quote

I was planning on getting a few to grow in north Idaho... but apparently they like we'll draining soil, and I'm on a hilltop that's basically pure clay as deep as my well :/
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbrY-J0bpto
View Quote

Coincidentally, the guest on Mike Rowe's podcast this week was Scott Mann (retired Green Beret who organized Operation Pineapple Express) and he mentioned how his 80-something year old dad was part of the foundation working on re-establishing the tree.  His dad did a Ted talk on it.  Great storyteller.

An American Tragedy, How a Mass Extinction Can Help Save Our Forest | Rex Mann | TEDxYoungstown
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
This is why we go outside. Awesome thread OP
View Quote

Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Resistance to urishol can change over time.

I’ve went from highly sensitive to immune to lightly sensitive in my lifetime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fingas:
I grew up thinking I was immune to poison ivy because I'd play in it with no issues.   So one day I offered to cut down some trees covered in it.  I ended up covered in blisters, apparently a few hours being sprayed with the sap was too much.

How in hell did you do that?

The OP's pic of it gave me the willies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
that's awesome, I live near Mariposa and it's really sad to see so few old trees. I found some aerial photos from the 1940s of the area and was shocked to see how barren most of the land was compared to today. People back then gave zero fucks and just stripped almost everything.
View Quote

The 40s? The WW2 war effort resulted in a lot of logging. Also, most people then were subsistance farmers, too. A lot that is now heavily forested, was not then.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/IMG_2971-3200547.jpg

We have tap roots sprouting after just a week in soil. So far 100% germination out of the 30 or so seeds we started.

We are moving them to deep root planters today to let them continue growing.
View Quote

Are you naked?  Lol!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

It’s possible, if you want to set up a bio dome facility and hermetically seal it. It’d have to be completely self contained with all kinds of measures to filter and kill the fungus.

You can assume that there are fugal spores everywhere in the atmosphere right now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
This is a stupid question , but is it not possible to grow them to maturity in a controlled, fungus-free environment (does the pathogen affect the seeds/nuts)? Or is that just too cost prohibitive?

It’s possible, if you want to set up a bio dome facility and hermetically seal it. It’d have to be completely self contained with all kinds of measures to filter and kill the fungus.

You can assume that there are fugal spores everywhere in the atmosphere right now.

IF you had a large enough distance between your trees and the sources of fungi (both other chestnuts and I believe some oaks can harbor it but not die) you could do it, sunlight is usually fairly lethal. If you had an island somewhere WAY off the coast (couple hundred miles, think Hawaii)  , and appropriate bio sanitation, (IE NOTHING comes in). you might be able to do it but your investment is huge and not econoically viable.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like to find some seeds to plant as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

How in hell did you do that?

The OP's pic of it gave me the willies.
View Quote

Most people's resistance will vary without doing anything consciously to change it.

I don't even begin to understand the mechanisms at play. I sort of suspect that you build a resistance to it; when I was a small kid I got it TERRIBLY and would be miserable for weeks, itchy and covered in Calamine(?) lotion. In college I could spend summer days wading through knee-deep patches of it with no ill effects at all. Now, I'll get a very, very slight rash once or twice per summer, usually in isolated tiny spots, and I sort of halfway suspect it's due to urushiol but usually don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fingas:
I grew up thinking I was immune to poison ivy because I'd play in it with no issues.   So one day I offered to cut down some trees covered in it.  I ended up covered in blisters, apparently a few hours being sprayed with the sap was too much.

It all depends on your microbiome.  Just like any other allergy.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#18]
I can't find seeds, but I ordered 5 seedlings from Treepro.  https://www.treepro.com/products/pure-american-chestnut-seedling

I will either put them in large pots or a large pile of compost for the summer and transplant them next winter.

I would still like some seeds if anybody finds a source.

Poison Ivy:  
I have a surveyor friend that gets it bad.  He was buying a little bottle of liquid that he drank each month that kept him from getting it.  He did some research and determined
the liquid was extracted from the plant.  Upon further research he found that people eat it to stay immune.  He started doing that and hasn't broken out since.  He said he gets the young
leaves off the plant and swallows it with water.  I haven't seen him do it, but he's not one to tell a story.

My immunity seems to be fading, I just got over a little rash, but it's not bad enough to chance eating it yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

Are you naked?  Lol!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
Originally Posted By ZW17:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/IMG_2971-3200547.jpg

We have tap roots sprouting after just a week in soil. So far 100% germination out of the 30 or so seeds we started.

We are moving them to deep root planters today to let them continue growing.

Are you naked?  Lol!

Don't ask a question you'd prefer not to know the answer to.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Great thread OP.
My wife's great aunt had a winged Elm and I took a cutting and now have a 5' sapling growing.
I'd love to have some American Chestnuts on my property ( we have 138 acres so I can probably find a spot)
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Scrote:

I do.
View Quote

👈 username is on point
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

OP, I would like to be on your list to receive some of the chestnuts, and would be more than happy to pay for them.  (You should not be out money to share these).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By governmentman:

I'll be sending leaf  samples to them for identification once leaves are on.

