Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

One could argue he forced copper and lead to enter the innocent guys body.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
Originally Posted By UV18:
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Nothing says exigent circumstances like a Karen who "heard" a "slap" two weeks prior, and showing up to an "escalating" "domestic" where not a single individual involved requested help, and which cannot be heard to be occurring when the officer arrives...

Exigency is not in this anywhere. No forced entry. No breaking the plane. Nothing. You used this argument in the other post BUT there is no entry or forced entry to show any exigent circumstances were even a consideration.

One could argue he forced copper and lead to enter the innocent guys body.

That would be a seizure though. Not a search aspect
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I said the killer wouldn’t be charged.  That doesn’t mean it was justified.
View Quote

I don't think it is either and called it as excusable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I said the killer wouldn’t be charged.  That doesn’t mean it was justified.

That’s a good term what with making excuses for shooting an innocent man in his home.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:

Are these guys just functioning alcoholics or what?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:
The sheriff's office recently came under scrutiny after one of its deputies resigned following an internal investigation last year of an incident in which he fired his weapon multiple times at a detained suspect after mistaking the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of his patrol vehicle as a gunshot

Are these guys just functioning alcoholics or what?

Maybe not so much the "functioning" part ....
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#5]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
my (worthless) two cents...

look at the examples of crazies these days shooting and knifing cops. it can happen in a an instant. cops gotta have that in the back of their minds.

so i watched the vid. cop loudly bangs on door announces who he is, more than once. there appears to be a peep hole in the door. cop has heard that there is a potential domestic violence issue currently happening. those are some of the most dangerous cases. cop is alone. owner/renter opens door and is standing there with a pistol in his hand at his side. cop unloads into guy. its sad but its an amped situation. i wonder how many here would see the gun and not panic but take some other action. the guy at the door could have easily raised the gun and shot the cop at point blank range.

the thing that i suspect will never be answered is didnt the guy know it was a cop? did he look through the peep hole? he obviously heard the guy banging on the door did he not hear the buy annouce he was a cop? cop gets into a situation with an unknown person with a gun he has micro seconds to make decisions.
View Quote

You describe some great points about how his was a crisis of his own creation.

The officer was given a vague fourth person description of a potential verbal altercation with a weird tangent about something that happened somewhere a couple pf weeks ago.  Then when he listened he didn’t appear to hear any signs of violence inside.  Instead of waiting for the second unit or even knocking politely he pounds on the door, increasing the tension on both sides of it rather than keeping the situation calm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]

look at the examples of crazies these days shooting and knifing cops. it can happen in a an instant. cops gotta have that in the back of their minds.

so i watched the vid. cop loudly bangs on door announces who he is, more than once. there appears to be a peep hole in the door. cop has heard that there is a potential domestic violence issue currently happening. those are some of the most dangerous cases. cop is alone. owner/renter opens door and is standing there with a pistol in his hand at his side. cop unloads into guy. its sad but its an amped situation. i wonder how many here would see the gun and not panic but take some other action. the guy at the door could have easily raised the gun and shot the cop at point blank range.

the thing that i suspect will never be answered is didnt the guy know it was a cop? did he look through the peep hole? he obviously heard the guy banging on the door did he not hear the buy annouce he was a cop? cop gets into a situation with an unknown person with a gun he has micro seconds to make decisions.
View Quote

Yep. It was the Airman’s fault he got deaded.  Just the price of doing business in today’s world.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

Yep. It was the Airman’s fault he got deaded.  Just the price of doing business in today’s world.  
View Quote

in a way its everyones fault. crazy folks armed with knives and guns out in the wild everywhere. violence against cops seems to be a trend. cops shooting first and asking questions later seems to be a trend. emptying your gun into the target is a trend.

i guess the best way to handle the situation would be to call  for backup including swat. make sure you have a guy at the head of the stack before the door is opened so you have the luxury of dealing with the situation behind a shield.

question for folks here. youre armed at knight you walk around the corner and there is a guy standing there, two feet away with a gun at his side. what would your reaction be?

there is a lot of fear an tension everywhere. some cops panic sooner than others. ive seen it myself
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#8]
I don't recall seeing this one in the thread.
Analysis starts around 7 minutes if you already saw the press conference.

