[Last Edit: brass]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:40:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By brass:

Also: Jodie Foster is a total smoke show.
View Quote
Gross.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#4]
I actually liked Elysium, but yeah, it’s the kind of story where the bad guys win. Fast forward a few years and Elysium station would have been turned into a dump before burning up and crashing to the earth’s surface.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Also: Jodie Foster is a total smoke show.
View Quote

*was
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thx op!  Will watch
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HKocher:
I actually liked Elysium, but yeah, it's the kind of story where the bad guys win. Fast forward a few years and Elysium station would have been turned into a dump before burning up and crashing to the earth's surface.
View Quote
Yet why not equip every factory with a healing machine?

If they had a technology why not share it with the workers?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I actually liked Elysium, but yeah, it's the kind of story where the bad guys win. Fast forward a few years and Elysium station would have been turned into a dump before burning up and crashing to the earth's surface.

bc only the rich deserve health care, duh!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Probably did, but they got the copper stripped out of them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Good movie
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I stopped watching all hollywood after grand torino.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:15:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Population control, if they don't die off then it gets even more crowded. Just look at birth rates among the lower income in this and other countries. I am not saying its good or bad just what it is.

Let's be honest the world needs classes, you make everyone the same no one will want to flip burgers, dig ditches etc. As much as my empathy says it sucks that we need a lower class ( or lower middle ) my brutal honesty says its needed. If you have some that are just never gonna be better than a framer, you will at least have framers. Yes capitalism could make the pay high enough to be a framer, but most would not want to do it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bennjammin:

bc only the rich deserve health care, duh!
View Quote

Same argument could be made for our current immigration problems. Why do only Americans deserve the chance to live out the American dream simply because we are already here legally?

Besides, in the movie they don’t really delve into how these autodocs work. We are assuming they run off of hopes and dreams and have unlimited use. Perhaps they require a lot of expensive chemicals and resources per use. Or maybe they cost a billion bucks a piece and are only good for 100 major procedures.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Elysium was good, so long as you realize we live there. Everywhere outside North America is pretty resource poor without global supply chains.

I liked Rounders, mostly for the KGB jokes at actual poker tables.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Jim Carrey in a serious role.

Movie has gratuitous nudity and violence starting with the opening credits, which I find odd for something on YouTube - Uploaded to "YouTube Movies" by YouTube and not some random user.

Story is actually pretty good and could have done without the over the top levels of sadistic sex, IMHO.   Honestly, Jim Carrey has very few lines and most of it is expression and he actually does a not total shit job of it, after being severely typecast as a goofball, he isn't the same guy, the beard helps, so does not talking I suppose, and when he does talk, it's a lot lower tone, slow voice.

NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if8yP3_QrsE

View Quote

Carey has rather transformed personally in the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:58:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#22]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Let's be honest the world needs classes, you make everyone the same no one will want to flip burgers, dig ditches etc. As much as my empathy says it sucks that we need a lower class ( or lower middle ) my brutal honesty says its needed. If you have some that are just never gonna be better than a framer, you will at least have framers. Yes capitalism could make the pay high enough to be a framer, but most would not want to do it.
View Quote

Exactly, with Capitalism, I want you to be poor, and for you to serve me and elevate my experience. Conversely, you want me to be poor, and for me to serve you and elevate your experience.

The struggle to dominate involves many factors, which determine who wins and who loses, but there will always be a hierarchy. "Some men are more equal than others".
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#28]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:27:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#30]
It was really fucking disappointing that one of the coolest sci-fi weapons of all time was only featured on screen in Elysium for a few minutes.

Elysium (BluRay x264) - Chemrail Gun Scenes

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#31]
OP check out the "DUST" channel if you don't mind the short story format.

https://www.youtube.com/@watchdust

I believe it is run by Neill Blomkamp of District 9. High production value and good stories.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:36:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#32]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#34]

Movie has gratuitous nudity and violence starting with the opening credits, which I find odd for something on YouTube - Uploaded to "YouTube Movies" by YouTube and not some random user.

Story is actually pretty good and could have done without the over the top levels of sadistic sex, IMHO.   Honestly, Jim Carrey has very few lines and most of it is expression and he actually does a not total shit job of it, after being severely typecast as a goofball, he isn't the same guy, the beard helps, so does not talking I suppose, and when he does talk, it's a lot lower tone, slow voice.

NSFW:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

NSFW:

Carey seems to have gone through a personal metamorphasis of sorts, much like Russel Brand.

Control. Same reason the middle class is being squeezed by people who have more wealth than they could ever need or know what to do with, because more is never enough.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Iconic Disaster Movie I Threads (1984) | Real Drama

Threads. What "The Day After" should have been.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Carey seems to have gone through a personal metamorphasis of sorts, much like Russel Brand.

Control. Same reason the middle class is being squeezed by people who have more wealth than they could ever need or know what to do with, because more is never enough.
View Quote

They want ten generations of their offspring to live life without ever having to "work".  That's what the wealth accumulation is all about.

The founders would have objected to this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

View Quote

The movie never explains how the machine works or resources needed to make it work.

For all we know, the machine requires the blood and stem cells from 87 babies for each use.

Movie is dumb. The machine is a representation of what the US medical system looks like to illegals.

Get across the border, have a baby, use the ED as your primary care, NEVER pay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top