If they are the real deal, I'll happily share nuts, especially since the two on my FiL's side seem blight free.

OP, I would like to be on your list to receive some of the chestnuts, and would be more than happy to pay for them.  (You should not be out money to share these).

As would I OP.
Also, thanks for a cool thread, reminds me of the old arf.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't find seeds, but I ordered 5 seedlings from Treepro.  https://www.treepro.com/products/pure-american-chestnut-seedling

I will either put them in large pots or a large pile of compost for the summer and transplant them next winter.

I would still like some seeds if anybody finds a source.

Poison Ivy:  
I have a surveyor friend that gets it bad.  He was buying a little bottle of liquid that he drank each month that kept him from getting it.  He did some research and determined
the liquid was extracted from the plant.  Upon further research he found that people eat it to stay immune.  He started doing that and hasn't broken out since.  He said he gets the young
leaves off the plant and swallows it with water.  I haven't seen him do it, but he's not one to tell a story.

My immunity seems to be fading, I just got over a little rash, but it's not bad enough to chance eating it yet.
View Quote
Just ordered 5 trees.  We'll see how long it takes before I kill them.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#25]
Walked around and checked on the leaves.

More parts of the tree are alive than I thought. Plenty of individual dead branches, but most of the trunks are alive. I think the ivy was really strangling this old fella.

Attachment Attached File

Some parts I were certain were dead are still clinging to life.

Leaf closeup:

Attachment Attached File

Below are leaves from my in-laws chestnuts (which are completely healthy). Definitely different. More squared at the base, and shinier.

Attachment Attached File

My guess (and I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination) is the old fella on my land is a real American chestnut survivor, and my in-laws are European chestnuts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Question or weird idea or not maybe.
Is Ivy anti fungal?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Question or weird idea or not maybe.
Is Ivy anti fungal?
View Quote

In considered this, but the healthiest of the trunks was the least ivy covered. I think the ivy was doing as much or more harm than the blight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad I came across this thread.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]

More parts of the tree are alive than I thought. Plenty of individual dead branches, but most of the trunks are alive. I think the ivy was really strangling this old fella.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502112711_-_Copy_jpg-3204022.JPG

Leaf closeup:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502113241_-_Copy_-_Copy_jpg-3204027.JPG

Below are leaves from my in-laws chestnuts (which are completely healthy). Definitely different. More squared at the base, and shinier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502112625_-_Copy_jpg-3204028.JPG

My guess (and I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination) is the old fella on my land is a real American chestnut survivor, and my in-laws are European chestnuts.
View Quote

OP that is so awesome
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Will these grow in N. Texas?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#31]
just curious would you care to share the county you are in
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
View Quote

Only one way to find out
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:
View Quote

I'm in Berks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm in Berks.
View All Quotes

I'm in Berks.

Berks is awesome your sheriff is based as fuck he issued my permit
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502112711_-_Copy_jpg-3204022.JPG

Leaf closeup:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502113241_-_Copy_-_Copy_jpg-3204027.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329177/IMG20240502112625_-_Copy_jpg-3204028.JPG

View Quote
Sure looks like AC to me:

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I'm in Berks.

Sheriff Weaknecht is a really good dude.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Only one way to find out
View All Quotes

Only one way to find out

I don't want to take one away from someone else if my environment is not conducive for the tree.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Only one way to find out
View All Quotes

Only one way to find out
Natural range:

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I'm in Berks.

Totally agree. I'll just say one more thing and back to Chestnuts. I asked GD which Pennsylvania sheriff was the best on 2A and even other counties agreed in PA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]

I don't want to take one away from someone else if my environment is not conducive for the tree.
View All Quotes

Only one way to find out

Good man.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#41]
According to that map I am about 30 miles outside its natural range. If they like well draining soil then I have a woods to plant one in as its mostly a sandy soil.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm in Berks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Poison Ivy:  

View Quote

@trails-end

What is this liquid your friend was drinking?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greyswandir] [#44]
My plant app says it’s American chestnut. Attachment Attached File

For reference I ran the other pic you posted through the app as well
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#45]
Originally Posted By Greyswandir:
My plant app says it’s American chestnut. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383490/IMG_4777_png-3204098.JPG

For reference I ran the other pic you posted through the app as well
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383490/IMG_4779_png-3204100.JPG
View Quote

Sweet! I love it when technology agrees with me!

I'll be sending samples off for expert identification in a week or so
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, without a second American chestnut in your vicinity, either the nuts will be sterile or a hybrid with the non-American chestnuts on your property.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

@trails-end
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Poison Ivy:  

@trails-end

@MaxxII

Oral Ivy

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Id love to buy some chestnuts if it's truly an american. They'll be going in mature oak hickory and walnut timber in the limestone River bluffs of the MO river in NW MO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#49]
The village smithy stands...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#50]
The village smithy stands...
Page / 8
Top Top