BODYCAM: Shows 23YO Airman Killed Over Nothing | BAD SHOOT
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]

in a way its everyones fault. crazy folks armed with knives and guns out in the wild everywhere. violence against cops seems to be a trend. cops shooting first and asking questions later seems to be a trend. emptying your gun into the target is a trend.

i guess the best way to handle the situation would be to call  for backup including swat. make sure you have a guy at the head of the stack before the door is opened so you have the luxury of dealing with the situation behind a shield.

question for folks here. youre armed at knight you walk around the corner and there is a guy standing there, two feet away with a gun at his side. what would your reaction be?

there is a lot of fear an tension everywhere. some cops panic sooner than others. ive seen it myself
View All Quotes

No difference between knight (LOL) or day - as a civilian ,  I’m creating distance.  As someone who would be getting paid to handle stuff like this?  Multiple options are available depending on totality of the situation and what i know at the moment the encounter starts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:
I don't recall seeing this one in the thread.
Analysis starts around 7 minutes if you already saw the press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykpgYNHW28
View Quote

I think the genesis of the situation will be just as damning as the actual shooting.  This was essentially a vague noise complaint by a Karen. Once he went up there and didn't hear anything he should have turned around and left.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#11]

View Quote

Funny your example of “what would you do if you come around a corner” as it’s exactly what Acorn Popps understudy had.  I don’t know about you but I would go BACK around that corner from which I just came.  Simultaneously I would probably be yelling to stay the fuck back from my side of the corner if you don’t want your ass shot.  But that’s just me, wanting to fight behind cover and all.  Probably be called a nutless boomer for not opening up on the young black man.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Francisco_dAnconia:
Gee, I dunno ... maybe the dude brandishing a weapon?

WTF does that have to do with this scenario?

RKBA does not cover brandishing.  You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.  Or don't open the door.  If you choose the stupid option instead then expect the knocker to interpret you as the threat.

It has nothing to do with "local govt employees acting like they own your property."  Like I said initially cops or Girl Scouts -- it doesn't matter.  (I thought govt employees were overpaid union-protected slackers.  Shouldn't they be the ones owning property?)
View Quote

You are going to jail for a very long time with this line of reasoning. You most absolutely have the right to open carry a firearm. As well as in your hand, at port arms and so on.

The only way you would be justified in shooting is if the open carrier pointed the gun at you. Why you think this is any different from the officers is beyond me.

Pretty sure you have no idea how the law works, you and officer trigger happy are about to get a very hard lesson in it.

By your line of reasoning a Game Warden can shoot anyone because pretty much everyone he comes across is not only armed but open carrying.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

I think the genesis of the situation will be just as damning as the actual shooting.  This was essentially a vague noise complaint by a Karen. Once he went up there and didn't hear anything he should have turned around and left.
View Quote

The deputy could (and I would argue should) do a knock and voluntary discussion.
As it turns out, he's .mil and very unlikely to blow off a voluntary talk with LE.
But 'voluntary' went out the window the instant he yelled an order to open the door.

Knock once, knock again and announce you're with the sheriff's department, and either that initiates a discussion or you clear the scene and go back to 10-8.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Cop was really fast on the trigger however, he pretty clearly knocked and announced himself and at that point someone answering the door probably shouldn't be brandishing a gun like that guy did.
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Senseless. wtf.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Weird.... Your daughter is being beaten inside an apartment. Neighbors call the police.

Cops show up and don't hear anything because she is knocked out on the floor. Cops should just leave, right? No noise so why even make contact?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Like I said…keep jerking off to pictures of  Eric Estrada in his chips uniform, the deputy is not going to prison for ass raping. Although tragic, the dude should not have answered his door knowing it was Jonny law and  drew on him

I enjoy the analogy with this case and others….‘the mere presence of a firearm’ uh, the dude unholstered and drew on the deputy…..in that situation he didn’t need to identify himself or issue warning

Absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a gun, but if you pull it on a cop you’re going to meet your maker…what’s so hard to understand?
View Quote

Did we watch thr same video? First pretty sure he did not know it was LEOs until it was too late. He looked like a confused kid trying to figure out what was going on.

Maybe you have a different video? I don't see him drawing a gun at anytime or even pointing it at the officers.

It doesn't work that way no matter how much you try to make it. The relevant cases have been posted earlier but you apparently chose not to read them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Weird.... Your daughter is being beaten inside an apartment. Neighbors call the police.

Cops show up and don't hear anything because she is knocked out on the floor. Cops should just leave, right? No noise so why even make contact?
View All Quotes

That’s exactly what the cop would have had to do if the victim didn’t open the door.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Warrants exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tallahasseezz] [#20]

View Quote

For the beating that took place two weeks ago? He was alone in the apartment and talking to somebody on the phone. Going to be really interesting to find out who the mystery Karen who instigated this is. And what her relationship and prior contact to the victim was.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Warrants exist for a reason.
View Quote

You won't get a warrant for that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]

For the beating that took place two weeks ago? He was alone in the apartment and talking to somebody on the phone. Going to be really interesting to find out who the mystery Karen who instigated this is. And what her relationship and prior contact to the victim was.
View Quote

Good dancing. How did anyone else know he was alone? Making contact was a reasonable step.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]

You won't get a warrant for that.
View Quote

That’s your clue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Mighty fine police work there...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wvfarrier] [#25]
I am a former LEO and here is my .02 is that cop f!@$$ up.   He beat on the door and did not annoumce until it was too late and he was WAY too fast pulling tbe trigger.   A LEO cannot legally fire upon someone in their own home unless there is an immediate threat.  Simply holding a firearm down at your side does not constitute hostile act/hostile intent.  Now, in reality, nothing will happen criminally but maybe, just maybe he can be sued
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Good dancing. How did anyone else know he was alone? Making contact was a reasonable step.
View All Quotes

I would argue it was a non-consentual encounter based on the pounding on the door and the officer’s choice of words.

So he started with an illegal detention then decided to double down to unreasonable legal force.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

look at the examples of crazies [cops] these days shooting and knifing [people]. it can happen in a an instant. [people] gotta have that in the back of their minds.

Does your statement work both ways?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:59:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#28]
Originally Posted By Phil_Billy:

Did we watch thr same video? First pretty sure he did not know it was LEOs until it was too late. He looked like a confused kid trying to figure out what was going on.

Maybe you have a different video? I don't see him drawing a gun at anytime or even pointing it at the officers.

It doesn't work that way no matter how much you try to make it. The relevant cases have been posted earlier but you apparently chose not to read them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Phil_Billy:
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Like I said…keep jerking off to pictures of  Eric Estrada in his chips uniform, the deputy is not going to prison for ass raping. Although tragic, the dude should not have answered his door knowing it was Jonny law and  drew on him

I enjoy the analogy with this case and others….‘the mere presence of a firearm’ uh, the dude unholstered and drew on the deputy…..in that situation he didn’t need to identify himself or issue warning

Absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a gun, but if you pull it on a cop you’re going to meet your maker…what’s so hard to understand?

He’s already said he is “shit posting”. I’ve heard tell that folks intentionally posting to get a negative reaction will get one in trouble around here but I don’t know how it applies to police officers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

Doesn't matter the case. The BTB crowd are just like Biden or Trump zealots. Their side can do no wrong.
View Quote

don’t worry, they’re all focusing on their OPlive thread now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

The kid was in his own home, engaged in perfectly lawful behavior.

I understand the cop was responding to a call, but he then murdered a kid doing nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#31]
my first 10-12 months on active duty, I lived in a shitty neighborhood, cheap apartment.  Usually had a gun on me when I answered the door.  When nothing good happens in an area, you are prepared.  Too bad that guy got shot for opening his door
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Knock and talk all you want.  Maybe some people are upset at shooting someone within two seconds with no warning, just because they had a gun held at their side, pointed down, with their other hand empty, and held out, saying hang on a sec.

But sure, the only thing to do with a person in their residence holding a gun in a non-threatening manner is to kill them in seconds.

Lets surprise the cop on any random day, and if he shows up at the door with anything resembling a weapon, ventilate him without a chance to drop anything, or even have a conversation?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]

The kid was in his own home, engaged in perfectly lawful behavior.

I understand the cop was responding to a call, but he then murdered a kid doing nothing wrong.
View Quote

What bothers me most about this is the payment of money to the bereaved family is the default justification for this:  Officer MAYBE gets some kind of reprimand, MAYBE.  But Got Damn did you see that settlement those darkies got from that blood sucking lawyer?  Hell, he even used AI to make a thumb nail to get clicks.

Yeah, whatever makes you sleep well at night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Never answer the door.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:

Never answer the door.

View Quote

When criminals have been at my front door, they have been deterred when they realized I was prepared.  Guess cops can just ventilate someone for being prepared?

Wonder what that does to government/citizen relationships?

Wonder if that relationship might be repaired by holding government agents accountable?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rmakak:
my first 10-12 months on active duty, I lived in a shitty neighborhood, cheap apartment.  Usually had a gun on me when I answered the door.  When nothing good happens in an area, you are prepared.  Too bad that guy got shot for opening his door
View Quote

I’m old enough to remember a time when the “good” folks in the otherwise rough neighborhood were considered an asset to the police.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#37]
The question becomes what cout jurisdiction this falls to

Crestview courthouse, Okaloosa County? Or FWB?

Oh boy, Crestuckians don't take to no outsiders
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jason280] [#38]
He exhibited it, in a rude manner, and in a manner that is easily understood as threatening (otherwise he would have holstered or put it down before opening the door.)
View Quote
How can you misconstrue anything the young man did as either "in a rude manner" or "threatening"? The mere possession of a firearm at your side, finger off the trigger, and with your opposite hand up in a what is clearly a defensive position is not threatening.

It amazes me the levels some people will go to defend this sort of behavior.  What's really sad is the cop will likely never be charged, the guy will still be dead, and the family will win the Tax-Payer LottoR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#39]

What bothers me most about this is the payment of money to the bereaved family is the default justification for this:  Officer MAYBE gets some kind of reprimand, MAYBE.  But Got Damn did you see that settlement those darkies got from that blood sucking lawyer?  Hell, he even used AI to make a thumb nail to get clicks.

Yeah, whatever makes you sleep well at night.
View Quote

A cop killed an innocent kid.

What makes me sick is the “reasonable officer” standard, QI, etc.

A cop killed an innocent kid. In a situation created entirely by his presence, justified by wearing a uniform. And it is being excused and justified.  If part of your job description excuses killing innocent people as the cost of doing business, something is broken.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Knock and talk all you want.  Maybe some people are upset at shooting someone within two seconds with no warning, just because they had a gun held at their side, pointed down, with their other hand empty, and held out, saying hang on a sec.

But sure, the only thing to do with a person in their residence holding a gun in a non-threatening manner is to kill them in seconds.

Lets surprise the cop on any random day, and if he shows up at the door with anything resembling a weapon, ventilate him without a chance to drop anything, or even have a conversation?
View All Quotes

You poor summer child.  You still believe in the social contract that we were all indoctrinated to adhere to;  that the authorities would not target you if you were being a good citizen and following the law.  The game is set up where the house has the odds stacked against you. Right or wrong, what the law as written actually says is weighted in the government’s favor.

You can bet your ass that their are multiples of people wearing badges over at the officers house who killed that kid right now.  Giving hugs and convincing each other that this high speed low drag AC130 gunner got what was coming to him, even though he had no idea he was in trouble in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#41]

A cop killed an innocent kid.

What makes me sick is the “reasonable officer” standard, QI, etc.

A cop killed an innocent kid. In a situation created entirely by his presence, justified by wearing a uniform. And it is being excused and justified.  If part of your job description excuses killing innocent people as the cost of doing business, something is broken.

View Quote

I wish I could have stated this as good as you did.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]

I wish I could have stated this as good as you did.
View Quote

Shit happens, I get it. Spit second decisions regarding life or death, incomplete information, judgement calls, etc…

But this cop fucked up. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. The LE community should be unequivocally condemning what happened, and promising to learn from it, and get better. Training improvements, etc….

You don’t get to kill an innocent kid and let it amount to “oh well”. At least you sure shouldn’t.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Weird I don't want my son or daughter killed by some over zealous gun happy cop either, or any other innocent law-abiding citizen. The cops the one that signed for like the 40th most dangerous job not me or any other civilian.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Gabby Gifford tier tampon wringing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Young cops today go to guns way to quick.  

I hope the family gets paid.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#46]

You poor summer child.  You still believe in the social contract that we were all indoctrinated to adhere to;  that the authorities would not target you if you were being a good citizen and following the law.  The game is set up where the house has the odds stacked against you. Right or wrong, what the law as written actually says is weighted in the government’s favor.

You can bet your ass that their are multiples of people wearing badges over at the officers house who killed that kid right now.  Giving hugs and convincing each other that this high speed low drag AC130 gunner got what was coming to him, even though he had no idea he was in trouble in the first place.
View All Quotes

Fun fact, I've had flashing lights at my house in the last couple years.  Somehow, the firefighters didn't drive through my gate since they didn't see signs of the fire they were dispatched to, and didn't feel the need to assert their power.  I was armed, didn't aim anything at them, and we bullshitted about how it's hard to find things based on vague info.  That said, if anything vaguely approaching red and blue shows up at my gate, I'm going to be armed, stay behind solid cover, and call 911.  I will not interact with cops that show up uninvited.  I do not trust them.  I do not know them personally.

I spent over a decade in the USAF.  I fully believe in the ideals.  I understand how quickly a cop, if unethical, could fuck over my professional career.  Trusting a cop I do not know is an unacceptable risk given the downsides.  They can call and coordinate.  My phone number is on all gates to the outside.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

View Quote
Honestly, what does this accomplish?  Tax payers will fund the settlement, the officer will likely get no more than a stern verbal warning (if that), and the young man will still be dead.  Until the money starts coming out of departmental budgets or pension plans, this behavior isn't going to change.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
Young cops today go to guns way to quick.  

View Quote

They will. But that fixes nothing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MSGTUSAF:

Weird I don't want my son or daughter killed by some over zealous gun happy cop either, or any other innocent law-abiding citizen. The cops the one that signed for like the 40th most dangerous job not me or any other civilian.
View Quote

So, the police shouldn't contact anyone at anytime unless they hear something...... according to GD.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]

So, the police shouldn't contact anyone at anytime unless they hear something...... according to GD.
View Quote

No.

But silence is not probable cause to enter a private residence, just because some Karen called 911.
Page / 44
Top Top